Home
Posted By: FieldGrade Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/18/19
I bought a Chuck Roast yesterday that I plan on turning into a pot roast but I don't want to heat the house up with the oven so I'm going to cook it on the stove top.

All the recipes I see on the interweb say not to cover it but my gut says otherwise.

Anybody cook pot roast on the stove top and if so do you cover it?

Thanks
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/18/19
Use your DO and cover that bad boy !! Simmer open till it starts getting tender adding veggies later on or in steps. Harder veggs first and softer towards the end. Cover. I like adding my seasonings in steps rather than a dump.

Take notes and the next time you're golden.

Don't forget the corn starch for that gravy bread dipping.
I like my beef chunks to be tongue tender so I generally cut them into larger pieces as the smaller ones get kinda mushy.

YMMV
Posted By: Judman Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/18/19
Got a crockpot Charlie?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/18/19
Yup, yup yup, wife makes a great stove top braised pot roast in enameled dutch oven. I know you got that nice one from Big Jim.

Brown roast in a little oil on all sides before adding liquid and cooking covered on low for a few hours. I like mine really dark brown before braising.

Heres a good basic recipe from Tyler Perry. Reminds me of the pot roasts mom used to make.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/braised-pot-roast-with-vegetables-recipe-1914232
Posted By: Gus Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/18/19
cook it w/a lid. maybe foil between lid and pot to seal it even better.

it's stew. people been eating a version of it for 10,000 years.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/18/19
We always do ours in a crock pot. I can't even remember the last time we cooked a roast in the oven. Stove top should work just as well as a crock pot going low and slow.
I would definitely use a lid.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/18/19
No crock pot Jud but I have three CI DO's.

Denny.....I'm not worried about gravy......I'll probably eat one meal the day I make it but I really bought it to make Hash.

I usually season em with what ever sounds good that day and then brown all four sides. Then it's in the oven but I figure a DO with the lid on should accomplish the same thing. We'll see.
DO is your friend.
Season with peppered flour. Roll it.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/19/19
I've cooked many a pot roast in an electric skillet that was covered. I say cover that SOB.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/19/19
Yeah, Mike. Electric skillet is soo versatile.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/19/19
When my brother was in college and I went to visit him during his freshman and sophomore years in the dorm we would do the electric skillet pot roast with carrots and potatoes and then make gravy. Kids would come out of the woodwork to see what was going on in his room. We used to feed a few, but we would run out in a hurry!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/19/19
Munchies ? laugh
Posted By: EdM Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/19/19
After the first hour of any of my simmers it is taste and tweak until done. Pasta sauce with meat and without, beef stew, chili verde or Colorado... By the time dinner comes I am usually full.
Posted By: deltakid Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/19/19
I have used a pressure cooker for years - works like a champ for me and does not heat up the house, plus, I can have dinner ready in under 2 hours if necessary.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/19/19
It worked great. It was a small roast (just over two pounds) so I used my favorite pan. The lid to mom's old chicken fryer fits it like a glove......the perfect bachelors dutch oven.

[Linked Image]

I put it on about 5:30 and took it off at 2:00. Pulls apart with a fork. I forgot I was out of potato's so I'll have to do without tonight. I'll get some Monday. I grind the onions and the carrots that are left over with the beef but I prefer to dice the potato's so they don't turn to mush so it'll work out just fine.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/21/19
That really looks good! I might have to do a roast tomorrow for Sunday dinner.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/21/19
A thing of beauty.

Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/21/19
Since I didn't make gravy I also ended up with a couple of cups of delicious broth that I have big plans for in the next day or two.....win...win. smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/21/19
Chuck roast is becoming my new favorite.

Looks dang nice Charlie.
Posted By: Judman Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/21/19
Hell ya looks great Charlie!!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/21/19
Yep. Some parker house roll to sop up them juices would be just right.
Did it really not heat your house as much?

You have been remembering to close the door on your oven haven't you?
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Yep. Some parker house roll to sop up them juices would be just right.

Yes it would have but I saved it to use for the gravy in this dish I plan to make tomorrow.

I'll cook it on top of the stove too.

https://www.recipetineats.com/one-pan-sausage-and-vegetable-bake-with-gravy/

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Did it really not heat your house as much?

You have been remembering to close the door on your oven haven't you?

HAHA......that is something I would do but in this case it really did keep the heat down.
Originally Posted by Judman

If you think it looks good now wait till you see it all ground up with a fried egg or two setting on top.

If you think it looks good now wait till you see it all ground up with a fried egg or two setting on top.

Oooookay. Thats what you meant by grinding.

Hash like you said.

I thought maybe it was a sausage recipe.

I dont know how to make hash I guess.
Hash is easy to make Jim. Course grind the left over roast and onions.....if there's any carrots left I grind them too but that's optional. The potato's seem to turn to mush when ground so I dice em fine by hand. Add some spices and mix it up......I use a little nutmeg and cayenne but use what you like.

Throw some in a frying pan and brown it real well......a splash of 1/2 & 1/2 at the end and press it into a patty.

Top with fried eggs and hot sauce.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/21/19
You guys are an inspiration. Wouldn't be the first time that pics like above have me draggin' out the grocery list and adding to it based on a tasty looking thread.

Not this time tho'. Both my freezers are full to the top and it's too damn hot to cook. laugh

Gonna be cold soups, cool summer sammies, salads, and sweet tea for awhile.
The old timers here had a separate cook shack for summer time.

We have an outside kitchen set up.

Three burner camp stove, kettle grill, gas grill, smoker and a turkey cooker.

Cold food is for animals!
Posted By: 44mc Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/21/19
I have a full kitchen set up in my barn . I like it better than the house just get the hose out to clean up the mess. my wife likes it also she puts something in the oven out side don't heat up the house
I have the bachelor version Jim....14" Weber Kettle.....Hibachi....2 burner Camp Chef.

I have a Turkey Fryer as well but I use it to boil and wax traps. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/22/19
Looks fantastic Charlie.

Love ya DO too !
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/22/19
Thanks Paul......it's really just a skillet and an old lid but it works great for small stuff.

I'm on my way to town to get some spuds today so I can turn it into hash tomorrow......can't wait.
Posted By: Judman Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/22/19
Charlie has a damn nice outdoor kitchen area, view ain’t too bad either!!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/22/19
Charlie has a damn nice outdoor kitchen area, view ain’t too bad either!!

An old shack with a view of a beautiful river.....herds of Deer and Turkeys....and a flock of Hummers.
IOW.... A geezers paradise. smile

Oh yea.....and a cool old table. wink
Posted By: ironbender Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/22/19
Living the geezer dream, Charlie!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/23/19
Well.....I turned the rest of the roast into Hash today.

I also made a small batch of Hunters Sausage while I had the grinder set up.

I'm not sure which is better.....having a month or more's breakfast fixings in the freezer or the fact that I had to drink a beer before noon (the sausage recipe calls for 1/2 cup of beer and I couldn't see wasting the rest)

That's about half of the hash....the rest is in the freezer.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/23/19
Damn that was a big roast.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/23/19
It was only 2 lb's and I ate some of it......I think the picture makes things look bigger than they are.

The Sausage patties look like burgers but they're only about 2.5 oz's.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/23/19
Good eating right there charlie!
Posted By: buttstock Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/31/19
..... I don't want to heat the house up with the oven so I'm going to cook it on the stove top.

Pot roast cooks for hours. Won't the stove top option add as much heat as an oven??

Get the crock pot out, and definitely cover it.

I put a salt and pepper rub on it roast, then put a ring of garlic cloves on the bottom of the crock pot. Cook on "low" for about 6 hours. Flip the roast over at the 4 hour mark if you can.

Cook's Country magazine had an article about pot roast a few years ago. They stressed the importance of low , long, moist heat to break down the fatty tissue. Some recipes call for searng the outside of the roast in a hot skillet with oil ( seals in moisture). Tried it. Didn't notice any difference.

If it is hot ( summer) , may not be the best time to cook a pot roast with Dutch oven. Crock pot time.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/31/19
Originally Posted by buttstock
..... I don't want to heat the house up with the oven so I'm going to cook it on the stove top.

Pot roast cooks for hours. Won't the stove top option add as much heat as an oven??

Get the crock pot out, and definitely cover it.

I put a salt and pepper rub on it roast, then put a ring of garlic cloves on the bottom of the crock pot. Cook on "low" for about 6 hours. Flip the roast over at the 4 hour mark if you can.

Cook's Country magazine had an article about pot roast a few years ago. They stressed the importance of low , long, moist heat to break down the fatty tissue. Some recipes call for searng the outside of the roast in a hot skillet with oil ( seals in moisture). Tried it. Didn't notice any difference.

If it is hot ( summer) , may not be the best time to cook a pot roast with Dutch oven. Crock pot time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/31/19
What kind of box a of puppies doesn't include Labs? grin
[Linked Image]

wink
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/31/19
Your not gonna switch that pic with another of a large man-woman are ya?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/31/19
Thats more like it!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 07/31/19
FG when I cook a big roast like that anyway I stab it 18-20 times with one of those square rotissiere shafts then push a garlic kernel into them, give that a try. MB
I do that once in a while Bob......it's especially good for Venison roasts. I just poke em with a knife though
Posted By: mathman Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 08/01/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Thats more like it!

Nah.

This is more like it:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 08/01/19
One is available right now. At any bar across the country.

The other is only available at least 20 years ago for most of us.....or never was available.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 08/01/19
Cathy told me, while we were showering together, that way back when, she used to have a thing for you, MathMan !!
Posted By: mathman Re: Stove Top Pot Roast - 08/01/19
Definitely a pretty Persian.
© 24hourcampfire