Home
OK guys !What are your favorite ingredients you use in canned tuna salad for a refreshing summer sandwich or for those that enjoy theirs plated on a bed of lettuce.

My TS is pretty basic using just tuna, onion, finely chopped celery, a dash of celery salt, chopped hard boiled egg, Dukes or store brand, sweet pickle relish and just the smallest dash of yellow mustard.

Add a little thyme. Always good with fish.

I don't add pickles of any sort or egg or mustard.

My TS is pretty basic using just tuna, onion, finely chopped celery, a dash of celery salt, chopped hard boiled egg, Dukes or store brand, sweet pickle relish and just the smallest dash of yellow mustard.

[/quote] Sounds like you have it under control.. I like it on toasted bread for sandwiches. The only problem is where to get decent canned tuna? Obviously, this isn't the 50s and 60s anymore and Charlie must have been eaten long ago.
Can of tuna....chopped dill pickle, chopped onion, and Johnny's season salt.

A rank amateur I see!
Mommas homemade mayo, home canned pickles diced up
Boiled egg diced, tablespoon sweet pickle relish, tablespoon of sugar, 3 tablespoons mayo, small can of tuna or one of those big foil pouches of tuna.
Originally Posted by Judman
Mommas homemade mayo, home canned pickles diced up

I would like to see recipes for both!
And home canned tuna of course!! šŸ¤£
Originally Posted by Judman
And home canned tuna of course!! šŸ¤£

Thanks, Judman. I knew you would come thru for us. Takes the rascals a bit longer to make it to Nebraska but I will get out and catch some as soon as they get here.
Need to come out to the coast or roll down to Mexico, theyā€™re damn fun to catch, and probably a little fresher!!! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
You could also add a little dill or tarragon but would probably be too much if you're using pickles. How about chives instead of onions?
I like lots of egg in mine.....I should actually call it Tuna/Egg salad......a little grated onion.....a healthy dose of Old Bay.....and Mayo......sprinkle a little Lemon Pepper on top before consuming.

I like to eat it on Saltines......matter of fact.....I'm fixing to do just that. No Tomato's today though. frown
Ya oughtta yard some potted meat into the mix!
Jud's wife would never forgive me.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ya oughtta yard some potted meat into the mix!

Not a bad idea. I'll add some to a sample and see how it goes.

The owner of the little diner near me suggested I add some to my sausage gravy. Pretty darn good.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I like to eat it on Saltines.(

Great idea on the saltines.
Gotta have some fresh garlic in it

Tuna - the good stuff

diced garlic
diced red onion
chopped green onions
chopped celery
diced hard boiled egg
homemade diced dill pickles
fresh cracked black pepper
MAYO
Solid white tuna in oil, Hellman's Real Mayo, pickle relish or diced sweet gherkins, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and a drop or two of liquid smoke. All ingredients are added to taste, I've never measured.
Just found a jar of bread & butter pickles. Might add some and nix the sweet pickle relish.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Tuna
Dukes mayo - a bunch
Egg - microwave to save time
Dill relish - gives it a kick
Onions
Cavenders Greek seasoning.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Tuna
Dukes mayo
Egg - microwave to save time
Dill relish - gives it a kick
Onions
Cavenders Greek seasoning.

BigDave, how do you microwave your eggs. Iā€™m still searching for the ā€œperfectā€ method šŸ˜¬
Coat microwave bowl with PAM. Crack em in bowl. Stir / whip with a fork. Cover with Saran Wrap. Microwave about 1- 1 1/2 mins. Or until not runny.

Theyā€™ll be hot! Dice up

More eggs will take longer. I usually do 2.

Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Coat microwave bowl with PAM. Crack em in bowl. Stir / whip with a fork. Cover with Saran Wrap. Microwave about 1- 1 1/2 mins. Or until not runny.

Theyā€™ll be hot! Dice up

More eggs will take longer. I usually do 2.

Thanks!
Can of tuna, 2 dips outta the mayo jar with a teaspoon stir and put on white bread.
All good variations and ingredients.

Couple others I like

Chopped up jalapeƱo pickled nacho rings.
Hot sauce.
Capers.
Frenchs french fried onions.
Chopped olives black or Spanish.
Chopped roasted red peppers.
Fresh grated romano/parmesan cheese.
I threatened to divorce my wife if she ever opened a can of that schit within 50' of me. I am not a fan. Best use for that crap is bait for feral cats and coons. LOL!! smile
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I threatened to divorce my wife if she ever opened a can of that schit within 50' of me. I am not a fan. Best use for that crap is bait for feral cats and coons. LOL!! smile

we canned albacore 1 time in the house, God damn, never again!!!!

I use my camp chef out on the patio now for all fish, meat etc.... Grin
I like lots of egg in mine.....

Off topic so I'll just say tuna in scrambled eggs is great.
Add some tomato to your recipes......Mmmmm

If I am making TS:
-tuna
-mayo
-boiled eggs (chopped)
-diced sweet pickles
-salt and pepper to taste
-tomatos , diced (optional)
Tuna, salad dressing, chopped up homemade sweet pickles, that's how my wife fixes it. I like a chopped up boiled egg in it, but since she doesn't eat eggs, it ain't gonna happen unless I fix some myself.
Originally Posted by bubbajay
Can of tuna, 2 dips outta the mayo jar with a teaspoon stir and put on white bread.

Done that many times usually @ 2AM hungover for a quick snack. WAAAYYYYYYY under rated. laugh

Thanks bubba.

Monday AM I'll head to town and pick up the ingredients suggested then go pick up my spare tire that I dropped off at the garage a week ago.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
but since she doesn't eat eggs,

I don't blame her, do you know where they come from? And from watching it happen the chicken sounds glad to be rid of it. wink
I think all our variations are covered. Diced pickles and olives are favorites of my kids, so those are usually in there.

We have started buying the canned yellowfin tuna in olive oil at Costco. It's fantastic. Been making fish cakes with it and searing in a hot pan. Makes good tuna salad too.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by JamesJr
but since she doesn't eat eggs,

I don't blame her, do you know where they come from? And from watching it happen the chicken sounds glad to be rid of it. wink

Haha. My wife will only eat an egg if it's in a cooked recipe, such as a cake or pie. She's also not a real big fan of chickens, only eating it certain ways. We fuss about it all time, as I like both eggs and chicken cooked just about any way.

Yeah, chickens are pretty nasty, and seeing where the egg comes from would probably turn a lot of people off.

Thats how we did it for years before we learned you could chop a pickle and put it in there too.
Mayo, squirt of yellow mustard, old Bay or blackened seasoning, chopped dill pickle, chopped green olives, chopped red pepper if I have any, chopped onion, squirt of lemon juice, sometimes a squirt of malt vinegar.
I like it on toast with a slice of tomato if it's garden time.
The only problem is where to get decent canned tuna? Obviously, this isn't the 50s and 60s anymore and Charlie must have been eaten long ago.

I remember back in the 50's and early 60's, Mother always used canned Bonita instead of tuna. It was cheaper and we preferred it. Sometime in the 60's I think, Bonita got more expensive than tuna, but we still used it. Then canned Bonita disappeared. miles

Thats how we did it for years before we learned you could chop a pickle and put it in there too.

I do that also but mostly use pickle relish for convenience.
I usually go with a bit of chopped dill pickle, finely diced red onion, small dab of yella mustard, and some mayo. S&P to taste.

Hard to beat a good tuna melt.

Or just add pickle relish............... how the wife has made it for 34 years fiercely resists changing it. I add a bit of sliced onion and sliced tomato to mine.
As with any canned tuna dish: Albacore or forget it.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Thanks for reminding me.....I haven't had one in so long I clean forgot about em.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Thanks for reminding me.....I haven't had one in so long I clean forgot about em.

Slow down ol buddy, I'll bring us more end of November when I head over to kill a couple bucks!! Grin
No worries....I've only used one jar.....so far. smile

BTW.....I have a dandy eight pointer hanging around out back.

Good deal, heā€™ll taste good here pretty quick like!!! šŸ¤£
Mayo
Sweet relish
Capers
Chopped hot/sweet pickled jalapenos
Celery salt!!
Coarse BP
Thinly sliced celery
© 24hourcampfire