Home
Posted By: wabigoon UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/21/19
Yesterday we cooked the last half of that turkey I bought, and cut in two. No pumpkin pie however! laugh
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/21/19
My long suffering wife will not tolerate a turkey more than twice a year.....and she loves turkey.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/21/19
It was 50 cents a pound Jim!
Posted By: auk1124 Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/21/19
I eat a ton of 99% fat free ground turkey every day - my main protein. My favorite preparation is with a lot of paprika, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.

Spicy turkey is great, and turkey and paprika are a really good combination.
Posted By: jpb Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/21/19
Originally Posted by auk1124
I eat a ton of 99% fat free ground turkey every day - my main protein. My favorite preparation is with a lot of paprika, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.

Trying to eat better, I've been eating more ground turkey lately.

However, I'm getting bored -- I'd sure appreciate any other recipe ideas you might have.

Thanks in advance,
John
Eat More Beef 🤠
Posted By: JamesJr Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/21/19
I love turkey, and my wife doesn't. So, it's pretty much Thanksgiving and that's it. Last Thursday, we ate at Cracker Barrel and they had turkey and dressing that day. I had some, and it was pretty darn good.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/22/19
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by auk1124

Trying to eat better, I've been eating more ground turkey lately.

However, I'm getting bored -- I'd sure appreciate any other recipe ideas you might have.

Thanks in advance,
John

I don't really have any recipes per se, I just jazz it up with spices, cook it in a nonstick skillet, and eat it with rice and veg. My wife makes me more of a traditional version than my spicy variant, by adding onion powder, sage, thyme, rosemary. It is a nice changeup for me.

I do know that whatever chili recipe you prefer will be very good with ground turkey instead of ground beef. Also tacos. I have eaten these two dishes with ground turkey for so long that I prefer the turkey versions to ground beef. Another good one to try is spaghetti with ground turkey meatballs in place of ground beef or pork. And believe it or not, but ground turkey sloppy joes are pretty good too.
Posted By: jpb Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/22/19
Thanks Auk1124, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Oddly I have overlooked spaghetti with meatballs -- I'm going to add this idea to the recipe rotation!

John
Posted By: auk1124 Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/22/19
You are welcome, John. For meatballs, a grind with more fat would probably work better than the 99%. I think we used 93%.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/22/19
If you're looking for turkey recipes Pinterest may be your huckleberry, I get lots of interesting recipes there it's worth a look.
Posted By: jpb Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/22/19
Originally Posted by gunswizard
If you're looking for turkey recipes Pinterest may be your huckleberry, I get lots of interesting recipes there it's worth a look.

Thanks, gunswizard.

I like the way that Pinterest shows a good picture and a good title for each recipe!

I will be able to find new ideas faster on Pinterest than by going to multiple recipe websites.

John
Posted By: Judman Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/22/19
I do turkey throughout the year, love a good turkey
Posted By: EdM Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/22/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My long suffering wife will not tolerate a turkey more than twice a year.....and she loves turkey.

She's twice as tolerant as I.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: UnThanksgiving Turkey. - 07/23/19
I don't mess with em anymore......to much meat for a bachelor and I'd just as soon eat Chicken.
© 24hourcampfire