Home
Posted By: Terryk Crab meat - 08/15/19
Lump was 35 a can, claw was 22 a 1 pound can. I think it just went up about 8 bucks a can.
Crab cakes and fresh corn on the cob with peaches for desert is a August favorite for me
Posted By: EdM Re: Crab meat - 08/17/19
Yep. My son made gumbo last night and we substituted bay scallops for crab for that very reason. Locally made andouille and shrimp finished it. It was very good.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Crab meat - 08/17/19
I always feel terrible buying canned crab meat.

Thought maybe it was distasteful to buy it that way.

I can see they are sure proud of it though!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Crab meat - 08/21/19
around here, crab meat is pretty much free. A couple of chicken necks, some line, and a little time will get all you need.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Crab meat - 08/21/19
Crabbing was shut down in much of the Puget sound this year. Havent even seen the wagon burners doing their usual raping and pillaging.

Prices 50%+ over last year for live dungee.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Crab meat - 08/21/19
Didn't check the price of crab meat, but I loaded up on lobster when I was back in Maine last week. I bought a bunch off of my buds that fish and paid the dock price of $4.50 a pound for soft shells. A lot of guys selling them for $5.99 a pound out of their shops.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Crab meat - 08/22/19
I like to brew up a big pot of vegetable beef soup, then for the second round dump in a pound of backfin (not lump!) and a bit of Old Bay.

Gonna check on the current catch tomorrow and likely pick up a half-bushel of steamed to take home. They were $85 a half a couple of weeks back. Might be a bit larger and heavier now. Really like to buy them in late September or early October if I'm over here on the Eastern Shore then.
© 24hourcampfire