Home
Posted By: FieldGrade Frittata - 09/16/19
I've heard the term kicked around for years but never bothered to find out what they are.

Don't laugh but for some reason I thought it was a Mexican dish that probably involved Tortillias. frown

Anyway someone mentioned them the other day so I looked em up today.

Far as I can tell it's pretty similar to a crustless Quiche......which is fine with me so I'm gonna try making one.

What do you guys put in yours?
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
Years ago there was a cooking show called “The Urban Peasant”. The host, James Barber, once did a show on frittatas.

Basically, he said a frittata is any leftovers you’ve got, heated up and then covered in beaten egg and cooked till finished.

So, to answer what I put in mine - whatever happens to be sitting in the fridge! And it works.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Years ago there was a cooking show called “The Urban Peasant”. The host, James Barber, once did a show on frittatas.

Basically, he said a frittata is any leftovers you’ve got, heated up and then covered in beaten egg and cooked till finished.

So, to answer what I put in mine - whatever happens to be sitting in the fridge! And it works.

A lot of the internet chef's say the same thing.

I like the looks of this one but I'll probably use green chili's instead of scallion.....might throw a little ham in too.

https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/potato-cheddar-frittata/
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
We've put about everything in them over the years; probably have one a couple of times a month. Bacon, ham, onion, potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, sometimes cauliflower instead of potatoes. Like was said, whatever you have on hand. Wife doesn't care for tomatoes but I like them sliced on top with lots of cheese and then I cover with a good salsa.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
Never eaten such a thing.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
I made some the other day for breakfast in a muffin pan

Eggs, spinach, bacon and cheese.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
I've even added beef chorizo.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

From what I gather it's too complex to be an Omelette but not sophisticated enough to be a Quiche.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

From what I gather it's too complex to be an Omelette but not sophisticated enough to be a Quiche.

I have eaten both of those things.

Might try a frittata some day. I personally like a breakfast skillet the best.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Frittata - 09/16/19

Sweated a bunch of spinach this morning for a frittata in my new to me CI pan. Add eggs , bacon, feta cheese. Simple or fancy. You be the boss
I make 'em a lot.
After they're sweated ain't much to look at. Tomorrow I'll just dump in some eggs and cheese and cook. Glorified scrambled eggs.

[Linked Image from i1266.photobucket.com]
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
Love to make them out of previous nights Chinese food dinners.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Frittata - 09/16/19
Talk about quiche, my grandmother was German Saxon, from Transylvania.

We used to love her thin pancakes, never realizing it was crepes. Fancy.

Same thing with quiche. We called it egg pizza. Wasn't till I was 25 that I realized I'd been eating quiche all those years.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Frittata - 09/17/19
Frittatas are Spanish. The traditional one uses thin slices of potato, par boiled, (not fried) in hot oil, then cooked with onion and cheese in beaten eggs. Frittata con queso de patata y cebolla. The trick is in flipping the frittata. I bought a nylon flipper from a Spanish web site. Looks like a big plastic dish with a knob on one side. Slide the half cooked frittata out of the pan and onto the flipper, then invert and drop if back into the pan to finish the other side. Flipping a 12 inch half cooked frittata with a quick snap of the wrist (without making a huge mess), is beyond my skill level. 😁
Posted By: sse Re: Frittata - 09/18/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Frittatas are Spanish. The traditional one uses thin slices of potato, par boiled, (not fried) in hot oil, then cooked with onion and cheese in beaten eggs. Frittata con queso de patata y cebolla. The trick is in flipping the frittata. I bought a nylon flipper from a Spanish web site. Looks like a big plastic dish with a knob on one side. Slide the half cooked frittata out of the pan and onto the flipper, then invert and drop if back into the pan to finish the other side. Flipping a 12 inch half cooked frittata with a quick snap of the wrist (without making a huge mess), is beyond my skill level. 😁

i made a smaller one, wasn't hard...i prefer la frittata italiana...
Posted By: micky Re: Frittata - 09/19/19
I have never planned a frittata. They are nomally made the evening before the wife and I go to the grocery store and it's an effective way to eat most of the random stuff left in the fridge.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Frittata - 09/19/19
Never had one....but I dont like the name.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Frittata - 09/19/19
Tasty stuff, Jim. Don't miss out. Frittatas are a regular thing here in the AM.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Frittata - 09/19/19
What else could we call em?
F'UCK I dunno

Egg pies ?

Made inna crust would be good.

Nah,.. too much work,

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sunday-frittata/
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Frittata - 09/19/19

Originally Posted by 284LUVR
F'UCK I dunno

Egg pies ?

+1 ^^^^^^^^^ Egg Pie it is.
Posted By: sse Re: Frittata - 09/20/19
well if yer gonna call em pie, then behnder would love em
Posted By: sse Re: Frittata - 09/20/19
Never had one....but I dont like the name.

i think they're too good for u
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Frittata - 09/20/19

F'UCK I dunno

Egg pies ?

That works.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Frittata - 09/20/19
Frittata fright is curable is curable. Sleep well tonight.
Posted By: sse Re: Frittata - 09/21/19

F'UCK I dunno

Egg pies ?

That works.

you'd probably like the spanish version, quite substantial, potato, onion, can add meat, cheese...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Frittata - 09/21/19
I watched Marco Pierre White make one on a video.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Frittata - 09/21/19
Finally got around to trying my hand at an egg pie this morning.

I made the potato and scallion version that I posted earlier but I didn't have any scallions so I used a shallot.

It's pretty good but a little bland. I might try some Mexican Chorizo next time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Frittata - 09/21/19
Thats a meal thats good anytime of the day.

Topped with chili or bowl of soup on the side would make a perfect dinner or lunch.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Frittata - 09/21/19
I like the Chili idea.

I put some Louisiana hot sauce on it this morning.......gonna try Salsa Verde tomorrow.
Posted By: sse Re: Frittata - 09/21/19
I watched Marco Pierre White make one on a video.

why didn't ya post the link ya slacker
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Frittata - 09/21/19
I like the Chili idea.

I put some Louisiana hot sauce on it this morning.......gonna try Salsa Verde tomorrow.

I see the red dots from your Louisiana sauce.

I have tomato bisque soup in the fridge im gonna eat with a salad for dinner if it wasnt so damn hot still I might have asked the daughter to make me an egg pie.
© 24hourcampfire