Home
Posted By: JamesJr Fish Question - 10/10/19
My son and his family are vacationing at Gulf Shores, and he called yesterday to tell me he'd gone fishing. Said they caught some redfish and some small sharks. The guy who's boat they were on cleaned them, and said they would be good eating, so he's bringing them back for my wife to cook.

Anyway, the only fish that we cook at our house are fried...catfish, crappie, bass, and bluegill. My question.....what's the best, and simplest, way to cook the fish he caught?
Posted By: 44mc Re: Fish Question - 10/10/19
fry them
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Fish Question - 10/10/19
The redfish are good baked in a creole sauce. Sautéed Diced Sweet onion, green pepper , celery then add diced tomatoes simmered for about 35 minutes to 45. Place redfish in baking dish and pour creole sauce over and bake. Serve Over or with white rice.
Cant help you with the shark.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fish Question - 10/10/19
The blackened fish sounds so of good.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Fish Question - 10/10/19
Legend states that Paul Prudhomme and his technique of "blackend" redfish nearly caused the species to be wiped out in the gulf.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Fish Question - 10/10/19
If they weren’t skinned, grill on the half shell...scales n skin down w butter and seasoning on flesh. If they are of some size it will require 20-25” as redfish is dense. Very good. If skinned just sauté in little oil and butter and seasoning about 5-6” per side, remove and tent w foil for about 10”. Excellent but cannot overtook or its just tough and tasteless.

Shark, season and oil and wrap tightly in foil. If it’s thicker than an inch about 30” first side and 15” on second side. Remove and allow to rest for about 5-8”. It’s real good w grilled veg or salad. We use Thai hot and sweet sauce. Also real good in tacos.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fish Question - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Legend states that Paul Prudhomme and his technique of "blackend" redfish nearly caused the species to be wiped out in the gulf.

Yup!
Posted By: Gus Re: Fish Question - 10/10/19
snakehead fish have been discovered in jawja.

any good recipes for them?

some say they're invasive.

voracious predators, right?

how to cook them?

for the feral cats?
Posted By: GregW Re: Fish Question - 10/11/19
I always grilled shark steaks under 3 deer in length. In the gulf, likely blacktop. Good eating. Bleed them.

Citrus is your friend. Good eats....
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Fish Question - 10/11/19
Shark nuggets breaded and into hot grease.

Redfish grilled with lemon or fried.

Both are mediocre at best. Fry extra hushppies.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Fish Question - 10/13/19
Redfish on the grill is great.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Fish Question - 10/15/19
Redfish are like river drum. Course flesh and a little strong. They need strong spices or a marinade that covers up the fishy taste. But can be good. Shark ?
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Fish Question - 10/15/19
Cut out the red meat on the reds.That's where the strong flavor comes from.I like to pan cook them with or without a 50/50 mix of corn flour and whole wheat flour with just a little olive oil,med heat.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Fish Question - 10/15/19
I like to sear in butter and olive oil. Season with SnP, garlic, and ginger. Cook till done and remove. Add chile garlic paste, a touch of sesame oil, and lime juice to pan, reduce, and pour sauce over the top.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Fish Question - 10/15/19
I fixed Redfish yesterday. Nuggets left over from a few I filleted. Rubbed the pieces in EVOO, shook on a little salt and pepper, topped with French Savory, and lightly baked them. They were wonderful.
I force the filets, and will blacken those. Next to Trippletail, Redfish is my favorite.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Fish Question - 10/15/19
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I fixed Redfish yesterday. Nuggets left over from a few I filleted. Rubbed the pieces in EVOO, shook on a little salt and pepper, topped with French Savory, and lightly baked them. They were wonderful.
I force the filets, and will blacken those. Next to Trippletail, Redfish is my favorite.

Tripletail is great
Posted By: rrconductor Re: Fish Question - 10/16/19
Trigger fish is my favorite, second would be speckled trout.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Fish Question - 10/17/19
Sorry, can't help here.

I don't know any way to cook fish ?

wink
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Fish Question - 10/17/19
Either deep-fried or deep-fried.
© 24hourcampfire