Home
Posted By: Steve Canned Carnita's are the bomb - 10/15/19
Been on a canning binge of late. Decided to try canning some carnitas for an easy shelf-stable meal. Decided to use the following as a base.

Canned Carnitas

In addition to the recipe I added 1/4 tsp each of granulated garlic, granulated onion, and chili powder.

Tried it a couple nights ago. Poured off the liquid into a sauce pan and reduced. Put the meat in a oiled saute pan and added the reduced liquid. Browned.

Put the whole mess over tortilla chips, with avocado, cheese, homemade smoked salsa, cheese and cilantro. Nachos carnitas.

Outstanding! Only thing I might do in the future is to cut the salt in half.
That sounds like a sure hit on Super Bowl Sunday.
I asked for a pressure canner for Christmas.

Looks like a good recipe.
I'll have to try that one, just made and canned a big batch of Verde salsa Sunday..
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I asked for a pressure canner for Christmas.

Looks like a good recipe.

I got a used All American off Craigslist. It's great.
Originally Posted by Steve
Been on a canning binge of late. Decided to try canning some carnitas for an easy shelf-stable meal. Decided to use the following as a base.

Canned Carnitas

In addition to the recipe I added 1/4 tsp each of granulated garlic, granulated onion, and chili powder.

Tried it a couple nights ago. Poured off the liquid into a sauce pan and reduced. Put the meat in a oiled saute pan and added the reduced liquid. Browned.

Put the whole mess over tortilla chips, with avocado, cheese, homemade smoked salsa, cheese and cilantro. Nachos carnitas.

Outstanding! Only thing I might do in the future is to cut the salt in half.

Browned after the liquid was added?
Yeah. That's the way I did it. Usually with carnitas I break up the meat, add the reduced sauce, and put it under the broiler. That way the meat is moist but crispy. This worked almost as well.
I love it when a plan comes together!
That looks killer!

I need a better pressure pot. My little one aint cutting it.

Gonna have to start perusing Craigs!
© 24hourcampfire