Home
Posted By: gunzo Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/15/19
Wife has a sirloin tip in the fridge thawing. It's 1 1/2 " + thick & it's got a lot of marble which has me thinking I might get by with grilling it.

If I were to see this much marble in a NY strip or RE I would think it was at least choice if not prime. Would this cut still be pretty tough? Wife wants to crock pot it & it just seems too nice for that.

I figure I could do my usual grill thing to rare & give it a try. If too tough I could always finish it like a pot roast or something. Suggestions?
Posted By: Terryk Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/15/19
I would marinate overnight with some acidy mix to help soften, grill, and finish is an oven with a fluid - maybe some marinade cut in wine of fruit juice.
I also get good results but grilling and then pressure cooker. That softens up the meat.
Posted By: mathman Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/15/19
That is not a grilling cut.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Thanks guys. Kinda figured it would need a lot of TLC to keep it from being tough.

Originally Posted by mathman

I even knew that, but the marble in this piece had me wishful thinking.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Couldn't hurt to try.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Couldn't hurt to try.

Nope. Worst case ya turn it into jerky or stew meat.
Give it a whirl and report back!
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
If you're talking grilling as in open flame, I would say no. My gut sats you would end up with a chewy, overdone doggy chew toy This is what I do all the time with chuck and shoulder roasts. I marinade them overnight in Wish Bone Italian salad dressing, wrap them tightly in foil with a packet of Lipton onion soup mix and cook them for around 3.5 - 4 hours at 325*. Fall apart tender and juicy as hell.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
If you're talking grilling as in open flame, I would say no. My gut says you would end up with a chewy, overdone doggy chew toy This is what I do all the time with chuck and shoulder roasts. I marinade them overnight in Wish Bone Italian salad dressing, wrap them tightly in foil with a packet of Lipton onion soup mix and cook them for around 3.5 - 4 hours at 325*. Fall apart tender and juicy as hell.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Sous Vide is the only way to go with lower end roast cuts of beef if you want them tender and med rare. I have been buying a lot of Sirloin Tip and Rump Roasts when they are on sale. I fry a mix of onions and mushrooms add all my seasonings to them. Coat the roast in that mix,seal up in a vacuum bag let sit over night. Six to ten hours sous vide at 130 to 135. Remove from the bag finish off on the grill just long enough to get a good char over a hot charcoal fire. Will be a perfect med rare to med depending on the temp you went with. I usually go 135. A touch more than I like but I can tolerate it others in the house will not eat anymore rare than that. I slice it nice and thin. But you can seriously cut half inch slices that you can cut with your fork it is so tender.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Grill a Roast? Maybe you could roast some steaks. To me a nice roast is perfectly wonderful roasted. The old fashioned way. Gives horsh radish a purpose.
Posted By: mathman Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by gunzo
Thanks guys. Kinda figured it would need a lot of TLC to keep it from being tough.

I even knew that, but the marble in this piece had me wishful thinking.

You knew it, but it seemed like you didn't really know it. grin
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
There are some tricks though. Like when I was poor and in school the grocery would have a sale on beef chuck steak. I'd look for what's called a seven bone steak. It's the tenderest of chuck steaks and if of quality beef is grillable. Not top quality beef and it can get chewey. But there's always MSG and a tenderizer hammer. smile
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
As long as it is not over cooked, it should be great.
"You knew it, but it seemed like you didn't REALLY KNOW it" Ya got me grin

Thanks again guys, but I just got a call from wife, telling me to put the thing in the crock pot with some onion & keep away from it with my damn experiments.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19

Once questioned one for hours while shining a desk lamp in its face, but never got a confession out of it.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Once questioned one for hours while shining a desk lamp in its face, but never got a confession out of it.

Should have tenderized it with a rubber hose or a phone book.
Algebra student: "But I knew that!"

Me: "Clearly not when you wrote that answer down."

grin
Posted By: EdM Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Using the "snake" method with briquettes would work fine.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Originally Posted by EdM
Using the "snake" method with briquettes would work fine.

Never heard of this. Had to Google it.
I'd still want some braising liquid.
I'd still want some braising liquid.

Dammit, I knew you were a stickler on numbers, but seems you're "that way" wink about other things too.

I called the grocery & they said they didn't have any, so I just used water. Would normally use beer but wife told me to stay away from it with my... concoctions, she calls them.
I didn't mean water or whatnot. I meant even with the snake method on the grill I'd want it in a pan with some type of liquid.
Posted By: Gus Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
never had good luck with beef roast on the grill.

maybe it's me. maybe it's the west texas beef?

i don't know. maybe i'm buying stuff that's too cheap.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
Jeebus....we aint talking the Hope Diamond here......
Posted By: Texczech Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/16/19
You aren't gonna know till you try it.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/17/19
Anyone seen one of the electric rotisseries that work on a grill lately? That used to be the way to cook a roast on a grill.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/17/19
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Sous Vide is the only way to go with lower end roast cuts of beef if you want them tender and med rare. I have been buying a lot of Sirloin Tip and Rump Roasts when they are on sale. I fry a mix of onions and mushrooms add all my seasonings to them. Coat the roast in that mix,seal up in a vacuum bag let sit over night. Six to ten hours sous vide at 130 to 135. Remove from the bag finish off on the grill just long enough to get a good char over a hot charcoal fire. Will be a perfect med rare to med depending on the temp you went with. I usually go 135. A touch more than I like but I can tolerate it others in the house will not eat anymore rare than that. I slice it nice and thin. But you can seriously cut half inch slices that you can cut with your fork it is so tender.

Yep - it is stunning what you can do with a Sous Vide to tough just of meat. My moose from last year is very substandard in tenderness compared to the one I shot 5 years ago. All of us in our group commented on all three of our moose and we think largely a bad butchering job and not enough time hanging is the cause. Cooking via Sous Vide works great to make it as tender as previous moose.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/17/19
I have done it before. Using a marinade of oil, corn starch and Montreal Steak Seasoning. The oil and corn starch will put a nice crust on it. Grill it hot leave it rare inside. Slice it thin with Johnny's Au-Jus.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/17/19
Yum-o!
If it sucks, cut it thin and make some cheese steaks.
Posted By: super T Re: Grilling a beef roast ? - 10/18/19
I agree that sous vide is very effective in tenderizing some cuts of beef. Try it, you might be surprised.
© 24hourcampfire