Home
Posted By: Miss_Lynn To share or not to share - 10/30/19
Your crispy fried chicken recipe ????

whistle
Involved but worth it....

INGREDIENTS
1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) whole chicken, with neck, liver, and gizzard removed, cut into 10 pieces (wings, legs, thighs, and quarter breasts)

BRINE
1 gallon water

3/4 cup kosher salt

1 tablespoon herbs or spices, such as poultry seasoning (optional)

DIP
1 quart buttermilk

2 tablespoons hot sauce

DREDGE
3 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tablespoons ground salt

1 1/2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Peanut oil for frying

2 tablespoons bacon grease

PREPARATION
To make the brine, in a stockpot, bring 4 cups of the water to a boil over high heat and whisk in the salt until dissolved and herbs, if using. Remove the pan from the heat, add the remaining water, and let cool to room temperature.
Place the chicken pieces in the stockpot or divide the chicken and brine between large zip-top bags and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
When you’re ready to fry, drain and rinse the chicken pieces thoroughly, then pat them dry with paper towels.
To dredge the chicken, set a wire rack over a baking sheet.
Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce in a shallow pan or bowl.
Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a second shallow pan or bowl.
Dip the chicken pieces into the buttermilk mixture, then into the seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Set the breaded chicken pieces on the rack, transfer the baking sheet to the refrigerator, and let the chicken rest for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour to set the crust.
To fry the chicken, fill a Dutch oven or a large, deep-sided cast-iron skillet with 1 inch of oil and the bacon grease, if using. Clip a frying thermometer to the side of the pot, place over medium-high heat, and bring the oil to 350˚F. (The temperature will drop considerably when the chicken is added; you’ll want to regulate the heat to maintain a temperature of about 325˚F as you fry the chicken.)
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and fry skin-side down in batches of no more than 4 pieces at a time for 8 minutes per side, until the meat registers 165˚F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove the chicken with tongs to a wire rack set over a paper towel–lined baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken is fried. Let the chicken cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: To share or not to share - 10/30/19
Sorry ML, never have done it !

Only ever eaten it out.

Might hafta change that.
We make an oven fried chicken.

Still trying to figure that one out....before I jump to deep fried!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: To share or not to share - 10/30/19
Like Brosted chicken. I like it to pieces, I've used a deep fat fryer, good enough for a simple boy. The pre cook treatment sounds good.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: To share or not to share - 10/30/19
Heres the one the wife uses when now making fried chicken, once or twice a year. crazy

Better than any homemade Ive ever had including "Grandma's" or "Mom's". In my opinion.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: To share or not to share - 10/30/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Heres the one the wife uses when now making fried chicken, once or twice a year. crazy

Better than any homemade Ive ever had including "Grandma's" or "Mom's". In my opinion.

You realize I am grinning like an idiot here. One because this recipe looks great, two because it is so clear and precise, three because you scanned it ALL and posted it for me ! Four because it CAME WITH PICTURES ! Five because I can already taste it ! Thank you from the whole crew here ! grin

I am thinking, mashed potatoes with flour gravy, and coleslaw on the side ! smile
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: To share or not to share - 10/30/19
Enjoy.

Goes great with tater salad in the summer as well. I prefer a side of collard greens or creamed spinach in the fall/winter.

Hope everyone gets good use out of it👍
Posted By: JamesJr Re: To share or not to share - 10/31/19
My wife is a great cook. But, she has never been able to make good crispy fried chicken. I had an aunt that made the best I've ever had. My grandmothers was pretty good as well.

So is the Colonels.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: To share or not to share - 10/31/19
FatCity67,

I made it last night.

Crispy, juicy, tasty, crispy, just damn right delicious, really. Did I say crispy ?

I had everything on hand here for the recipe, so last night we sat down to the best home fried chicken I have ever had. Everyone just went crazy for it.

We served it with mashed taters, flour gravy, and peas instead of coleslaw as someone had already used the cabbage.

Unfortunately, in the midst of taste testing and downright eating we did not take pics cry

Fortunately, we are making it again next week and will endeavour to take plenty of pics of the process and the edible results.

Again, thank you so much smile

Lynn and the Crew
Posted By: fink65 Re: To share or not to share - 10/31/19
Miss Lynn.....Which of the oils did you use?
Posted By: sse Re: To share or not to share - 10/31/19
there are some recipes out there that employ the double-fry method, that and brine/buttermilk/flour will do the trick if you want to go to all the trouble
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: To share or not to share - 10/31/19
Miss Lynn,

Happy you and yours enjoyed the recipe.

Those Americas Test Kitchen recipes for good ol' fashion American food are really hard to beat. Somewhat complicated and very detailed but thats why that are almost bullet proof.
My grandmother's was the best I've ever had. I have the cast iron pan she cooked it in, but I do not have any idea how she made it.

I think the 5 gallon bucket of lard next to the stove had something to do with unreachable status as a chicken fryer.

I will have to try this one.
It's just nice seein' Miss Lynn posting again......
Posted By: jpb Re: To share or not to share - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Originally Posted by FatCity67

You realize I am grinning like an idiot here. One because this recipe looks great, two because it is so clear and precise, three because you scanned it ALL and posted it for me ! Four because it CAME WITH PICTURES ! Five because I can already taste it ! Thank you from the whole crew here ! grin

Yep, FatCity is one of the Really Good Ones here for sure!

Great to see you posting again, Miss_Lynn!

John
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: To share or not to share - 11/01/19
Originally Posted by fink65
Miss Lynn.....Which of the oils did you use?

I used vegetable oil, my daughter has peanut/nut allergies.

It worked well. really crispy, and a deep shade of golden brown.

Delicious smile
© 24hourcampfire