Home
Youngest daughter in college in St. Peter Minnesota is teaching her roommates and friends how to make tamales for their Friendsgiving Feast tomorrow before she flys backhome. Several items she had to pickup in the twin cities as they weren't available out in the hinterlands.

Cooking the pork butt and soaking the Hojas (corn husks).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Corn husk?
I have some Masa Tamale......corn husks and all sorts of other things.

Apparently......tamales are had to make. I have not tried it yet.
Ones my wife made last year. See the corn husks?

Just a process Jim, Like rebuilding a carburetor. Some shorcuts make it easier. like being able to buy the masa already prepared if you have a Mexican market/deli nearby.
i don't want to take a run at making tamales, but i sure a heck need to go to restaraunt reknown for tamales. last trip to Cali, the kids dropped the ball on that one, see what happens the next trip
Love me some Tamales!!!
Nice. Growing up Italian it was always a ravioli factory around the holidays. Now, after three other moves to Texas, tamales have been on the list. Given our somewhat recent change in diet/life style I suspect we will never build any here...
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Love me some Tamales!!!

Hate to admit this but it is the truth.....gotta have that bright orange grease on them. Thick red meat filling, and about a 1/4" max of orange greasy corn masa.
We’ve been making tamales for I don’t know how long for Christmas Holidays. My brothers and I get together on a Sunday(next!)and do it assembly line style. Have a lot of fun and tell lots of lies too. All of our clan enjoys them and we give lots away for gifts.
I love tamales Fats! I usually get our from the lady at the corner that's out there every Friday. Best I've had....I'll let her make them...grin....
Orange grease tamale Beansie?

I ain't never ate one of them kind.
Tell her there is a decent mercado (maybe was, haven't been there in maybe 3 years) in St James. La Alborada on Lake St in Minneapolis is decent. Burrito Mercado in West St Paul is very good.
Well shes lived in St Peter for three years. It ain't that big a town.

Yum.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Well shes lived in St Peter for three years. It ain't that big a town.

No, it ain't. St James is a Little closer to St Peter than Minneapolis or St Paul. It wasn't as good a mercado as either of the two I mentioned in the cities, but it wasn't bad. La Alborada has some really good things not available elsewhere that I have found. Burrito Mercado has a really good selection. Chances are good she knows about it.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Orange grease tamale Beansie?

I ain't never ate one of them kind.

Must be a TX thing but I swear I know old ranchers that hate anything Mexican but I have brought them those and almost brought them to their knees.
© 24hourcampfire