Home
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Bacon grease - 12/08/19
How long can bacon grease be kept in the fridge ?

Lynn
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Bacon grease - 12/08/19
Forever
Posted By: chris_c Re: Bacon grease - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Forever

Smell it if in doubt, you will know
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bacon grease - 12/08/19
Long time.

Like a sourdough starter.....just keep adding to it.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Bacon grease - 12/08/19
Fry a skillet burger in saved bacon fat, yum.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Bacon grease - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
How long can bacon grease be kept in the fridge ?

Lynn

I am using some that is two years old. its still good.
Posted By: sse Re: Bacon grease - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Forever

and then another week, or two
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Bacon grease - 12/08/19
My bacon grease jar hasn't been emptied in over 15 years. Just keep adding to it.
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Bacon grease - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Fry EVERYTHING in bacon fat...
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Bacon grease - 12/09/19
Dang, is it supposed to be stored in a fridge? I got my dear departed Mom's bacon grease bowl, pretty faded white bowl with flowers and a lid. Ever since I was a kid it set on the counter waiting to go into a cast iron skillet. We never stored it in the fridge, maybe it never lasted long enough to go bad. Some times we just fry bacon up to get the grease, makes a great snack, dog likes it when we do.

I think my Dad ate bacon every day. Darn bacon finally got the best of my Dad when he was 84. But, it could of been loosing Mom that killed him....
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Bacon grease - 12/09/19

OMG ! I have never, ever, had a bacon fat fried burger and my Grandma saved bacon fat forever. Supper is gonna be a cheat, but a good cheat !

Lynn
Thanks guys, I know my Grandmother always had a pot of bacon grease and she just keep adding to it, but isn't today's bacon is cured with nuclear waste ?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Bacon grease - 12/09/19
And, you can make soap. laugh[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]
My Grandma used to take bread dough after it had it's second rise, and roll it out a bit till it was like 2 inches thick. She would then cut it into squares or triangles, sort of medium biscuit size, and fry them in about 2 inches of hot bacon fat. She would brown them on one side, and turn them over and brown on the other side. They just puffed right up, soft and tender on the inside, and crispy on the outside. Butter, jam, honey, anything you wanted was spread on or placed in them, and they were amazing

I miss her so very much, and everything she ever cooked.

Lynn
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bacon grease - 12/09/19
Thanks guys, I know my Grandmother always had a pot of bacon grease and she just keep adding to it, but isn't today's bacon is cured with nuclear waste ?

No. Its the same.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Bacon grease - 12/09/19
Yep, ours sits beside the stove too !
Posted By: mathman Re: Bacon grease - 12/09/19

OMG ! I have never, ever, had a bacon fat fried burger and my Grandma saved bacon fat forever. Supper is gonna be a cheat, but a good cheat !

Lynn

You know the easy recipe where you cut those little potatoes in half, toss them in some oil, dust them with whatever seasoning and bake till the cut faces are nicely browned? Use a little warmed bacon fat instead of the oil. I bet you'll like it.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Bacon grease - 12/09/19
Originally Posted by mathman

Lynn

You know the easy recipe where you cut those little potatoes in half, toss them in some oil, dust them with whatever seasoning and bake till the cut faces are nicely browned? Use a little warmed bacon fat instead of the oil. I bet you'll like it.

+1
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Bacon grease - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Long time.

Like a sourdough starter.....just keep adding to it.

That's what we do. The grease in the very bottom of ours could be 15 years old...LOL!!

Mike
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Bacon grease - 12/10/19
Do you refrigerate yours??

Big argument with my wife and I. I never have, but her family always has. Mine never went bad sitting in kitchen.

I use the jar my great grandparents used for storing it. Think of them every time I use it. Jar is over 100 years old
Posted By: sse Re: Bacon grease - 12/10/19
i keep it in the fridge
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Bacon grease - 12/10/19
Fridge in masonjars.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Bacon grease - 12/10/19
Cooked some bacon yesterday and there on the counter was a bag of unpopped popcorn. Hot grease right there so I had to try it. A different taste but not bad. Doesn't need butter!

Proves once again that bacon anything is good. smile
Posted By: sse Re: Bacon grease - 12/10/19
Originally Posted by sse
i keep it in the fridge

not tightly sealed
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Bacon grease - 12/11/19
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Cooked some bacon yesterday and there on the counter was a bag of unpopped popcorn. Hot grease right there so I had to try it. A different taste but not bad. Doesn't need butter!

Proves once again that bacon anything is good. smile

My Mom made my Dad popcorn popped in bacon grease for lunch every Saturday and Sunday my entire childhood. Never knew there was another way until I was a teen. True story.
Posted By: grdad45 Re: Bacon grease - 12/24/19
We use it to make the roux for sausage and shrimp gumbo. Everything tastes better with bacon grease!!!!
© 24hourcampfire