Home
Rib roast. I cut it half, we are planning an a ham as well. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Good lookin piece of meat...
I should have had the locker cut a roast instead of the rib steaks. I like the rib steaks to!
Looks like a good Christmas meal at your house.
Posted By: 35 Re: The meat course Christmas Day. - 12/14/19
Looks great !!
Having the same here.
A little salt and pepper and throw it in the oven.
Doesn`t get much easier than that !
One idea, more ways to fix it?
I'm going to roast a possum if I can catch one that's big enough......lol.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
One idea, more ways to fix it?

Salt n pepper, treager on smoke for a couple hours, crank er up, bring it to temp
I use reverse sear

Take out allow to come to room temp
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
apply salt , white pepper, powdered garlic, and powdered onion
Bake roast in the preheated oven until internal temperature reaches 115 degrees F (46 degrees C) for medium-rare, about 3 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil; allow to rest, about 20 minutes.
Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Uncover roast
Return roast to the oven and bake until well-browned, 6 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve

I make Au jus while the roast is cooking

Also some use Sous vide on a grill to brown up
Originally Posted by chris_c
I use reverse sear

Take out allow to come to room temp
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
apply salt , white pepper, powdered garlic, and powdered onion
Bake roast in the preheated oven until internal temperature reaches 115 degrees F (46 degrees C) for medium-rare, about 3 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil; allow to rest, about 20 minutes.
Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Uncover roast
Return roast to the oven and bake until well-browned, 6 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve

I make Au jus while the roast is cooking

Also some use Sous vide on a grill to brown up

That sounds good
Posted By: sse Re: The meat course Christmas Day. - 12/15/19
Ham. beef. turkey. or all three. that. is. all.
This recipe is from a hotel my son, the chef, worked at. It was big for weddings.

3 days before Christmas, take your roast and rub it down with beef boullion powder. Two small packets should do. Then smear Dijon mustard over that. Finally, sprinkle on and rub in Montreal Steak Spice until it’s completely coated. Then wrap it good in Saran Wrap and put it on a pan in the fridge for 3 days.

Take it out about 4 hours before you start your cook so that it warms up to room temperature. If you want to use a pan with a rack so the juice drips off for gravy, go ahead.

Preheat your oven to 400F. Put the roast in, uncovered for 1 hour. That 400F creates a great crust on the roast.

After 1 hour, back the heat off to 300F and cook the roast to desired internal temp. When it’s finished, take it out of the oven, cover with foil and let rest 15 minutes.

When you slice it, cut off the ribs and set them aside for yourself later (that’s the chef’s cut). Slice your beef across the grain.

Whenever my son did a big wedding he’d bring me home about 1/2 dozen of those ribs, with a nice chunk of beef attached. I called them Pterodactyl ribs. They were awesome!!!
I should have had the locker cut a roast instead of the rib steaks. I like the rib steaks to!

I’d rather do steaks with that.
We deep fried a whole rib roast at hunting camp in a turkey fryer a few years ago.

It was fantastic.
We make a crown roast with a center of dressing every other year. Rosemary-roasted red potatoes surround the base. We make sweet/sour red cabbage with caraway seeds to serve with it and have some bubbly to was it all down. Looks like work, but it's pretty easy to do. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Rib roast. I cut it half, we are planning an a ham as well. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THAT looks great!

Rates a Two-Cool

cool cool
Prime rib and Stuffed Rigatoni's with home made meat sauce will be served here
Xmas eve I'll be smoking 4 pork butts
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Prime rib and Stuffed Rigatoni's with home made meat sauce will be served here
Xmas eve I'll be smoking 4 pork butts

Where do you get rolling paper big enough? confused
Any other inspiring meat ideas?

I haven't planned ahead. Probably do a stuffed elk backstrap?
Wait.....maybe I'll do a beef wellington with the backstrap. Hmmmmm....
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

I did that once years back for some guests who had no idea it was elk. It was a disaster! I didn't have any leftovers. frown frown
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I did that once years back for some guests who had no idea it was elk. It was a disaster! I didn't have any leftovers. frown frown

Hahaha.
Posted By: 805 Re: The meat course Christmas Day. - 12/17/19
Any other inspiring meat ideas?

I haven't planned ahead. Probably do a stuffed elk backstrap?

Stuffed backstrap is awesome!! This summer I made a cream cheese/sautéed onions and jalapeños stuffed elk backstrap. Wrapped in bacon and smoked on the Traeger for about an hour. Cranked heat to crisp the bacon. It was literally gone in 3 minutes once cut up.
Warming up a honey baked spiral cut ham this year, and having our Daughter and Son-in law out.

Should be a fun time!

Virgil B.

Alaskan Crab legs, Shrimp, and Lobster cooked on the grill with a light bit of butter and hickory smoke.

smile
© 24hourcampfire