Home
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Wabis thread on pickled herring made me think of anchovies on pizza (never had either). Living in a small town I think we're lucky to have a pizza hut, although we don't eat pizza often I've always been curious about anchovies. Our pizza hut doesn't offer them as a topping. You guys like them?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
I can eat them, salty, oily taste. Years back, I was curious, The old Lavern, and Shirly show they talked about them.

I think most anchovies go for fish meal as a hog feed.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Super salty and fishy tasting. If I am going to eat an anchovy pizza I add pineapple. The sweetness helps cut the saltiness of the anchovies.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
I like to put them on after the pizza is cooked .Otherwise they disappear and all you taste is the salt
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Wabis thread on pickled herring made me think of anchovies on pizza (never had either). Living in a small town I think we're lucky to have a pizza hut, although we don't eat pizza often I've always been curious about anchovies. Our pizza hut doesn't offer them as a topping. You guys like them?

Before our Pizza Hut went under, they seemed to have somehow lost the recipe for pizza and no one noticed that there should be cheese included.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Ex liked them. I don’t mind them but never remember to add them.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Good to know. Next time wife makes pizzas I'm gonna try saddlesores method. Maybe add some when the pizza is getting close to done. So super salty? Probably go easy with them.?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
It greatly enhances the pizza if you set the anchovies outside while baking the pizza, then leave them there when it is served.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
I like anchovies on Pizza. Dont know anywhere that does it anymore.
I'm not sure where to buy the little fish.
Last nights pizza had none. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Nalivka's in Havre, MT will put on your anchovies for you.

Never had it on a pizza but i keep some around for making pizza and pasta sauce. Anchovy paste as well.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Square pizza is best.

You can fit two pans in the oven at the same time. Round pans, only one at a time.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Walmart or most any grocery store has anchovies. To cut down on the oil and salt I rinse them in cold running water before adding them to the pizza. I used to get them at Pizza Hut, asked for them on the side as no one else in the family liked them.
A shortage of anchovies ran the bean market way up in 73, or so. The catch off the coast of Peru just dried up for a few months.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Nalivka's in Havre, MT will put on your anchovies for you.

Never had it on a pizza but i keep some around for making pizza and pasta sauce. Anchovy paste as well.

I'm intrigued. Have to talk to the wife about this...
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19

Anchovies and onions, well done is a favorite.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Nobody, I mean nobody around here eats them

I always go my pizza "with everything".

Driving truck, got an everything pizza in LA.
It had these nasty, hairy, salty, fishy, things on it.
The taste ran through the pizza, taking them off did nothing.

Happened in Upstate New York, different pieces, same nasty taste.

Did it once more, finally learned.

Now I order "Everything, no fish".
Places in this area look at you funny,
some say, "We don't even have anchovies", others are completely
lost.

Anchovies?

HELL NO!
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/29/19
Eugene's in Glasgow has them also. Voted best pizza in the state several times.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/30/19
No anchovies for rme. YMMV
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/30/19
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Eugene's in Glasgow has them also. Voted best pizza in the state several times.

Dang. Forgot about Eugene's.

Wonder if Stretches has them?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/30/19
I like them, but I like all things "fish". Something I realized while reading the pickled herring thread.

It does help the saltiness if you rinse them well beforehand. They come in what looks like a miniature sardine can - which is exactly what it is, of course.

Other dishes that require anchovies include Caesar Salad. Worchestershire sauce is made with anchovies, although it is filtered to remove the solid bits. A dab of anchovy paste in soups and stews adds that "umami" richness you can't quite put your finger on, but absolutely know when it's missing. Anchovy is the Mediterranean/European version of Asian fish sauce and has been a staple of cooking at least since Roman times.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/30/19
Anchovies are better in a good antipasto.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/30/19

I couldn’t eat an anchovy that’s been ‘rinsed’, it defeats the purpose.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/30/19
You must use a lot of salt otherwise, Jack. Those of us who use very little extra salt on things find 'chovies to be almost inedibly salty as they come from the can.

I suspect you'd love Marmite or Vegemite.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 12/31/19
I like them, wife will not eat the pizza if I get them on my half!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/04/20

Posted pics in the Image Gallery of two of my favorite dishes made with anchovies, a tray of pizza with anchovies and onions and a bowl of aglio olio con acciughe (garlic, anchovies and some red pepper seeds sautéed in olive oil over spaghetti topped with ground black pepper and grated Locatelli Percorino Romano). Italian dishes with anchovies were always a favorite in my house when I was growing up.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/04/20
That sounds out of this world.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/04/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Posted pics in the Image Gallery of two of my favorite dishes made with anchovies, a tray of pizza with anchovies and onions and a bowl of aglio olio con acciughe (garlic, anchovies and some red pepper seeds sautéed in olive oil over spaghetti topped with ground black pepper and grated Locatelli Percorino Romano). Italian dishes with anchovies were always a favorite in my house when I was growing up.

My father use to make a similar thing, Boniet (pronounced bunyet),but included parsley flakes (no cheese or tomatoe though) then left to age in the refrigerator for a week. Also included some red pepper seeds

https://innerevolutioncenter.wordpress.com/recipes/boniet-pronounced-bun-yet/
Posted By: longarm Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/04/20
Love 'em.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/05/20
I started eating them on pizza as a defense mechanism when I was a young G.I. When you have a pizza delivered to the barracks, it draws the moochers like ants to a picnic. When the freeloaders arrived and ask "hey men, can I have a slice?", I would reply "sure, but it has anchovies on it".......they would usually turn up their noses and leave, which was the desired result. They grew on me, and I really enjoy them.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/05/20
not if i have a choice. i won't eat anything that smell like that.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/05/20
Originally Posted by rem141r
not if i have a choice. i won't eat anything that smell like that.

What? You want it to smell like a Mountain Spring?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/05/20

Another favorite would be the two bowls of fried dough balls that would always grace the table during the Holidays, the fried dough balls in one bowl covered with granulated sugar and in the other bowl fried dough balls with a piece of anchovy buried deep inside. A classic sweet and salty marriage.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/06/20

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's my answer;

I'd smash both of these !

grin
Posted By: 300Savage Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/09/20
I like them on my pizza and also on my salad. Their is an old Italian restaurant in Grand Haven Michigan that has a fantastic thin crust pizza that can me ordered with anchovies and onions. It is good!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/10/20
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's my answer;

I'd smash both of these !

grin

LOL! Of course you would!
Posted By: deflave Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I can eat them, salty, oily taste. Years back, I was curious,

Bro.

Not cool.
Posted By: deflave Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/11/20

Here's a crazy fugkin' idea....

Buy some anchovies.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Anchovies on pizza. - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by deflave

Here's a crazy fugkin' idea....

Buy some anchovies.

Holy crap! He's alive!

I hope your holidays went well flave.
© 24hourcampfire