Home
Posted By: wabigoon $hrimp? - 01/15/20
I like em, how do you good folks like to do them? And what do you buy raw, cooked?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
I buy frozen raw 12 count gulf shrimp. Old bay style but I'm learning new dishes.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
I buy about a hundred pounds of Texas Gulf Brown Shrimp every year.I really like the med size and the boat I buy them from sells them for $3.00 a pound if I buy 20lbs or more.They are the tastiest shrimp you've ever ate and require hardly any seasoning because they are naturally so good.I make a variety of dishes with them from gumbos,shrimp with asparagus and pasta,shrimp and fish with brown rice,tomatoes and cheese,fried shrimp,shrimp cocktails and so on..
Posted By: auk1124 Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
One of my favorite proteins! Never had a shrimp dish I didn't like. My default order at a Mexican restaurant is either shrimp tacos, Camarones ala Diabla, or Camarones al Chipotle.

If you find yourself in Daytona, go to Aunt Catfish in Port Orange and order the shrimp and grits. Slap your mama good.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20

Have been buying frozen 5 lb. blocks of 15-20 BeeGee shrimp as needed for years. Has not been available in the states for several months and I understand it is now all being sold in Europe.
Has anyone ever had Campeche shrimp? Understand it is wild shrimp caught off the coast of Mexico and it’s probably what I’ll be trying.

As far as cooking, placed in boiling water for about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes, drained and kept away from water and ice, served either hot with butter or chilled with my own mix of Heinz Ketchup and Old Country Packers horseradish.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
I only like pink gulf shrimp. Fresh or frozen. The other shrimp I have bought from the grocery tasts bad to me. I live on the gulf and sometimes pink gulf shrimp is hard for me to find. I bought some shrimp off the boat up in South Carolinia a few years ago and it was pretty good. I think that crap they have in the stores is farm raised in Asia.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
Most of the shrimp in the grocery store is farm raised in India. frown
Posted By: milespatton Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
A couple of years ago, Oldman3 and myself were somewhere East of Houston, along I-10, and stopped to eat. Had the best shrimp that I ever had. And I like shrimp most places. Speaking of things like that, Oldman3 can cook some damn good Crawfish. miles
Posted By: JamesJr Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
I get my shrimp at Captain D's...........and if I want to really splurge, I go to Red Lobster.
Posted By: Sig220 Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
I have a "shrimp" lady come by the house every couple of months with fresh shrimp off the boat. I usually get the jumbo's and grill or boil them. Have a few cooked in the fridge now. Great on salads, in gumbo, peel and eat, tacos and po-boys. My wife has a allergy to the iodine in shrimp, but it just leaves more for me!
This one is really good.I is made with real butter,garlic,shallots,asparagus,artichokes,lemon juice and lemon zest,shrimp,linguini, and cheese.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Shrimp and okra.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I buy about a hundred pounds of Texas Gulf Brown Shrimp every year.I really like the med size and the boat I buy them from sells them for $3.00 a pound if I buy 20lbs or more.They are the tastiest shrimp you've ever ate and require hardly any seasoning because they are naturally so good.I make a variety of dishes with them from gumbos,shrimp with asparagus and pasta,shrimp and fish with brown rice,tomatoes and cheese,fried shrimp,shrimp cocktails and so on..

You could be a spokesman for the Bubba-Gump Shrimp Company!

I would love to try Gulf brown shramps someday!
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
Living on the gulf coast, we eat shrimp pretty regularly. In fact, we are only about 10 miles from Bayou La Batre which is known for two things: shrimp boats and shipbuilding.

I would rattle off the various dishes we prepare throughout the year but it would sound like a retelling of Bubba's historic scene in Forrest Gump.

A couple of our favorites are simply sauteed with butter and garlic as well as the stand by seafood boil. We don't eat much fried food these days but fried shrimp are always a favorite when we decide to treat ourselves.

My wife's favorites are royal reds which have a higher fat content than white or brown gulf shrimp. Royal reds really do have a much sweeter and succulent flavor than any other shrimp I have eaten. These are only available frozen though. Since they are caught so far offshore, they freeze them on the boat to prevent spoiling. If you ever get a chance to try them, I would highly recommend them.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
One of our only regrets, moving from the east coast of Australia, to the middle of Canada, is missing the "prawns" straight off the trawlers !!

Ocean King, Tiger & Banana Prawns !
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20

Posted By: auk1124 Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
That shrimp and linguine dish looks outrageously good.
Posted By: sse Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by baldhunter

insane amount of shrimp
Another dish I like is on a bed of brown Basmatti,put fish pan fried in a little olive oil on top the rice.In a separate pot,have a can of diced fire roasted tomatoes simmered about 30min ahead of time.Saute the shrimp in butter and chopped garlic and chopped shallot.Once done add this to the tomatoes and spoon on top the fish and rice.Top it off with a white Mexican cheese.
When I fry my shrimp,I like to whip a raw egg,add the seasoned shrimp to that and mix the shrimp and egg.For my fry batter,I mix half whole wheat flour and half corn flour.The egg helps to keep a light coat of the batter on the shrimp and they are really tasty cooked this way.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20

Usually by locally caught spot prawns that are flash frozen on the boats.
Posted By: BD_Huntress Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
All these shrimp dishes are making me hungry!
Posted By: TheKid Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
After fresh spots out of pots you’ve pulled on Prince William Sound it’s pretty tough to go back to whatever these “regular” shrimps we get down here are.

I used to take half a dozen spots and skewer them then onto a blazing hot grill for no more than 30-45 seconds a side. Brush with garlic butter and get ready to be spoiled.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: $hrimp? - 01/15/20
Somebody remind me to order my shrimp when I go to town tomorrow. grin Usually takes a week or so till arrival.
Posted By: 44mc Re: $hrimp? - 01/16/20
i am spoiled. my ex brother in law runs a shrimping boat out of se ga . when i need some 9 to 12 count shrimps i give him a call swap some deer & gator meat . every body is happy & fat & sassy
Posted By: kellory Re: $hrimp? - 01/16/20
I love shrimp just about any way it's cooked. Any time it's on sale I pick up some frozen cooked shrimp. But we did get a bag of frozen cooked shrimp we just didn't like the flavor of.
I do not recall the name, but it was more colorful than most of the shrimp we get. We thought it might be a handling issue, and dumped the rest of the bag.
Any time red lobster runs thier "all you can eat shrimp", or crab legs, we will be there a few times.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: $hrimp? - 01/16/20
We get down to the coast 4-5 times a year. Usually able to buy shrimp right off the boat. We typically buy 20-40 lbs per trip, nearly always large to jumbo. Always head on as they are fresh fresh. Deheading and boiling them releases all shrimp fat w enormous flavor. Makes awesome stock to use at once or freeze.
My experience is the only way to cook shrimp poorly is to overcook it.
© 24hourcampfire