Home
Posted By: auk1124 Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/20/20
The holidays are over, but these simple cookies are really good and worth the calories on a snowy day. Crisp edges but crackly tops and chewy, soft centers. Easy to make, old fashioned, and delicious with a glass of milk.

1 and 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
Half cup of table sugar
Half cup, firmly packed, of brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 teaspoon of table salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
2 cups of all purpose flour
Sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 350. Cream together the softened butter and sugars in a mixing bowl. I use a fork and it works fine, but you can use a mixer to do this. To the creamed butter and sugar mixture, add the egg, baking soda, molasses, salt, and spices. Slowly add the flour, mixing well, until a soft dough forms.

Your dough will be loose, but you can firm it up by chilling it in the fridge for half an hour or so if you want. Form dough into balls, roll in sugar, and bake on a cookie sheet with parchment paper for 11-13 minutes. Cookies will flatten as they bake, no need to mash them down.

These are really, really tasty, if you like traditional cookie flavors. The texture is great too.

Edited to add, the butter should be unsalted.

Posted By: Tyrone Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/20/20
Sounds awesome! I love those things!
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/20/20
They are ridiculously simple to make, so long as your butter is room temp. Don't even need a mixer, just a bowl and a fork and a piece of parchment paper or silpat for the cookie sheet. And they have a fantastic texture, crisp on the outside but chewy in the middle.

If you like that old fashioned flavor combination of cinnamon, ginger and cloves, these are for you.
Posted By: gunscrew Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/20/20
thanks ginger snaps are my favorite, I'm munching on store bought as we speak. look forward to trying your recipie.
Posted By: ScottBrad Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/20/20
Thanks. Love me some ginger snaps
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/25/20
Looks pretty good. Ginger snaps are always a favorite!
Posted By: scratcherky Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/26/20
They really are very good!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/26/20
Looks good.
I'd add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne and they'd be perfect.
Posted By: gunscrew Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/28/20
wife just made a batch they are fantastic! thanks
Posted By: chris_c Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/30/20
https://imgur.com/VCpgVn3[/img]

Made a batch, extra large so I don't feel guilty when I have "one". I did add vanilla extract, had some sitting around brewing and wanted to try it. Thanks for sharing great recipe, even the wife who does not like ginger snaps is liking these.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 01/31/20
You guys are welcome, glad you liked them. These have become my favorite homemade cookie to make.
Posted By: fremont Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 02/01/20
Plan on taking them to a Super Bowl party tomorrow and also going to try & glaze. Will report back
Posted By: fremont Re: Kick Ass Ginger Snaps. - 02/03/20

Originally Posted by fremont
Plan on taking them to a Super Bowl party tomorrow and also going to try & glaze. Will report back

Home run at SB party. Folks loved them and got compliments on glaze. Just as advertised: Great flavor, crispiness on outside; good chew.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire