Home
I've been making several batches of chili out of my venison shoulders. most of the recipes all have the same step season meat, brown in pan, deglaze add to pot and slow cook. The chili has great flavor however the meat I'm finding is very bland. Should I be marinating it or something for added flavor?
More fat and let sit overnight.
I make chili out of stewing beef, seasoning is salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, liberally applied while I brown the meat.

Then I add onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, with more salt, pepper,chili powder, cumin,.

Cook for 5 or 6 hours low heat , taste frequently add additional seasoning and water to taste .

F
I think that's what I did wrong I should brown the meat with some of my chili mix
And add more fat
I make up a larger quantity of seasoning. Enough to divide into typically 4 “doses.” As I brown out meat add first “dump” of spice mix and allow it to bloom. Must have fat to get the right sear. After browning near complete and all onion, garlic, etc. I use beef. Better Than Bullion paste is what I make my stock with...careful it’s salty. Add a second dump of spice. Lower heat and simmer for about an hour. Add additional dump of spice as it cooks down. Monitor liquid closely. Now get serious and cook for couple more hours on mid low. Near end I add some additional minced onions and another dump of spices. I turn it off and let it sit and tighten up.
Originally Posted by Irving_D
And add more fat

Pork fat or lard. What we use. If there's a Mexican market nearby stop in and look for a rub in the spices section called El Venado red fajita seasoning. It has a big buck on the label.
" ... Should I be marinating it or something for added flavor?"

Add a pound of cooked pinto beans and that'll wake it up right smart. wink

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
" ... Should I be marinating it or something for added flavor?"

Add a pound of cooked pinto beans and that'll wake it up right smart. wink

L.W.

Ouch!
Salt it well at least a few hours before you cook it.
Fry up some bacon in your pan before browning the meat.

Leave it in the chili for extra fat and flavor.

I like to use Treager prime rib rub before browning.

Virgil B.
Rub it with a mixture of chopped garlic and salt. Then make your own chili powder by putting several trays of ancho or new mexico dried chilies in oven and wait until they get puffed and fragrant. Take em out, de-stem and seed them and grind into powder. Spread a bunch of that on that chuck roast too.

Then, get your grill fired up and put a bunch of smoking wood on it. Sear that chuck roast on all sides while the smoke is rolling. You aren't trying to cook it. Then chunk it up and add to your chili.

It'll be the best chili you've ever eaten.
Timber,
I make a similar Smokey chili, but put my CI pot into my offset smoker wo lid for the final hour to pu some good smoke. It’s crazy good that way.
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Timber,
I make a similar Smokey chili, but put my CI pot into my offset smoker wo lid for the final hour to pu some good smoke. It’s crazy good that way.

Yes sir.
Thanks for the input time to make another batch
© 24hourcampfire