Home
Posted By: wabigoon No Shepherd's Pie seasoning? - 03/30/20
So what should I use?
Salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley would be my go to.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: No Shepherd's Pie seasoning? - 03/31/20
Hard to go wrong with good old salt and pepper. Easy to go wrong with a lot of other stuff in the cupboard.
The only place I find a package mix is in Dryden.
It's stew in a pie crust, so.... smile
Originally Posted by 264mag
It's stew in a pie crust, so.... smile

Not the way that I learned to make it.
I'll tell you what wabi, you seem really spice deprived. Send me your snail mail and after this madness stops I'll send you some of my "go to's".

Mike
You're right, 5s. True Shepard's pie is lamb, veggies, s&p, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and a tomato based gravy, covered with smashed spuds. I was thinking more along the lines of a beef pot pie. I grew up on a ranch, but we never had access to lamb, so were got beef. My mom made some variation of both, mixing and matching probably according to her whim at the time. She called them all Shepard's pie, we called it supper. They were all good. 🙂
It's near done now of brown gravy mix, I was lazy. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Do t ruin your food w package mixes.

Use your googler.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's near done now of brown gravy mix, I was lazy. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That is the Iowa version.
I suppose versions of it vary from place to place. I made a big dish of it on Sunday and will eat it for lunch all week,in fact just finished my lunch a few minutes ago. I do mashed potatoes on bottom, cover in ground meat, cover that with mixed veggies and then the whole thing covered in cheese. I season the meat while cooking with seasoning salt, garlic and onion powder, paprika and chilli powder.

You forgot the veggies!
A salad not pictured, and some corn, and green beans in the pie.
S&P a little Dijon mustard a whisk of turmeric or curry and if your from Texas some cumin, very small amounts. Smoked paprika & maybe parmigiana on top. I like a little nutmeg too. In Ireland anything more than salt & pepper is considered over spicing.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: No Shepherd's Pie seasoning? - 04/01/20
Originally Posted by Tejano
S&P a little Dijon mustard a whisk of turmeric or curry and if your from Texas some cumin, very small amounts. Smoked paprika & maybe parmigiana on top. I like a little nutmeg too. In Ireland anything more than salt & pepper is considered over spicing.

Never had any idea that I was Irish.
Posted By: EdM Re: No Shepherd's Pie seasoning? - 04/01/20
For you.

https://www.englishteastore.com/col...PikMQK7zC9LV-zMn_k5GxfwdgFBoC87gQAvD_BwE

For your dog.

https://www.chewy.com/blue-buffalo-...oZFbtI2OgYtZXzt8pqZvAQgMfWRoCAsQQAvD_BwE
Posted By: sse Re: No Shepherd's Pie seasoning? - 04/01/20
So what should I use?

follow the recipe...?
© 24hourcampfire