Home
Seems like a time for comfort food. For me so far: Venison, local grass fed steaks, five kinds of mushrooms, two kinds of local goat cheese, greens and canned tomatoes from the garden, home made sour kraut, piccalilli, pickled beets, Okra, pickled limes, and home made sour dill and bread & butter pickles.

I am good for a couple of weeks with maybe only one run to the grocery store.
Happy for you!

Ought to be how it is all the time.
Originally Posted by Tejano
Seems like a time for comfort food. For me so far: Venison, local grass fed steaks, five kinds of mushrooms, two kinds of local goat cheese, greens and canned tomatoes from the garden, home made sour kraut, piccalilli, pickled beets, Okra, pickled limes, and home made sour dill and bread & butter pickles.

What are pickled limes? How do you do that?
The limes are an Indian version. Packed in sea salt, curry, lots of chili. They are fermented here is one recipe for some hot ones. https://www.simonmajumdar.com/fiery-hot-lime-pickle This is good with mangos too.

Also do a similar version with lemons for Moroccan and Mediterranean food. Either plain or with Harrissa and grape leaves. These are good in Tagene or put inside grilled/roasted chicken.
No change here.
Two youngest daughters are back home now.

Ive had to put the breaks on the feedbag and chow wagon for myself.

Told them obesity and diabetes will kill me before the corona ever gets a chance if they keep cooking as for the feasts of Bacchus
Normal here too.

Except I'm "bored" snacking in the afternoons, at work !
Pretty much the same here--except my wife is working on another game cookbook, on soups and stews. So have been eating a lot of "experiments"! She's been doing this long enough that even the early versions are good.

Today's was a wild pork/rice stew with a few other veggies added. Very good--but per usual she'll tweak it tomorrow....
Unfortunately, don't have much work, so yeah, spending more time preparing food and other luxuries.
Got a nephew camping out here due to the current unpleasantries...

Since he's got time on his hands I "suggested" he might as well start getting in shape for the high hunts.

So with spare pack and spare weight he joins me now at 0 dark thirty for the daily morning stroll...

Downside - the kid eats like a horse!
His food should be cheap then, eating just hay and oats,.
Eating hasn't changed much, 'cept not quite as much fast food.

Been drinking two Bloody Marys every morning, to keep up on my vitamin C

Virgil B.
Nothing different here. Still having to please the Dowager Empress
Easy to get indulgent. I am limiting myself to only one steak per week or every other. Want to make lots of things but not much fun just for myself although I share with neighbors. I want to make a Harrissa sauce with rose petals and then a Tagene. Chicken or hopefully wild turkey Marsala is on the short list to use up some of the mushrooms. Better make at least one more batch of venison chili before it gets hot around here. One thing between the freezer, garden, and home canning I can go about a week or two with out going to the grocery store. Curbside orders are taking two weeks here in Tejas.
I’m becoming a fat ass.
We eat pretty good all the time. Always been a priority.

the bathroom scale...never not hoarded

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pretty much the same here--except my wife is working on another game cookbook, on soups and stews. So have been eating a lot of "experiments"! She's been doing this long enough that even the early versions are good.

Today's was a wild pork/rice stew with a few other veggies added. Very good--but per usual she'll tweak it tomorrow....

JB
I hope we never hear a complaint from you. In my house I do all of the hunting and cooking. You are very lucky to be part of the test kitchen. Stay safe!
Originally Posted by kingston
I’m becoming a fat ass.

Yup same here. I'm used to snacking on sardines, one bread sandwiches and nuts. Wife is home now so cooking everyday.
i remember growing up a family moved in nearby, the dad was in insurance. Couldn't believe how much fishing and hunting the guy did, ran coon dogs, too.

Anyway, his wife would dress and cook any fish, fowl, game or varmint he brought home. was quite amazed with it
We are eating less. We usually eat well but cutting out the weekend nights out and whatnot have cut out the extra.
Better, no, the same- more YES!
Originally Posted by AKduck
We are eating less. We usually eat well but cutting out the weekend nights out and whatnot have cut out the extra.

This. We eat very well at home during regular times and eating out is where we cheat a bit. We are fairly social and usually meet friends for dinner or a few drinks 1-2 times a week. Having made almost all our meals the last 3 or 4 weeks has us eating pretty healthy.
About the same here. We are eating out obviously less often too. I have tried some new things like poke and some different meatloafs. One was an experiment with leftover lasagna that was made without noodles and subbed spinach. Grilled some onions and mixed it all together, covered with American/Swiss cheese slices.
Originally Posted by Tejano

Right now has been a good time to reach deep into the darkest recesses of our pantry and use up everything. A fresh start.
© 24hourcampfire