Home
Posted By: wabigoon Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20
In the kitchen, fixing food? I just did. Blood drips all over to I got a bandage on.

I should be just fine.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20

Who hasn’t?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20
Lots of times but most severely when blindly working up big game. The old saying about dull knives if bunch of crap. Sharp knives seriously cut and clean cuts bleed for a long time.

One of several hobbies is flint knapping and I use mostly obsidian generating edges that taper to a molecular level. A small 1/4 knick with bleed for half an hours because the effected surfaces are so smooth that blood can not clot. The saving grace though is those cuts will heal in about 24 hours.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20

I wear a no-cut glove under a nitrile glove on my free hand when field dressing a whitetail, it works.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20
I very much appreciated my chain mail glove when I worked in the packing plant. I use one of the Kevlar-type gloves when cleaning fish. One needs to stay aware that they don't stop the point of the knife.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20
Very rarely.....and never on game.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20
Trimming brisket after a trip to the local watering hole on my birthday a few years back.
[Linked Image from thumbs2.imagebam.com]
Posted By: super T Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/21/20
Yes, several times over the years. Superglue sure helps.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/22/20
Cut the hell out of my thumb quartering a deer last year. Yeah, I cut myself cooking 4-5 times a year but this was a bad cut. Wrapped it in telfa, surgical tape and put on a latex glove and still have a nice scar to show.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/22/20
I buried a knife tip 3/4" into the meaty part of my palm below my pinky. I don't know how I didn't cut a tendon. I was halving some pears to bake and one slipped on the smooth cutting board. As I tried to save it, I impaled my hand on the knife. 10 minutes before company arrived. I taped it up for the night but then got too busy and never went to get it sewed up. I religiously washed it with betadine and peroxide for a couple weeks until it finally healed. I still can't believe it never got infected.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/22/20
I'm surprised your wife lets you use sharp knives.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/23/20
Last year I was field dressing a deer my brother shot on my land (he was having a tough time at altitude due to chemotherapy) using a very sharp Gene Ingram knife. Never really thought much about how different knives cut until I caught the fob/lanyard/whatever that leather strap is called on a bone as I was standing up. The knife stayed put as my hand ran along the blade. Holy fug, I bled more than the deer did. It didn't leave much of a scar but to this day it still has a throbbing pain at times.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/26/20
I loaned a knife to a buddy for field dressing a deer since his was in his pack. I handed it to him and said to watch out that it was scary sharp. Took all of 3 minutes for him to almost cut his damned thumb off. Said he’d never used a knife that sharp and wasn’t expecting it to “come through the skin so fast”. Made a sweet scar, though.
Posted By: RaySendero Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Who hasn’t?

Yep! Took 1/2 a life for me to figure out that:

When I'm putting too much force on a knife with my right hand,
To stop and get left hand safety out of the way.

Got the scares on left hand to prove it.

Posted By: sse Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/26/20
while back, i sharpened a meat cutting knife, set it on the counter, later went to put it away, bobbled it and somehow stabbed my leg near the pocket pretty good. nice deep, surgical, clean wound, bleeding like a stuck pig. somehow managed to stop the bleeding and went to emergency for stitches, only took 3, but there is no way I could have got it to close
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/26/20
[Linked Image from 78.media.tumblr.com]
Posted By: Morewood Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/26/20
All I have to do is merely look at sheet metal and I start bleeding.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/27/20
Chopping onions one time, nearly took the tip of my left thumb off.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/31/20
Ground my thumb off to the bone in my wood planner,nail gunned the joint on my index finger. Fun pulling that out with pliers. Shot a 2” nail thru the palm of my hand, ran a jigsaw blade half way thru the top of my hand, jabbed a Phillips bit in my hand twice. Guess what all that just on my right hand.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/31/20
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Ground my thumb off to the bone in my wood planner,nail gunned the joint on my index finger. Fun pulling that out with pliers. Shot a 2” nail thru the palm of my hand, ran a jigsaw blade half way thru the top of my hand, jabbed a Phillips bit in my hand twice. Guess what all that just on my right hand.

i make it a fast rule not to use power tools when i have been drinking!
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 05/31/20
Never drinking just 40 years of work
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 06/02/20
As a kid, trying to get the tail bone out of my first bucks hide.
One my knees, reverse grip on my not very sharp pocket knife.
It popped out of the hide and stuck in my leg right above tge knee.
Straight in, about 1 3/4". My folks wanted to take me to the hospital,
I refused and the didn't. Still remember the pop sound of it going in.
And the wound. About 3/4" wide and narrow. Inside out.
Looked like I had a little pussy on my knee!

Lots of little cuts in the kitchen.

Very frequent at work. Mostly small. But I handle rolled coated
paper and fiberglass. That crap cuts so good you often don't even know it.
You either see blood on stuff, or you just notice a tingle, and find the cut.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 06/02/20
Besides plenty of times with a knife there was the wire wheel on my disc grinder that ripped the tendon out from the back of my thumb that had to be reattached and then there were a couple small nicks with the stihl.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Ever Cut Yourself? - 06/02/20
last night cutting up a sweet onion for to days sammie .took 3 band-aids to get it to quit bleeding
© 24hourcampfire