Home
Posted By: Tuffcity Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/10/14
or as some refer to it, the Alcan.

My wife has taken a 4 month internship in Whitehorse, YT, as part of her Masters degree, so on December 28 we left south Vancouver Island and I drove her up to Whitehorse. December 30 found us leaving Ft Nelson in -23C (-16F) and blowing snow for the ~1000km/600 mile drive to Whitehorse. Quite a few critters encountered on the way up, especially between Muncho Lake and Watson Lake. Hel had never seen a bison before but now she understands why I didn't want to drive that section at night- these "northern speed bumps" like to congregate on the hwy. smile

A few pics from the trip:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][/URL]

RC
Posted By: EricM Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/10/14
Cool photos. That looks COLD!
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/10/14
nice lynx. I have made this drive several times in spring and fall seasons, I remember the sheep on Stone Mountain
Very neat pictures and experience.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/10/14

Really cool pics.........literally......

crazy
Posted By: 1minute Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/10/14
The bison don't seem to read the "yield" signs at all. Even with a serious roo guard on my truck, I'd not want to meet one at 60 mph.

Neat country with view property all the way.
Posted By: Captain Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/10/14
On my motorcycle I came across a singular and notably dark bison in that area in 2006. Later in Tok while talking to a Pepsi driver,I found out that this particular bison was a rogue that was ostracized from the herd and his name was Kenworth. He supposedly earned the name for killing a Kenworth semi by putting a horn through its radiator. A number of wild horses were in the same area as I recall.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/14/14
Thanks for posting. Some great photos. How are you liking Whitehorse?
Posted By: Tuffcity Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/14/14
I like Whitehorse.... mind you I flew back south a week later. smile We still have one kid in school so it will have to be skype and seat-sales for a few months.

I suspect a relocation to the Yukon is in our near future though.

RC
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/15/14
I can see why driving at night may be real hazardous on the radiator. The elk here in northern AZ like being roadside at night for the road salt and greener grass
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/15/14
Happy Birthday, Rabbit!
Posted By: slingshot Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 01/19/14
Very cool. Wish you had more photos.
I've made the trip to Alaska four or five time's, Made one round trip in the winter and a trip down in the winter. Have done the Alcan and the Cassiar both. Absolutely wonderful trip both ways. First trip up I went the Cassiar and carried an extra 30 gal can of gas with me. River Crossing 3 to Dease Lake was something like 300 mi with nothing but wilderness, it's a bit more civilized now. shoot last time I did it only maybe a half mile of the trip was on a gravel road! Someday I'd like to get a better car than I have and do it again in the winter. Everybody who like's it outdoors should take that trip. Up one way and down the other. I've driven to Anchorage and Fairbanks, from anchorage to Fairbanks and from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay, nothing like it in the lower 48!

My first trip up I stopped in Whitehorse for something. Went into a grocery and it was like stepping back in time a hundred years. Last trip Whitehorse had grown up. Point of interest going up the Alcan is Toad Crossing. Nothing but a small general store near the river. One neat thing is the way the name is spelled. When the first people arrived there, they had to tow their vehicle across the river, they had no idea how to spell towed! Toad has remained a long time. Sheep Mt up in the Yukon has a viewing area at the bottom on the Mt. It's just north of Kluane a ways.
Is that up by laird hot springs? I took similar photos 2 years ago in November in the Alcan don't miss a stop at the hot springs..
Posted By: 1minute Re: Winter on the Alaska Hwy - 03/28/14
Around the springs and toward Watson lake is where I see most of the bison. When one gets into the mts east of Watson is when a lot of the other game shows up.

I don't think I would ever tire of running that ground.
My first trip through there was in 05 by motorcycle. What an experience.. Somthing I will never forget.. I definatly will do it again but it is always better the first time..
© 24hourcampfire