Home
Posted By: lewis perkins Camera for KEN - 03/11/02
trying to keep this in the proper area.
<br>as i stated in the rifle rafle thread
<br>close ups of small objects, like ammo, case heads , ect
<br>require a decent camera and a flash called a ring flash.
<br>this keeps you from gitting funny shadows will be glad to give my limited knologe on this
<br>
<br>here is a (bad) example of what i mean.
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>as an extra can aneone I D this its yougosalv 7.62X54R but with a very light alumnium tip projectile
<br>perk
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Camera for KEN - 03/11/02
lewis,
<br>
<br>That is a new one on me. Very interesting. I could not venture a guess to it's purpose............
Posted By: blammer Re: Camera for KEN - 03/13/02
not a clue here,
<br>
<br>my nikon 995 allows for really close pics, I sent ken a few pics of a rifle and you could read the barrel markings on them easily (well I could before i had to reduce them in size)
<br>
<br>like I said before I don't know much bout cameras but I'm sure impressed with mine. I have posted a few pics lately by using my camera soo.....
Posted By: Talus Re: Camera for KEN - 03/13/02
Lewis, I'm guessing this is a projectile designed to be stabilized with self-contained fins as opposed to rifling the bore. So the gun would be a smoothbore, with the potential for MUCH more speed.
<br>
<br>Think about it -- why explode a bullet down a too-small hole merely to impart spin?
<br>
<br>Dave Petzal wrote about this idea in F&S back in 98 or 99. Tank cannons are designed this way to achieve the speed they need, he said.
<br>
<br>So what's the answer?
<br>
<br>Jeff
Posted By: lewis perkins Re: Camera for KEN - 03/13/02
I guess i should have put something in for scale.
<br>This as a 30/06 size round used in the Mosen-Nagant Rifle. or Medium soviet Machiene gun.
<br>What it is....Heck we dont know. that encludes me, the british army , the finnish army and a host of others. and the Yougo army vets we have around here. Some one knows.
<br>I have also found similer rounds in 7.62X39 (SKS, AK-47)
<br>Thay aint tracer or Ap as far as we can tell.
<br>
<br>
<br>About the CAMERA..
<br>I use the Dimage 7. love it for the most part.
<br>the advantage is it can be set to full manual, that is i select all the settings and focus by hand.
<br>I just didnt want Ken to buy a $100 Digi and then have poor results, allthough I beleve Ken knows that you get what you pay for. In guns or cameras.
<br>
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Camera for KEN - 03/16/02
"I use the Dimage 7. love it for the most part.'
<br>
<br>That's the one I'm after. A couple of my writer friends now shoot all their stuff on Dimage 7s and send their photos in as digital files. Take a look, for example, at the two-page lead photo in Lermayer's piece on Hevi-Shot in the current issue of Guns & Ammo. That, he tells me, is a digital Dimage 7 photo that he sent in as a JPEG file on a read-write CD.
<br>
<br>I've been waiting -- for years, now -- for digital resolution to go up and for prices to go come down, and this new Minolta is saying to me, "Here I am -- the reward for your patience."
Posted By: lewis perkins Re: Camera for KEN - 03/16/02
got mine at best buy in December for $900
<br>so the price is down.
<br>"for the most part"
<br> is not realy fair..i love it. but in "full auto" mode it has some limits..Low light seems to freak it out. but i just shot a lot of photos with it in a cave here when , no foolin, the power went out all over the country and im down in this hole with a guide who brought no light with him. Course, now I did so we continued the tour with my mag light. and i shot a lot of photos after that.
<br>remember that close ups may require a attachment lense there are some new ones out there.
<br>but you can see my effort above and it aint to bad.
<br>
<br>Now if i only knew what that round was for..........
<br>
<br>perk
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Camera for KEN - 05/06/02
Lewis, Ken,
<br>
<br>I know less than nothing about digital photagraphy. I still prefer 35mm. But your photo of the cartridges intrigued me. Talking to others and searching the internet. I found that almost any digital camera that has support for a macro distance of 10cm or less will probably do the job and this applies to about 1/3 of the cameras available on the market today. Most are pretty expensive. But I kind of like the Nikon Coolpix 5000, or the Minloita Dimage7i. Both are under $1000. As such you have a wide choice and you can define some other decision factors. Such as the accessories that are available to provide support for Macro shots.
<br>I was sent these links. I thought you all might be interested in. Looks like a good solution for lighting those close-ups.
<br>
<br>Phil
<br>
<br>http://bermangraphics.com/coolpix/clouddome.htm
<br>
<br>http://www.clouddome.com/html/whatis.html
<br>
<br>
Posted By: blammer Re: Camera for KEN - 05/13/02
Lewis send mean email my puter crashed I need your email again
© 24hourcampfire