Home
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Monarchs - 08/05/17
Posting these for Poconojack.

Marty,
Thank you, can't seem to post pics with my iPad. These pics were taken with an iPhone 6S on a friends farm in Chenango County, NY.
Best and thanks again,
Ted

[Linked Image]IMG_0830 by MartyinMontana, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG_0825 by MartyinMontana, on Flickr
[Linked Image]IMG_0824 by MartyinMontana, on Flickr
Posted By: 1minute Re: Monarchs - 08/05/17
A couple weeks back, I spent 5 days at high elevation in a sea of flowers and did not see a single Monarch. Becoming rare around here.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Monarchs - 08/05/17
Used to be a common sight. Haven't seen one this year.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Monarchs - 08/05/17
Same here in MT. Kinda like meadowlarks,
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Monarchs - 08/06/17
We just saw thousands of the last week in Nebraska ๐Ÿ˜ณ I noticed as we drove 80 the huge number of butterflies ๐Ÿ˜ณThey were all over the highway.. When we stopped, l looked around & found lots of monarch 's in the motel area.. The trucks were killing them by the bucketful..It was really very sad to see the hit and crippled.. I know we hit some, they were just everywhere ๐Ÿ˜’
Posted By: kingston Re: Monarchs - 08/06/17
Glyphosate
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Monarchs - 08/12/17
I haven't seen one in years.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Monarchs - 08/12/17
I see a few here and there. There is another much like the Manarch , am I correct?
Posted By: Ron Re: Monarchs - 08/13/17
Originally Posted by ihookem
I see a few here and there. There is another much like the Manarch , am I correct?

There are several. Queen, viceroy and fritillaries are the first that come to mind.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Monarchs - 08/16/17
Just returned from a tip to Kentucky. Saw a few there. Cookie took a couple pics, but nothing of publication quality.

As to look a likes, yes they exist. Mimicry efforts to avoid being eaten but I can't remember their names for sure. Possibly a Viceroy? Must be some real nasties in those Monarchs. A friend who still has his childhood collections reports that over 50 years or so vermin have worked their way in and pretty much destroyed every insect. The Monarchs though, look as good as the day he mounted them.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Monarchs - 08/20/17
1Minute, that is very interesting.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Monarchs - 08/20/17
Saw my first one for the yr, a couple days ago.
Odd............just not around like they used to be.

Viceroy is correct, the mimic...........smaller though.

Milkweed plants along creek growing up, we'd get caterpillars and boxes and feed them, watch the cycle.
Good times.
Also watched Cicadas crawl out and up my mom's elms.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Monarchs - 08/21/17
When I was a kid, I used to collect insects, and at that time (60's') there were Monarchs all along the irrigation canals living on the Milk Weed plants . In the early 70's when Interstate 90 was built in our area, most of the canals were re-routed or turned into cement and all of the Monarchs disappeared . Now, and for many years, I will see what I think of as a Monarch, but when I get closer they are usually Viceroy's. I know I haven't seen one anywhere in Montana for several years or more.
I had a collection with a nice Monarch in it, but when I came back from Viet Nam etc. I found my dad had thrown the collection away.
There may be some around somewhere, but I also have not seen a Milkweed Plant in years.
I think a lot of living things have disappeared with progress!

Ken
Posted By: duckster Re: Monarchs - 01/21/18
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire