Home
Posted By: Godogs57 Sony RX100 IV problems - 11/05/18
I bought mine off eBay from an individual a few months ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. For the record, it was purchased as a used camera. When I received it, it looked brand new.

In short, the image quality is horrendous. Images are, for lack of a better word, appearing unfocused. Slightly fuzzy. This is supposed to be a phenomenal camera and the price reflects that. But in all honesty the pictures look like a 25 year old 1 mp camera. Pictures taken in good light of various subjects, when zoomed up are not sharp at all. They are nothing like what Ken Rockwell shows on his review of the camera.

I attempted to take pics in RAW instead of jpeg and when opening up the files there is nothing there except a message saying the file is not supported. I’m using a Sandisk high speed card so I don’t think that could be the problem.

I shoot a Canon 5D, MK III and was looking forward to using the RX100 to stash in my pack as a lightweight alternative when hunting. That’s not happening with the quality of pictures I’m getting.

Suggestions?
Posted By: Brad Re: Sony RX100 IV problems - 11/05/18
Contact Sony...
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Sony RX100 IV problems - 11/05/18
Originally Posted by Brad
Contact Sony...

Screw that. I would return to the seller and if that is an issue, look into buyer protection through ebay/paypal.
Posted By: duckster Re: Sony RX100 IV problems - 11/05/18
Agree, return to seller
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Sony RX100 IV problems - 11/06/18
Complex telephoto zooms are very susceptible to optics coming out of alignment due to impacts or wear, that would account for the image quality you describe. A trip to a Sony, or a return to the seller, is in order.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Sony RX100 IV problems - 11/07/18
I had a RX100 mk4 and I loved that little thing. Took it hunting and it got a little wet. (I guess they're not water sealed!!!). Sony farms out their repairs to an outfit on the east coast (with very mixed reviews). Spoke to CameralandNY about their repair services. Gave me the straight talk about whether it was really worthwhile to pay for a repair that would potentially get close to the cost of a used camera. Your story puts a different spin on buying a used camera on ebay though.
Posted By: duckster Re: Sony RX100 IV problems - 11/24/18
I am very wary of electronics purchases from eBay or Craigslist.
© 24hourcampfire