Home
Posted By: RedRabbit Hey Ewe Three - 03/27/19
While out photographing the mountains and desert wildflowers east of Phoenix last weekend, I heard some rocks tumble. Looking in that direction, I saw what I thought was a deer several hundred yards away. Pointing my telephoto lens in that direction, I could see the round white butt of a bighorn sheep. So I abandoned the canyon shots and went in pursuit of the three desert bighorn sheep.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you are interested in the desert wildflower images from the Superstition Mountains and Bartlett Lake areas east of Phoenix, here is a link to that gallery:
https://www.plateaulightphotography.com/Landscapes/Arizona-Landscapes/Desert-Wildflowers/
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Hey Ewe Three - 03/27/19

Sometimes I do the same thing and point my telephoto cell phone out the window. Amazing how much the country in Arizona and Montana look so similar...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Texczech Re: Hey Ewe Three - 03/27/19
RedRabbit
Why do they look mangy?
Is it dirt or are they shedding
their winter coat?
Great pictures anyway!
Posted By: Texczech Re: Hey Ewe Three - 03/27/19
Maybe I'm trying to compare them to other sheep.
I dont know anything about sheep and did not intend to offend.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Hey Ewe Three - 03/27/19
I think they are two different species of sheep, and the sheep shrapnel sees have their heaviest coats on after a cold winter.
The desert bighorns are a different species aren't they?

I don't see anything similar in the pictures though. laugh

Ken
Posted By: 1minute Re: Hey Ewe Three - 03/28/19
Amazing set of horns on that dark faced ewe. Wonder what her age might be?

Nice shots.
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Hey Ewe Three - 03/28/19
Shrapnel-sometimes Edward Weston photography close to the road is a good thing. AZ does have some Rockies just south of Flagstaff and also in eastern AZ.
Texczech- the desert sheephave shorter hair on their coats. Looks like the one ewe bedded in some mud of poop. Arizona has received some very good rains this winter.
1' - at first i thought the larger ewe may be a young ram due to the horn length, but images from below showed no nutsack.
Posted By: Clayshooter25 Re: Hey Ewe Three - 09/12/19
The gender terminology for this species seems to have regional dialects. Back East (NY) we use the term "Ewes Guys" - - Ala "my Cousin Vinnie" - - "Yous Guys".

I wonder if these are all adults or if there are an "Yoots" in the group?

Seriously tho - - Great photos!!!
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Hey Ewe Three - 09/13/19
real nice photos. thanks for posting
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Hey Ewe Three - 09/14/19

yep......your Sheep need to gain some weight.......purty skinny

still pics are great as usual
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Hey Ewe Three - 09/14/19

not to hijack thread......but 600 miles north of your Sheep......

ours seem to be eating better.......

these......just east of town.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Hey Ewe Three - 09/17/19
tikkanut, it would have been nice to catch a band of rams like you did.. The Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix where those ewes were was burnt earlier this summer by the Woodbury Fire.
© 24hourcampfire