Home
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE GHO - 12/31/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: GHO - 12/31/19
Posted By: 1minute Re: GHO - 12/31/19
Good job! Is that a flash shot?

Cookie missed an opportunity a month or so back, as she was on the wrong side of her rig. A Great Horned Owl flying off with a Barn Owl in it's talons.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: GHO - 12/31/19
No flash, mid day shot.
Posted By: 1minute Re: GHO - 01/01/20
So is the dark background a shaded interior, sheet of black velvet, or just photo shopped out?

Cookie's been thinking of trying some black behind hummers, yellow warblers, etc.

Happy New Year and may all your images be bright.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: GHO - 01/01/20
Ha, no trickery involved. Don't use photo shop, only light room classic. Natural sunlight and the abandoned barn loft interior was dimly/partially lit. I shoot RAW almost exclusively. I partial metered and the image from card to computer had the owl blown out (desired affect) but all easily recovered. I think it would be easier to shoot the hummers in RAW and meter so that the hummers are blown out and then recover in editing but it's fun to experiment.

Happy New Years to you as well and looking forward to more of Cookie's shots.
1minute, image prior to editing .....

Now with shadows lifted to see loft is not dark ......

Posted By: 1minute Re: GHO - 01/01/20
"shaded interior" That was my first guess for the dark background. A flash would not have left any shadows in the eyes. Good job and appreciate the show and tell.

Nothing but raw, since our first days of going digital. Extreme whites (swans) and blacks (bear) make for some challenging exposure/focus issues.

Have a good one,

Posted By: duckster Re: GHO - 01/02/20
Really cool shots.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: GHO - 01/02/20
© 24hourcampfire