Home
Posted By: woodson Talley 20MOA rings? - 07/25/20
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1781381814

Just got these in. Curious if anyone on the Fire had any insight with these and whether lapping them is advisable?

I’m hoping they’re as reliable as the DD mounts they’ll replace.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 25aught6 Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 07/29/20
Have not tried them but have been curious about them myself. They are affordably priced. What Optic do you plan to use?
Posted By: woodson Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 07/30/20
Sightron Big Sky 4-16x42. Rifle is off to Shaen getting a Rock #2 spun on in 6.5CM throated for 147s.

Pretty stoked to get it back and mount everything up.
Posted By: BravoFoxtrot Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 07/30/20
Not a fan. Lapping is a function of many things including ring and base precision, receiver screw hole trueness, etc. I don’t lap anymore. I prefer the small weight compromise going with a good rail and quality rings. Talley, IME, is pretty low rent in quality and precision. I’ve owned many. Seekins, NF, and Badger are my preferred. However, if low round count and use, Talleys will get it done.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by BravoFoxtrot
Not a fan. Lapping is a function of many things including ring and base precision, receiver screw hole trueness, etc. I don’t lap anymore. I prefer the small weight compromise going with a good rail and quality rings. Talley, IME, is pretty low rent in quality and precision. I’ve owned many. Seekins, NF, and Badger are my preferred. However, if low round count and use, Talleys will get it done.

I agree to some extent, if it were mine I would use a good quality rail with Burris signature zee rings..........If the OP has already purchased the Talley's I would absolutely lap them.
Posted By: Slowdrifter Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 08/01/20
I have been running the same ring on a Christensen Mesa 300 PRC for about a year. Didn't lap them, no issues so far. Scope is a vx5 3-15
Posted By: Bater Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 08/24/20
I run Talley LWs on everything from 204 to 300RUM with zero issues. I lap until 75% + scope tube contact.
Posted By: Tstorm1 Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 08/26/20
Just got the same set myself (except 30mm) for a Bergara with a Burris Veracity. Got Talleys on pretty much everything and never had a problem. Haven't lapped any either. I'm hoping to get to the range soon and will get you a verdict.
Posted By: Cross Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 09/22/20
I helped my buddy pick these out and mount a set on his 7RM. I bedded and lapped them. I agree with not lapping if mounted on a good rail but when screwed directly to an action, I lap the bottom rings lightly to ensure proper alignment. If you’re not seeing ring edges shine up rapidly compared to the rest of the rings, you’re in pretty good shape.

My 2 cents.

Cross
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 10/02/20
For a Remington 700 1 piece base and ring with inclination my search starts and stops with Hawkins precision hybrids with 25 Moa. 10x better then the talleys.
Posted By: predmaster223 Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 11/04/20
To get a 40 moa set you can just use a med height rear and low height front setup and lap away
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Talley 20MOA rings? - 11/04/20
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
For a Remington 700 1 piece base and ring with inclination my search starts and stops with Hawkins precision hybrids with 25 Moa. 10x better then the talleys.

I picked up a pair of the Hawkins Precision Hybrids and I'm looking forward to giving them a try. Should be getting the barreled action in next week. They are much more robust than TLW's....and a tad heavier but not excessive. With the bubbled top ring it will save the weight of adding a bubble level to the scope. Will be lighter and lower than an inclined rail/rings but will lose the ring spacing freedom or the rail/ring.....everything's a trade off.
© 24hourcampfire