Home
Gear: rifle 26" plus suppressor, 7mm RM, 1in8", Hornady 180 ELD-M, Sig Kilo 3000 BDX, Kestrel 5700, LabRadar, 3-12 Bushnell LRTSi, 20 MOA mounts. Zero at 100 yards. Will use the standard AB solver of the Kestrel, upgrade to Elite if needed. (Also will run Shooter App).

Goal, realistic, deer, elk, antelope dope to 800. Dope to 1 mile. 3800-8000', -20 to 90F. I'd like to achieve 1.5 moa at 800, 12" steel.

To start, velocity. Load developed previously, about 2915 IIRC with old chrono and unsupressed, Moving forward.
Average of how many rounds? Record zero temp, what else?

Atmospherics. I have been a slacker here.... Never really had it good enough to go FAR.
Regular stuff or tempted to use density altitude... Hmmmmm?

What say you short of GFY and buy more chit? And yes, thanks in advance, I realize I will need to go outside. whistle

I don’t even chrono ammo anymore. I do my load development at 500 yards, shooting a series of charges in .4gr increments. Usually I’ll get two or more consecutive charges that have same POI and small vertical grouping. I pick the middle charge weight and load development is done. Based on charge weight and published data, I make an educated guess at velocity and get a good zero at 100 yards. Then I go to 800 and use the velocity truing function in my software. I use BCs derived by Bryan Litz if I can get them and published BCs if Litz hasn’t put anything out there. I have never not had DOPE not line up using this method.

I prefer DA. Just one number to mess with instead of three. Don’t even need to use temp unless you want to know when you’re going transonic.

John
Thanks John. Was hoping you'd chime in on your usage of DA. So..... I will have a good BC # from Litz, with solid atmospherics, I should be gtg just by manipulating velocity. Sounds like what I want vs before trying to tweak bc, density, and velocity to get something workable past 650.

Hmmm..
Any reason why you feel the need to keep a 100 yd zero? Why not a 200yd zero? Or further?
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Any reason why you feel the need to keep a 100 yd zero? Why not a 200yd zero? Or further?

For head shooting at 100? Additionally, I don't do mpbr sighting ever or associated thinking usually.

Wait hold the fort. I'll have to check if 20moa with 100y zero gets me out there.... Not familiar with this scope, was thinking SS. Hmmm.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Because it is easier to get a true zero without atmospheric influences
No problem carrying the gun dialed to 200 or whatever you like.
Appears I can make it a mile if really needed with 100 yard zero and 20 moa. But, might go metric so I only have to shoot a km. grin

Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I don’t even chrono ammo anymore. I do my load development at 500 yards, shooting a series of charges in .4gr increments. Usually I’ll get two or more consecutive charges that have same POI and small vertical grouping. I pick the middle charge weight and load development is done. Based on charge weight and published data, I make an educated guess at velocity and get a good zero at 100 yards. Then I go to 800 and use the velocity truing function in my software. I use BCs derived by Bryan Litz if I can get them and published BCs if Litz hasn’t put anything out there. I have never not had DOPE not line up using this method.

I prefer DA. Just one number to mess with instead of three. Don’t even need to use temp unless you want to know when you’re going transonic.

John

Interesting technique. I may try that. I'm sure I'm just having a brain fart; but, what's "DA"?
Density Altitude
Boomer,

It sounds like you are on top of things.

Kestrel is a big step in the right direction as the nearest airport data may or may not be copasetic.
Definitely have filled some gaps since last go around. Appreciate input from folks, hope to have some follow up soon. wink
Thanks Higg. Definitely a brain fart.
Just theorizing still, velocity change, same load now with the Silencerco Omega?
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Just theorizing still, velocity change, same load now with the Silencerco Omega?

This should deliver the LOLs. grin
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

So, in your experience, with the 7mm Remington Magnum, 26" barrel and Silencerco Omega, what velocity change can be expected, suppressed vs not? Thanks.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

So, in your experience, with the 7mm Remington Magnum, 26" barrel and Silencerco Omega, what velocity change can be expected, suppressed vs not? Thanks.

LOLs delivered.

Supposedly you own a Labradar, right?

Quit asking for internet opinions and go outside and chrono with suppressor and without.

It's not going to affect your wishful elk 800yd dope and the POI shift suppressed/unsuppressed is going to be orders of magnitude more important.

But what do I know? grin
Just like many things of unknown nature, folks myself included, have come here to ask questions. I'm simply interested in other's experience and what might be commonly expected so when I go forth, I'll have something to evaluate what I experience. Have found it's generally a damned good foundation in which to work from.

There won't be changing poi shift to be concerned with as it'll just be used suppressed.

I will eventually bust out the new LabRadar and go see what my particular rifle does. Do you have any educated guess yourself, or just content being Burnsy?
Just like many things of unknown nature, folks myself included, have come here to ask questions. I'm simply interested in other's experience and what might be commonly expected so when I go forth, I'll have something to evaluate what I experience. Have found it's generally a damned good foundation in which to work from.

There won't be changing poi shift to be concerned with as it'll just be used suppressed.

I will eventually bust out the new LabRadar and go see what my particular rifle does. Do you have any educated guess yourself, or just content being Burnsy?

So "eventually" you will actually do the work to develop solid data.

Good to know.

In the mean time don't skip out on Leupold bashing threads because you obviously have a depth of retard knowledge to add.

Literally could not make this goofy schit up. crazy
So, you literally have no informed opinion on potential changes of muzzle velocity suppressed vs unsuppressed that might be expected, that you would share?

Ok. That's 'cool'. Whatever floats your boat man.
So, you literally have no informed opinion on potential changes of muzzle velocity suppressed vs unsuppressed that might be expected, that you would share?

Ok. That's 'cool'. Whatever floats your boat man.

Literally I can tell you within 10 fps what will happen.

You still need to do the work you are trying to avoid.

Get off the couch and shoot some rounds you lazy SOB long before you throw bullets at 800yd elk.
Quite a set of assumptions.

In my view, you've had ample opportunity here to show yourself not a conceded assshole and haven't.

Go F*ck Yourself John Burns.
It's been a long while,since I've bothered to chrono a new rifle(prolly 20+ rifles ago). Kiss,find pressure and rock on. That nips ES/SD and come-ups are easily factored,in but a coupla pokes(unless you're suffering Reupold). Hint.

Shot a new rifle yesterday(8" 7-08),expecting a new one today(7" 22 PPC Improved) and I see a scope box in the Mail(1-6x HD Illuminatti),which needs opened. I cain't think of a rifle I have zero'd at the Hunnert Yard line. 22LR's at 50,Hummers at 125 and Whizzums at 150. Have a Lever 45LC zero'd at 75 with Illuminatti,but cain't recall anything at a Hunnert...but I've Hunnerts of 'em.(grin)

No thang to bore sight,shoot paper and get a good zero on the 2nd poke. From there,I simply zero turrets and stretch long,to eek DOPE. That distance varies upon the chambering and boolit,but it's shy of the Transonic Slip,excepting 22LR's if only obviously. 180's yesterday at 225yds and confirmations to the 1600yd line. Hint.

All bets are off with Reupold,as they've neither the internal mechanism to arrange same,nor a reticle to quantify. Hint.

Just sayin'..................
Thanks man. A couple of years ago I put this together, started at the start, kissed, found pressure rocked on, doped to 650, killed a couple deer, put it away, went trucking... Intent here was to get some input moving forward with the new mounts, scope, threads, suppressor, solver, ranger, speedometer. Time is at a premium. Had chrono at 2915, Shooter shows 2912 corrected. Ammo is loaded up, scope's mounted and I'll get out soon enough. No on the Rupold. Enjoy your days off as I know you will.

In my view, you've had ample opportunity here to show yourself not a conceded assshole and haven't.

You say that like it's a bad thing?
Thanks man. A couple of years ago I put this together, started at the start, kissed, found pressure rocked on, doped to 650, killed a couple deer, put it away, went trucking... Intent here was to get some input moving forward with the new mounts, scope, threads, suppressor, solver, ranger, speedometer. Time is at a premium. Had chrono at 2915, Shooter shows 2912 corrected. Ammo is loaded up, scope's mounted and I'll get out soon enough. No on the Rupold. Enjoy your days off as I know you will.

Wow.

My days of not taking you seriously are surely coming to a middling.

I had zero inclination of your breadth of experience as you bashed Leupold optics you never ever ever even used.

Good Luck and Lil Fish will always be there for you. laugh

Wow... just fuuucking wow!!! Just sickening actually
So to use the velocity truing function on software, y'all must have to use some very tall targets to get drop info past 500 yards?

Do you then start bringing the target in every 100 yards or so to connect the ranges for more accurate data?

Hey, lighten up. Maybe he was having a bad forehead day.
Originally Posted by Judman

Wow... just fuuucking wow!!! Just sickening actually

Talk about over complicating the [bleep] out of something.
I'd just take up golf.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hey, lighten up. Maybe he was having a bad forehead day.

Tanning beds shut down, due to Covid. Couple that with a nationwide shortage of spray tan and winter coming on....
Burns is STRESSED THE FUGG OUT!!
I want all youz smartazzes to know that I shot it today!

LOL

Gained 40 fps with suppressor, 180 ELD-M @ 2965. 7mm Mag suppressed is a hoot. DIY success, thank you very much.

Should have covered the flier! I mean I called it. I mean a fly got on my neck Uhhhhh.. Whatever, I am sticking with the load.

I may just use Shooter this fall. Time's a ticking and I don't do golf.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
So to use the velocity truing function on software, y'all must have to use some very tall targets to get drop info past 500 yards?

Do you then start bringing the target in every 100 yards or so to connect the ranges for more accurate data?

Oh, you can shoot, walk it in for hits (depending on distance, performance, target size, one click may be the difference between hit and miss), use those hits with the velocity truing function, then check at lots of distances to verify the solver gives you the correct dope. Then intermediate ranges outa work too assuming accurate G7 BC and atmospherics. That's my novice take. Even with this slick bullet, it's dropping 10 danged feet at 775 yards!

I want all you smartazzes to know that I shot it today!

LOL

Gained 40 fps with suppressor, 180 ELD-M @ 2965. 7mm Mag suppressed is a hoot. DIY success, thank you.

Should have covered the flier! I mean I called it. I mean a fly got on my neck Uhhhhh.. Whatever, I am sticking with the load.

Have a new Burris on it?
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I want all you smartazzes to know that I shot it today!

LOL

Gained 40 fps with suppressor, 180 ELD-M @ 2965. 7mm Mag suppressed is a hoot. DIY success, thank you.

Have a new Burris on it?

Now what kind of a question is that? Hell no! LOL
Haha

No, you don’t have to use absolute drop, in most of the apps you can input relative drop between the solution the app suggested and the drop from your actual DOPE. Getting good drop data at multiple distances is necessary.
So, the airport says 30" Hg, Kestrel says 25.6, my elevation is about 4600' and DA 6600'! LOL
Hits to 700!

Now all I need is a spotter saying "SEND IT" and Phucqk yah!

Oh, that Bushy LRTSi 3-12x44 is frickin awesome and complimenting this rifle nicely...

Regarding the LabRadar. Does it absolutely need the bullet details input to give accurate velocity near the muzzle? Am triggering by sound with airgun adapter BTW. What I mean, I input the details of one bullet, then got speeds for others and wondering if tgose numbers are suspect?
No. The bullet details are mainly for calculating energy, Taylor KO, etc.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
No. The bullet details are mainly for calculating energy, Taylor KO, etc.

Thanks Jordan. Appreciate it.

I give velocity an educated guess based on load data. It’s never been far enough off to make me miss the target at 800. Simply use the velocity truing function from those results. If you have good BC and good atmospherics velocity truing works quite well.

John
John, I'm absolutely jazzed with how this barrel nut rifle came together. Seeing your posts from years ago was the encouragement. Highly recommend for anyone wanting to DIY something special. wink
Ever thought of just getting a shoulder fired Proton Phaser? and be done with it...

they worked awfully well on all of those Star Trek reruns and Movies...

blast an elk, into Elk McNuggets are 2 to 5 miles... adjust the proton just right, they can be ready to eat, right there in the field..

that being contrary to guys like me that has ten 243s for example.. because I got each one on sale, or for a good price..
and then if they don't shoot, I rebarrel them... because I got them on sale....

I'm of the old school.. you really can get by in life with one rifle... but if you can get by with one... then 50 would be better...
LOL

At least the scope isn't Bluetooth!

I held off on a "big" gun until the 180 ELD-M came out and then couldn't resist.
© 24hourcampfire