Home
Specifically for hunting medium-big game.

What does everyone shoot and like?
208 amax er eld-m
Since this is the long range forum, hands down for me the Berger 210grVLD has been the most accurate bullet in several 300WM's
they perform quite well on game at ranges of 400yds and beyond...........that said if you are not planning on shooting that far say 400yds and closer, I would suggest the 200gr Accubond
Hornady 165 gr btsp interlock with h4831 for over 20 years. Keeps my dads freezer full.
Pretty damned hard to beat the 180 gr Nosler Partition for all around use in the 300 win mag. MB
200 grain Accubond works for us. The 220 Scenar ain’t a bad bullet either if you need a little extra BC. The Federal 200 grain TA looks like a good bullet if you can get your hands on them.
Easy, 215 hybrids all around bullet.
For game up to about 500 pounds, the Nosler Partition or Accubond in the 165 grain weight is unbeatable. For elk and larger I like the same, but in 200 or 220 grain weights.

But there is nothing wrong with the 180 grain either for a one-size fits all in all the 300 mags.

Get the bullet out the other side in a fairly straight line and you have done all you can do with any 300 mag and any bullet.
The bullet is a tool to make the hole. It's the hole that kills, not the bullet.
200 gr Accubond, has always worked good for me
Been using 180 Partitions for a very long time and no complaints with them. Started loading Accubonds last year but haven't drawn blood with them yet, so can't comment on them except they are very accurate in my 300 mags...
165 Barnes is what I use, also in 300 Weatherby’s
180gr. Accubond or 165/168gr. TTSX loaded with RL22 kept my 300WM humming along for many years! Antelope to moose I never needed anything else!

Elk Country
what rifle??
Originally Posted by hanco

I stated in my reply since this was the long range forum I gave the OP bullets for long range application, The 165gr Barnes TSX has a BC of .398 that is not in the realm of a long range bullet..........I shoot 22cals with a better BC than a barnes
200 grain partitions have worked great for the several 300 win mags that have been used by our family for many years. This is not the only caliber we use but the most often used, and this load has proven itself over and over again by performing well on a wide selection of game.
200 grain ELD-X over I believe 76 grains of H1000, CCI primer, 2900 fps. Single digit SD and ES. Shoots moa in my Remington Long Range and hits like a hammer. I don't hunt anything bigger than deer, but I have to believe it would be fairly effective on bigger stuff.
How about the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip? I read nothing but good things about them and they are available as a component.
I went light with the 150gr AccuBond out of my WinMag launched at 3320fps. They fly well and have performed flawlessly on a couple big bodied white tails.
200 eld-x, 215 Berger or the Berger 200.20x would be my choices assuming I had the mag box room to load them out like they should be.
180 or 200 Accubonds have worked well for me, but lately I’ve been working with the 215 Berger.
215 Berger with h1000
some have mentioned nosler partitions..long range ? what ranges and on what type of game.im curious.
some have mentioned nosler partitions..long range ? what ranges and on what type of game.im curious.
180 grain NAB and some H1000
Nosler 220 SMP, partition, stiff load of H 1000/ 83 grains...

I'm sorta old school.
215 Hybrids with H1000, N570, Ramshot

200 Partitions with H1000 and RE26

212 ELDX with H1000
200 Accubonds.
Originally Posted by Fotis
200 Accubonds.

It’s a killer for us. Not sure if there is better but man does it work well in 300’s.
For accuracy the 180 Sierra BT, for hunting the 180 Partition. Longest confirmed kill on elk at 540 yards. Mine likes 72 gr of H-4350. I have been using this load since 1970, and know there are better powders but this load has gotten the job done, time after time.
181 hammers @ 3230 fps. Have worked real well for me.

Richard
In the past, I have loaded and used on elk 180 and 200 Accubonds and 180 Scirocco II. I would now be tempted to try the new Federal Terminal Ascent bullet as BC and construction look real good to me. If BC for long range is not a sticking point, the Hammer Hunter would be the first choice. I used a HH in my 6.5 WSM this year and was impressed with accuracy, ease of reloading and terminal results on a cow elk.
Nosler Combined Technology 168 grain Ballistic Silvertip for deer and antelope. Longest shot with that bullet on a deer was half a mile, but that was out of a 300 Weatherby.
[Linked Image]

Mosin Nagant with 300WM Krieger barrel

125 gr nosler ballistic tip stopped this buck running away.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Pretty damned hard to beat the 180 gr Nosler Partition for all around use in the 300 win mag. MB

+1

180 NAB, too.

DF
My current favorite is our new Barnes 208 gr LRX bullet. Bullet, not ammo. I've been shooting it in my newly built LW 300 WM at 3000 fps (sub 10 SD) with Rel 26 in Peterson "Long" brass. 5-shot groups have been running in the .5" to .6" range. Please ignore the black tip. They will come with the standard blue tip which Barnes Bullets is known for. A 10 twist barrel should not work. 9 is on the edge. An 8 twist is much better. My 3.631" COAL is running about .135" off the lands of the carbon wrapped Bartlein barrel's lands. These bullets should easily expand down to around 1700 fps impact velocity.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

180 Accubond in the middle for comparison.

What’s the BC on that new Barnes bullet?
Originally Posted by Aviator
What’s the BC on that new Barnes bullet?

It has a G1 of .631. So far their is load data on our website for the 300 PRC.
165 gr. Nosler Partitions ,RL. 19 powder out to 500 yards
The .300 Win Mag is my favorite all around caliber and I've been hunting with it for 29 years now. I always liked 200 grain bullet since the cartridge is capable of good velocity with the heavy bullets but I bought 1000 factory over-run 180 grain accubonds a few years ago and since I have so many, it's all I have used for a while now. I have killed 11 big mule deer bucks from 50 yards to 450 with them, 2 antelope at 300 yards and 526 yards with them and two elk at 340 yards and 530 yards with them. Every one worked perfectly, close or far, and only one animal had to be shot more than once, (a 5 point bull elk at 530 yards) my fault for hitting it slightly low in the brisket and raised the next one up 10 inches and finished it. All pushed by H1000.

Some guys talk crap about the accubond but I have had only text book results with them and only recovered 2, both were perfectly mushroomed, the rest exited. Some guys don't think a 180 30 caliber is a good "long range" bullet either so to each their own, "long range" is relative anyway. I prefer not to shoot over 400 yards and will only do it if I absolutely can't get closer. Even then 600 is my absolute limit on an unwounded animal and only then if everything is just right. I guess I'm not a long range hunter.

Many good bullets out there these days, I would just pick a premium bullet that shoots great in your gun and you shouldn't have a problem with performance.
I have been using the 180 grain Partition for over 50 years and it's never failed me yet, on numerous deer and elk. Of course my longest kill has only been out to 540 yards.
Good information.. I need this...
I have a rem 700 in 300 wsm. Its a real picky little bitch. I tried a 8-10 different powders/bullet combos. 180g ttsx and h4350sc is what it really likes. Good luck.
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I stated in my reply since this was the long range forum I gave the OP bullets for long range application, The 165gr Barnes TSX has a BC of .398 that is not in the realm of a long range bullet..........I shoot 22cals with a better BC than a barnes

Never shoot over, 275 yards, the 165 Barnes is great for my hunting.
Berger 230 gr OTM pushed by H1000.
200 grain Partition
Originally Posted by hntnnut
181 hammers @ 3230 fps. Have worked real well for me.

Richard

I'm starting to use Hammer bullets in other rounds, am impressed so far.

What's you load and have you tried that one on game?

So far, my fav 300 WM load is the 180 NAB over RL-22. But, I'm starting to sub RL-23 for RL-22 or using MRP. I don't plan on buying any more RL-22, as I think the two mentioned alternatives are better powders. Now if RL-22 was all I could find.... But, I have a big jug of MRP which should last a while. Also use it in other rounds, like my Swede with 139 Scenars. Have a couple pounds of RL-23.

DF
200 grain Nosler Partition
Accurate and never failed on a big game animal.
Would consider the same in a Accubond but kind of in a situation if ain’t broke why try to fix it!
200g NAB
200g NPT
215g Berger hybrid target

I've used the Berger fir the last several years and it has worked very well on game even though it is a target model.

Bb
I've tried a couple of different bullets but finally settled on 180 Nosler Partitions protected points in my 300 WM.
Well, here’s to my first post. Been a long time since I was on this forum. Can’t remember any login and don’t have same email...oh well, I guessed for a bit then just gave up. Back to the post:
Currently using 195gr Hornady ELDM and 195 Sierra TMK. Running them right at 2900fps.
210 Berger
210 LRAB
180 accubond has taken deer, elk and bear for me. Most never took more then a few steps. Ranges have been from 50 - 400 yards, the bullet has performed well in all cases.
With 300 win mag. I wouldn’t shoot anything lighter than 180.
190-210 is where I’d be looking at.
Can’t wait for this shortage to be over
180 gr. Sietra boattails, 77 gr. Re22, 3080 f.p.s,
Shoot through 1/2 inch steel plate at 400 yards.
I got my first 300WM back in the late 90's. First used 180 NBT (when they were softer) took an antelope doe at 344 long steps. Then shot a 3pt Mule Deer about 75yds, really came apart, so then went to the Barnes 180 XBT. 76gr R22 was pure poison. Used that load for years, mine and other rifles. Between me and my friends, we killed over 30 head of Plains game (on four trips) with that combo.

Last year, I tried out the Barnes 175 LRX with 73gr R23, shot a cow elk right at 100yds. Opened well through the ribs, left a silver dollar sized exit. I love it. So now, with another new Mesa on hand I am using the 175 LRX exclusively. I like it that it is soft enough to open up close w/o blowup. I am settling down awhile with this one. I like the 200 NAB in the 300 RUM.
I’ve seen 180 hornady, 200 partitions, 180TTSX, 150tsx and 130TTSX used in various 300mags. They all work. Last few years I’ve been loading 130TTSX for a few buddies in their 300 mags after I tried them in my 308. They have all been very impressed. If I was going to shoot my 300 I think I’d try the 130TTSX. Probably a little less recoil and stupid flat trajectory out to where most game is shot.
200gr Partitions for work - 200gr Speer HotCor for play. Shot lots of others over the years but keep coming back to the heavier thirties
If there was only three bullets available,I'd be happy with shooting the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond and the 200gr Accubond.I've been impressed with how tough the 180gr Ballistic Tip is.The other thing about these bullets is,they are so easy to get them to shoot well.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
200gr Partitions for work - 200gr Speer HotCor for play. Shot lots of others over the years but keep coming back to the heavier thirties

I’d add the 200 grain Accubond in there as well. Seen it do amazing work from up close to 675 yards from a few 300’s.
180 NBT - NAB
Imr 4955
3100 fps
Originally Posted by Craig2506
Hornady 165 gr btsp interlock with h4831 for over 20 years. Keeps my dads freezer full.

I 2nd that.
200 grain Nosler partition in both my 300 WM
That is 300 Weatherby Mag’s and 300 Win Mag.
For each it is also the most accurate bullet/load I’ve tried.
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I don’t shoot past 275 yards, the 165’s are plenty good for that. Are the 168’s better?
For long range I seem to use more 190 ABLRs than anything these days, over 80-81 gr of H1000. Use it in 3 different 300 Wins. I've had mixed success getting ABLRs to shoot but that particular one usually works. Trajectory and windwise it launches the .300 Win into heavy bullet STW land.

One rifle was being fussy, but the 185 Classic Hunter and IMR 4831 fixed that right up.

For more general use I use 180 Accu-bonds and NBTs for that matter.
For long range I seem to use more 190 ABLRs than anything these days, over 80-81 gr of H1000. Use it in 3 different 300 Wins. I've had mixed success getting ABLRs to shoot but that particular one usually works. Trajectory and windwise it launches the .300 Win into heavy bullet STW land.

One rifle was being fussy, but the 185 Classic Hunter and IMR 4831 fixed that right up.

For more general use I use 180 Accu-bonds and NBTs for that matter.
The 200 AB over 73 grains RL22, lit by WLRM primers for 2970 fps from a 24" Savage into sub-moa. About 3000 fps from a 26".

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Being old school and still living like its the 1950s...

220 grain Round Nose, with a charge of 82 grains of 4831SC....

when hitting steel with it at 300 or 400 yds... other people on the range stop and notice...

its a hammer...
That's only 10 or 11 grains over Hodgdon's max. Pressure probably 100,000+ psi. Hard on brass and bolt lugs.
Since this is the long range hunting rifle channel…

Berger 215 hybrid

Hint…..
My 300 Win Mag and my 300 Weatherby Mags like Reloader 26 and 200 grain partitions. Most accurate load in any of them.
Originally Posted by 219 Wasp
That's only 10 or 11 grains over Hodgdon's max. Pressure probably 100,000+ psi. Hard on brass and bolt lugs.

Yeah. Hopefully it’s a typo..

😂😂😂
200g Nosler AB in Nosler Brass with Nosler max book load of H4831sc. FGMM primer. 24" Kreiger bbl. Sub moa in my rifle. Those 200.20x Bergers interest me too.
Originally Posted by trailrider121
Easy, 215 hybrids all around bullet.

This is what I've been using for 6-7 years in my 300 wsm. Two bull elk, one buck antelope, and 4 or so mule deer bucks all down with 1 shot each. Ranges from 100ish yards to 550 yards. Kills very well and handles wind well. My MV is 2800 fps.

Bb
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Nosler Combined Technology 168 grain Ballistic Silvertip for deer and antelope. Longest shot with that bullet on a deer was half a mile, but that was out of a 300 Weatherby.

Same here. Best groups of all I've tried, 3000fps, Elk out to 450 yards. Use them in other calibers as well.
208 eldm dumped a cow elk at 520 yds this year. One shot zero steps. The 208 is perfect in the 10 twist 300s
© 24hourcampfire