Home
I’ve had this rifle since the mid 2000’s and haven’t done much with it. I’ve got a Leupold with a CDS dial on it and have old school but outstanding Partitions using Retumbo to right around 3200. Effective yes. Maximizing the platform - probably not. Admittedly I’m not much of a 7mm guy and the rifle has been a safe queen.

Clearly it’s in need of an update.

Give me some advice.
I’d probably put a real good scope on top that allows you to dial and load up something like a 180 Scenar or similar and have some fun. In the Remington that big Ultra Mag would be a helluva rifle.

Those AWRs are pretty danged good rifles. Maybe check bedding over a bit and put some good mounts on it.
What do you plan to do with the rifle, hunt or just play (bang steel etc.) If hunting, what are you going to hunt (deer, elk, bear etc.) After deciding that, then I would pick my bullet for the chosen job. After that, I would pick my scope depending on what I was trying to do (i.e. target or hunting) and the distance I was trying to do it at.
Thanks, Beretzs!

I’ve sold the thing 100 times in my mind simply because it doesn’t serve an immediate purpose. Kinda like owning an F1 car while living in Manhattan I suppose.

This particular Alaskan Wilderness Rifle came out of the custom shop in 2005 - at the time I simply HAD to have it.

I’ll hunt for those 180gr Scenars and give them a whirl.

Any thoughts on Glass? SWFA or better than that?
Pullit - I suppose I’d like to make up a true 1k rifle for medium game & play with as well. The rifle only weighs 6 1/2lbs without glass so it’s a sleek 26” bbl hunter in its current form. Thinking about warming it up on an Antelope this Fall
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Thanks, Beretzs!

I’ve sold the thing 100 times in my mind simply because it doesn’t serve an immediate purpose. Kinda like owning an F1 car while living in Manhattan I suppose.

This particular Alaskan Wilderness Rifle came out of the custom shop in 2005 - at the time I simply HAD to have it.

I’ll hunt for those 180gr Scenars and give them a whirl.

Any thoughts on Glass? SWFA or better than that?

A SS 3x9 or NF 2.5x10 is typically where I look for a hunting rifle. They work great for me and seem to be Marine proof so far.

If I didn’t have a Mashburn I’d be all over that rifle myself. While it’s pretty big, to me, it’s a great hunting rifle for big game. I can’t hardly build a darned 70 to be 6 1/2 pounds empty! Ha.
Just my opinion but for speed goats, I would look for a fast sleek 130-140 gr bullet. I know they don't have the high BC of a heavy bullet but goats are not hard to kill so I would not want to use a real heavy bullet and take the recoil out of a 6.5 gun. That is just me, but I would find the highest BC 130-140 gr that would hold together at the speeds you will be pushing them at and have fun.
For bigger stuff, sure use as heavy a bullet as you want 160-180 gr.
162 ELDM 4-18 LRHS Bushnell
@Beretzs - might be a dumb question - are the Scenar 180’s that you suggested the same as the ‘Scenar L’?
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
@Beretzs - might be a dumb question - are the Scenar 180’s that you suggested the same as the ‘Scenar L’?

Same same Pints.
Vortex razor lhd 3x15x42mm. 19 oz and tracks awesome. 168 long range accubonds
Originally Posted by Fotis
Vortex razor lhd 3x15x42mm. 19 oz and tracks awesome.

Has Cummins tested one of these yet?
Asking for a friend ... 🦫
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Who cares?
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Rabblerouser grin

That’s a Remington I wouldn’t mind having though.
I have the same rifle that is really getting down on barrel life. I wished I would have paid a little more attention to not shooting it unless I was going to kill something. They were skim bedded from the custom shop and mine is in the 16 oz McMillan Kevlar stock that had a void in the rear action screw. I pillar bedded it and problem solved. I started out with 154 hornady interbonds. And 95 grs of Retumbo with a 215 M and velocity was 3510. The rifle was a three shot .550 gun until I needed more bullets and got a batch of interbonds that wouldn’t shoot and it turned out to be a QC problem with the bullets weighing over 3 grs difference from lightest to heaviest. I tried 160 nosier accubonds with terrible pressure problems and by the time I had got the pressure under control I was under 3000 FPS and shot in the high .3s (a friend had the same problem with a Christensen arms 7mm rum as well). I tried the 168 VLD at 93 grs of retumbo and a WLRM and never looked back. I’ve got the 4.5 x14x44 Ziess conquest on mine and have been very happy with it. If I was going to do it now I would put the Ziess 4x16x 44 with the 30 mm tube on it with a dial.
If it were me I’d sell it and get a better mouse trap
To lite to fight, too heavy to run!

I'd set it up lite and hunt it, buy build a real long range gun.

Mike
Ready - Roger that. Indeed too light to fight, to heavy to run. That’s been the battle.
I load 140’s for my 7mm ultra mag. Great for the deer and pig hunting I do.
Originally Posted by raghorn
If it were me I’d sell it and get a better mouse trap

Bang!...100%. Hint.

Too much case length and too much throat,in relation to COAL latitude. Brass "quality",also being a heavy concession. If noise and recoil horn you up however,it arranges both nicely,at the cost of performance in relation to "lesser" chamberings. Hint.

Not that 140's,154's and 168's ain't fhuqking HILARIOUS notions and doubly so,with the swooning of Vortex...adding copiously to the oblivious humor. In fairness however,my LRHSi wouldn't track,hold zero or repeat,though all of my LRTSi's have been rather fhuqking exceptional. Bushie threw the POS LRHSi in the garbage and replaced with a LRTSi,to their credit. I've never heard of SWFA though. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Trajectory is easy(mechanical),Wind ain't(Voodoo) and BC is your BEST friend there. Very fhuqking easy to connect all dots mechanically and the AWR 284 RUM is a Goat Fhuqk. Said rifle in SALAMI 280 would be Skookum with (4) in the belly and 180 ELD Smooches capably housed in the OEM magbox. Lapooey brass prolly don't suck either and the noise/recoil reductions,ain't gonna hurt Production either. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Spend $.99 on a "For Sale" sign and weigh mechanics. You KNOW you'll never shoot the fhuqking thing for schit and that ain't a recipe for developing a skillset. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint......................
Hah!

Spend $.99 on a "For Sale" sign and weigh mechanics. You KNOW you'll never shoot the fhuqking thing for schit and that ain't a recipe for developing a skillset. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint.....................
Well s*it Stick. You made several good points. Maybe a new barrel is the answer - the platform is pretty sleek for what could be a decent long range banger.
If only in fairness...I wasn't guessing. Hint.(grin)

I've had multiple AWR handles(McMillan all),though nothing larger than 375H&H AI. The ergo's agreed with me and folks who gunned mine,liked same. Hint.

No thang to dupe contour and rebarrel as per whim. Though I'd simply trip the works and start from scratch,with the loot scooped. .473" S/S 700 L/A 1-8" 280 SALAMI in a MR contour at 22". Throat it to Smooch 190 Beer Cans in OEM confines,which will by default,align the 180 ELD M to boot. Trigger Tech Flatty,Grayboe's new LW Outlander,DD's and a 6x MQ. You'll reap a .838 BC,modest recoil and fhuqking incredible performance...with zero Fluff or bullschit. Hint.

NOTHING,matters more than boolits. Hint....................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If only in fairness...I wasn't guessing. Hint.(grin)

I've had multiple AWR handles(McMillan all),though nothing larger than 375H&H AI. The ergo's agreed with me and folks who gunned mine,liked same. Hint.

No thang to dupe contour and rebarrel as per whim. Though I'd simply trip the works and start from scratch,with the loot scooped. .473" S/S 700 L/A 1-8" 280 SALAMI in a MR contour at 22". Throat it to Smooch 190 Beer Cans in OEM confines,which will by default,align the 180 ELD M to boot. Trigger Tech Flatty,Grayboe's new LW Outlander,DD's and a 6x MQ. You'll reap a .838 BC,modest recoil and fhuqking incredible performance...with zero Fluff or bullschit. Hint.

NOTHING,matters more than boolits. Hint....................

Stick-

Anything preventing the same cartridge, bullet and barrel specs shining in a retubed Kimber 84L Montana?
EVERYTHING preventing it. Hint.

The Montucky 84L will barely make a passing Six-Twat Six,given the exceedingly trite COAL "latitude" and there's zero fhuqking way a 280 can begin to breathe,with said projectiles. Though a Six-Twat Six wearing a 6x MQ,on said platform,prolly wouldn't suck. Hint.(grin)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

700 or bust. Hint.................
Oh wow, suckasses, suck ass, players collect shiit, I’d either 120 or 140 bt, as fast as you could run em, no big stupid turrets, and simply ghost more shiit holdin on hair than bacon throat and dumbfucks piled up in (1) sack of shiit and fanboys imagination and pretend dummies do all year
Originally Posted by Big Stick
EVERYTHING preventing it. Hint.

The Montucky 84L will barely make a passing Six-Twat Six,given the exceedingly trite COAL "latitude" and there's zero fhuqking way a 280 can begin to breathe,with said projectiles. Though a Six-Twat Six wearing a 6x MQ,on said platform,prolly wouldn't suck. Hint.(grin)

700 or bust. Hint.................

LarryO!!! Aka bacon throat, I thought fresh was fresh... how much salmon can you eat in (1) sitting??? It’s good, this is a safe place... 😂
Fortunately for Crying Karen,Imagination and Pretend are Free,so she can "afford" to "contribute"...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It'll come as a "surprise"only to her,that scopes that track,repeat and hold zero,actually have a center too. Conjoin same with an etched reticle of lineal graduations and her wildest DREAMS,simply become blasse' and given her "Means","abilities" and "comprehension",she'll not even be able to begin to fathom the magnitude. I'd liken it akin to being fixated with fresh Halibut Bait and the "nuances" of same,simply eclipsing her best efforts. I enjoy the notion,that she 'thinks" her stupidity is a "choice". Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon wares that exist,being so reliably unsettling. Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps,despite her inability to summons the 17 IQ Points requisite,to be privvy to same. Hint. Fhuqking laughing!

Bless her heart,for perpetually adding to her very loonnnggggggg list of WELL founded Insecurities,as she feverishly reads my EVERY word and gawks EVERY Splendid Pixel,while "living" vicariously and melting down yet again.

Do NOT "forget",that Imitation is the MOST Sincere form of Flattery and pardon my controlling your every thought and "move",as you set mired wearing your mask and flaunting your vaccine. You can almost punctuate by yourself. ALMOST!

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................
LarryO, aka bacon throat!!! Just a guess here, “judging by the bullets the op listed”, he’s a hunter, so I would think shooting garage sized rocks at 1500 yards with a “fixed 6” probably doesn’t interest him... I could be very wrong though...😂 load that biitch with 120’ or 140’s and go hurt shiit. 👍
© 24hourcampfire