Home
Posted By: Idaho44 338 RUM - 11/06/21
Anyone have any experience with this caliber for long range elk hunting? Distances between 500-1000 yards. Thanks in advance for input!!
Posted By: desertoakie Re: 338 RUM - 11/06/21
Well, the 338 RUM is nearly a ballistic equal to the 338 Lapua mag, and that has been used on Tallyban out to 2700 yards effectively!! wink
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: 338 RUM - 11/07/21
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Well, the 338 RUM is nearly a ballistic equal to the 338 Lapua mag, and that has been used on Tallyban out to 2700 yards effectively!! wink

That's good stuff right there.
Posted By: wade brown Re: 338 RUM - 11/09/21
Make a good choice of bullet, good shot placement and all will be good.

Be careful on the Taliban example, keep in mind they are pretty thin skinned animals.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 338 RUM - 11/16/21
The 338 rum was always one of my favorite 338's. Very capable round that fits a rem action much better than the lupua. Getting good brass is the only downside to it. I also like the looks of the 33 nosler.

Bb
Posted By: Bater Re: 338 RUM - 11/22/21
The Stuck in the Rut crew from North Idaho has filled multiple arks with a 338 RUM. Pull them up on YouTube. Everything from deer to grizzly at extended ranges. I think the main guy Travis runs 225 AB's. Bottom line it'll work fine.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: 338 RUM - 12/09/21
I've killed a cow elk at 700 with a 250 grain Sierra Game King.
Muzzle velocity is 3,050 fps.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 338 RUM - 12/09/21
Splatt, what powder and barrel length on that load? That's cooking.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: 338 RUM - 12/24/21
Just tuned back in to this.
I'll tell you in a bit. Having back issues again, and not moving around too well.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 338 RUM - 12/24/21
My old 338 Rum did great things with the 250 Scenar at 3050 via 90gr of R25. Once I worked that load up it’s all I used for the barrels life and killed bears and elk from 300-800 without issue. It’s new barrel is a 338 Edge due to better brass being available.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 338 RUM - 12/24/21
I'm gathering parts for a 338 RUM and also a 300 RUM barrel for it also. I will use either as I choose. Hopefully the Echols stock will be ready.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338 RUM - 12/25/21
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
My old 338 Rum did great things with the 250 Scenar at 3050 via 90gr of R25. Once I worked that load up it’s all I used for the barrels life and killed bears and elk from 300-800 without issue. It’s new barrel is a 338 Edge due to better brass being available.

I’d bet that was a mountain hammer.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: 338 RUM - 01/02/22
I'm using 95 grains of rldr 25, and my barrel is 28 inches, but 1.5 inches of the end is built in muzzle brake.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: 338 RUM - 01/06/22
My 338 Edge is nothing more than a SAAMI 338 RUM reamer drilled in deeper to use necked up 300 RUM brass, also used 338 RUM dies to load ammo until I finally got the Redding 338 EDGE dies, this was built back in 2011 ...

Have taken moose & blackbear out to 650 yards with it, had a few hunts where I had moose at 900 & 1200 yards but I called off the shots due to wind and not much confidence in the 300 gr Accubond bullet opening up at that range, it's a very hard bullet and zips right through blackbear at 500 yards without opening up unless you smack them right in the shoulder bones, the 180 gr Accubond works much better in the 300 RUM but bc sucks

in the beginning of this video that I made in 2013, it shows the terrain where I hunt moose & black bear... I set up on the tops of ridges and glass the valleys, ridges and meadows below, very effective hunting scenario provided you have a proper rifle/cartridge/bullet combo, this was the first moose ever taken with the new at the time, Nosler 300 gr Accubond bullet !

The 338 RUM is ballistically similar to the slightly longer 338 Edge and will sling same bullets at same velocity, ADG is making brass for both and I've stocked up on Edge brass since it's what I have .... Got well over 1k rounds through the barrel and it stll shoots great, 1:9.5 twist Boots Obermeyer bbl in Rem Varmint contour, got a 30" 8 twist Rock Creek in Light Palma contour as a replacement barrel in the shop waiting for it's turn .....

Posted By: slm9s Re: 338 RUM - 01/06/22
I take my Underground Skunkworks 338RUM for "overwatch" of hayfields at dusk during elk season. I've never got to pull the trigger on an animal though. I've shot it out to 1670, a lot of fun.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Andy3 Re: 338 RUM - 01/06/22
Not on elk....but on Sable, in 2011. My dad using a 338 rum with 250 grain accubonds on a 350+ yard sable, off the sticks. The reaction of the PH and tracker, after the shot, was because they insisted that shot couldn't be made. Dad, 2 weeks shy of 80 years old, proved them wrong! He took all his plains game with that rifle, all with 1 shot. His 2 cape buffalo were also 1 shot kills....but done with a 500ne and 570 grain X bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki0OVgqFFUU
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: 338 RUM - 01/07/22
Originally Posted by Idaho44
Anyone have any experience with this caliber for long range elk hunting? Distances between 500-1000 yards. Thanks in advance for input!!

for long range shooting, also use my 338/416 Rigby too
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 338 RUM - 01/07/22
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Just looked at Bertram Brass, $200 per 100 cases- not too bad.
I remember Shawn Carlock selling 338 Edge brass at $5 per case/ 100 cases $500 that's getting expensive.

I haven't paid attention to long range hunting in a while but the 300gr. MatchKing was always considered good.
Many liked the old 285gr. A-Max also.

Went and looked at Bergers site, appears the big dreams of 350gr. Bergers didn't pan out, the 375's are up there.
The 300gr Hybrid would likely kick-butt at long range, the 180's out of my 280ai sure hit hard,.out to 800 yards.

338 are Beasts.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: 338 RUM - 01/08/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Went and looked at Bergers site, appears the big dreams of 350gr. Bergers didn't pan out, the 375's are up there.
The 300gr Hybrid would likely kick-butt at long range, the 180's out of my 280ai sure hit hard,.out to 800 yards.

338 are Beasts.

300 hybrids are indeed the mainstay in my edge
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 338 RUM - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by Andy3
Not on elk....but on Sable, in 2011. My dad using a 338 rum with 250 grain accubonds on a 350+ yard sable, off the sticks. The reaction of the PH and tracker, after the shot, was because they insisted that shot couldn't be made. Dad, 2 weeks shy of 80 years old, proved them wrong! He took all his plains game with that rifle, all with 1 shot. His 2 cape buffalo were also 1 shot kills....but done with a 500ne and 570 grain X bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki0OVgqFFUU
Anybody know where I can get a shoulder like his? laugh
Posted By: MtnGadabout Re: 338 RUM - 10/12/22
I have shot several elk with my 338 RUM - old Rem SPS - 28", using 250 gr. accubonds.

The 338 RUM seems to tip them a little faster than the 300 RUM - using 180 Siroccos. Never lost an elk to either round - knock on wood!
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: 338 RUM - 10/16/22
I've taken several bull moose with the 338RUM and a 250 Accubond. Shots were from 54yds to 315yds IIRC. I caught only one bullet which traveled through both shoulders of an old bull. The retained weight was 140gr which I thought was pretty good considering how much heavy bone it penetrated.
Posted By: yobuck Re: 338 RUM - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by desertoakie

That's good stuff right there.
Remember one very important thing, If you blow off a humans pinkie finger, he is out of commission.
Posted By: Sheister Re: 338 RUM - 10/16/22
My 338 WM in a Winchester SS Classic is pushing 225 grain Accubonds out the spout at 2950 with about 20% less powder charge. I'm wondering if it is worth the effort , time, and expense to go to the RUM version just so I can deal with all the extra recoil. I've taken elk out to 600 (so far) with the Win Mag and it had plenty left IMO, so I think I'll stick with it for now....
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 338 RUM - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by Sheister
My 338 WM in a Winchester SS Classic is pushing 225 grain Accubonds out the spout at 2950 with about 20% less powder charge. I'm wondering if it is worth the effort , time, and expense to go to the RUM version just so I can deal with all the extra recoil. I've taken elk out to 600 (so far) with the Win Mag and it had plenty left IMO, so I think I'll stick with it for now....

Good choice buddy. Then you have to consider weight too. When I'm elk hunting, I don't want to be packing a 13 pound 338 RUM or Lapua magnum with a muzzle brake either. I like to keep my 338wm nice and light and well balanced. I was just out shooting a very nice 338 Lapua mag the other day with my buddy. He's thinking about buying it. It is damn heavy, has a big brake on it. It shot well. Probably better than most guys I've seen at the range with their big Lapua mags. 5/8" 3 shot groups from myself and my buddy laid down a couple 1" groups. He's SWAT, so he's still learning. Ha ha. He wanted me to come out and help him decide if he really wants to buy the rifle. He likes it, but after we started shooting his Tikka 308, he started wondering why he needs the 338... He said he's not going to be shooting past 500 yards. At 400 yards, he was shooting 4" groups with the big gun. 1" groups with the Tikka.. Here's my 5 shot group from the 308, using factory ammo:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Target is chewed up looking, but his ballistic app said it was in the .1's. I told him it was closer to 1/4". Both my buddy and I were shooting 1" 3 shot groups at 400 yards with that rifle. I told him, lets work up a good load for that rifle and you can drop just about anything you want at your imposed range limit of 500 yards.. Everyone has their range stories, but it seems like most guys that I've seen shooting the tactical looking big 338's are younger inexperienced shooters. Usually shooting 3"+ groups at 100 yards, then saying, "that is good enough".. You are a member of my club, hell you may have seen one of the guys I'm talking about? I'm like you though, I've used the 338wm enough that I know it will get the job done with less fuss...
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 338 RUM - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good choice buddy. Then you have to consider weight too. When I'm elk hunting, I don't want to be packing a 13 pound 338 RUM or Lapua magnum with a muzzle brake either. I like to keep my 338wm nice and light and well balanced. I was just out shooting a very nice 338 Lapua mag the other day with my buddy. He's

thinking about buying it. It is damn heavy, has a big brake on it. It shot well. Probably better than most guys I've seen at the range with their big Lapua mags. 5/8" 3 shot groups from myself and my buddy laid down a couple 1" groups. He's SWAT, so he's still learning. Ha ha. He wanted me to come out and help him decide if he really wants to buy the rifle. He likes it, but after we started shooting his Tikka 308, he started wondering why he needs the 338... He said he's not going to be shooting past 500 yards. At 400 yards, he was shooting 4" groups with the big gun. 1" groups with the Tikka.. Here's my 5 shot group from the 308, using factory ammo:

Target is chewed up looking, but his ballistic app said it was in the .1's. I told him it was closer to 1/4". Both my buddy and I were shooting 1" 3 shot groups at 400 yards with that rifle. I told him, lets work up a good load for that rifle and you can drop just about anything you want at your imposed range limit of 500 yards.. Everyone has their range stories, but it seems like most guys that I've seen shooting the tactical looking big 338's are younger inexperienced shooters. Usually shooting 3"+ groups at 100 yards, then saying, "that is good enough".. You are a member of my club, hell you may have seen one of the guys I'm talking about? I'm like you though, I've used the 338wm enough that I know it will get the job done with
less fuss...

Posting pics of a group shot with a 308 in a thread about 338’s you just can’t help yourself…….
Posted By: Sheister Re: 338 RUM - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good choice buddy. Then you have to consider weight too. When I'm elk hunting, I don't want to be packing a 13 pound 338 RUM or Lapua magnum with a muzzle brake either. I like to keep my 338wm nice and light and well balanced. I was just out shooting a very nice 338 Lapua mag the other day with my buddy. He's thinking about buying it. It is damn heavy, has a big brake on it. It shot well. Probably better than most guys I've seen at the range with their big Lapua mags. 5/8" 3 shot groups from myself and my buddy laid down a couple 1" groups. He's SWAT, so he's still learning. Ha ha. He wanted me to come out and help him decide if he really wants to buy the rifle. He likes it, but after we started shooting his Tikka 308, he started wondering why he needs the 338... He said he's not going to be shooting past 500 yards. At 400 yards, he was shooting 4" groups with the big gun. 1" groups with the Tikka.. Here's my 5 shot group from the 308, using factory ammo:

Target is chewed up looking, but his ballistic app said it was in the .1's. I told him it was closer to 1/4". Both my buddy and I were shooting 1" 3 shot groups at 400 yards with that rifle. I told him, lets work up a good load for that rifle and you can drop just about anything you want at your imposed range limit of 500 yards.. Everyone has their range stories, but it seems like most guys that I've seen shooting the tactical looking big 338's are younger inexperienced shooters. Usually shooting 3"+ groups at 100 yards, then saying, "that is good enough".. You are a member of my club, hell you may have seen one of the guys I'm talking about? I'm like you though, I've used the 338wm enough that I know it will get the job done with less fuss...

My other 338 is a Pre 64 with a custom spout cut at 22" and pushes the same load at 2650. Still just as accurate and recoil is very comparable - I assume due to fairly similar stock design and weight... I don't see anything wrong with the UM based cartridges, I just have never been much for inefficient cartridges, extra weight, and excess recoil when the rifles I have settled on get the job done so well... my 338s are loaded with approx 72 grains of H4831 compared to 95 grains in the UM cartridges typically- for about 100 fps difference...

I guess I'm in your boat BSA- as demonstrated in your post I think a lot of guys would do much better with a 308 over a big magnum just because they would shoot them much more. Not to mention the inherent accuracy of most 308s. How many times have you seen 300 and 338 UMs for sale with most of a box of ammo thrown in on the deal. I'm betting that box you get is the first box the seller ever tried in the rifle... wink
Posted By: Riflehunter Re: 338 RUM - 10/16/22
I don't want to be hauling much more than a 9 lb rifle including scope. Shooting the 225's at 2950 fps from a long-throated 25" .338 Win Mag is right on the border line of what I can shoot precisely with an imperfect field rest or off-hand in a 9lb rifle. Even using 250's at a slower speed takes me over that threshold. In the .338 RCM using 225's at 2720 fps I like an 8 lb (including scope) rifle.
© 24hourcampfire