Home
1. Factory Remington 700 with magpul stock and 22” 5r threaded heavy barrel. 6.5 Creed

2. Howa 1500 Heavy Varmint 24" Barreled Action, Oryx chassis. 6.5 creed

Both new and unfired. Both about $1000.
Any thoughts on these if I were looking for a bench rifle? Targets and varmints.

Thanks guys n gals
Anybody would be guessing on accuracy until they are shot. I would go 700 for ease of upgrades.
Out of the box? I got $10 says the Howa shoots better overall. If this was Remington of 20 years ago, that would be a different story.
My Remington .308 SPS, shoots consistently under .250, I would consider that precision. Its heavy but that was not the question.
Originally Posted by elkmen1
My Remington .308 SPS, shoots consistently under .250, I would consider that precision. Its heavy but that was not the question.

Lets face it. All of our rifles shoot under .250. For the OP, neither. I'd buy a heavy barreled Tikka. That wasn't the question either, but the best answer..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by elkmen1

Lets face it. All of our rifles shoot under .250. For the OP, neither. I'd buy a heavy barreled Tikka. That wasn't the question either, but the best answer..

I mean, you’re not wrong & make a solid suggestion
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Bater
Anybody would be guessing on accuracy until they are shot. I would go 700 for ease of upgrades.

+1
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

If you shoot a few more of those three shot groups, will they be just as small and land at the same POI?

John
My brother in law bought one of the Tikka rifles. My first experience with one. 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with four different brands of 6.5 creedmoor. I hand loaded some and got it down to around an inch.
Point being every rifle is different. Either one could be excellent. Edk
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

If you shoot a few more of those three shot groups, will they be just as small and land at the same POI?

John

The rifle has been amazingly consistent. Factory gun I put into a good stock. One of the most accurate rifles I own.

Got lucky I guess!

Oh, a Leupold scope is on it too so, yes on POI. These pic’s aren’t illustrating POI, just shot groups.

Here’s a cold bore zero check after the rifle was sighted in, dialed repeatedly out to 1000, returned to zero and put in the safe for a month before a hunt

Originally Posted by ERK
My brother in law bought one of the Tikka rifles. My first experience with one. 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with four different brands of 6.5 creedmoor. I hand loaded some and got it down to around an inch.

Same thing with Howa. A buddy bought one in .300PRC

3” groups with all factory ammo available. And the guarantee is MOA or less

You’re rolling the dice by buying a factory rifle
Originally Posted by ERK

Tikka has a MOA guarantee. My buddy had the same results until he tossed the Leupold in the trash and put on a real scope. Then it shot .5".
The Howa comes with a 1” guarantee as well -Attached.

That said my Howa 25-06 struggles to do that well with almost anything I’ve loaded yet & 3 scopes so no real way to be sure.

https://www.howausa.com/sub_moa/
Originally Posted by specneeds
The Howa comes with a 1” guarantee as well -Attached.

That said my Howa 25-06 struggles to do that well with almost anything I’ve loaded yet & 3 scopes so no real way to be sure.

https://www.howausa.com/sub_moa/
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

John

You think those 3 shots won't get it done?

Flamesuit on eek
Hey dogcatcher223

Which reticles are you using?
That group will get it done. But it doesn’t predict other rifles well.

My 46 year old $179 Ruger Tang safety did about 1/2 that size group sighting in this year before deer season and not for the first time so 7 mags are about my favorite for animals smaller than elk. But that is an exceptional individual rifle.

An ugly Remington 700 22-250 SPS heavy barrel with a little trigger work will put 10 shots in a quarter sized group again just performance of an individual rifle. I teach young women to shoot with that one & they get hooked blowing up little water bottles at 100 yards.
Originally Posted by specneeds
That group will get it done. But it doesn’t predict other rifles well.

My 46 year old $179 Ruger Tang safety did about 1/2 that size group sighting in this year before deer season and not for the first time so 7 mags are about my favorite for animals smaller than elk. But that is an exceptional individual rifle.

An ugly Remington 700 22-250 SPS heavy barrel with a little trigger work will put 10 shots in a quarter sized group again just performance of an individual rifle. I teach young women to shoot with that one & they get hooked blowing up little water bottles at 100 yards.

1/2 that size group would be .1285" - which is less than the diameter of the bullet.

Which means you put all three shots perfectly in the same place?

Call me skeptical.

GB
Hey dogcatcher223

On what scope?
The OP's question was about comparing a Remington 700 and a Howa 1500, both in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have both a 700 and a 1500 in 6.5 CM, though mine are in sporter stocks, not in what the OP was asking about. Both of mine shoot equally well. The 700 is a heavy 20 in barrel, and the Howa a #2 contour. I've also had 2 other 6.5's in the 700, as well as another one in the Howa. Again, they all shoot very well. I honestly would not be not afraid of either of them.
I’ll be happy to email you a photo if you like but never have had much luck posting photos here. The three shots are easily covered be a dime and appear to be a single hole. It’s the 4th time in 40 years it’s done that. In fairness it has been bedded and trigger done prior to 3 of those single hole groups.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Hey dogcatcher223

On what scope?

Your favorite hunting rig
Originally Posted by ERK

Tikka has a MOA guarantee. My buddy had the same results until he tossed the Leupold in the trash and put on a real scope. Then it shot .5".

My very first CF rifle that I ever owned was a Sako L579 that my Dad gave me for my Birthday decades ago....
been a fan ever since....until my last Tikka. A 22-250 that is a 3" rifle..........had nothing to do with having a Leupold scope on it as I tried 3 different scopes on it with the same result........
Apparently Cumcatcher had one of the infamous Leupold's we hear so much about on the Fire instead of a Tikka that has a MOA guarantee that is absolutely meaningless
Hey dogcatcher223

On what scope?

Your favorite hunting rig
I have 700 5R’s in 223 and 308. I know that’s not 6.5 but they are both supremely accurate rifles and I wouldn’t hesitate to go that route if I were you..
© 24hourcampfire