Home
Posted By: leftycarbon Range Card - 04/04/22
What's the best way to attach wind/hold over data to your rile or scope

Mine wont fit on scope and some super sticky paint messed up a stock when I removed it.

Thanks,

Lefty
Posted By: yobuck Re: Range Card - 04/04/22
Tape it onto a plastic ammo box.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Range Card - 04/05/22
Laminate it (or use clear tape on both sides) to make sure it's rain proof. After that I tape it to the stock.....but I'm using synthetic stocks and don't care if they get tape residue on them.

I have considered making a wrist sleeve or sling wrap out of a QB's play card holder but taping to the stock is the easy way for me. Something like this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/WristCoaches...&hvtargid=pla-524949881240&psc=1
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Range Card - 04/05/22
I use heavy plastic tape to laminate the cards. Tape one on the chest side of my Leica rangefinder binoculars which I wear when hunting. Keep an additional card in pack. Also have a photograph in the phone.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Range Card - 04/05/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Laminate it (or use clear tape on both sides) to make sure it's rain proof. After that I tape it to the stock.....but I'm using synthetic stocks and don't care if they get tape residue on them.

I have considered making a wrist sleeve or sling wrap out of a QB's play card holder but taping to the stock is the easy way for me. Something like this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/WristCoaches...&hvtargid=pla-524949881240&psc=1

That link was to kids. Thinking about it, there may be a size big enough to slip over some stocks.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Range Card - 04/05/22
I just tape it, with clear tape, to the buttstock. If you're worried about the finish, laminate it (clear tape will work for this) then super glue it to one of those elastic cartridge holders with that sleeve on the buttstock.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Range Card - 04/05/22
I use a Rite In the Rain grid page w/ their pen and tape it to the stock w/ packing tape. This has lasted > more than a year including a lot of winter/snow use.

mike r
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Range Card - 04/05/22
Good ideas all.

Thanx

Lefty
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Range Card - 04/05/22
Clear packing tape.
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Range Card - 04/05/22
When hunting I have a laminated card that fits into a sleeve on my sling.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Range Card - 04/06/22
this works for me.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Range Card - 04/06/22
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
this works for me.

Similar to what I do. I use a 3x5 card, tape each side then tape it to the stock.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Range Card - 04/06/22
Have used both Sidewinder and Python for years

https://www.shortactionprecision.com/products/sidewinder-dope-card-holder
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Range Card - 04/07/22
I saw these but price is stupid high. I just print and laminate and tape. Easy enough.

https://kentonindustries.com/produc...edium=email&utm_source=shopify_email
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Range Card - 04/14/22
3 X 5 card, clear tape, on the inside of my bino, chest harness cover,
Posted By: Namekagon Re: Range Card - 04/17/22
I have a product called a "dope thing" from Tab gear. It mounts to your rifle sling and comes with cards you can write dope on. I actually print my dope with the computer and tape it to the cards. This holds the dope in a good place for viewing when you are prone without coming off the rifle, as opposed to dope taped to the side of the stock. The other nice thing about this system is I can use different cards for different DA's. Easy to swap out based on conditions.

https://www.tabgear.com/collections/sling-parts/products/dope-thing

Edit: I do not mount the holder where TAB shows in their pictures. I mount it closer to the middle of the sling. That way its not on my shoulder when the rifle is slung, and i can grab it and look at the data with my left hand when I'm prone without coming off the gun.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Range Card - 04/18/22
Inside the ocular flip cap. 300-1K in 50yd increments. Tape it in w/clear packing tape. Trim it w/exacto knife.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Range Card - 04/18/22
Or, for $30 or so, have a turret that exactly matches your load in your increments out to your max stated range.

The problem with dope cards (and with this) is it's only really correct for the conditions you enter when you make the card or turret tape.

For most of my hunting the differences were conversational between altitude, temp, moisture, etc. when I made the dope to send to these guys and the conditions when and where I hunt.

https://customturretsystems.com/

There's a lot to be said for keep it simple.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Range Card - 05/10/22
Anyone here use the "Shooter" app on your phone? I used to be able to email myself from the Shooter app, or someone else, a drop chart which they would then be opened in Excel and printed off. My Shooter quit doing that a few years back. I've messaged the Shooter guy several times with zero response nor a fixed Shooter app.

Alan
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Range Card - 05/11/22
Just screen shot the chart then print it from your photo
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Range Card - 05/11/22
Here is a printed range drop that I laminated in packing tape, and just slide it under the ammo cuff.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here I put riggers tape on the stock, and wrote the info with a sharpie. It looks upside down but that is so I can tilt the rifle and read it right side up.
Posted By: JPro Re: Range Card - 05/11/22
If I need one, I will generally laminate it with clear Gorilla tape and then affix to the stock with the same. If I want more data, I save the JBM chart in my phone to have on standby.

Old pic, but same concept applies.

Posted By: MtnGadabout Re: Range Card - 10/12/22
I made my own dope disk to fit inside the rear scope cap this year. On rifles with see-thru scope caps, I'm back to the tried and true card taped to the off-side of the action, so the butt never leaves your shoulder.
Posted By: hillbillyjake Re: Range Card - 10/13/22
How are your yardage intervals laid out? I know that this is cartridge/species/weather specific.

Say a 150 grain 308 for whitetail? Thanks.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Range Card - 10/13/22
Print, laminate, punch a hole on the upper right corner and then zip tie to your furthest scope ring.
Posted By: Darryle Re: Range Card - 10/13/22
You can lay them out however you want, most use 50yds out to their maximum comfort range, other use 100yds and do the math for the distance between, I use 50yds to 500yds.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Range Card - 11/12/22
I use 50yd increments taped to the side of my stock.
Don't over complicate the [bleep].
Posted By: hillbillyjake Re: Range Card - 11/13/22
Thanks guys.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Range Card - 11/15/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Here is a printed range drop that I laminated in packing tape, and just slide it under the ammo cuff.

Here I put riggers tape on the stock, and wrote the info with a sharpie. It looks upside down but that is so I can tilt the rifle and read it right side up.

Go simple like said above. Sharpie and Riggers tape just works. Good luck Sir

Shane, I see you're still humping an old pack frame for a PRC. Love it! Heading to WV to hunt with Heller next week.
© 24hourcampfire