Home
I’m curious if anyone uses 160 class bullets with theirs?
Powder choice?
Barrel length?
I shot a 300 SAUM in competition for a number of years. In the 1000 yard silhouette game.
A 1-11 twisted Boots Obermeyer barrel. Finished at 28 inches.
60 to 60.5 of Ramshot Hunter with
210g Berger LRBT served me well.

Figure 2800 fps ..

Dave
Dave,
I appreciate the info!
I used my Rem m7 .300 Shamwow this year and took a buck using 200gn. NPT at 125yds, bullet hit r front shoulder exited l back rib, and probably still going, lol. I had started the season with an Aught 6, but my knot slipped while lowering it out of stand close to 10' above ground, so I didn't trust using until verified. My .300saum was my backup gun. The load was 59.5 of H4350 at 2725fps. While I do like the cartridge I have no long distance trials. The M7 is sub-moa with every bullet tried, 130-200gr.
Not the SAUM, but have used the 300 WSM, 7 RSAUM, and the 7 WSM. Used the 168 TTSX in the 300 WSM for elk and it worked very well on 2 bulls. One at 150, and one at 600. The 7’s I used 140 AB’s and 150 Gamechangers on deer sized game. I think I used Norma MRP in the 300 and 23” bbl.
I'll be testing one shortly-- I have a Gen1 300saum Ti that I recently acquired- going to run some factory Nosler 165gr Partitions through it first and then load up some 180gr Hammer Hunters.
Gen 1 with 155 Scenars and R17. Thank me later
What chronograph MV changes have you found with RL17 with big temp changes?
Say from 85 degrees down to below 0?
Mine will be for hunting primarily elk in Wyoming.
E
RL17, like RL22 and 19 showed horrible temp stability in my 270WSM. Like 80fps swing from 30F to 65F, I'd personally never touch it for a serious western hunting load.
Yes, in a 22" Model Seven w/ Rel 17 & Barnes 175 LRX @2950+/-. Worked well
enough to get me a 8x7, 585 lb Tule Elk @ ~250 yd. But not a MOA accuracy rifle and very stout recoil from the bench. What would I expect from an 8 lb rifle? smile Mark& Belle
165 gr is my personal favorite. I would have to say my Rem M7 in 300 saum is my most accurate rifle.
Originally Posted by Fuelman
.300 Shamwow .

Is it the Shamu or Shamwow? I don't have my Sticktionary handy . . .
Loving It! smile
I shoot 165/168's out of mine. IMR4350 with 165NPT and BT, Varget with 168ttsx.
I look forward to trying my new one out. Longrange? Maybe fling some 200gr SMK's I have laying around?
I shot the 165 SST and Nosler BTs in a Model 7 SAUM with 22" barrel. Plenty of rifle and more for whitetails I used it on. Very accurate. I don't recall the velocity. It was the synthetic stainless version and did have fairly sharp recoil with stout reloads. I did carry it elk hunting once with little doubt it would do the job, but opportunity never came.
I've just built a 300 SAUM with a 1:9 Bartlein CF cut at 24in.

For normal deer work, I'm working up a load for the 168gn Nosler Accubond Long Range (ABLR) and seem to be getting an honest 3030fps with H4350 loaded 60 thou off. Three shots into 1/2in at 100 seems repeatable if I do my thing. Stock is a Manners MCS-SL with heavy fill, scope a Zeiss 2-10 which will be replaced by a Swaro z6 2.5-15x44 when it arrives.

For larger deer, I'm going to use the Federal Edge TLR which I seem to be able to get 3/4in at 2940fps without trying real hard.

Attached picture 300 SAUM VSM.jpg
Attached picture 300 SAUM Weight VSM.jpg
Attached picture 300 SAUM 7Jul2022 638 VSM.jpg
Nice looking rig there. The 700SS I had in 300SAUM is one of those that I should have kept. Basically a 30-06AI in a factory short action.
If I had accubonds shooting that well .
I would not mess with it.
The 🦌 will never know....

Dave
Originally Posted by Adamjp
I've just built a 300 SAUM with a 1:9 Bartlein CF cut at 24in.

For normal deer work, I'm working up a load for the 168gn Nosler Accubond Long Range (ABLR) and seem to be getting an honest 3030fps with H4350 loaded 60 thou off. Three shots into 1/2in at 100 seems repeatable if I do my thing. Stock is a Manners MCS-SL with heavy fill, scope a Zeiss 2-10 which will be replaced by a Swaro z6 2.5-15x44 when it arrives.

For larger deer, I'm going to use the Federal Edge TLR which I seem to be able to get 3/4in at 2940fps without trying real hard.

Very nice. No need to be switching bullets there. That accubomb will kill any kind of deer walking this earth.. Big, small, red or brown.. The way some guys play musical bullets here is quite comical at times... Find a good one that works well and stick with it..
168 TTSX with Varget, hesitant to quote the data as I don’t have it here but I am getting 2900 FPS in my model 7 and five shots in a 3/4 inch it is a published load
I'm really liking mine. I realize this is the "long range" forum, but I'll share what I have so far with my new to me rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It flings the 165 TTSX pretty well:

It's a puzzy cat to shoot. About like a 30-06.. Rifle as shown, a hair over 8 pounds.. Its quite enjoyable to shoot actually.
My Ti like's Hornady 150's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A hunting buddy shoots one, Remington Stainless. He killed a mule deer in Colorado last year at 240 yards, 185 Barnes LRX went right thru the heart and came out high on the shoulder (shot was uphill). Buck took 2 steps and tumbled down the hill. It was quite interesting to watch.

Rifle groups real good.
Originally Posted by sqweeler
My Ti like's Hornady 150's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice rifle. I'd have the Leupold on the table and the Swaro mounted though.
O.K. smile [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by sqweeler
O.K. smile [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ha ha.. I knew what you were up to..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very nice. No need to be switching bullets there. That accubomb will kill any kind of deer walking this earth.. Big, small, red or brown.. The way some guys play musical bullets here is quite comical at times... Find a good one that works well and stick with it..
Based on my experience with the ABLR in 6.5 and 7mm calibers, I have concerns about the ABLR being tough enough for Elk sized deer.

The EDGE TLR (or Terminal Ascent) are quite a bit tougher.
My Model 7 in 300 always liked 165 gr. Yet to find the same accuracy out of the 7mm saum...
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Based on my experience with the ABLR in 6.5 and 7mm calibers, I have concerns about the ABLR being tough enough for Elk sized deer.

The EDGE TLR (or Terminal Ascent) are quite a bit tougher.

Adam, I hope you find a great bullet for your rifle. My elk hunting partner is going to have to hunt elk without me this year, but if I were going, I'd grab my 300RSAUM and use the 165 TTSX I've been shooting out of it. I checked the pics I posted and didn't see these ones:
58gr Big Game, shot during load development^^^^(.725 MOA)

59gr ^^^^^(.652 MOA)

I settled on 60 grains of Big Game, as I was getting sub 2.5" groups at 400 yards and sub 3/4 moa at 100 yards. That is the load that runs 3,031 fps avg.

..........Probably because they are not spectacular for 400 yards, and this is the "long range" forum, but it is what it is. What I am seeing is these Barnes cut through the wind very well. I know we all love high BC, but if a bullet is dead nuts reliable in all conditions that is a good one. I'll take consistent real world results vs. high bc every time. I'm running 3,031 fps avg with that bullet and this little rifle. I realize that is over book max, but am not getting any pressure signs at all. Not the same as my 300WSM's I've had over the years. Those sob's would tell you when they were approaching pressure, with a heavy bolt lift. Not this rifle. It runs well.
For myself, when using Barnes, I will use the LRX line-Nothing wrong with the TTSX though.
I have used the 6.5 ABLR for mule deer and whitetail, and the bullet worked great, and then I had friends who borrowed a rifle of mine in 6.5 Creed and killed his elk with it, with no problem.
I did use the 275 grain ABLR for a big stag at 624 yards-one and done.
I do understand they are smaller than elk.
One of the few times I have used a rifle, but you can't hunt with a handgun in New Zealand.

After a little trial and error I found a load the 300 likes.

Now I just have to find more bullets.

I cannot make the image small enough to actually attach here - the picture size has to be under 97kb (thumbnail size) and it just looks terrible.

Short version 3 shots, 100m, 0.134MOA. Velocity 3034fps, ES 20.45, SD 9.01. 168gn ABLR seated 60 thou off over a stiff, but under max, load of H4350.
Superb!
Ernie,

Yes, there are some nice Reds in the hills of NZ. Even public land hunts are worthy there.

The difficult to kill deer are the Asian Sambar. Next in size down from Elk, they have thicker skin and heavier bones as befits an animal which is prey for tigers. A mature Sambar stag is larger than a cow Elk, but obviously smaller than an equivalent age bull Elk. Apart from wild populations in the Indian sub-continent, there are wild populations in North Island NZ and southern Australia with a small population in the very north of Australia too.
That is cool to know-Thanks!
Originally Posted by xphunter
For myself, when using Barnes, I will use the LRX line-Nothing wrong with the TTSX though.
I have used the 6.5 ABLR for mule deer and whitetail, and the bullet worked great, and then I had friends who borrowed a rifle of mine in 6.5 Creed and killed his elk with it, with no problem.
I did use the 275 grain ABLR for a big stag at 624 yards-one and done.
I do understand they are smaller than elk.
One of the few times I have used a rifle, but you can't hunt with a handgun in New Zealand.

Nice bull and rifle. Looks like a 338 Lapua..
Yep-You are correct.
165 Nosler Ballistic Tips out of mine.

Cannot comment on long range, though.

The year I carried it, I shot an antelope at about 150 and then 2 elk under 50.

Reloading gear was packed up for a move and so I haven’t used it since.
Is this something new? I killed an elk in 2007 with a Barnes 168 TSX (before TTSX was available), AA2700, around 3100 fps at 10K elevation. My rig is a M700 24" barrel bedded in a Rem synth stock, around 7.5-8 lbs w/o ammo. Somewhat customized--fluted barrel, .25" barrel tang, my trigger work. Shoots this stuff at an inch at 300 yards w/ no wind. I would go with RL16 and the TTSX at this point if I had to go next year, assuming it was all available.
Powder choice?
Barrel length?

You gonna build a 300 RSAUM XP?

I plan to build one each XP’s in 7 RSAUM & 300 RSAUM……..soon.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Powder choice?
Barrel length?

You gonna build a 300 RSAUM XP?

I plan to build one each XP’s in 7 RSAUM & 300 RSAUM……..soon.

Yes-300 SAUM

Post pictures when you get your 7mm in 300 built
my 700 titanium shoots great. every powder i have tried has been awesome. h-4350, varget , h4831sc, re-26( if i could get it)
© 24hourcampfire