Home
I am currently building a 1974 remington 700bdl chambered in 7mm. Everyone says used 160gr accubond but they are absolutely no where to be found. I currently have 50 projectiles. So with that being said what's the next best thing not wanting to go over 160gr this is first and foremost a hunting rifle any help would be greatly appreciated...
I put a lot of animals in the dirt with Nosler Partition 175 grain bullets.
The 160 grain Nosler A/B is a great bullet, I like it very much. Easy to work with, works well on game.

I seen some last week for sale. Keep doing your homework, searching the retailers on the web.

Wishing y'all the best.
Try Federal 160g trophy bonded tip. Pretty similar performance.
150 Swift Scirocco
160 Partition
139, 140, 145, 150 Barnes TTSX LRX’s
Hammers

I like the 160 Accubonds myself but I wouldn’t lose sleep if I couldn’t find them. Lotsa others out there that’ll fill in easily.
When I’m out of 160gr NABs for my 7mmRM rifle, I’ll likely move to the LRX, TTSX, or the new Hornady version. Standard cup/cores in 284 are fine for deer, but can be a bit destructive at 3000+. If going that route, I’d try the 162 SST or Interlock.
I came to love the 160 grain Partition in my two 7 Mags.
But I doubt you can find those either.
I'm not a pessimist; but, it seems that .284 bullets are the lowest priority of any bullet manufacturers at this time as they try to come back online with what resources are available. The 160 Accubonds, along with many others, will eventually find the way back to we end users. I think the best advice I can give you is to find whatever bullet you can that is available in the quantity you need or desire and nab them. Then, get picky when they all come available again. The alternative is to pay the premium demanded by those who have them and sell them at gun shows or on gunbroker. Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Good luck with your new rifle.
For deer and Axis sized game here in Texas the 140 gr. Ballistic Tip is a hammer. Performs way above what you'd expect of a polymer tipped bullet of other makers at 3000 fps +.

Hope this helps.

BBQ
I'd have to give the 150gr Scenar and Ballistic Tips a try if trying to stay under 160gr.

No personal experience, just making that comment on reputation alone.
Sierra Tipped Gameking 165gr and Hornady Interbond 154gr have both worked well for me. Nosler’s (of any calibre) have become extinct here in South Africa…
I've shot a lot of 160 accubonds but when I went after elk I used the 145 LRX. I don't know if they're available or not but they're more bullet than the 160 accubond and I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Both my elk fell to them.
155 or 169 grain Hammer Hunter
with a 9T the 143 grain Hammer Hunter
Shooters Pro Shop had some grade C red tipped made for Winchester 160gr Accubonds the last couple of weeks.Besides the 160gr Accubond,I really like the 150gr Ballistic Tip.I get just a little bigger wound channel than the Accubond and every one has exited.Those also have been hard to find lately too.6.5 and now 270 has been taking over bullet manufacturing lately,so the 7mm and even 308 bullets have been kind of limited.
Originally Posted by NorthGA1982
I am currently building a 1974 remington 700bdl chambered in 7mm. Everyone says used 160gr accubond but they are absolutely no where to be found. I currently have 50 projectiles. So with that being said what's the next best thing not wanting to go over 160gr this is first and foremost a hunting rifle any help would be greatly appreciated...

For Georgia-sized animals I've consistently found that the 120gr 7mm bullets kill faster than all the heavier weight bullets do. They also kill larger animals well. They are much shockier than the heavier bullets and stuff tends to fall over quicker.

For elk sized animals all the bullets that beretzs mentioned are good.
So with that being said what's the next best thing not wanting to go over 160gr this is first and foremost a hunting rifle any help would be greatly appreciated...

Probably should ask this question with those bullet limitations on the regular reloading forum, not the long range forum. There isn’t a bullet in .284 at or under 160 grains that I would consider for long range shooting or hunting
160 grain ballistic tip is pretty good.

Its a "hunting rifle", use a 162 Hornady btsp interlock.
I love to discuss and debate the best bullet for general-purpose hunting, but almost any name brand big game bullet will do in the real world.
the 160 accubond is a good bullet for 7 rem mag, but I prefer the 150 Scirocco.
Originally Posted by super T
I love to discuss and debate the best bullet for general-purpose hunting, but almost any name brand big game bullet will do in the real world.

Exactly
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Exactly

Yep, most will work great out to say, 300

This is the long range forum, and the 160 Accubond has a pathetic .531 BC
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Exactly

Only 8.5 mils up at 1000.
Originally Posted by szihn
I came to love the 160 grain Partition in my two 7 Mags.

Same here, but in my two 7 STW's.

Tony
Originally Posted by beretzs
150 Swift Scirocco
160 Partition
Hammers

I like the 160 Accubonds myself but I wouldn’t lose sleep if I couldn’t find them. Lotsa others out there that’ll fill in easily.

I was going to say reach your way for 7mm reccs…then I saw you’d already answered.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
150 Swift Scirocco
160 Partition
Hammers

I was going to say reach your way for 7mm reccs…then I saw you’d already answered.

There’s a lot of good 7mm bullets out there. Honestly I forgot about the 150 and 180 Scenars which I haven’t taken game with but have with a few other models and they’ve worked great.

Hornadys 175 ELD would be fine too. I just can’t tie myself to thinking anything is that much better than about 10 others, unless we’re talking Bitterroots, then all the rest suck grin
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Exactly

Yeah, 300 shooting off hand. The lowly 162 btsp has a bc of .514, however I have made some pretty far shots with it. The furthest was actually a 1 shot kill at 700 yards.. Like 79s said, only "8.5 mils" up. In my case that day, it was like 12.2 moa up, but same difference. Dead buck with a bullet hole through the heart. This chidt really isn't that hard..
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
For deer and Axis sized game here in Texas the 140 gr. Ballistic Tip is a hammer. Performs way above what you'd expect of a polymer tipped bullet of other makers at 3000 fps +.

Hope this helps.

BBQ

Been using them and partitions for 45 years, never a problem!
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
150 Swift Scirocco
160 Partition
Hammers

There’s a lot of good 7mm bullets out there. Honestly I forgot about the 150 and 180 Scenars which I haven’t taken game with but have with a few other models and they’ve worked great.

Hornadys 175 ELD would be fine too. I just can’t tie myself to thinking anything is that much better than about 10 others, unless we’re talking Bitterroots, then all the rest suck grin

With 7mm projectiles being hard to come by these days, I've noticed the 150 Scenar seems to be more available than a lot of others and are currently in-stock at a couple of places I order from regularily. I've been shooting the 180 Scenar in a 7mm SAUM and just got a couple boxes of the 150's to try in some lower velocity 7mm's. I wonder how the 150's would perform at 7 mag velocities - might be a good option? I wouldn't hesitate to give Hammer bullets a try - I've just started experimenting with them and hear good things. More importantly, they're readily available, though expensive...
I know there is a fella on here, Hiaring or something similar that ran them for a season from a 7 Rem Mag and had nothing but great stuff to say about the 150 Scenars. I know the 180 version shoots like crazy in my Mashburn and I believe Dober ran some 150's in his Mashburn a bit as well.

Agree on Hammers, so far they are really easy to get shooting.
Yep Big B, when my 160 ab's are gone it'll be 177gr Hammers at 3000 fps from my 8 twist 7 Super Masher for the win.
162 Eldx does the job for us.

Love the good ol' 7mm Remington Magnum! I've taken elk, mule deer & pronghorn with mine. Also saw a Brooks Range grizzly brought down with one shot from a 7mm Rem Mag using the 140 grain Barnes TSX! And a black bear dropped at 500 ish yards with that same bullet.

I ran into kind of a sleeper of a bullet a couple of years ago, the plain-Jane 160 grain Sierra Gameking SPBT. Loaded it up to max with Reloader 22, saw over 3000 fps and really sweet accuracy, like 1.5" groups at 300 yards. I was going to hunt with 160 gr Nosler Partitions, but... these grouped so well, and I was only hunting mule deer & pronghorn antelope that season. Boom, one shot at about 150 yards and the fat young muley buck fell. Shot was a bit far back. My fault. The recovered bullet looked amazing! Found it in the off-side hide. I was impressed with the quick kill and the classic mushroom:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That said I like a lot of bullets from 140 - 175 grains from the 7mm Remington Magnum. The 175 Nosler Partition blew right through, leaving a big dead bull elk behind...

Pick your powders carefully. I've been quite impressed with IMR 8133 of late, Reloader 22 before that.

Regards, Guy
That’s a sleeper of a bullet Guy. Couldn’t ask for much more of a great deer bullet.
Sierra made a run of 7mm 150 TGK's. I've seen them for sale on multiple sites of late.

ZERO experience with them, but currently available.
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the 168 Berger. That is THE bullet to shoot in the 7 rem in my book.
The old speer 160g hotcor, the flat base not boat tailed one, works well too. It's kind of a sleeper bullet too. I have a few thousand I bought on sale just to keep around for a back or or for cheap friends and family. I load the 150g 270 flat base hotcore for a few friends too. They swear by them and have me load them another 100 rounds every 5 years or so.

One friend I build a cheap 270 for with an Alaskan ti take off I put on an sps action for him. He wanted a 270 because he could get cheap factory ammo but now he'll only shoot 150 hotcors over 59g of imr7828. My old standby for 270 friends and family. Tightwad get hot cors others get 150 partitions.

Bb
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Yessir, that's a great bullet too.
Just to pass on a friend's experience - several years ago he did a plains game hunt in Africa and used the outfitter's 7x64 Brenneke. He said the rifle was shooting the "plain ole" 162gr. Hornady BTSP and he couldn't help but take note on how spectacularly that bullet performed on everything he shot - the biggest being a kudu.
Any of the bullets listed above will work fine for Gordon county bucks. Truth be told, I’d be tempted to try the 120 grain ballistic tips there. Tough tough little bullet.
Other than the 160gr Accubond I have used the 160gr Nosler Partition for Elk. Worked just as good as the Accubond. 2 years ago on my Moose hunt

In Alberta Canada I used the 160gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped. Bullet double lunged moose and keep going. 160gr Nosler Partition bullet was found under skin next to Trophy Bonded Tipped.

Hunting partner had fired the 160gr Nosler Partition from a factory load. Mine was a hand load with H1000 at 3050FPS.
Hammer bullets in light for caliber weights are far superior to any lead projectile bonded or not. Driven fast they work like a bolt of lightning.
The OP never stated the intended use. The average hunter virtually never needs to shoot past 300, or 400 yards, so many bullets will work just fine. For deer-sized game, the 139 Interlock is great. I like the 160 Partition for elk and the 175 Interlock is also good. The way it is now, you had better be willing to shoot what you can find. The ELDX and ELDM are both decent for shooting distance, too.
Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped, or good old Nosler Partition. Both have worked for me.
I have had excellent results with the 150 gr Barnes TTSX as have several of my hunting buds. I’m currently experimenting with 139 gr and 145 gr LRX in a 7x57. The Federal Terminal Ascent looks like a good option, too. YMMV
Originally Posted by WAM
I have had excellent results with the 150 gr Barnes TTSX as have several of my hunting buds. I’m currently experimenting with 139 gr and 145 gr LRX in a 7x57. The Federal Terminal Ascent looks like a good option, too. YMMV

They keep rumoring a 175 TA 7mm.. That'd be a helluva bullet in my Mashburn.
Federal could sell more components if they gave a [bleep] about ever having any avaliable. They dont.
I know the OP wanted under 160, but, I've run the Nosler 168 gr LRAB in my 7 Rem mag since they came out. Using H1000 I run them at 3025 fps.

After 10 or so elk, I think they are a bit soft for my taste on elk and I went back to partitions for them. The 168 LRAB are a pretty darn good mule deer and whitetail bullet though.

Regards,
Manny
My rifle didn’t like 160AB’s but shoots the 150 TTSX very well and in terms of performance on game the Barnes is much better if bones are encountered. It will break a shoulder bone on the way in & keep going.
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
Try Federal 160g trophy bonded tip. Pretty similar performance.

Those are very hard to find, but a pretty sweet bullet:
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

That's a beautiful bullet as well and very easy to get to shoot well. I'd pick that over the accubomb if I had the 2 to pick from.. Hell, there are so many good bullets out there to chose from. 140 TTSX, 145 LRX to also name a couple good ones..
160 patlrtition would be next
162 Eldx or 165 TGK?
160 AB and 160 Partitions are plentiful if you know where to look.

P
150 ballistic tip. 162 eldx.
If you're interested in a full 50 ct. box of 160 Partitions and a full 50 ct. box of 150 gr. Ballistic Tips to use for load testing, I've got one of each that I need to sell. PM me if interested.
Originally Posted by 2five7
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the 168 Berger. That is THE bullet to shoot in the 7 rem in my book.

I would read your book as you are correct on this issue.

I have used the 180 gr VLD a bunch but for the 7mm Rem Mag I think the 168 might be the ever so slightly better choice.
Naw, the 180s are better
tag
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Naw, the 180s are better

Yessir. Those are bad to the bone.

They kill stuff dead.
Shooters Pro Shop had 160 GR and 140 GR Nosler Accubonds in stock today seconds.
Originally Posted by xphunter
with a 9T the 143 grain Hammer Hunter
Expensive but they always seem to have them in stock.

Accuracy and terminal performance are outstanding.

DF
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Shooters Pro Shop had 160 GR and 140 GR Nosler Accubonds in stock today seconds.
Grab’em when they got’em.

DF
I’ve shot game with 7 mags and 280ackley with 140TTSX, 150TTSX, 160 partitions and 150BT’s. They all worked well as long as I hit the game where I was supposed to. I’d hunt game up to elk with any of them and not think twice about it. Can’t say I ever recovered any of them from game as all shot clear through.
+1 for the 154 Interbond
Hard to believe what these just sold for!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/981765977
I too am getting back into the 7mm Rem Mag game, 700KS 1:9.25 with a 24" factory barrel. I'd like to try the 160gr Accubonds, but not for that.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I too am getting back into the 7mm Rem Mag game, 700KS 1:9.25 with a 24" factory barrel. I'd like to try the 160gr Accubonds, but not for that.

Dean, there are so many great bullets out there in that weight class there is no way I'd dock my boat on that bullet for what it costs these days. I think they are great hunting bullets, but they aren't a lick better than 10 others that are available for way less money in my opinion.
Completely agree...

Why I'm following this thread and appreciate the information being shared.
145 LRX 150 TTSX

They shoot great!

Shot a 168 berger in a 7 rum at quite a bit of stuff in front of re-25. Never lost an animal and it blew big ol holes through deer. The 150 interlock did better in my opinion. Same results, less runners when shot behind the shoulder. If I had to go with a bullet for a 7mag I'm trying that 168 vld, 162 eldx, and then the interlock. Shoot 2 or 3 deer with each and then decide. Kinda what I do with all my rifles.
180 grain Barnes
Y’all are way overthinking this for North GA whitetails. I lived right “next door” to the OP. A big buck up there might will dress out at 125 for the most part…or smaller.

Ballistic Tip, Corelokt, SST, etc will kill the biggest buck that ever walked up there. Actually, no real need to 7mag calibers if you study it carefully. But when I lived up there, there were plenty of em….300 mags too. No idea why.

I’ll assume the OP will be traveling to KS or something along those lines. Hence, him wanting to build a 7mm.
Originally Posted by TX35W

For Georgia-sized animals I've consistently found that the 120gr 7mm bullets kill faster than all the heavier weight bullets do. They also kill larger animals well. They are much shockier than the heavier bullets and stuff tends to fall over quicker.

For elk sized animals all the bullets that beretzs mentioned are good.
Of coarse many things have changed in recent years, and im not sure that i fully understand why that is in some areas.
Many years ago when i was younger there were far fewer bullet makers, and much less confusion about what to use.
Yet very few of the animals shot didnt die, and by and large they died very quickly.
The old rule was that the faster a bullet shed its velocity, the faster it killed.
Which means that light fast traveling bullets kill quicker than the heavier slower ones.
But then we can get into arguments over things like meat damage also.
Ive been using 162 grain match grade bullets in my large case 7 mms for more than fifty years.
I still have a stash of about 800 of them, enough for my great grandkids for their lifetime as well.
You asked for second choice behind a 160 gr AB.
[Linked Image from press.hornady.com]

The Hornady 162 gr btsp was my first choice until Nosler released the AB. I loaded it to 3200 fps in the 7mm STW, and killed two bull elk, each at 400 yds.

I do have a bunch of 160 AB loaded up. But am also still setting on a few 162 Hornady and 160 Sierras.
If targets are limited to deer, there are bunches of applicable 140 gr to 150 gr bullets all over the 'net.

I am working on a 7 RM in a Win 70 pf for my son right now. I found 150 gr poly tipped boat tails at Midway as seconds for a decent price. Bought 300, loaded the first hundred over H 4831. Going to shoot it this weekend.

I also have a couple 7-08 rifles in the corner. I am loading 140s for them. I was shopping Graf's this morning. They are well stocked with many makes and weights.
Shooter’s Pro Shop has 160 gr BT Hunting in stock…
Barnes 140 or 150 gr ttsx work really well in most .284. General rule with Barnes is to drop 10-20 grains in bullet weight and enjoy the extra fps. I switched from 160 AB and PT to 150 ttsx at just under 3100 fps over RL22 and the results are really, really good. Much less prone to fragmenting with the majority being complete passthroughs. The bullets that hit bone still do devastating damage.

At the range I've seen zero difference in accuracy between the ttsx and accubonds. Same groups with 2 different 7rm rifles. Availability is good and price won't cause heart palpitations. Very commonly used here for open prairie game i.e. antelope, mule deer and elk plus big whitetails, elk, moose, and bear in the bush.

In the end its what your rifle shoots best.

You are a world-class blow hard pufta, have fun playing romper room with your buddies at Alberta Outdoorsman.
I’m kind of partial to the 180 Scenar! Super accurate and kills exceptionally well.

Roy
Interlock or a 168 berger. Don't get fancy with a hunting gun man. Get it rolling 1/2 minute and plow stuff with it.
After reading this thread, I have an ample supply of alternate bullets to the .284" 160gr AB! Thank you for this post!
© 24hourcampfire