Home
Posted By: rcamuglia Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
The thread asking folks the range most of their animals are taken is interesting. Of those posting, just a couple have actually killed an animal with a rifle at longer ranges. Most chose less than 350 yards.

So among everyone who posts on this forum, who has killed something at truly “long range”? I’m talking 600 yards or more.

Hang your pics here.

Looong ago, before the innanet, I killed a coyote at 800 by “holding over and hoping” and an Antelope at 600 by doing the same. No pics.

The first animal that fit the bill when I knew what I was doing was a coyote at 934 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let’s get this party started…
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
got this'un at 849.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
Nice shooting 22.
It's a lot harder to kill a coyote at 934 than a deer at 849. Tip of the hat goes to rc.....

Altho this one time, I did kill a coyote at 900. But I didn't know it..... Seen a coyote mousing way across the prairie, from the feedtruck. I backed up a little till the truck was kinda hid. Grabbed the rifle and climbed up on the flatbed. Couldn't get a range with the snow on the ground, but did range a clump of yucca kinda close to him at 900. Slapped down the bipod on the roof of the truck, elbows on the headache rack, dialed and let fly. The coyote disappeared. A few seconds later I seen him streaking for the creekbottom. Figured I missed. A couple days later, I rode the quad out to paint my gongs and found him right where I spined him. He had a partner in the swale behind him that I never saw. That was the one that bugged out when his bud dropped outta my sight.....
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
Haha, good stuff Don.

One of my early LR kills was similar. Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned. Looking back, it's funny to think of the equipment I used to make that shot. Mirage against the snow showed just a hint of wind, which I estimated to be about 1 mph full value. I held for it by shading just a reticle-width into the wind, and let a shot fly. The 'yote sprung into the air, danced around a bit, and then laid dead. I walked over to him, and found I had hit him square in the shoulder. Ranged back to the truck where I had shot from, and sure enough the Leica read 942. I had some pics of me sitting next to the coyote, holding up 9 fingers, but the pics got lost when my previous hard-drive failed. I'll likely never recover those. Still have the memories, though.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
got this'un at 849.

Nice!!!
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Haha, good stuff Don.

One of my early LR kills was similar. Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned. Looking back, it's funny to think of the equipment I used to make that shot. Mirage against the snow showed just a hint of wind, which I estimated to be about 1 mph full value. I held for it by shading just a reticle-width into the wind, and let a shot fly. The 'yote sprung into the air, danced around a bit, and then laid dead. I walked over to him, and found I had hit him square in the shoulder. Ranged back to the truck where I had shot from, and sure enough the Leica read 942. I had some pics of me sitting next to the coyote, holding up 9 fingers, but the pics got lost when my previous hard-drive failed. I'll likely never recover those. Still have the memories, though.

👍🏼
yanno, I believed that tale, right up till the part you said Burris.....bwahaha just kidding
760 yards with the Creedmoor. Immature Ibex hunt in the Floridas, NM

yanno, I believed that tale, right up till the part you said Burris.....bwahaha just kidding
I don't blame ya. I wouldn't believe that part, either! grin
Nice shooting, Rick. But your pic isn't loading. wink
Nice shooting, Rick. But your pic isn't loading. wink

Postimage is down
Another try.

840 yards .300 Winchester and the 230 Berger OTM

I have a couple Arapahoe County deputies come out and shoot with me once a month. They showed up one day and were getting ready to go. Jeff was setting up his spotting scope, as was I. Mike was getting his AI 300 win mag ready to shoot first. Jeff looked thru the scope and there was a coyote within 10 feet of my mile gong. Mike slapped a mag in his rifle, dialed his 1760 yard dope and let 'er fly. He just overshot the coyotes back. Both me and Jeff both told him to just hold a few inches lower. The coyote ran a little towards us at the shot and was looking back at the dustcloud kicked up behind him. Next shot drilled him. He has the ranch longrange title with 1740 yards.....
I have a couple Arapahoe County deputies come out and shoot with me once a month. They showed up one day and were getting ready to go. Jeff was setting up his spotting scope, as was I. Mike was getting his AI 300 win mag ready to shoot first. Jeff looked thru the scope and there was a coyote within 10 feet of my mile gong. Mike slapped a mag in his rifle, dialed his 1760 yard dope and let 'er fly. He just overshot the coyotes back. Both me and Jeff both told him to just hold a few inches lower. The coyote ran a little towards us at the shot and was looking back at the dustcloud kicked up behind him. Next shot drilled him. He has the ranch longrange title with 1740 yards.....

Awesome!
Now that's some good stuff.

.300 Winchester with the 208 A-Max

Great pics, Rick. I need to start taking more photos of my kills. It's usually an after-thought.
Great pics, Rick. I need to start taking more photos of my kills. It's usually an after-thought.

I know. But when they’re long, ya gotta do it or no one will believe you!

😂

Good thing every one of mine was witnessed
Lol
Here's a pic of Mike the cop and his coyote. We rode the 4wheelers out to get him, and didn't think to grab his rifle for a hero shot in the field. So we clicked one back at the barn...

Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I know. But when they’re long, ya gotta do it or no one will believe you!

😂

Good thing every one of mine was witnessed
Lol
Haha, very true.
Here's a pic of Mike the cop and his coyote. We rode the 4wheelers out to get him, and didn't think to grab his rifle for a hero shot in the field. So we clicked one back at the barn...

One that you’ll never forget!!
Yeah, it was fun. Sure made banging steel afterward kinda boring.
We hunt in an area with some feral Spanish Goats. It’s a fun deal in the middle of the day when nothing’s moving.

My buddy wanted to film a long range kill so we found a group. I lined one up on a cliff way up there at 780. Buddy said he was good to go with the Swarovski spotter and phoneskope so I torched one off which made him tip over and fall at least 100 feet, bouncing like a super ball.

Checked his video and he wasn’t on the Ram!
Ha!
Posted By: Higginez Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22

350 ish

Post Image is being lame
Same area.

The 7mm Mashburn Super and the 195 Berger EOL.

Coincidentally shot some steel at 1620 yards the week before the hunt. Killed this one at 1620 lasered yards…

Originally Posted by Higginez

350 ish

Nice!
8 million yards

Fuggin Post Image..... LOL
A few at less than 600, but fun…

CB cap at 40 yards

350 ish on the wing
Posted By: kingston Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
I shot a bunch of rocks today at 841 and 957.

Does that count?

They were small rocks.
Originally Posted by kingston

Does that count?

They were small rocks.

Yes. 😁
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted this before 1760 Yards, only place here you can see a critter this far is on the range.

Little over 1000 Yards. no rocks here we have to shoot steel.

Rio7
Posted By: xphunter Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
I don't have pictures of everything.
My 700ish yard mule deer, I can't find the picture.
Plus, I have another mule deer I can't find the pic of with my 6.5-284 rear grip that was over 600...Thinking around 640 (140 A-Max).
I guess I should keep a log with exact dates and distance
These are both just a bit over 600. First one was like 605ish and the other was around 613, both with my 6.5 Leopard (130 Berger.

Farthest antelope buck 1036 or 1037 (162 A-Max). I would need to go back and look at the actual number
7WSM

My son's furthest kill with my 7mm SAUM was 749 yards (162 A-Max).

Dan E. using my 6.5-284 with 140 AB's, cow elk at 680 yards

666 yard cow with one of my 7mm Dakota's (200 Wildcat)

Multiple prairie dogs past a grand, and three past 1500 yards
Yeah, it was fun. Sure made banging steel afterward kinda boring.
I still like shooting steel...But I would rather be shooting prairie dogs!

Does that count?

They were small rocks.

Shooting unsuspecting rocks at distance always counts
Originally Posted by xphunter
Plus, I have another mule deer I can't find the pic of with my 6.5-284 rear grip that was over 600...Thinking around 640 (140 A-Max).
These are both just a bit over 600. First one was like 605ish and the other was around 613, both with my 6.5 Leopard (130 Berger.

Farthest antelope buck 1036 or 1037 (162 A-Max). I would need to go back and look at the actual number
7WSM

Awesome xp

Does that count?

They were small rocks.

Shooting unsuspecting rocks at distance always counts

lol
Posted By: horse1 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
I don't have a pic but I did have a witness. Whitetailed doe @ 732yds w/243AI and 105 A-Max.

I shot 3 coyotes during deer season last fall all running/trotting @ shallow nearly straight-away angles @ +/- 400yds. Fall of '20 I head-shot a coyote streaking dead-away @ 503yds with 2 witnesses. The coyotes were all taken w/1:8 22-250's shooting 75gn A-Max @ ~3300fps. One is a M70 CRPF "Coyote Lite" rebarreled w/Rock #4 spiral fluted in a McMillan Classic pattern, the other rifle is a Kimber Montana w/Lilja 1:8 factory taper dupe @ 22". The M70 settles down faster but the Kimber is handier and sees more action lately.
Posted By: chamois Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22
The question actually was what is the typical distance we take big game at, not the longest distances at which we've done it.
My reply was #1 because most of the time I'd rather try to get close.
Not in this case, though, when this big male baboon stopped after a 640 meter (700 yds) run when he thought he was safe, too far for a 105gr VLD from my 6XC to reach him. :-))

Originally Posted by chamois
The question actually was what is the typical distance we take big game at, not the longest distances at which we've done it.
Not in this case, though, when this big male baboon stopped after a 640 meter (700 yds) run when he thought he was safe, too far for a 105gr VLD from my 6XC to reach him. :-))

Closer is better for sure on game animals. Cool Baboon!

Extreme long shots on varmints like prairie dogs is good practice
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Long range hunting? - 11/09/22

Couldn't agree more.....42 yds. The baboons, however, were much too smart for me.

Originally Posted by JGRaider

Couldn't agree more.....42 yds. The baboons, however, were much too smart for me.

42 yards is stunt shooting.

25 yards is more ethical

Posted By: Swamplord Re: Long range hunting? - 11/10/22
25-42 yards isn't sporting , you didn't allow the animal an opportunity to escape, therefore it's not fair chase ...

it's not hunting .... it's shooting, should have stalked further away !

ha !
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Long range hunting? - 11/10/22

Longest hits on steel for me. 1825 yards

Posted By: RIO7 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/10/22

1800 yards is very doable with a number of head stamps and bullets, nothing new here. Rio7
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Long range hunting? - 11/10/22
Originally Posted by RIO7

1800 yards is very doable with a number of head stamps and bullets, nothing new here. Rio7

Cool! Great range you have.

The thread still begs the question about long range hunting; animals not steel. Have you dirt-napped anything over 600?
rcamuglia, 600 yards or over No, it's so flat here you can stand on a brick and see the Gulf of Mexico, if your looking down a road, but every where else is Brush, most places it's hard to see much over 200 yards, very rarely take a critter over 200 yards. Rio7
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: Long range hunting? - 11/10/22
Another try.

How did you know it was hit? BWAHAHAHHA!

"How do you know it's dead?" "Well, there is more blood outside the body than in!" BWAHAHAHAHA

Says the guy shooting Bushnell! BWAHAHAHAHA! Those Elite Tacticals are F'N amazing! I have a DMRII I use to check all my load development and made 1/4 MOA hits at a mile with it.

That the Waypoint 2020 rifle?
All the steel shooting posers with their pics in this thread. Man, shooting steel and shooting game a whole separate ball game folks! Murphy doesn't jack with you as much on the range! BWAHAHHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHA
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/10/22
Originally Posted by RedBeard308
That the Waypoint 2020 rifle?

Mine? No.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Long range hunting? - 11/10/22
Another try.

How far did you have to track him? 7 feet? Looks like a good blood trail. Guessing impact velocity was adequate. grin
RedBeard308, If you can't hit a long range steel target on the range? not much sense shooting at critters long range, or do you use live critters for target practice?? Rio7
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Long range hunting? - 11/11/22
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Another try.

How far did you have to track him? 7 feet? Looks like a good blood trail. Guessing impact velocity was adequate. grin

Never took a step, went down like Frazier!

Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/11/22
My longest poke on steel was at the first Icebreaker I went to. 1970 yards, 3 consecutive hits with 140 Amax's from a factory Ruger hawkeye Predator 6.5 creed. The little red plastic tips were all laying right under the gong. 2 of them looked like new and you could load them back up and go again, but the 3rd was kinda mangled. Not much poop behind a creed at that distance and the angle of impact must be pretty steep......
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Long range hunting? - 11/11/22
These days I kill a lot of steel from 850 to 1000 every month. May through October... 1000 yard bench rest silhouette is my game.
I shoot two classes of rifles a 12 and 17 pound.
Running everything from a 6mm BRA. To a 300 SAUM.
This takes up most of my shooting efforts these days.
But 35 years ago.
I did alot of wood chuck hunting.
ALOT.
Back then it was pretty much all I did.
My first custom was built by Nelson Berger.Of marshallsville Ohio.
A 22 CHeetah on a 40x action.
I made those little buggers pay.
Running the Slow 1-16 twist and 52g Bergers I found it very effective out to 500 And I think my longest was right around 550.
Later I built a second CHeetah a much different set up built by Clarence Hammond of Red Lion PA.
This rifle was a full on BR rifle Stolle action McMillian BR stock and a Lilja 28 inch bull barrel. 1-15 twist.
I shot piles of chucks and did very well from 350 to 550.
One evening I pulled out my 1936 German Army
Barr and Stroud 250 meter baseline range finder... Yes the Brits sold them to Germany before the war .
660 yards is what it worked out to.
Not supposed to be able to get those light bullets to do that kind of stuff. But back then I didn't know what I didn't know..
These days if I had a peskie chuck that needed a bullet.
I'd just dig out a bench gun and letum have it.
Might use a Lazer

dave
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Long range hunting? - 11/11/22
My longest poke on steel was at the first Icebreaker I went to. 1970 yards, 3 consecutive hits with 140 Amax's from a factory Ruger hawkeye Predator 6.5 creed. The little red plastic tips were all laying right under the gong. 2 of them looked like new and you could load them back up and go again, but the 3rd was kinda mangled. Not much poop behind a creed at that distance and the angle of impact must be pretty steep......
That was fun.

Long! Gunga Galunga!

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Long range hunting? - 11/11/22
I am no "long range" hunter, though I am set up for shots out to 800 yards. My furthest thus far was 600 yards on the nose, on the last day of the season as the herd was headed into the timber to bed. Raghorn meat bull near Bondurant, WY. I prefer to get closer if realistic to do so, but I carry a rifle capable of longer shots just for situations as described.

My next longest was another rag bull as 552 yards on the same ridgeline and an antelope at 558 yards.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am no "long range" hunter, though I am set up for shots out to 800 yards. My furthest thus far was 600 yards on the nose, on the last day of the season as the herd was headed into the timber to bed. Raghorn meat bull near Bondurant, WY. I prefer to get closer if realistic to do so, but I carry a rifle capable of longer shots just for situations as described.

My next longest was another rag bull as 552 yards on the same ridgeline and an antelope at 558 yards.

Same philosophy here. Why not be able to shoot your rifle accurately as far as it’s capable of killing.

👍🏼
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Long range hunting? - 11/12/22
Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned.

Jordan,

The Burris FFII "Tactical" (which had a 30mm tube) was made close to 20 years ago, and featured a much stronger coil-spring erector-tube adjustment system than the 1" FFIIs. I know this because of getting one way back then--and still owning it today, due to it being so reliable on several rifles. Right now it's on my 6.5 PRC, a custom rifle by Charlie Sisk, which has been among my favorites over the past couple years.

But apparently most shooters couldn't believe such a "cheap" scope could dial so reliably, and hold up so well, so it was discontinued. But a few years ago Burris offered basically the same scope, but changed the name to the C4. Tested one of those and it also was dead-nuts, but apparently the same thing happened with the "perceived value," and it didn't last long.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/12/22
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Same philosophy here. Why not be able to shoot your rifle accurately as far as it’s capable of killing.

👍🏼

Yep, distance is just a tool in the tool-box, not a philosophy or intended tactic for me.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Long range hunting? - 11/12/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Was out in a field shooting water-filled milk jugs, balloons, etc., out to about 600 yards, when I spotted a coyote in an adjacent field mousing in the snow. After a couple of tries, the Leica LRF1200 gave a reading on the coyote of 942 yards. I was shooting a Tikka in .25-06 with 100gr SMK, and after checking DOPE, I dialed the correction into the Burris FFII Tactical 3-9x. Incidentally, that was the best-tracking Burris I ever owned.

Jordan,

The Burris FFII "Tactical" (which had a 30mm tube) was made close to 20 years ago, and featured a much stronger coil-spring erector-tube adjustment system than the 1" FFIIs. I know this because of getting one way back then--and still owning it today, due to it being so reliable on several rifles. Right now it's on my 6.5 PRC, a custom rifle by Charlie Sisk, which has been among my favorites over the past couple years.

But apparently most shooters couldn't believe such a "cheap" scope could dial so reliably, and hold up so well, so it was discontinued. But a few years ago Burris offered basically the same scope, but changed the name to the C4. Tested one of those and it also was dead-nuts, but apparently the same thing happened with the "perceived value," and it didn't last long.
Thanks for the info, JB. I only owned that one FFII Tactical, and I eventually let it go as a package deal when I sold the Tikka it was mounted on at the time, but it always worked flawlessly. Interesting about the C4.

That’s a critter I’d like to kill for the skull. Excellent!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/25/22
Antelope near Medicine Bow, Wyoming @ 777 yards 3X15X50 NXS, 300 win 180 TSX
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Long range hunting? - 11/25/22
525 Yards - Freehand - No Rest and Standing with my P1917 .30-06

Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Long range hunting? - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Nice!

Are you a silhouette shooter?
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Long range hunting? - 11/26/22

Good morning to you sir!

Could you tell me what a silhouette shooter is?

Not familiar with that term in the shooting sense?

Thanks ~ KB
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Long range hunting? - 11/27/22

Good morning to you sir!

Could you tell me what a silhouette shooter is?

Not familiar with that term in the shooting sense?

Thanks ~ KB

It’s a rifle game shooting steel silhouettes from off-hand standing
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Long range hunting? - 11/27/22
It’s a rifle game shooting steel silhouettes from off-hand standing

Hi Rick, hope your day is going great!

Gotta say you take great pictures of your hunts, outstanding.

To answer your question, no.

The only shooting I do is a week before hunting season I go to my friend's farm, and we set up 2 - 10" plates one at 200 yards the other at 500 yards.

I only own two rifles, and my go to rifle is my 1917, a real tack driver. I have it zero'ed at 200 yards and my typical shots are < 200 yards. I have been shooting for over 50 years and have become an excellent shot because of it. I basically consider myself an "Instinctive Shooter". When I go shooting, I just want to know that my scope is on and has not changed by being knocked around. If it's off, I will make the necessary adjustments and then go hunting. I shoot at the 500-yard plate with my .300 Win Mag. I have killed many deer and several moose freehand, so I am comfortable shooting freehand.

I bought my .300 Win Mag and set it up for long-range shooting specifically because of that moose I shot above, I did not like the guesswork involved at that distance with my 1917. I came to the conclusion that the setup on my 1917 was not really appropriate for longer range shooting, and I wanted a more powerful caliber rifle with a much better scope on it, specifically for elk hunting, and to take the guess work out of aiming and shooting at longer ranges. To me long-range shooting with my 1917 and the scope that is on it, is over 300 yards.

The scope I have on my 1917 is a BAUSCH & LOMB Rainguard Elite 2.5-10x and is not what I would call a long-range scope by any means.

When I shot that moose, I was in a very big meadow, I called out two bulls that came out of the tree line and I was standing in the meadow with nothing to use as a rest and it was the only shot I had, so I took it. I am an excellent moose caller and my typical shots on moose are <100 yards, because I call them in all the time, my closest was 20 yards, but that was with my bow.

Have a great Sunday ~ KB
Posted By: smokepole Re: Long range hunting? - 11/28/22
Prairie dogs at 625. Out at huntsman's place. Don't have the pics any more but Don posted them on the varmint forum:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-dead-critter-and-fur-thread#Post9970774
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Long range hunting? - 11/28/22
smokepole, I went to the thread and saw this from 6MMWASP, with the caption "Never Saw It Coming" hilarious!

Gotta love my brother the WASP!

https://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b406/6MMWASP/Dog_zpsualjocip.jpg
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Long range hunting? - 11/29/22
618 yards. There's a bull dead out there.

Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Long range hunting? - 11/29/22
Sweet!

I love shooting off my pack in the field.

🦫
Posted By: beretzs Re: Long range hunting? - 11/29/22

Little brother with his bull at 675. M70, 300 Win, 200 AB.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Long range hunting? - 11/29/22
Beauty bull beretzs, great shooting too, congratulations!
Posted By: selmer Re: Long range hunting? - 11/30/22

7WSM

xphunter - how are you setting up scopes on those? Are standard eye relief or extended eye relief scopes? I can't imagine shooting any of my single shot pistols with a standard eye relief scope, but you're MUCH deeper into the game than I am. Are the muzzle brakes taking enough recoil off to make standard eye relief workable?
Posted By: xphunter Re: Long range hunting? - 11/30/22
Using rifle scopes
Excellent Muzzle Brakes: Holland Radial Baffle brakes
Above was a 280 AI

This is a 6XC
26 Nosler
Wow. Just wow. Thanks for sharing those videos. I had no idea a brake could be that effective, even on something like the 26 Nosler. I assume those are screw-on brakes from Holland? This is now severely intriguing me. I do quite well with 2-7x and 2.5-8x handgun scopes for hunting, but they wouldn't cut it for stuff over 400 yards.
Now I want one for each of my Encore barrels and on my XP-100 in .350 Rem Mag...being able to use rifle scopes would be a game changer.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Long range hunting? - 11/30/22
Using rifle scopes

Can't stand people talking when I am shooting, drives me NUTZ, but that's just me.

It's like someone giving you instructions when you are having sex mad
Originally Posted by selmer
Wow. Just wow. Thanks for sharing those videos. I had no idea a brake could be that effective, even on something like the 26 Nosler. I assume those are screw-on brakes from Holland? This is now severely intriguing me. I do quite well with 2-7x and 2.5-8x handgun scopes for hunting, but they wouldn't cut it for stuff over 400 yards.

Yes, the brakes have to be timed by a smith.
My videos are far from professional.
Check more out if you are interested.
PM if you want to visit by phone
Using rifle scopes

Can't stand people talking when I am shooting, drives me NUTZ, but that's just me.

It's like someone giving you instructions when you are having sex mad

Understood.
Originally Posted by selmer

7WSM

xphunter - how are you setting up scopes on those? Are standard eye relief or extended eye relief scopes? I can't imagine shooting any of my single shot pistols with a standard eye relief scope, but you're MUCH deeper into the game than I am. Are the muzzle brakes taking enough recoil off to make standard eye relief workable?

Just sent you a PM.
Depending on the weight of the specialty pistol, chambering, bullet weight/MV, and quality of the brake, I will choose a partial FOV (Which is still greater than a LER full FOV), to a complete FOV.
Selmer,
If you want to learn to shoot distance with a specialty pistol, I have several loaner XP's that are ready to go for distance. You would need to pay for the ammunition.
https://sebrests-usa.com/wy-shot/
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Long range hunting? - 11/30/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Jordan,

Amazing that people will perceive value based on price. And then brag about how expensive it was!
Posted By: JGray Re: Long range hunting? - 11/30/22
I have a few of the Burris C4 scopes, both 1" and 30mm. I bought up all I could find when they discontinued them. They could be had for +/- $200 at the time...
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Long range hunting? - 12/01/22
Great thread with great stories and great photos. My meager story occurred only two weeks ago when I got my longest range shot on a coyote and my shortest range shot on a coyote (non-shotgun) on the same day. I was walking off of some BLM land after putting the stalk on some deer on which I decided to pass. Off in the distance I saw a coyote walking along. I laid down and when he stopped, I ranged him at 784 yards. I laid my 280AI across my pack, dialed the scope and dumped him. I was pretty tickled about my longest shot ever on a coyote with no witnesses. Oh well.

I finally got back to the truck and was heading down a county road to reach a section of state land. When I turned a corner, the world's bravest or dumbest coyote kept walking the ditch in front of me occasionally looking back over his shoulder at me. He didn't appear sickly in any way. I just continued to follow him at about ten to twenty yards behind him when finally he walked under the fence and stood there looking at me. Expecting him to haul ass any second, I decided to pull out the "long range coyote rifle", a Bergara LRP, 6.5 CM with LRTS scope and got out of the truck. I walked over to the fence thinking I would be laying down with the tripod or resting on the fence post. In all of this time he had covered a grand total of, what I estimated by eyeball and years of experience, about 15 yards. My wind call and dope were all good. So, my longest and shortest rifle shots on coyotes coincidentally occurred on the same day.
Posted By: xphunter Re: Long range hunting? - 12/01/22
EXCELLENT!!!
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Long range hunting? - 12/01/22

720 yards with 6XC 108 grain ELD M.

860 yards with the same rifle and bullet combination as the last. Love that 6XC. No recoil, long case life, just a joy to shoot. I've killed plenty of animals at spitting distance with both bow and rifle. I also have the ability and tools to take them at long range when there isn't another option. It's a good tool to have.
Posted By: xphunter Re: Long range hunting? - 12/01/22
Very Nice!
Love the XC!
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Long range hunting? - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by ranger1

860 yards with the same rifle and bullet combination as the last. Love that 6XC. No recoil, long case life, just a joy to shoot. I've killed plenty of animals at spitting distance with both bow and rifle. I also have the ability and tools to take them at long range when there isn't another option. It's a good tool to have.

Awesome!
Posted By: Mack1112 Re: Long range hunting? - 04/06/23
this is an awesome thread. my longest kills are only 400, so i cant post any pics yet haha
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Long range hunting? - 04/06/23
Originally Posted by ranger1

6xc. Awesome cartridge. I've actually never had a scope that I could dial. Had one, never mounted it. I've been shooting 10 and 14 power vx3s for 25 years. I just do the holdover. When zeroed at 200, seems like most cartridges are 6" low at 300, 16-18" at 400, ect. Only cartridge that was an exception to that rule that I have had experience with was a 240 wby. Laser beam. But I've shot quite a few deer beyond 500. Once a guy starts popping them consistently past 600 with Kentucky windage, you've reached a new level!
Posted By: Trystan Re: Long range hunting? - 06/16/23
The longest range I've killed game at is 530 yds. I have a 600 yd self imposed limit if conditions are good. I have however made tons of first round impacts on steel at 1340 yds. I could shoot at game and post tons of kills no doubt and the world would emediatetly see how cool I was without seeing the unsuccesses that would be mixed in and not shared with anyone as so often happens. I'm saving such behavior for when the communists invade the USA
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Long range hunting? - 06/16/23

in all the chatter in the back ground is my wife , two brother in laws and a Guide I just met. Easy shot ,but too many witnesses to miss adds to stress. I have since killed deer and antelope farther , but this is the first true 600+ shot intentionally taken.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Long range hunting? - 06/22/23
Just last week, I smoked two deer on a crop damage permit with the 6.5 PRC. Both were at 635 yards. Both dropped where they stood. I'll take pix on my next outing!
Posted By: Benbo Re: Long range hunting? - 06/22/23
A few nights ago I shot a doe at 538 yards through my thermal. Also on a damage permit. I had no idea how far she was until I downloaded the video and could tell she was sniffing a deer I had shot earlier in the day at 538 that had fallen below a slight rise.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Long range hunting? - 06/22/23
got this'un at 849.

I would have lied a bit on that one and called it 850. lol
Posted By: yobuck Re: Long range hunting? - 06/22/23
Originally Posted by dave7mm
These days I kill a lot of steel from 850 to 1000 every month. May through October... 1000 yard bench rest silhouette is my game.
I shoot two classes of rifles a 12 and 17 pound.
Running everything from a 6mm BRA. To a 300 SAUM.
This takes up most of my shooting efforts these days.
But 35 years ago.
I did alot of wood chuck hunting.
ALOT.
Back then it was pretty much all I did.
My first custom was built by Nelson Berger.Of marshallsville Ohio.
A 22 CHeetah on a 40x action.
I made those little buggers pay.
Running the Slow 1-16 twist and 52g Bergers I found it very effective out to 500 And I think my longest was right around 550.
Later I built a second CHeetah a much different set up built by Clarence Hammond of Red Lion PA.
This rifle was a full on BR rifle Stolle action McMillian BR stock and a Lilja 28 inch bull barrel. 1-15 twist.
I shot piles of chucks and did very well from 350 to 550.
One evening I pulled out my 1936 German Army
Barr and Stroud 250 meter baseline range finder... Yes the Brits sold them to Germany before the war .
660 yards is what it worked out to.
Not supposed to be able to get those light bullets to do that kind of stuff. But back then I didn't know what I didn't know..
These days if I had a peskie chuck that needed a bullet.
I'd just dig out a bench gun and letum have it.
Might use a Lazer

dave
So do you remember when Hammond had a camp in Keating, and ran an airboat on the west branch of the Susquehanna river and the Sinnemahoning creek as far as Sinnemahoning during the buck season hunting the hillsides?
As for the Germans having Barr&Stroud rangefinders, i dont doubt they had some, and so did the Japs, but the Germans had very good ones of their own as well. Not all of them were usable however, as those were used for a specific purpose.
I still have and use a Wild rangefinder quite often, and consider it a bit better than the Barr&Stroud.
They never refuse to work when conditions are poor.
Posted By: mad_okie Re: Long range hunting? - 09/01/23
12 yards, 176” whitetail.
© 24hourcampfire