Home
To be clear I am looking for first long range specific rifle. I’m new to this so bear with me on terminologies I’m sure I will mess some things up. I currently have several sporter rifles including Tikka‘s and older Remington‘s. I’ve been shooting to 500 yards with them and feel pretty comfortable. I moved out to 700 and was having trouble. But I’m really enjoying it and want to take the next step. I’m not even sure what the next step looks like but wanting to hit 700+.

There are two new in box rifles a buddy of mine has and he will sell me either. Ruger Precision in 308 or 6.5CM.

As far as price, I’d like to keep it in the $1500 range. I would bump up a little bit if it would get me a whole lot more. I have a scope and rings so that is for the rifle.

Wondering if these would be good options for taking the next step.
How much do you want to spend?????
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
How much do you want to spend?????

Thanks for the reminder I always forget to include that. I edited the original post but looking to spend around $1500. Already have glass and rings.
The first,next and last step,is trigger time. You'll not shoot anything thus far cited,enough to make a fhuqk. Optics and mounting systems matter too. Hint.

Go Barkin' Arken on a Vudon't and actually fhuqking LEARN something,from actually shooting. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The 4-16x 34mm's Mil/Mil's are a fhuqking STEAL and amazingly reliable. 6x MQ's are simply nowhere to be found,or would be the very obvious nudge. Hint.

The 10x MQ ain't horrid and available,though I prefer rear parallax control,which is subjective. They will eat a MT 30MOA rail(all they had in stock on my last order),as well as a full 40MOA in 'Horn rings,for 70 MOA total inclination. That will leave 38 or 39 Mil's of erector travel available,from a 50yd zero. Hint.

Thank me later..................
'Stick,

That Annie has a 75 MOA base, hence the zero offset rings?
There's a 280 ai on the classifieds right now that is loaded with a vx5 and components available that will definitely work for what you want. It might be a little more than 1500 but buy once cry once.
Buddy of mine once said.
"Cheap ain't custom and custom ain't cheap"
--remington classic
David,

I had Bob at D.I.P. build me a run of 75 MOA1913 extended rails for Annie 54's. To date,I've yet to encounter a 54 that wouldn't accept 75 MOA of inclination,with a 6x or 10x MQ and yield a 50yd 22LR zero. My 1717 D HB 'Hummer wears same and a 125yd zero. The guy with the most inclination and erector travel,never don't not win. Said system tends to yield 40 MOA on the erectors,with 10 Mil's laying in wait on the reticle,for a total of 50 Mil's,which is the 700yd line in my atmosphere. Hint.

So with the 75 MOA inclination of the rail,"flat" rings are the correct approach. On say a Vudoo 60 MOA rail,'Horn rings brighten the horizons,by adding more available erector travel to the equation. EVERYTHING below zero on any/all erectors,is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint.

Nothing is more FUN or will teach more,than Long Range Rimfire Pursuits. Hint.................
OP, what scope do you have? That’s probably the most important part of this TBH.

If you have an appropriate scope, and since you own Tikka already, a Tikka in 6.5 CM would likely not suck. You’ll likely want to use a long box and modify the bolt stop, but you never know, might shoot great even away from the lands.

Personally? Go 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 SAUM) on a short action M700 using George’s reamer spec and laugh all the way to the bank. Unfortunately you’ll be going to the bank to get money to try to buy brass <g>. But other than that it’s awesome. smile
Jeff,

I have a SWFA 10x and a Trijicon 4-16x50 in Mil.
Proficiency can't be purchased and it's never been difficult to savvy,who shoots and who don't. Hint.

The Astute will learn more in a single outing with a Skookum 22LR,than a "life" spent with an esoteric Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

That's why this schit is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS,as Droolers do their best! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
copy

Originally Posted by Big Stick
David,

I had Bob at D.I.P. build me a run of 75 MOA1913 extended rails for Annie 54's. To date,I've yet to encounter a 54 that wouldn't accept 75 MOA of inclination,with a 6x or 10x MQ and yield a 50yd 22LR zero. My 1717 D HB 'Hummer wears same and a 125yd zero. The guy with the most inclination and erector travel,never don't not win. Said system tends to yield 40 MOA on the erectors,with 10 Mil's laying in wait on the reticle,for a total of 50 Mil's,which is the 700yd line in my atmosphere. Hint.

So with the 75 MOA inclination of the rail,"flat" rings are the correct approach. On say a Vudoo 60 MOA rail,'Horn rings brighten the horizons,by adding more available erector travel to the equation. EVERYTHING below zero on any/all erectors,is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint.

Nothing is more FUN or will teach more,than Long Range Rimfire Pursuits. Hint.................
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
To be clear I am looking for first long range specific rifle. I’m new to this so bear with me on terminologies I’m sure I will mess some things up. I currently have several sporter rifles including Tikka‘s and older Remington‘s. I’ve been shooting to 500 yards with them and feel pretty comfortable. I moved out to 700 and was having trouble. But I’m really enjoying it and want to take the next step. I’m not even sure what the next step looks like but wanting to hit 700+.

There are two new in box rifles a buddy of mine has and he will sell me either. Ruger Precision in 308 or 6.5CM.

As far as price, I’d like to keep it in the $1500 range. I would bump up a little bit if it would get me a whole lot more. I have a scope and rings so that is for the rifle.

Shooting steel or paper primarily?
Do you reload?
Are you interested in a specific long range discipline?
Personally, I would look at some different rifles than the Ruger.
Tikka, Bergara, and maybe even one of the newer Remington 700’s

One of the best gifts you could give yourself, is to get some basics down on the fundamentals of shooting, and in long range shooting.
That can be done through classes that are available throughout the country, and then what would be cheaper in the long run, is finding a mentor.
Are there any PRS,NRL, or F-Class matches near you?
What are you shooting now, and what`s the problem to 700?
Originally Posted by CGPAUL

I have a Tikka T3x in 7mag and a M700 in 308. Both Sporter barrels.

I was shooting a 10” plate and missing all over. Most shots barely missing. Did clip it once. Barely on the edge.
If this hasn't been said already, kiss, find pressure, rock on.

I've found that where I have mag length to spare, many of my problems are fixed by seating the bullets to where they just touch the lands.
One more thought from the short bus…. it’s certainly possible to shoot light rifles well and it’s something to aspire and effort towards. But it’s much easier to shoot heavier rifles well. Less recoil, and much less finicky with respect to right hand technique, and variances in whatever you are using as a front rest, being three big reasons. On that note you should run your triggers really light IMHO and that’s especially true of lighter rifles.

That’s my experience anyway. I don’t have a heavier factory build to pimp as I haven’t been following what the rifle makers are offering these days. My personal heavy-ish rifle is a 24” Sendero-profile tube in the HS stock Remington used to use in the Sendero. Short action, 7 WSM, love the thing and shoot it very well.

Can’t help but say that your 7 mag Tikka should have great potential… wonder why it’s fightin’ you…

I was shooting a 10” plate and missing all over. Most shots barely missing. Did clip it once. Barely on the edge.

What bullets? Hugely important.

Try 162 and 180 ELDM’s in the 7 mag, driven by 7828 SSC, if you haven’t already.
I don't have a 22LR that weighs over 19lbs,with a billet loaded mag. Hint.

I have some Flyweight Rimfire Bitches too. Hint.

NOTHING will as quickly and reliably resolve abilities,as fast as a Skookum 22LR. There's MUCH to be said for seeing what the fhuqk is going on,during trigger break,bullet flight and impact. There are lots of ways to get there and I have all the T-shirts. A Vudon't with a 10x MQ and 70 MOA of extended 1913 inclination,will PINPOINT exactly what the fhuqk is going on and more importantly WHY. Hint.

Teeker do no .284" favors,especially in 7mm RemMag due COAL latitude,RPM and throat geometry. Hint.

That's why this schit is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS,as Droolers do their best! It's never been difficult to savvy who shoots and who don't. Hint.

In "fairness",I only have (5) 7 Whizzum's and a goodly herd of 7mm RemMag's. I'll be unwrapping yet another 700 Custom 7mm RemMag,after a right proper GrandBaby Nap. I'm fairly certain,it was riding Dutch with the 7" RPM 223 Salami Custom 700,I unwrapped earlier today. Hint.

Both capable rifles/cartridges. What do you have on top for a glass? If you`re comfortable to 5, might just be a matter of reading conditions better than what you are doing now, and that takes some practice. Something most people aren`t willing to do with the rifles their going to hunt with.

BTB, if you are able to shoot these rifles 1 inch or under at 100, it`s not the rifles.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

What bullets? Hugely important.

Try 162 and 180 ELDM’s in the 7 mag, driven by 7828 SSC, if you haven’t already.

OK sounds good I will definitely try those. I have shot someone 62s they were factory and all I’ve shot that I loaded for 160 Accubonds
Both capable rifles/cartridges. What do you have on top for a glass? If you`re comfortable to 5, might just be a matter of reading conditions better than what you are doing now, and that takes some practice. Something most people aren`t willing to do with the rifles their going to hunt with.

BTB, if you are able to shoot these rifles 1 inch or under at 100, it`s not the rifles.

This is super helpful and makes sense. They both shoot under an inch and I’m consistent at 500. I’m thinking I was miss reading the wind. VX5 15x on the 7mag, and a Trijicon Credo 4–16 X 50 on the 700.
OP, what scope do you have? That’s probably the most important part of this TBH.

If you have an appropriate scope, and since you own Tikka already, a Tikka in 6.5 CM would likely not suck. You’ll likely want to use a long box and modify the bolt stop, but you never know, might shoot great even away from the lands.

Personally? Go 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 SAUM) on a short action M700 using George’s reamer spec and laugh all the way to the bank. Unfortunately you’ll be going to the bank to get money to try to buy brass <g>. But other than that it’s awesome. smile

Currently a VX5 on the 7mag but I have an SWFA 10X that I could use and I have a Trijicon Credo 4–16 X50
Based on what I’m reading I think I’m going to hold off on anything other than working up some different loads and trying to improve my capabilities, personally, as a shooter.
Maybe I will try a one of those Arkens ‘Stick recommends.
Based on what I’m reading I think I’m going to hold off on anything other than working up some different loads and trying to improve my capabilities, personally, as a shooter.

That sounds wise to me
The Reupold Confession initially,would have perhaps changed the conversation. Hint.

Barkin' Arken pointed towards 1600yd steel. Big Green 7mm RemMag,3.580" COAL 180 ELD Smooches at 2980fps. Hint.

'Nother with 3-12x LRTS/G3. Throats identical(by design). Shorter spout at 2950fps. Hint.

I like my 280's throated same. Hint.

Your tool selection(s),are hurting you MUCHLY. Hint...............
Never used a VX5, and not looking to bash it, but I wouldn’t trust that scope unless/until it shot a damn fine tall target test or three and then returned to zero and shot a small group.

Heck… just do the poor man’s version. Shoot a shot at 100 yards, dial the scope up 15-20 MOA, back to zero, shoot a shot, repeat. If the group isn’t “under an inch” then Houston, you have a problem. If it passes that test, then shoot a tall target test. It should print those groups “under an inch” right up the line. I had a Zeiss that did ok in terms of elevation tracking/repeating but around, if memory serves, 12 MOA from my zero it’d print about an inch to the left of the line. I have a Swaro with a reticle canted slightly relative to the adjustments; as you dial up, the shots just gradually drift off to the right of the centerline. No bueno.

All this stuff adds up. Some scope tracking error… some wind call error…

And, bullets. I swear to you, if you haven’t tried 162 ELDM’s in your 7 mag, they will up your game all by themselves.
Posted By: Dre Re: First Rifle Recommendations? - 03/28/23
I’m no long range shooter expert by any means but I did stay at holiday inn.
in all seriousness. And this just from my limited knowledge
If you’re shooting those guns with those scopes under an inch at 100, but you’re 2 moa+ at 500. It’s probably your technique.
My cheap tc venture in 270, with VX2 3-9x40 CDS can hit 8” gong at 600 consistently with cheap 140 SST bullets.. Past that my groups start to open up. It doesn’t help the thick cross hair cover all of the gong but the most outer edges
I’d try different bullets or keep working on your shooting technique and get more consistent groups at 300/400 yards before going 500/600
All good! Thanks this is all helpful.

‘Stick, what is the Last pic? The “Incredible Hulk”. Is that a 7mag also?
Never used a VX5, and not looking to bash it, but I wouldn’t trust that scope unless/until it shot a damn fine tall target test or three and then returned to zero and shot a small group.

Heck… just do the poor man’s version. Shoot a shot at 100 yards, dial the scope up 15-20 MOA, back to zero, shoot a shot, repeat. If the group isn’t “under an inch” then Houston, you have a problem. If it passes that test, then shoot a tall target test. It should print those groups “under an inch” right up the line. I had a Zeiss that did ok in terms of elevation tracking/repeating but around, if memory serves, 12 MOA from my zero it’d print about an inch to the left of the line. I have a Swaro with a reticle canted slightly relative to the adjustments; as you dial up, the shots just gradually drift off to the right of the centerline. No bueno.

All this stuff adds up. Some scope tracking error… some wind call error…

And, bullets. I swear to you, if you haven’t tried 162 ELDM’s in your 7 mag, they will up your game all by themselves.

Yeah it does all add up. Your assessment makes sense. I will try the tracking exercise you suggest.
'Hulk is a SALAMI 280,that lives on Lapooey brass and is fhuqking sensational with both 180's and 190 Beer Cans. False shouldered Virgin. Hint.

162 ELD,175 NPT,180 ELD and 190 Beer Can. The Nuzzler,obviously for fhuqking humor,as few things are fhuqking funnier. Hint.

.838 BC Beer Cans are unfhuqking believable. Hint.

LaBamba is another SALAMI 280 NASTY Bitch,that do same. Hint.

Just sayin'..............
Posted By: jc189 Re: First Rifle Recommendations? - 03/28/23
That Trijicon Credo 4–16 should get the job done for you if your shooting out to 700yds. I would put it on your most accurate rifle and put some rounds down range. put some flags down range, keep an eye on your wind. Pay attention to your mirage.
move back to 500 where you have some confidence. Practice basic fundamentals. Trigger control, breathe, relax, squeeze, follow through, etc. Call your shots. Get good at 500. Then move out to 700. That should get you better results than just starting a 700 and guessing why your not hitting the target. Jmo. I would try that first before spending any money.
Originally Posted by jc189
That Trijicon Credo 4–16 should get the job done for you if your shooting out to 700yds. I would put it on your most accurate rifle and put some rounds down range. put some flags down range, keep an eye on your wind. Pay attention to your mirage.
move back to 500 where you have some confidence. Practice basic fundamentals. Trigger control, breathe, relax, squeeze, follow through, etc. Call your shots. Get good at 500. Then move out to 700. That should get you better results than just starting a 700 and guessing why your not hitting the target. Jmo. I would try that first before spending any money.

Copy that. Gonna start here.
Man, Stick you definitely have all the goods. Sure looks like fun.
Multiple new rifles today and am sortin' through how to feed the fire. Hint.

OEM Howie Mini Carbon DBM's are Dog Schit junk,as are their mags. So I'm torn on tossing in Wayne guts or adding to my CZ Mag Hate ala JO's CZ Mag DBM in today's 6 ARC. The JO Gen2 BDL bottom is THE schit,but I'm waiting on Mail and already stbbed on in my 7" RPM 22 PPC AFI Carbon Queen. Hint.

On today's 7" RPM 223 SALAMI,I'm thinking I'll ride a Shim Slide for it's modest 2.530" 88 ELD Smooches in a GB Outlander. Cain't know though,as my AICS DBM love is to the fhuqking core! Not sure I'll get to the 7mm RemMag tonight. Hint..............
Easy to like the 180 eld m’s
Area 419 built 7mm mag…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Very nice, always puts a smile on my face when there all touching @ 100yds.
More than enough glass to do what you want to get done.

One more thing...if possible, shoot with a partner, spoter, they can be a help in calling conditions, and you both learn something.

Good Luck.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Easy to like the 180 eld m’s
Area 419 built 7mm mag…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yessir!
I would prioritize shootability, glass, and bullets, in that order. Your Tikka 7RM isn’t the rifle to learn LR shooting with, IMO. That RPR in 6.5 CM with your SS 10x on top, shooting the 147 ELD, would be a great tool. If sticking with your .308, the 155 Scenar would be a good choice, and your Credo 4-16x should work okay.
RAPER's ain't horrid,once you throw The Loudener offa fhuqking cliff and unfhuqk the trigger. Poke the 10x MQ in 'Horn's for more inclination and ring height,due their comb. Hint.

Too bad they aren't Stainless and offered in a 7" RPM 223. It'd hurt CTR sales. Hint.

If only because I shoot everything thus far cited,pass the Skookum 22LR,hold The Fluff and cut to the fhuqking chase,with actual trigger time. Hint.

Thank me later...................
I’m guessing those 190’s arrive with some authority
They BREAK .30 caliber hearts,with boring regularity. Hint..............(grin)
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If only because I shoot everything thus far cited,pass the Skookum 22LR,hold The Fluff and cut to the fhuqking chase,with actual trigger time. Hint.
Can’t argue with a good .22LR as a learning tool.
It ain't "subjective". Not that I don't enjoy folks hurriedly placing carts in front of the horse,soooooo fhuqking far away...the horse can't even see the fhuqking thing! Hint.(grin)

I can throw a coupla dozen rifles in my crummy,grab a coupla Newbs and RELIABLY predict,those platforms which will reliably STEAL The Show. Not much to it,when you simply have it all. Hint.

Spent Primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial and Long Range Rimfire Pursuits will accelerate The Learning Curve,like NOTHING else. Plus it's FUN like nothing else. Very few can begin to fathom the capabilities,as these Threads reliably corroborate,if only obliviously. Though I do enjoy the HILARIOUS Goat Fhuqks,espoused by Droolers,as they do their best. Hint.

Sounds like you are getting things lined out.
Getting those fundamentals down and time at the range are important.
Looking forward to future range reports.
© 24hourcampfire