Home
Posted By: Sharpsman Nothing else needed….. - 05/24/23
except the 6 Dasher! Over the past 70 years I believe I’ve shot about every caliber of cartridge made in America including some UK cartridges. I used the .300 Win Mag to win a few 1000 yard prone matches out in Texas sling shooting! With that being said I will add that had I had access to the 6Dasher in those days shooting Berger 105 grain Target bullets Superman would have had a hard time beating me! Using a mere 32.4 grains Varget powder it is without a doubt in my mind the most accurate cartridge for 1000 yard shooting that I’ve ever fired….bar none! It’s a close race betwixt the 6 Dasher and the 6.5 x 47 Lapua but after a few thousand rounds run through both calibers I’ll take the Dasher!
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/25/23
Happy to hear you found a cartridge you like that much. I catch hell from liking an 8 twist plain jane .243 win., but hey it works for me. I always wanted to try a 6mm-.250, but I just keep on with the .243.
6-mm.250 that get me thinking about a 6-mm CM. I know these little guns are a Blast to shoot so, get shooting. Right, not to worry how old I'm getting.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/25/23
The .243 1X8 has been my go to 1000 yard gun for years, at one time or other I have tried just about every thing, just about every 6 mm is a little brother of the .243, and not more effective,use what you like I will stay with the .243 or the 6 CM the .243 improved. Rio7
Yessir, just a faster twist barrel, makes all the difference.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/25/23
Gee, you never heard of the 6XC? David Tubbs, about 20 yrs. ago?115grn. D-Tac bullets? 8 twist?

I`ve shot a number of rounds with that cartridge to 1K. It worked.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
except the 6 Dasher! Over the past 70 years I believe I’ve shot about every caliber of cartridge made in America including some UK cartridges. I used the .300 Win Mag to win a few 1000 yard prone matches out in Texas sling shooting! With that being said I will add that had I had access to the 6Dasher in those days shooting Berger 105 grain Target bullets Superman would have had a hard time beating me! Using a mere 32.4 grains Varget powder it is without a doubt in my mind the most accurate cartridge for 1000 yard shooting that I’ve ever fired….bar none! It’s a close race betwixt the 6 Dasher and the 6.5 x 47 Lapua but after a few thousand rounds run through both calibers I’ll take the Dasher!

I'd take a 6GT over the dasher.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/25/23
Please explain or show how the same bullets with less powder out of the same 1x8 or 1x7.5 ect. out shoot a .243 at 1000 yards, I think it's great that you like the 6mm aka .243, but i don't buy this less is more B.S. Rio7
I don't think that's its so much as "out shooting" the straight 243 Winchester, which, by the way is also my go to for our long range, out to 1200 yards, steel shoots, but rather the efficiency that the 6BR / Dasher, etc. bring to the table. In my 243, to get a 107 grain bullet to 2950 - 3000 fps, I'll be burning, depending on powder, 42 to 50 grains of powder. The Dasher will do basically the same speeds with 31 to 35 grains, again, depending on the powder and rifle. The lighter powder charges also have less recoil than the 243 W, which already has next to no recoil.

The downside of the shorter rounds, like the 6BR and the Dasher is that sometimes they are a biotch to get to feed properly out of a magazine, which is the main reason I went with the straight 243 W in my rifle. A lot easier to get off 12 to 15 rounds in a 4 minute stage from a mag, rather than than single loading.

Downside of the 243 W versus the 6BR and Dasher class of cartridges, directly related to the amount of powder burned, is barrel life. Im talking half minute or better groups. In my 243 W, usable barrel life is in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds, usually 800 to 900. A 6BR or Dasher is normally in the 1500 to 2000 round range before accuracy goes to the point of no return.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/26/23
The barrel life issue is a significant concern for higher volume shooting. That in my opinion is where the 6BR, BRX, and Dasher would shine. Having to change out a barrel mid season is an unnecessary distraction.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/26/23
Good answer, for some reason my barrels last longer than 8-900 rnds i have 1 that's got 3000 rnds down the tube and it's still a 1/2" gun. and i'm shooting 107 SMK at 3000fps. but i almost never shoot a 10 rnd string, I think the way and what you use your gun for has a lot to do with barrel wear.. Rio7
Posted By: xphunter Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/26/23
For magazine use, the GT case and Creed case are preferred for me, as they feed good.

With a magazine, I don't think you are going to see a significant advantage in terms of velocity with the 105-109 class bullets in the 243 Win versus the 6 Creed.

I have single-shots in 6BR and in the Dasher.

Different cartridges have different advantages, depending on the shooting discipline, distances involved or critters to be killed.
xphunter, That is true for all Cartridges not just 6mm Cartridges. Rio7
Posted By: Higginez Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/26/23
Originally Posted by RIO7
Good answer, for some reason my barrels last longer than 8-900 rnds i have 1 that's got 3000 rnds down the tube and it's still a 1/2" gun. and i'm shooting 107 SMK at 3000fps. but i almost never shoot a 10 rnd string, I think the way and what you use your gun for has a lot to do with barrel wear.. Rio7

Aren’t you shooting a pretty long barrel with Retumbo?

6 Dasher is an awesome cartridge.
Posted By: xphunter Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/26/23
xphunter, That is true for all Cartridges not just 6mm Cartridges. Rio7

Yep.

Of course, I do have a 6mm-284 for yotes, antelope, unsuspecting rocks, and an occasional prairie dog or two
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/26/23
I've had a .243 ack., 6mm ack, 6mm, 6x284, 240 wby., and a 6mm BR. But all in all that 243 win twisted right just flat out kicks ass. I just can't do the Creedmoor thing. Each to his own. Fill a .243 case with 4350 and a 105 and let the good times roll.
Higginez, Yes, 24" 1x8 107 SMK over Retumbo, some people frown when i say Retumbo, but give it a try it works way better than 4350 or h- 1000 or the other powders i have tried. Rio7
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/26/23
Higginez, Yes, 24" 1x8 107 SMK over Retumbo, some people frown when i say Retumbo, but give it a try it works way better than 4350 or h- 1000 or the other powders i have tried. Rio7
Have you tried Hunter yet?
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/27/23
Please explain or show how the same bullets with less powder out of the same 1x8 or 1x7.5 ect. out shoot a .243 at 1000 yards, I think it's great that you like the 6mm aka .243, but i don't buy this less is more B.S. Rio7

Well I buy the "less is more B.S." because I've seen it at work! Less powder (32.4 Varget) and with powder selling akin to gold that works for some folks and with a case especially designed for an efficient burn that again works for me. And the other B.S. thing that works for me is that with 2800 rounds through this barrel, on a decent day akin to yesterday I can shoot 5 shot groups from 1000 yards that can be covered with a silver dollar! To each his own!!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/27/23
Sharpsman, I have read your comment 3-4 times and still don't know what your trying to say?? Less is more only when you expect less no matter what your shooting or how far. Rio7
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/28/23
I don't have to apologize for your density!
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/28/23
.243 Win. 8 twist.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 05/28/23
Sharpsman, Nor I yours. Rio7
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 07/12/23
Sharpsman, I have read your comment 3-4 times and still don't know what your trying to say?? Less is more only when you expect less no matter what your shooting or how far. Rio7

Do you shoot competition? What’s your throat erosion per 100 rounds? Where is the sweet spot and what’s the max forgiveness on your seating depth? Could you make it through a few matches competitively without adjusting seating depth?

Maybe he’s in a different category?
Go hunting with your 243 Winchester. Enjoy life!

Got a primo elk tag this year and I will be toting a 6mm creedmoor shooting 105bthp. Don't think I'm giving up anything but gaining shootability.

Shots might be sub 60yds or 500+....not a worry about cartridge choice.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Nothing else needed….. - 07/15/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Got a primo elk tag this year and I will be toting a 6mm creedmoor shooting 105bthp. Don't think I'm giving up anything but gaining shootability.

With a high-demand tag, it wouldn’t be my choice, but ok

Looking forward to the hunt report
Originally Posted by rosco1

Do you shoot competition? What’s your throat erosion per 100 rounds? Where is the sweet spot and what’s the max forgiveness on your seating depth? Could you make it through a few matches competitively without adjusting seating depth?

If you have to adjust seating depth between matches, your load sucks

I have friends that never adjust seating depth for the life of a barrel
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Should be a fun hunt and I will be very picky. If I don't tag out with a bow, the 6 creed will eat. Despite what the Weatherby-Boomers believe.

Also…

IME, when a barrel is on its last legs and I go back into load development and seating depth adjustments to try to get a few more rounds out of it, the adjusted load’s accuracy doesn’t last very long.

When it’s time for a new barrel, it’s time

Should be a fun hunt and I will be very picky. If I don't tag out with a bow, the 6 creed will eat. Despite what the Weatherby-Boomers believe.

Where did you draw that you can hunt with a rifle after hunting with a bow?

Where did you draw that you can hunt with a rifle after hunting with a bow?

Not NM....hint......
Evidently

Lol
Wyoming lets people hunt elk with sharp sticks and later a rifle.. Sad but very true.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Nothing else needed….. - 07/15/23
I've thought about a 6 dasher for some time. Efficient little cartridge!

Of course it is "LESS" than a 50BMG but who gives two [bleep]. A dead deer is a dead deer

Trystan
The Son-In- Law just moved to Denver, CO. So, guess I'll be in line for the CO. 2024 Elk raffle, or an OTC ticket. Might better start going to the local gym as that is a lot rougher country out there compared to NW Fla. The thought of one last Elk hunt is enough to keep me alive a another year or two - 84 now!!
So much neat stuff to use... so little time!

Go gettem FLPanhandle!

I did a lot of WI deer hunting and WY antelope hunting with a 243 Win, the bullet is the bullet, no matter how you send it, as long as you send it like it needs to be sent! 243 Win worked great for me for years!

As my hunting career slows down, my only regret is there's still a lot I want to do! Lol!

All good stuff guys, enjoy!
Posted By: 805 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 07/17/23

What charge weight are you using? Retumbo shot ok in my 243/105VLD combo but 7828 shoots lights out.

The 88gr Hammers aren’t to bad either if you are forced to use lead free.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Nothing else needed….. - 07/25/23

If you have to adjust seating depth between matches, your load sucks

I have friends that never adjust seating depth for the life of a barrel

There’s a spot of max forgiveness. I guess you missed that

And there is no way you have friends
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Nothing else needed….. - 07/26/23
the 6mm-6.5 Swedish Mauser Improved (243 Wolfkiller) is far superior
A purpose-built 243W would still run with them all 💪
Posted By: aalf Re: Nothing else needed….. - 08/11/23
I've been shooting a Dasher for over 20 years, glad to see some catch up......
Posted By: ERK Re: Nothing else needed….. - 08/11/23
One only has to look up the 600 and 1000 yard benchrest records to see what’s what. Edk
© 24hourcampfire