Home
Posted By: ArcherBunker 700 bolt release issue - 01/08/24
I bought a new 700 Long Range. Took it out of the box to clean it and couldn't remove the bolt without using a screwdriver. The rifle came with a Timney. The bolt release lever seems to have a bunch of slack side to side so it doesn't travel in a straight line. It also doesn't have enough travel when fully depressed to lower the bolt release lever enough for the bolt to clear. I've always been fond of Timney triggers but the trigger on this new Remington is junk. The bolt release is junk. Daisy makes a smoother operating safety and the trigger feels like a brick wall. Is this a one off or has Timney outsourced to Chyna like everything else?

I could throw a fit and send the rifle back, but I planned on getting a better trigger anyway. I don't want to risk ordering another Timney if they all suck. Jewel triggers are on backorder everywhere I've looked. How do Triggertechs compare?
TT makes a few grades of trigger, and they are excellent in their respective categories, IMO.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/08/24
Your not gonna get a new Jewel anytime soon or if ever unless its from a private party. TT are good but don't try and put a Diamond on a factory 700.
Posted By: devnull Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/08/24
Jewel is out of business.
Posted By: drop_point Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/08/24
Posted By: gunzo Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/08/24
If you can live with a min pull of 1# TT offers that with a bolt release. But their lighter pull trigger, Diamond, is not offered with a bolt release.

It's pretty much gonna have to be Timney if ya want less than a # & have a bolt release as well. Dang, I don't even need a trigger right now but I already miss Jewell.

Is Rifle Basix good to go? I don't hear much about them where Jewell or TT is spoken.
Posted By: drop_point Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/08/24
I’ve had Basix and was unimpressed. I prefer the Trigger Tech Special in the “Pro Curved” variety. You can also go Bix’n’Andy and Flavio.
Posted By: pete53 Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/08/24
myself i just started using different brand rifles ,i may still own some Remington 700`s but not hunting with 700`s anymore except for prairie dogs. sorry but good luck,Pete53
Thanks for the info. I was eyeing the Special Pro curved myself. I'll give TT a try. 1.5#-2# is enough for me. Didn't know Jewel went out of business. Wondered if they were making triggers for Zelinsky or got Coviditis.

The Timney bolt release is not stuck. It's just built so sloppy it doesn't travel far enough vertically to fully engage the release even when removed from the stock.

Remington obviously just threw it in the box without any QA. I cleaned metal shavings out of the action from when they drilled the rear scope mount holes.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/08/24
You put a TT Diamond on a factory 700 action you risk slam fires, TT even recommends DONT put one on a 700.
I agree with drop point on the rifle basix.
One day I gotta try a Bix tac pro.
Posted By: BangPop Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/12/24
Bix & Andy Tac Sport Pro. Timney, TT and Jewell aren't comparable to the B&A. Same price as the TT Diamond but a better trigger.
Posted By: Rapier Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/20/24
Jard makes a 4oz/3# single set 700 trigger. Their single set triggers are hand made. The two I have are good single sets.
Posted By: ToddNEWY Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/21/24
You might want to download the instructions for the Timney trigger and make sure it is installed correctly. The bolt release is a little tricky, I helped dad put a timney trigger in his model 700 and we had to take it back out and redo it because we were off just a little the first time and the bolt release wouldn’t work.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/21/24
When replacing a factory trigger with an after market trigger often the dimensions of the trigger assembly will be different. It sounds like in your case the bolt release lever is binding with the stock. You’re likely going to have to remove some material, whether it be walnut or synthetic material.

I don’t know of any issues with the Timney triggers.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/21/24
Odds are somebody messed up the install. Either the lever that slides along the trigger housing is binding on the side of the stock, or the spring isn’t properly installed, or the release lever itself has been scored while driving the trigger pin through.

Timmy triggers ain’t the problem, and replacing the trigger isn’t addressing the problem.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/27/24
This
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Odds are somebody messed up the install. Either the lever that slides along the trigger housing is binding on the side of the stock, or the spring isn’t properly installed, or the release lever itself has been scored while driving the trigger pin through.

Timmy triggers ain’t the problem, and replacing the trigger isn’t addressing the problem.

This

Arnold Jewel died
His kid has run the company into the ground.
My Timneys are amazing. I had one rifle that was having misfires but i sent it to Dan Armstrong Ave he Retimed the bolt. It's perfect now
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/27/24
Bix and Andy. They take abuse and can be taken apart to be cleaned. I like the Trigger tech diamond but the Bix is better.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/27/24
LOVE my trigger tech...
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/27/24
Originally Posted by ingwe
LOVE my trigger tech...
x2.

Have 1 installed and another waiting on the shelf. Need to pick up another when someone runs a holiday special.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 700 bolt release issue - 01/27/24
I like my TT very much. I had to shave a tiny bit of the stock to get it to fit. About 20 seconds of effort.
Breaks clean and all but I do wish the safety was more crisp feeling. It slides on and off too effortlessly for my taste.
I chose to order a new TT Special because I was too irritated to send the rifle back. Once I received the new TT I didn't have anything to lose so I worked on the Timney bolt release slide with needle nose pliers and finally got it to work but it was sloppy. If Remington would have done this before they shipped it, I would not have ordered another trigger.

Still irritated, I decided to install the TT anyway. A slight adjustment with the needle nose pliers per the instructions and it worked flawlessly. I'm sticking with the TT because the safety is smooth and crisp compared to the Timney. The TT bolt release feels much better with less slack and the trigger pull feels smoother to me.

Remington and Timney need to step up their game. Name brand alone doesn't cut it anymore. Maybe I'll change my mind if the rifle punches a hole but it needs to warm up and stop blowing snow before I find out.
© 24hourcampfire