Home
I am intersted in for long range shooting, past 300 yards out to 1,000yards. I have a stainlss action, Ruger with a 27", Stainlss, Apex, Match Grade, Gain-twist, tapered bull barrell.

Other choices I have to consider for L-Range: 700/VSSF/308, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H. and I could have a custom barrel replace the factory barrel.

Where I hunt it is open and across wind swept valleys. With no hands on experience at LRshooting I think my 338 would be somewhat ideal: heavy bullet 200 grains+, with good Ballistic Coefficient approaching 3,000fps...

Your thoughts are valued!
338 RUM/Edge 300 grainers....
Rost, what do you think of the .338 Lapua? Just looking for some input. Thanks.
R.
Are you shooting long range or hunting long range? Title said shooting but post seems more related to hunting.
7wsm with 180 bergers
Like the Edge idea.
300 RUM with Berger 190 or 210 VLD's
300 RUM Shooting 210gr Bergers out of a 30 inch barrel
458 Win Mag with a 450gr bullet! crazy grin
338 Lapua or 7mm STW.
Originally Posted by rooster711
Are you shooting long range or hunting long range? Title said shooting but post seems more related to hunting.

Hunting.
you also need to determine how much shooting you are going to do and how much you want to spend, the lapua is nice but cost more $$ to shoot compared to a rum varation.

also what are you going to be shooting???

were it me i would get a .308 and practice practice practice then up grade to a bigger gun
My .338 Allen Magnum 300 grain SMK at 3400 fps at the muzzle = 3200 pounds of energy at 1000 yards now that�s some whoop azz and only 16.25 MOA to get there. grin

Or my 270 Allen Magnum shooting 195�s at 3150 at the muzzle = 2001 pounds of energy at 1000 yards and only takes 19.25 MOA to get there not to shabby ether. crazy

Having Kirby build me a .338 based on 270 AM which is based of the 300 Ultra mag should be around 75 to a 100 fps faster than the Edge.cool
How heavy of a rifle are you willing to tote into the game fields? When you look at portable rifles, recoil is such that a good 6.5mm or 7mm is hard to beat. The hot 30's and 338's have their place, but one has to either compromise on recoil or weight, and going too light makes it tough to place those shots way out there. The 375 is a no go due to lack of appropriate bullets.
7mm STW Savage model 112 FVSS Factory everyhting Millet 6X25X56 scope shooting .83" at three hundred yards but have only killed paper.
6.5/378 Weatherby mag shooting 160 grainers out of a 32" barrel.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
How heavy of a rifle are you willing to tote into the game fields? When you look at portable rifles, recoil is such that a good 6.5mm or 7mm is hard to beat. The hot 30's and 338's have their place, but one has to either compromise on recoil or weight, and going too light makes it tough to place those shots way out there. The 375 is a no go due to lack of appropriate bullets.

amen on all of that
Originally Posted by Tom264
6.5/378 Weatherby mag shooting 160 grainers out of a 32" barrel.

That's funny right there....

Weight will not be a problem since I plan on 'laying-in-wait' to actually snipe. Recoil is not a concern of mine...I've shot my 338 with a t-shirt on and my Ruger 338 with the Apex barrel at 27" and a tappered bull recoils like my 20ga. As for the 375H&H...many moons ago I read an article about using different dia-bullet by running them thru a lyman resizer: 35 resized down to .338, shoulda kept the article; it also told how to load when downsizing...
Originally Posted by luckeme

Weight will not be a problem since I plan on 'laying-in-wait' to actually snipe. Recoil is not a concern of mine...I've shot my 338 with a t-shirt on and my Ruger 338 with the Apex barrel at 27" and a tappered bull recoils like my 20ga. As for the 375H&H... many moons ago I read an article about using different dia-bullet by running them thru a lyman resizer: 338 resized down to .35 ,, shoulda kept the article; it also told how to load when downsizing...

How is that even possible, a 338 bullet is already smaller in diamenter than a 35 cal.

My 338 Laupa built on a M-700 Action with a 30" ABS barrel and 5.5X22X50 NXS all up 11.6 pounds

[Linked Image]
[quote=jwp475
How is that even possible, a 338 bullet is already smaller in diamenter than a 35 cal.

had the numbers reversed...

Originally Posted by BCSteve
458 Win Mag with a 450gr bullet! crazy grin
My favorite too grin SLMFAO
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by luckeme

Weight will not be a problem since I plan on 'laying-in-wait' to actually snipe. Recoil is not a concern of mine...I've shot my 338 with a t-shirt on and my Ruger 338 with the Apex barrel at 27" and a tappered bull recoils like my 20ga. As for the 375H&H... many moons ago I read an article about using different dia-bullet by running them thru a lyman resizer: 338 resized down to .35 ,, shoulda kept the article; it also told how to load when downsizing...

My 338 Laupa built on a M-700 Action with a 30" ABS barrel and 5.5X22X50 NXS all up 11.6 pounds

[Linked Image]

Sweet rifle.Know of a good load for ya.......grin [Linked Image]
I love the 338 edge watch the red mist at 1200yds.
50BMG :GRIN:
Originally Posted by carmicle

The red mist from what...?

Dober
50 sure makes hitting past 1000 much easier! Not impressed with the impacts on game though.

Jeff
The 375 is a no go due to lack of appropriate bullets.

Isnt someone (Sierra?) bring out something in the 350gr range for the .375?
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by carmicle

The red mist from what...?

Dober

typo mark, should have read: dang it Ted! you missed.
i either carry a 308 norma mag or 7mmstw
Lots of 7 STW fans. What's the barrel life like on those bad boys?

-jeff
Jeff the first one I had the barrel was Chrome Molly and was gone at 1000 rounds.
Youch! That'd hurt. That's about when I start to get cozy with a rifle!

-jeff
© 24hourcampfire