Home
Posted By: Tim M 338 LM weight - 08/16/09
for those who have shot them, whats a minimum "all-in" weight for a hunting rifle in 338 lapua? weight would also need to be enough to make extended amounts of range work possible.

thanks

boomer
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 338 LM weight - 08/16/09
Are you talking about a particular rifle or a custom build?

Of course you can build a lightweight or heavyweight rifle -with or without a muzzlebreak.
Plus all up weights will depend on scope/stock/barrel too many variables -also a 300gr. bullet will recoil heavier than a 225gr. bullet.
All in all to shoot a 338lm for extended range sessions you will need a break.
Not much help but i threw somethings out there to think about -good luck on a spectacular cartridge !-Mike
Posted By: Bater Re: 338 LM weight - 08/16/09
all I can tell ya is a 8.50lba(all up) XCR in 338RUM hurts much...I hate breaks, but might go that route. I'd rather break a "hunting" rifle rather than toting a heavy one.

Brett
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 338 LM weight - 08/16/09
Originally Posted by hunter5325
all I can tell ya is a 8.50lba(all up) XCR in 338RUM hurts much...I hate breaks, but might go that route. I'd rather break a "hunting" rifle rather than toting a heavy one.

Brett

---------------------------------------------------------------
Yep -A lightweight rifle with a break gets more performance from a break than a heavy rifle does..
Posted By: Tim M Re: 338 LM weight - 08/16/09
i guess what i'm wondering is how heavy would you want a 338 LM in order to enjoy shooting it at the range for practice or competition and still be feasible as a long range hunting rig.

I haven't shot one but looking at the numbers i would think you'd be talking somewhere in the area of 13 pounds. Certainly not a lightweight but possible. much lighter and it seems that any type of range work would be short and that would be a shame with a round like that. was hoping we maybe had a few people who might be able to add some input.

i would imagine a 300 rum is VERY ugly at 8.5
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: 338 LM weight - 08/16/09
My first .340 was right at 8.25 with Conetrols and a 3-10 Leo. I had a 4.5 weight Schneider on it cut to 23" and I used for a lot of chucks and pds and yotes. Spose with a sling and rounds it was close to 8.5 lbs.

As a hunt rig I'd not want it anymore than 9 lbs at most all up (scope, sling, rounds). I'd want a stock that was in the 27-30 oz range at most and the mzl dia somewhere between .65" and .7" at the most.

No way no how would I do a break on it but I would go for magnaporting on it.

Personally I'd do a RUM or a .340 b4 I did the Lapua but that's just me.

Best of luck to ya

Dober
Posted By: splattermatic Re: 338 LM weight - 08/16/09
i'm shooting a 9.2 pound all up n runnin 338 rum. it shooting 250 grain sierra game kings at 3052 fps.
mine has a brake, and the last time out 33 rounds went down range. one of the most comfortable rifles i own.

my friend shoots a lm, same speed and with a much heavier rifle and knox comp stock.
it's brutal to say the least. no brake.

as much as i hate em as well, i don't think if recoil being equal, i would want to shoot but a few rounds without the brake on my rum.

Posted By: Rman Re: 338 LM weight - 08/17/09
I too am dead set against brakes, but in most cases, a sub ten pounder in a super mag benefits greatly by having a proper brake installed. If you are going to do it, do it right with a screw on multi chambered brake. I have not yet shot a .338 LM, by have done some with a RUM in an 11 pound package with and without brake. Night and Day for sure.

R.
Posted By: Jim the Plumber Re: 338 LM weight - 08/26/09
Mine is 15.5#'s. I really don't have a problem hiking around with it as long as my hiking is 1-2 miles. Muzzle BRAKE or shoulder surgery, arthritis, detached retina, back and neck injuries, hmmm I'll take the noise and wear the ear protection hunting thank you.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: 338 LM weight - 08/27/09
I shot a LM at 12 pounds without a brake and it was tolerable for hunting but when putting the time in with it at the range it became abusive. Adding a defensive edge brake made a 30-40 round practice secession or match no problem.

Personally I find all of the big magnums so abusive on the ears to begin with that a properly designed brake does not seem to make it much worse for the shooter. If your a spotter do not get in the wedge between the shooters shoulder and the muzzle, you will get hammered.
Posted By: cowkiller Re: 338 LM weight - 08/30/09
I have an early G.Mcmillan in .340 wby. it has a brake. It is an 8.5lb rifle all up. I do not care for the brake at all. I can however shoot it all day. It is loud as hell! people move away at the range.
I have 7.5 lb all up custom encore in .340 as well and it will literally pound the snot out of you. However I can carry it all day. I use a lead sled for sighting in and load testing and then its all offhand or sticks. It is a hunting rifle. For me a little pounding is worth the benefit of a lighter weight rifle.
For extended range work I would go for a 10-12lb. rifle so you could take it afield like to a set up or stand.

I don't think you can have both without a brake.
© 24hourcampfire