Home
Posted By: Badley Number of Barrel Groves - 03/20/11
This is a post from Long Range Hunting fourm that was made by Kirby Allen. I have read several of his post about barrel groves. I have read that with j4 jacketed bullets the 3 groove barrels create excessive pressure on the bullet itself causing them to come apart before reaching the target.

Have any of yall had similar experince with 3 groove barrels. He did state this occured in fast twist barrels shooting heavy j4 jacket bullets at over 3200 fps. I am only looking to shoot 7mm 168gr bergers at 3000 fps in a 1-9 twist. Should I go 4 groove instead?

Overthinker...Out.

Originally Posted by Fiftydriver;222202
I have used 3 groove barrels in my high velocity wildcats in 25 cal, 6.5mm, 270 cal and 7mm extensively.

I have not had one that was a bad copper fouler but I have heard some are. I would say I have used roughly 12 of these barrels in the different calibers listed above in velocities up to 4100 fps in the 25 cal and 4250 fps in the 6.5mm barrels.

I am familiar with Bill Baileys rifle and agree it was much more of a fouler then I have experienced with my personal barrels and tests.

That said, I have seen this with every different barrel design out there, every once in a while some will just foul more. I had a Lilja 1-8 30 cal barrel that you could shoot 5 shots through and have 3 cents worth of copper in the barrel after those shots.

Called up Dan and asked him what the problem was. He said to return the barrel and they would check it and relap it if needed. Got the barrel back and its working perfectly well not so things happen every once in a while even with top end barrels.

As far as what you can expect, here are a few things I have learned testing these barrels. Most of these have been fast twist barrels so it may not pertain to your situtation with the 1-15 twist.

- Barrel life is longer. Roughly 15-18% longer compared to a traditional 6 groove barrel. Roughly 10-12% longer then 5 groove barrels and around 8-10% longer then 4 groove. That being all barrels made from the same material and hardness. Some of the harder cut rifled barrels will last longer then save groove count button pulled barrels so you have to compare apples to apples.

- I have not noticed much difference in accuracy with a 3, 4, 5 or 6 groove barrel when all are fitted and chambered properly and the barrel is of top quality.

- I have noticed that the 3 groove barrels are much harder on thin jacketed bullets. Again, this is for heavy VLD or ULD bullets in fast twist barrels. I do not think you will have these issues but if you use a J-4 based bullet, you may have some problems no matter what twist you use with those velocities.

- I have seen some 3 groove barrels produce a bit more velocity then other rifling designs and some a bit less. I have tested them head to head with the 5R and 5S barrels and can tell you that for the three barrels I tested, the Lilja 3 groove produced the least amount of pressure for a given load using the same chamber, throat, bullet and load and barrel length. In fact a comfortable load in the Lilja was leaving a shiny ejector mark on the 5S barrel. All in all, variations from one barrel to another will effect velocity potential to a higher degree then the number of lands in the barrel, especially with conventional cup jacketed bullets. Now with hard bullets thats a different story.

If I am building a rifle for high velocity using very long, very heavy VLD or ULD bullets in a fast twist barrel, I will not use the 3 groove barrels any more simply because of their high baring surface compression % which is just to hard on these bullets and in time you will have problems.

For those types of rifles I will generally use a 4 groove barrel with BSC % in the 20% range and no more.

For conventional chamberings or with very light weight bullets, its not nearly as critical.

All in all, there is not a huge difference between these barrel designs. Break them in well and on average they will behave like any other top end barrel. Of course there is always a chance of a bad barrel but thats the case with any barrel maker.

What bullet will you be using?

Originally Posted by Fiftydriver;273966
I had to rebarrel 16, 7mm Allen Magnum rifles on my dime for just this reason. They were the original batch of rifles designed to shoot the 200 gr ULD RBBT wildcat bullets.

Every one of them shot amazingly well until they hit from 200-300 rounds down the barrel. Then it was like a switch was flipped and the rifles went from 1/4 to 1/3 moa rifles to having 50 to 100% of the bullets coming apart in flight.

That said, these were being loaded to a velocity of 3200-3350 fps with the 200 gr ULD RBBT bullets. After this occured, nearly every rifle still shot very well the 160 gr Accubond bullets loaded from 3400-3550 fps.

Obviously this is higher velocity levels then you will be dealing with so that may help you dramatically.

Also, I have found that the 180 gr Berger will take slightly more abuse then the 200 gr ULD RBBT. The reason is because the 200 gr bullets were made on 30 cal J-4 jackets that were reduced in diameter to work with the 7mm bore size. This certainly work hardened the jacket and this may also be the reason for the bullet failures once the barrels got 200-300 rounds down the barrel.

I will say that in my testing, the Berger 180 gr VLDs shot very well in most of these barrels as long as they were shot at velocities under 3300 fps on average..

That said, with the VERY fast twist which is much more then needed for either of these bullets, once the barrels get some wear on them and the throat roughens up, you may start seeing some issues but I suspect at the velocity range you are at you will not see this nearly as soon as the 7mm AMs did.

The cure was pretty simple, go to a 1-9, 4 groove barrel or a thin land Rock 1-8.7 5R barrel which seem to solve all the problem.

I have a 7mm AM that has a Lilja 1-9, 6 groove and it was tearing 200 gr ULD RBBT apart and last weekend I tested the 180 gr Berger in it and they shot very well, at least for a barrel with the number of bullets this one has down it, roughly 800 rounds.

Again, I would suspect you will see problems MUCH farther down the road then we did and possibly you may never see a problem before the barrel is ready to be replaced.

Posted By: rost495 Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/20/11
I run 3 groove Pac Nor exclusively when shooting 90 jlks in my 223 match guns.

I don't run them mild but the 223 doesn't allow tons of speed IE 2700ish with the 90.
JLKs were using J4 jackets. Never had one come apart.

I don't know either, could be barrel dimensions or could be 4 groove vs 3 groove, but the 4 groove Kriegers would never let you get to the same speed as teh 3 groove pac nors.

IMHO the 3 groove makes sense, simply because its not land opposing land and groove opposing groove so should be easier on the bullet as a whole.

This in a 6.5 twist to boot which ain't a slow twist in 223......

Anyway, I don't discount anything Kirby says, he has more time downrange with them than I do, unless only dealing with 223.

I also have a couple of 5 groove tubes... I don't have any issues with them, and would assume, simply by groove/land diameter, there should be less jacket stress there too....
Posted By: toad Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/20/11
i'm runnin' a couple of Lilja 3 groove, 1-8" .264 Win barrels with no complaints.
I completely agree with what Kirby Allen is saying, I have had the same thing happen several times. In my experience the Pac-Nor 3groove is worse than the Lilja 3groove.
rost495 uses them in 223's (I have also) with no problem, but the faster the twist and the larger the case capacity the worse the problem is.
Just one example (of many) I have a 6mm-284 with a Pac-Nor 28" 1-8"twist 3groove barrel, when doing initial load developement I tried the 105gr A-Max the 105gr VLD Berger and the 107gr SMK. I never had even 1 of the A-Max bullets ever make it to target, I used the 105gr VLD Berger for about 400 rounds until they started blowing up also then had to switch to the 107gr SMK (much tougher jacket) for the rest of the barrel's life.

After I did the initial load developement I took the rifle back to my gunsmith and he sent the barrel back to Chris at Pac-Nor and he said it looked great......right.

Since you are only looking to shoot "7mm 168gr berger's at 3000 fps in a 1-9 twist" you will be fine, the problem would most likely start if you were trying to push the 180 gr berger down a 1-8" twist at 3200fps (more velocity and longer bearing surface).
JMHO after owning 10-11 (cant remember for sure on one rifle)I dont see ANY advantage of the 3groove barrel's only dis-advantages.
Originally Posted by toad
i'm runnin' a couple of Lilja 3 groove, 1-8" .264 Win barrels with no complaints.

Then you must not have tried the 140gr VLD Berger or dont have many rounds down the tube yet
Originally Posted by rost495

IMHO the 3 groove makes sense, simply because its not land opposing land and groove opposing groove so should be easier on the bullet as a whole.

Could not dis-agree more, I was at a benchrest match a while back and on the equipment list not one 3groove in the bunch and about 90%+ were 4 groove barrel's.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/20/11
Pass the 3-grooves and hold the rest.....................
Posted By: keith Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/20/11
I made benchrest bullets for a long time and I have shot many, many thousands of 22 and 243 dia in three groove Pac Nor and Lilja's in 22/250 AI's, 6/250 AI's, 243 AI's, 244 AI's, 257Weatherby, and 7 STW's.

In my experience, the three groove barrels are faster and easier to clean.

I know that Kirby is very experienced and never discount what he is saying...there may be another answer.

When I was making benchrest bullets, there were some lot# of jackets that were very different from other lot#, I always had to do quality control on the jackets.

Another issue is if there was a screw up at the foundry when the lead wire was being made for the cores. We found that putting %5 tin in the cores made the cores much harder and resisted the boat tails caving in. If the foundry mis marked a pallet of lead wire, it would explain the bullets disappearing(boat tails cave in).

Rockchuck, when I was shooting benchrest, the popular saying was that if a guy won a match with a wheel attached to his rifle that every shooter would start putting various type of wheels on their rifles...as a general rule of thumb, benchrest shooters are like elephants with their tails tied together.

Gene Harwood, past Pres. of NBRSA was a friend, and he would be the first to tell you the wheel story. Gene on the other hand was not a follow the leader type.

Also, there could be a issue with long VLD type bullets, I shot 105's in a 6PPC, other than that, I have no experience with the long-heavy for the caliber VLD's in any caliber.
Posted By: Badley Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/20/11
Thanks for the info and confidence boost in my 3 groove choice.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/20/11
Personally I can see that more grooves simply would not damage a bullet as much as fewer, but thats just a supposition.

I fall more and more in love with 5R the more I shoot those tubes too.

Originally Posted by keith
there could be a issue with long VLD type bullets, I have no experience with the long-heavy for the caliber VLD's in any caliber.

Originally Posted by Badley

I am missing something, what would give you a confidence boost in a 3 groove?
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
There has been too much internet chatter on the issues that Kirby experienced for it to be just idle talk, personally I would go 5R a much safer and popular choice!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
I've got 'em all.

Pass the 3-groove..................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've got 'em all.

I'll Pass on the 3-groove..................

Fixed it for ya!
Imagination is all you've got and it's sumptin' to behold.

Pardon my not being forced to guess...it's how I roll..................
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
The last three groove I tried started destroying VLDs at the 150rnd point. (140s at 3250)

3s might work great for some things but VLDs at speed is not their strong point.

Hard to see any advantage over 5s or 6s for me.
Who's barrel?..................
Proprietary. laugh
You mean Imaginary................
You mean Imaginary................

Nope laugh
Lotsa 3-grooved 8" in these parts,whistling wares at 3500fps,less any "issue".

Thus the penchant to procure more of same.................

Posted By: toad Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
142 SMKs hold up to 3 groove/8" twist/3250 just fine for steel or paper

140 Amaxes also survive the trip at like speeds and kill stuff.

130 SS IIs hold up to 3 grooves @ 3300 and also kill stuff

130 Barnes TSX hold up to anything

You boys is gonna talk me into a 3-groover yet....................(grin)
it's a crap shoot according to the innernet
Seems a strange lack of fellows using the 3s with the j4 VLDs?

Anybody????
Lotsa Berger's being flung via 3-grooves,by folks who actually shoot.

Which of course skews things.................

i'll try to remember to grab a box next time i order stuff... smile
Who??
Them with a clue,which puts you well shy of the ranks.

But it's funny.

Hell...I even hear they's sweet in a 257Wby............
i'll try to remember to grab a box next time i order stuff... smile

Would love to hear your personal experiences as mine have been less than spectacular.

I don�t have anything against the 3 groove on a personal level just that I have seen problems with them with the VLDs and have had great luck with 5 an 6 grooves with the VLD.

Seems to be a lack of guys who like 3s and also shoot the VLDs.

Lil Fish excluded. Oh wait he doesn't shoot VLDs so never mind. laugh laugh
Your Imagination is acting up.

Again..................
Posted By: Badley Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

I am missing something, what would give you a confidence boost in a 3 groove?

This bit of information was helpful. Im not planning on pushing the envelope on fps.

Since you are only looking to shoot "7mm 168gr berger's at 3000 fps in a 1-9 twist" you will be fine, the problem would most likely start if you were trying to push the 180 gr berger down a 1-8" twist at 3200fps (more velocity and longer bearing surface).
Posted By: Badley Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
Mr. Burns,

Have you found the 3 grove lacking with the 168's around 3000 fps? I was under the impression you favored the 180's. I may try those someday, but will not be near aproaching the 3200fps window, more likely the 2800fps area. You input is appreciated.
Mr. Burns,

Have you found the 3 grove lacking with the 168's around 3000 fps? I was under the impression you favored the 180's. I may try those someday, but will not be near aproaching the 3200fps window, more likely the 2800fps area. You input is appreciated.

Bradley,

I have only worked with 2 3 groove barrels.

One was a 264 Win Mag and we run 140gr VLDs at 3250fps. This barrel shot OK (sub 1/2 MOA) but was not really a great gun and then it started missing paper at 100yds at the 150 rnd point. I actually got a full profile bullet hole (Keyhole) at 100yds with this barrel.

I also have messed with a 3 groove 243 Win and it would not shoot VLDs after 200rnd it would still shoot other 105s and 107s but not the VLDs with the J4 jackets.

I am personally done working with the 3 grooves because there seems to be no advantage and there is a very distinct disadvantage if you want to shoot the best LR bullets available.

I don�t think there is any barrel maker that will guarantee their 3 groove will actually out shoot their 5 or 6 groove so for me why keep messing with something that has never worked as well as the 5 or 6 groove.

I am not recommending a particular manufacturer as I think everyone who offers 3s will also do a 6 so why not choose the one that always works with all bullets?

John
Posted By: BradArnett Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
I'll let you guys know how the 3 groove/vld's work for me. My 25-06AI is a 3 groove and I'm going to run 115VLD's in it. I'll likely be in the 3300fps range so I'll be sure and keep track as to when/if they start coming apart.
Originally Posted by BradArnett
I'll let you guys know how the 3 groove/vld's work for me. My 25-06AI is a 3 groove and I'm going to run 115VLD's in it. I'll likely be in the 3300fps range so I'll be sure and keep track as to when/if they start coming apart.

thanks Brad,

I really hope it works for you.
3-groove 223AI's,22-250AI's,243AI's,6-06AI's,25-06AI's,257Wby's,280AI's,7Remmies,7Whizzums abound throughout The Gang.

If there was sumptin' better,I'd be driving it...............

3-groove 223AI's,22-250AI's,243AI's,6-06AI's,25-06AI's,257Wby's,280AI's,7Remmies,7Whizzums abound throughout The Gang.

If there was sumptin' better,I'd be driving it...............

I suspect you are doing the best you can right now.

Bravo laugh
Posted By: hangunnr Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Would love to hear your personal experiences as mine have been less than spectacular.

Boy, if that don't say it all. Thanks for the chuckle...

hangunnr
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Mr. Burns,

Bradley,

I have only worked with 2 3 groove barrels.

One was a 264 Win Mag and we run 140gr VLDs at 3250fps. This barrel shot OK (sub 1/2 MOA) but was not really a great gun and then it started missing paper at 100yds at the 150 rnd point. I actually got a full profile bullet hole (Keyhole) at 100yds with this barrel.

I also have messed with a 3 groove 243 Win and it would not shoot VLDs after 200rnd it would still shoot other 105s and 107s but not the VLDs with the J4 jackets.

I am personally done working with the 3 grooves because there seems to be no advantage and there is a very distinct disadvantage if you want to shoot the best LR bullets available.

I don�t think there is any barrel maker that will guarantee their 3 groove will actually out shoot their 5 or 6 groove so for me why keep messing with something that has never worked as well as the 5 or 6 groove.

I am not recommending a particular manufacturer as I think everyone who offers 3s will also do a 6 so why not choose the one that always works with all bullets?

John

Exactly!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
What would it be that would cause a rifle to start puking bullets at the 150- or 200-round mark, and not right off the bat?

Just curious.
Posted By: FVA Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/21/11
Originally Posted by smokepole
What would it be that would cause a rifle to start puking bullets at the 150- or 200-round mark, and not right off the bat?

Just curious.

Heat checking.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/22/11
Heat checking causes more friction in the bore?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/22/11
ITs like taking it from "smooth" asphalt to a gravel road more or less.

Its funny though, most of the time barrels finally start to shoot well at a couple hundred rounds down the tube.

And this is the time of the reported blowups.
Heat checking causes more friction in the bore?

I think you are starting to pick up on it......

A 3 groove has wider lands as well as wider grooves, when the firecracking starts it is much more abrasive with the wider land than with a narrower land of a 4,5,or 6 groove. with a nonolithic bullet it is not much of a problem because at times they wont expand on anything (unless you are a myopic barnes user).
The J4 jacket is softer (the Hornady V-Max and A-Max jacket is even softer still).
As I stated on the first page the faster the twist and the bigger the case capacity the bigger the problem. 223Rem 1-6.5" twist 3groove 75-90gr VLD bullets will shoot fine, change that to a 22-284 1-6.5" twist 3groove and you will have a hard time getting one to target unless it is a solid. with a 5or 6 groove they will still shoot without blow-up
Posted By: smokepole Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/22/11
Well, I won't be running any of those bullets at the speeds quoted, but I will be getting a 6.5-06 Improved back soon, and want to shoot the Bergers in it. I had considered a 3-groove, got a couple more weeks to make up my mind.

You'd think something like UBC would take care of heat checking, anybody tried that after 200 rounds?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/22/11
I dont' think you could build up enough layers to fill in the checking, but OTOH any filling should help some.

If I were going a hot little round kinda like yours, I'd sure go 5 groove IMHO.
Posted By: FVA Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/22/11
I don't have first hand experience with the issue but did research it before building a couple fast twists.
You have people that say it is no issue to people having issue any where from 300-800 rounds in that they experience the bullet coming apart before loss of accuracy where it previously wasn't a issue.
I have seen some talk of single base powders burning cooler coupled with a good throat short scrubbing with JB bore paste after shooting sessions as helping hold off such issues.
Obviously bullet choice is going to be a big part as to if it becomes a issue and really only in large for bore cartridges.
FWIW.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/22/11
I don't see any reason to take a chance, you don't hear any negative chatter on 4,5,6 groove barrels, if you want a little extra speed go 5R there supposed to be a little faster, and they clean easier too, 3 groove tubes have not proven to be anymore accurate than any of the other groove configurations, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/24/11
Talked to Casey form Pacnor a couple days ago, we didn't talk about 3- vs. 5-grooves but he persuaded me to go with a slower twist (9) than I originally thought I needed and I decided on the 5-groove.

He says he and some others were getting really good results with the 9-twist and 140's in a variety of 6.5s, up to the .264 magnum.
Posted By: toad Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/24/11
my 1-9" twist would not stabilize the 142 SMK but would shoot the less aerodynamic 140 SMK fine. that told me it was right on the edge, not where i like to be.

i've been hamstrung by slow twists enough that i don't budge. i'll never order another .224" or .264" barrel slower than 8". the 'that's what the benchrest boys like' or 'you'll loose velocity' arguments don't wash. i'm not shooting for aggs in the single digits in the second decimal place, and the velocity loss due to twist rate is lost in the background noise of other factors affecting velocity...

i don't have a 6.5-'06, but i'd guess you'll be near .264 speeds. at those speeds, you will not want to dick around trying a bunch of different bullets and looking for 'nodes', else you'll burn up a bunch of barrel life before ever settling on a load. my suggestion is to try a bullet you can easily get that also fills your needs seated to the lands over IMR 7828 (work up to pressure signs your comfey with), and if that load works run with it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/24/11
And... what if ya get a good load at 80 and its -10 when you need it to work....
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/24/11
Talked to Casey form Pacnor a couple days ago, we didn't talk about 3- vs. 5-grooves but he persuaded me to go with a slower twist (9) than I originally thought I needed and I decided on the 5-groove.

He says he and some others were getting really good results with the 9-twist and 140's in a variety of 6.5s, up to the .264 magnum.

Smokepole,

What's their thinking, favoring 9 over 8.5 or 8 twist?

DF
Posted By: smokepole Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/24/11
Well, I don't want to put words in his mouth, but basically they had very good results with 140 Bergers and a variety of .264s so a faster twist is not needed.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/24/11
an inch faster twist has never hurt any firearm I've ever had built. Of course I have not demanded BR type accuracy in the zeros or ones... but I do demand .5 moa and prefer as close to .25 moa as I can get if possible.

The problem I just see is that its hard to overstabilize if thats even a word, but if you have almost enough, but not quite... you can't fix that easily or cheaply.

Per Toads report... I'd say it would be too close to the edge of stability for me too.
Talked to Pacnor

This is part of the problem, talk with other barrel maker's. for your combo of a 6.5-06 wanting to shoot 140gr VLD Berger's my minimum twist would be a 1- 8.5" with a minimum of 4 grooves.......in this senario my first choice would be a Krieger.
Posted By: FVA Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/24/11
and the velocity loss due to twist rate is lost in the background noise of other factors affecting velocity...

I not only agree with this statement but don't think a fast twist rate slows down possible velocity at all. Can't remember where but I once saw some pressure data that didn't show pressure spikes due to twist. Mainly the initial engraving regardless of twist.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/25/11
.......in this senario my first choice would be a Krieger.

Then by all means, when you order your barrel, make it a Krieger.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/25/11
my 1-9" twist would not stabilize the 142 SMK but would shoot the less aerodynamic 140 SMK fine. that told me it was right on the edge, not where i like to be.

Well, hearing that some have not had 140s stabilize in a 9 twist does give me pause, and I still have a couple weeks before they get to my barrel, thanks for the input, always good to hear first-hand accounts like this.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/25/11
Better to be safe than sorry.... go 8"
Posted By: smokepole Re: Number of Barrel Groves - 03/28/11
That's what I ended up with. Thanks all.
© 24hourcampfire