Home
Posted By: scenarshooter 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/13/11
[Linked Image]

I got out and shot two five shot strings on the big flange that sendero man and cinch left for me...we nicknamed this thing the monster. It was pretty nice out there this morning with a steady breeze from the northeast at about 10 mph. From 635 meters, I held off .5 mils for drift. Should have held .4.

[Linked Image]

Went back to 920 meters(1005 yards)and fired another five...this time I held off 1.2 mils. Notice how the bullets from 635 dug into the steel a lot deeper than the hits at 920.

Rifle and load: Surgeon 591, 6XC. 4-16X50 S&B PMII.
115gr Berger VLD @ 3000 fps.

Someday I'll get out there when its calm.....that will feel like cheating!!....grin!
Posted By: aalf Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/13/11
Cool....

I could never get those 115's to work as expected in a couple of different tubes,

although they were 6-284's.....
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/13/11
Nice shootin Pat cool
Well done Pat, looks like Bruin Ruin to me.. wink

Speaking of which, check you later. Have a date with a monster chocolate..

Dober
Posted By: EddyBo Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by aalf
Cool....

I could never get those 115's to work as expected in a couple of different tubes,

although they were 6-284's.....

Alf I never had a problem getting them to work in 6x47s, just problems keeping them working. After a few hundred rounds down range I always started getting blowups.
Posted By: Cinch Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/13/11
Nice shootin', Pat! That 6XC of yours is one heck of a shooter! I'll have to give you a little bit of credit too...Laffin'
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/13/11
Looks like fun...nice shootin!
Is the plate around 20" or so?
Posted By: Rogue Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/14/11
Sweet banging, looks like a fun time.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/14/11
I want a rifle like Pat's in 6XC.....only lighter smile Great shooting, too!

Pat what twist is your barrel, that it does well with the 115's?
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bob, that barrel is a 1-7.5" 5R....Bartlein.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Looks like fun...nice shootin!
Is the plate around 20" or so?

We didnt measure it but that would be real close....the red circle is 4"..
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bob, that barrel is a 1-7.5" 5R....Bartlein.

Oh no! Mine's an 8 twist Bartlein....what do I do, shoot lighter bullets? grin

I wanted to use 105 Amax anyway.....no bigga deal I guess...

Thanks Pat!
Posted By: Eremicus Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/14/11
Man, you can sure call the wind. Looks like lots of practice in those results to me. E
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/14/11
115 DTACs?
I had many go some where other than paper in my 6xc at 1k. After 3 yrs, I pulled the barrel and went back to the 308.

No more lost bullets.
Posted By: SU35 Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/14/11
Pat, what advantage do you see going 6XC over the 243?
Ballistically, none.A little less velocity actually(100fps or so). Mechanically a bit. A little better barrel life too. It fits a short action better....as in you can use the long bullets and not seat deep into the powder collum. My 6XC is a Surgeon 591,(700 SA footprint)running AI mags. My COAL is 2.770" with 115 VLD's. The bottom end of the bearing surface is even with the neck/shoulder conjuntion...allowing me plenty of space to "chase the lands" as the the throat wears. No donut worries either..

Norma makes the brass for David Tubb and it has to be purchased through Superior Shooting Systems. I bought a lot of 500 from them and the quality has been excellent.

I'm kicking around Bob's idea of a lightweight XC....That would be a dynamite antelope/deer/coyote rifle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EddyBo Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
115 DTACs?
I had many go some where other than paper in my 6xc at 1k. After 3 yrs, I pulled the barrel and went back to the 308.

No more lost bullets.

Bergers. I have only lost a few dtacs and they were mostly in 6x284. I do not think I have lost a dtac at velocities less than 3200.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/15/11

I'm kicking around Bob's idea of a lightweight XC....That would be a dynamite antelope/deer/coyote rifle.

Pat that's why I want it...unfortunately for me, I get to spend more time on the range and on woodchucks than actual hunting for deer and stuff.....6XC seems it would fill that role nicely.
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/15/11
Great shooting Pat !!

If I remember, I measured the "monster" at 24"

Glad you like that thing, I didn't want to load it in my truck again by myself... Laffin' wink

That 6XC is a real joy to shoot. It has an amazingly smooth action... I think a light weight one in the 8.5 to 10 scoped would be incredible for the coyotes.

My 6x47L falls in that range and I love it ~!

Good luck on the Bear Hunt !
Posted By: SU35 Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/15/11
What about the 6.5 Creedmoor necked to 6mm?
Posted By: yobuck Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/15/11
that is some fine shooting.
im guessing your initials might be p.s.?
im the old guy from pa. who sent you the story.
had a fine trip to s.e. mont. last fall. planning another p d only trip for this year.
i read about the big shoot you had a few weeks back.
i assume this is the same gong plate?
i was going to question the scope used by john burns.
looked like a leupold to me.
none the less, he also shot very well and thats what counts.
the small cartridges are gaining popularity at the 1000 yd matches here also.
but not as much on windy days.
for hunting the opposite is true. most guys here are going bigger.

/
Posted By: aalf Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by SU35

It's case is still 1.920" long, basically the same as a 6XC.

There ain't really nothing new.....
Posted By: SU35 Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/15/11
That's what I thought, maybe easier for brass.
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/16/11
Very similar to the 6x47 Lapua

almost a ballistic twin ~!
Posted By: FVA Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/16/11
It fits a short action better....as in you can use the long bullets and not seat deep into the powder collum. My 6XC is a Surgeon 591,(700 SA footprint)running AI mags. My COAL is 2.770" with 115 VLD's. The bottom end of the bearing surface is even with the neck/shoulder conjuntion...allowing me plenty of space to "chase the lands" as the the throat wears. No donut worries either..

[Linked Image]

Switched my 260 Remington build to a 6.5 Creedmoor for those exact reasons.
Expecting a call from my smith anytime now.[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flinch Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/17/11
....I was thinking that gong was about 10" across laugh Flinch
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/17/11

Bob I think that is the 6XC...pretty sure.....
Posted By: SU35 Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/22/11
Yes,

6XC Brass -- Ready to Shoot with a .308-style Rim
New 6XC brass, ready to shoot out of the box, is available from Superior Shooting Systems. You don't have to worry about forming the cases out of .22-250 brass any more. The rim thickness is that of a 308 case (.049) so you won't need a different shellholder (.22-250 is .044" rim thickness).

The web specified for this case is similar to the .338 Lapua. This gives a much stronger back end as well as more uniform powder ignition. A Neco gauge on the web showed right at .002" runout on the body wall. The brass is much more affordable than Lapua or Norma brass. Prices for the Third Batch of 6XC brass are now $32 per hundred and $30 per thousand. Order from Superior Shooting Systems, (806) 323-9488. Incidentally, the Third Batch of brass is due in approximately 2 weeks (we will have hopefully filled all the backorders by the end of Nov.) The Third Batch of 6XC brass is approximately six points harder than Lapua (on the Knupe scale), which means that there will not be any stickiness at the top of the bolt lift.

Posted By: BradArnett Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/22/11
Nice rifle and nice shooting!
Posted By: slg888 Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/22/11
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Nice rifle and nice shooting!
+1
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 6XC...Going Long.. - 05/23/11
Yes,

6XC Brass -- Ready to Shoot with a .308-style Rim
New 6XC brass, ready to shoot out of the box, is available from Superior Shooting Systems. You don't have to worry about forming the cases out of .22-250 brass any more. The rim thickness is that of a 308 case (.049) so you won't need a different shellholder (.22-250 is .044" rim thickness).

The web specified for this case is similar to the .338 Lapua. This gives a much stronger back end as well as more uniform powder ignition. A Neco gauge on the web showed right at .002" runout on the body wall. The brass is much more affordable than Lapua or Norma brass. Prices for the Third Batch of 6XC brass are now $32 per hundred and $30 per thousand. Order from Superior Shooting Systems, (806) 323-9488. Incidentally, the Third Batch of brass is due in approximately 2 weeks (we will have hopefully filled all the backorders by the end of Nov.) The Third Batch of 6XC brass is approximately six points harder than Lapua (on the Knupe scale), which means that there will not be any stickiness at the top of the bolt lift.

That's pretty neat! I have heard the brass is great stuff.
© 24hourcampfire