Home
Thanks MD, for pointing me in the right direction with the 6.5-06. I settled on 60 grains of H-1000 and the 140 Berger at 3,050 (mine's Improved).

I put a different scope on it, and bore-sighted it at the range yesterday. Took three rounds to get it where I thought it should be at 100 for a 200-yd zero, and then these were the next three rounds at 200. Dialed it up through 300, 440, and 550 and back a few times, and it tracked good so I think I'm ready for pronghorn season:

[Linked Image]

The flyer must've been during a wind let-off.
Antelope are in trouble!
That looks like it will do!
You guys ALWAYS miss the coins...

Good shooting!
While I'm at least a "loony" as others, what does this this do that the 270 does not?
Shoot a .600 BC bullet.
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
You guys ALWAYS miss the coins...

Good shooting!

You must be new at this. The coin is there to hide the 4th and 5th rounds.
I'm gonna have to get a silver dollar for those pics... grin...

Lookin' good smokepole! Another crappy P-N <grin>...
Originally Posted by smokepole
Shoot a .600 BC bullet.

Berger 150 @ .531
Hornady interbond or SSt @ .525

pretty close

If Lapua ever makes a scenar in .277 that will certainly be over .600

What else you got?
Don't be fooled. That quarter is actually the size of a hub cap. grin
I can live with flyers like that. Looks like you've got it dialed-in nicely.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
While I'm at least a "loony" as others, what does this this do that the 270 does not?

It allows you to shoot something other than the damned 270.. grins....
Shoot a .600 BC bullet.

Berger 150 @ .531
Hornady interbond or SSt @ .525

pretty close

If Lapua ever makes a scenar in .277 that will certainly be over .600

What else you got?

Not that I need a justification, but velocity. How fast can you run the bullet that lags by 0.070?

Lapua does make a 123 Scenar for the 6.5 that has a similar BC to the rounds you listed, I can run it well over 3200.
If we are talking BC of the .277 vs .264?

Litz lists the 150g Berger VLD as the highest BC .277 bullet at 0.514.

He lists 16 bullets in .264 that have a BC higher that the best .277 bullet.

You can drop down 27g in .264 (123g Scenar/SMK with a BC of 0.519/0.509) and still match the best BC of the .277.

150g Berger VLD at 3000fps vs 140g Berger VLD at 3050 fps at 500 yards, 140g is 0.8 MOA flatter, 0.7 MOA less wind drift-10mph 90 degree, has 177 less fps and 142 less ft/lbs.

Again, just gack and nothing more. Ballistically, the .264 caliber makes a lot of sense. You have to decide if the .264 does something the .277 doesnt.
to make my charts match my trajectory I run the BC of the 140 berger to .7, this makes POI match POA to almost 1200 yards.
Thats in a 6.5 Gibbs running the 140 at 3160 fps using 62.7 gr of retumbo.
RR
Why is he shooting a 6.5-06?

Basically, because he wants too....
Nah, that's not it at all.

"Because it's there."
Great group !

Where do you get those coins the size of a hubcap. I could use them!!
Thanks MD, for pointing me in the right direction with the 6.5-06. I settled on 60 grains of H-1000 and the 140 Berger at 3,050 (mine's Improved).

I put a different scope on it, and bore-sighted it at the range yesterday. Took three rounds to get it where I thought it should be at 100 for a 200-yd zero, and then these were the next three rounds at 200. Dialed it up through 300, 440, and 550 and back a few times, and it tracked good so I think I'm ready for pronghorn season:

[Linked Image]

The flyer must've been during a wind let-off.

What barrel and length did you put on it?

Twist?
Pacnor 24" barrel, copied the M70 contour, 3-groove 8.5 twist.

The hell of it is though, I shot some 125 grain partitions for the first time yesterday and they grouped just as tightly as the 140 Bergers.

What's a guy to do?
Don't stress.

Ship it to me for a side by side with my 270 and I'll get it back to you in December?
...what does this this do that the 270 does not?

Not much, actually. But the 6.5, being a target caliber, has more bullets to choose from. I really like my 6.5-284, which is pretty close to the 6.5-06, probably a notch behind the improved version. I shoot 140 SST's at 2,950 fps.

From my observations, the .270 is a great hunters round, the 6.5 clones, more gun nut stuff. My 6.5-284 is more accurate than my buddy's .270, but out shooting game at long range, no real difference.

DF
Ship it to me for a side by side with my 270 and I'll get it back to you in December?

Sure thing. It's in the mail along with "the check."
Here is the difference between the .270 (on left) and the 6.5-284 (on right).

DF

[Linked Image]
DF Hoping you had an extreme quatering away shot to have blood that far back on the buck???

The 270 is plain boring....Ok I said it.
Shot was thru both lungs, bang/flop, DRT at about 200 yds. Both goats were gutted before the photos and that's the blood you're seeing. Not the best way to take pictures, but we're sticklers on preserving the meat. We had them skinned and on ice within a couple of hours and before it got hot.

I'll admit the 6.5-284 is a lot more fun than a .270, but both goats are just as dead. That was my point.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

[Linked Image]

Looks like you had a good time, nice goats!
Great gutshot chamberings.
Originally Posted by Boxer

Brain damage?
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Brain damage?

More a familiarity with Anatomy. Great rear shoulder rounds.
Bullets got the chests, knife got the guts.

Bad photo etiquette, good meat management.

FWIW,

DF
Interesting spin.

Both goats gutted with a sharp knife just after they hit the ground; skinned and on ice shortly thereafter.

Bullets confined to chests, one round each.

DF

Weave it as you deem requisite and thanks for the humor.
Boxer,

Normally I give a guy several posts before I put him on ignore. But.....
I know where you are coming from,as it is a trifle unsettling to concoct such a yarn and perhaps I'll put him on ignore too. Thank you for the tip.
Interesting spin.

12 posts and already a skeptic.

A connoisseur of "interesting spin" is sorely needed. We look forward to your contributions.

Welcome to the Fire!

DF
More of a realist. Were gross fabrication the best I could,I too would be looking forward to the contributions of others.
You sound like the re-incarnated ghost (Troll) of Christmas past, and like the Energiser Bunny, the gift that just keeps on giving.

It's unfortunate that "new members" can hide their prior Fire "rap sheets".

I'm suspicious that we've been here before.

DF
You can't tell paunch from shoulders,nor blades from bullets. In no particular order.
Your syntax, grammar, use (or not) of a space after a comma, your egocentric, antagonistic language and writing style are a dead give away.

And, I thought I was always pretty respectful to you, at least most of the time. Well, more so after I'd been on the Fire for a time.

You're toxic to those who would treat you with respect.

DF

Guts are guts and shoulders are shoulders. Blades do not affect any of it in the way projectiles do.
We were there, in NM. Saw it all. Gutted the goats. Entrals were intact, not blown to bits. A paunch exit wound would have blasted the intestines. And, they weren't blasted.

And you can trump that from Paradise?

DF
All is crystal clear. Though feel free to describe the palsy requisite to scrimshaw flanks in such a manner and arrange blood flow during the while? You can't even bs yourself.
Those crystals up there need polishing.

What's wrong with your old handles? You've had several. But this new one, Boxer? Where did you come up with something like that?

DF
Buffed to a fine luster and then some. That is some seriously mad blade work.

[Linked Image]
No work. Just shot'em, gutted'em and took pictures.

All the rest is in your imagination. Meat's in the freezer.

DF
Were the lights out,you boobs wearing blindfolds and sword fighting too? Botched from stem to stern and more than a little.
Bet boxer could post a nice pic of a deer SHOT IN THE ASS ON PURPOSE!

Lol...
Very easy to arrange POA/POI intersection,whether it bullet or blade.
So you were aiming for the deer ass?

Do tell!
Those are Antelope and it doesn't appear he was aiming either a muzzle or a bevel.
No, YOU. You shot a deer in the ass on purpose, right?
I'm not in the picture,nor am I troubled with POA/POI intersections of either blade or bullet.
What-one lung shot and one gut shot?
Conley Precision Cartridges is loading 270 with Bergers
Originally Posted by eyeball
What-one lung shot and one gut shot?

She did provide well over 1000 "words".

DF

[Linked Image]

In my experience the blood in the mouth only comes from the lungs.

Nice goats. Is that the Capulin volcano behind you?
Yes, John. The Capulin Volcano National Monument is in the background. This is a really beautiful ranch. It encircles the monument on three sides and is around 12,000 acres total.

My hunting bud had visited the Monument 15 years earlier with his wife and daughter while on vacation. By coincidence, we drew this ranch for our hunt.

DF
smokepole,

Don't feel too bad about the 125 Partitions shooting just as well as the Bergers. When I was working up loads for my 6.5-06 I tried a BUNCH of different bullets and powders, and the second-most accurate load turned out to be 140 Nosler Partitions with the same load of H1000 as with 140 VLD's.

Nice goats, Dirtfarmer!
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

DF

[Linked Image]

In your "experience",where does the blood on the paunch and flank come from? Thanks!
In this case, from gutting the goats. Neither set of entrals was blasted, each pealing out of the carcas intact. It would have been better to take the photos, then gut them. One was shot nearly an hour before the other, and we're sticklers about meat quality. We were more meat than trophy hunting and were fighting time as it gets hot around 10 AM. I'm guessing this photo was taken slightly before 9 AM and we had a road trip ahead of us, back to the camp.

DF
The goat on the right was shot first, gutted, then rode with the left side down in the back of the pickup until the second goat was killed. We gutted him and brought them both to this site to get a photo with the volcano in the background.

DF
You are very obviously sticklers about nothing,if only obviously. Wow.

DF

[Linked Image]

In your "experience",where does the blood on the paunch and flank come from? Thanks!

Lil Fish,

Pretty sure he expained that about 3 more times than I would to someone who had never shot an antelope. laugh

More doing and less posting might be a better plan for you. You might just get your first LR kill this year if you hit the range and actualy fire a few shots. laugh
Your "experience" speaks volumes,that was enlightening.
Your "experience" speaks volumes,that was enlightening.

Lil Fish,

No problem buddy. Since you have absolutely no experience in hunting antelope it is the least we can do for you.

You might want to stop guessing about things you have absolutely no experience in but hey why stop now, you know what I mean. Shoot if you had to stop guessing what would you actually post???

Love and Kisses grin grin

Your pal

John
You reliably take stupidity places it hasn't been before. Bless your heart.

If you could keep your BS directed at guys like me and JM that want to play you would last a whole lot longer around here and give us all a lot more entertainment.

You are full of schit on the hunting and shooting front but I do laugh at some of your pontifications.

Shoot, you even hit the nail right on the head every now and then.

This is not your best effort.Give it another shot. laugh

You reliably take stupidity places it hasn't been before. Bless your heart.
You are at the mercy of your intellect and don't factor that as being accidental...nor a pretty picture.
Lil Fish,

I really must commend you on the multi personalities.

Tackleberry. I am actually impressed. You are still a schit head but you do have sense of humor.

Spend a little more time at the range and you might actually get that first LR shot this year. Hears hoping.

PM me if you need some good drills to work on trigger control as I am always here to help out. Been running the carbine hard and have a few that could help a newbie out.

Love and Kisses

Your pal

John
Would love to see your version of "running" and "hard use". TFF!

Yea you actually would Lil Fish. It involves lots of empties pinging in the dirt and lots of bullet holes in paper.

Do me a favor and goggle half and half drill and then video you doing same. Pretty simple way of comparing apples to oranges.

Want to play this game?? laugh

I will shoot and video a half and half tomorrow and you will do the same and we will post the videos before 7pm. Sounds like fun.

You do actually own a shooting timer, right?? grin

By the way your views on mid gas systems are kind of funny to those that actually run the AR.

Post a pic of your middie if you find the time. Stock Bushies don�t exactly qualify. (Even if you thought you were buy a Rem)

Does Tackleberry want to play??
Boxer is a fuggin' idiot.

Big Stick, not as much.

We've apparently hit "Peak Stick" and are experiencing the decline. whistle

Yea you actually would Lil Fish. It involves lots of empties pinging in the dirt and lots of bullet holes in paper.

Do me a favor and goggle half and half drill and then video you doing same. Pretty simple way of comparing apples to oranges.

I will shoot and video a half and half tomorrow and you will do the same and we will post the videos before 7pm. Sounds like fun.

By the way your views on mid gas systems are kind of funny to those that actually run the AR.

Post a pic of your middie if you find the time. Stock Bushies don�t exactly qualify. (Even if you thought you were buy a Rem)

I look forward to each of your videos.... smile
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Big Stick, not as much.

Will Rogers stated that he didn't understand how one could be over the hill, having never been to the top.

DF

Pretty funny someone stumped with a boltgun,now fancies herself a gas gun oracle. I'm the last guy to say shooting is hard and you are always the first,but then again you are fraught with your intellect and faculties,so alot of things exceedingly easy for me,are well beyond you. Poignant ain't it? Bless your heart.

Big Stick, not as much.

If only your stupidity could be charted. Wow.

Big Stick, not as much.

Will Rogers stated that he didn't understand how one could be over the hill, having never been to the top.

DF

Don't pick on poor JeffO,she does a good enough job picking on herself trying to share "knowledge" and "experience". But you've a point,in that all would enjoy a video of her opening a box of bullets and elevation is moot.
I'd like to see a video of you shooting a deer in ass on purpose. Did you happen to film that one?

A video of the meat wasted by the POA/POI intersection of ass and Amax wouldn't suck either.
Great time to chart what bullets you've never used,do on things you've never seen. A sidebar with graphics denoting how it's "impossible" to open and reclose a cardboard box,would put ALL into perspective. Bless your heart.

Pretty funny someone stumped with a boltgun,now fancies herself a gas gun oracle. I'm the last guy to say shooting is hard and you are always the first,but then again you are fraught with your intellect and faculties,so alot of things exceedingly easy for me,are well beyond you. Poignant ain't it? Bless your heart.

Gosh golly, I'm only using my Imagination here but just Imagine if you locate you're nutsack and shoot against John, your place or his, as he has proposed.

Just Imagine that............
Imagination is all you've got,besides "tricky" cardboard boxes that your perceptors won't enable you to actuate. Perhaps if you Imagine long enough,I'll shoot as little as you. Laffin'!
The Artful Dodger, on display.... Imagine that...
You ain't very Artful and noone requires Imagination to immediately fathom same. Good luck on harnessing your powers of Pretend,if only because it's all you've got.
Take it in stride Jeff...

we're trying to locate an AA sponsor for him as we speak...

one can tell that alcohol hasn't quelled his anger at life, it has only magnified it..

and made him 'ten feet tall and bullet proof'....

Barbara will get drunk and pass out again...at least until he sleeps it off again...
Regular [bleep] Imagination Tourney. Wow.

Gosh golly, I'm only using my Imagination here but just Imagine if you locate you're nutsack and shoot against John, your place or his, as he has proposed.

Just Imagine that............

We've already been through this............... whistle
The Imagination Tourney is never ending for you gals. A touch revealing that none of you gals connect dots,yet all Dream vividly. Bless your hearts.
You'll be gone soon, like usual.
You were never here,as per always. Bless your heart.

You really need to watch your mouth!
Flattering,that you got it for me. Bless your heart.
Flattering,that you got it for me. Bless your heart.

For a non religous type...you sure go around blessing alot of folk!

You've still a shred of kindness...
Retards need well wishing. Bless your heart.
Retards need well wishing. Bless your heart.

I've seen your pics..and you do resemble that remark!
Tell yourself what you must,to satiate your realities. Bless your heart.

And we have a front runner.
Originally Posted by heavywalker

And we have a front runner.

Personally,I enjoy "condolances",which rate your Signature. WOW!
Don't worry cupcake you'll catch up... maybe
Tell yourself what you must,to satiate your realities. Bless your heart.

Keep dreamin and posting you'll likely break 300 for the day...just keep tryin
SugarTits,hide as many primers as you feel "necessary". Wow.
Don't worry cupcake you'll catch up... maybe

Not a chance!
agreed
SugarTits,hide as many primers as you feel "necessary". Wow.

I must have hit a nerve.... smile
Sweetie,nothing ain't a nerve and stand flat footed to reap those rewards. Bless your heart.
Nothing gets by you, with the exception of the obvious.
Sweetie,nothing ain't a nerve and stand flat footed to reap those rewards. Bless your heart.

English please...thanks in advance!
Perception ain't your gig,but you play a "victim" convincingly. Your Act ain't one. Bless your heart.
Pretending to have a clue ain't the same as having one, but keep "trying"

You'd know,better than most.
Spotting the clueless ain't hard, and the more they talk the easier it is.
I'd wager you don't bat 50%. Bless your heart.
See...

I'll be nice and explain this one because I'm feeling generous. You see as far as "batting" goes, 50% or what is know as a .500 average would make me better than anyone to ever play the game.

Keep going, it'll be fun, think bigger hint.
The impetus was/is,your distance from 50%,which is .500 and all else upon that scale. Bless your heart.
What is the distance there sport, I'd love to here what your imagination has led you to believe this time.

You sound like a Big Schtick clone with a bad attitude and too much time on your hand's to waste until your next rectal adventure and then you will dis-appear for 6 to 9 month's at a time.....gettin old.
"Dis-appear"? Wow.
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

You sound like a Big Schtick clone with a bad attitude and too much time on your hand's to waste until your next rectal adventure and then you will dis-appear for 6 to 9 month's at a time.....gettin old.

Anybody wanna' take bets as to how long before he self-destructs again here? Either way you can bet it'll be PDQ. It's really kinduva' shame too, 'cause the guy's got a lot of firearms knowledge...but honestly, he's just too friggin' wierd.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

English please...thanks in advance!

yeah, what do you call this Alaska backwoods trailer trash alcoholic jibberish?

some sort of poor attempt to try and copy ebonics???
Originally Posted by sscoyote

Anybody wanna' take bets as to how long before he self-destructs again here? Either way you can bet it'll be PDQ. It's really kinduva' shame too, 'cause the guy's got a lot of firearms knowledge...but honestly, he's just too friggin' wierd.

I thought we were already well past that point, sad someone with the experience has to go this route. Before he was a difficult resource but a resource none the less. Now it's just about ego and his own entertainment, he cannot even see that people are just openly laughing at him and shaking their heads.
What is the distance there sport, I'd love to here what your imagination has led you to believe this time.

Distance is physics,wind ain't.

Keeps getting better with 828,vermin,Shefire and 'yote all feigning clues at once. Impressive display of stupidity,to e certain. Wow...you go girls.
!
Originally Posted by sscoyote
!

x1

I think... blush
Mule Deer is the best writer in the business. Pracitcal, experienced, no axe to grind, seems to love all calibers and partial to logic. love reading his stuff.

You must be new at this. The coin is there to hide the 4th and 5th rounds.
Pacnor 24" barrel, copied the M70 contour, 3-groove 8.5 twist.

The hell of it is though, I shot some 125 grain partitions for the first time yesterday and they grouped just as tightly as the 140 Bergers.

What's a guy to do?

Personally, I'd shoot the partitions. I shot my muley last year with the 140 VLD out of a 6.5 Weatherby going around 3300 fps and lost about 20 lbs of meat. They are nasty on meat damage, and goats are small enough as it is. Maybe with the lower speed of the 6.5-06 you'll be fine, but I run 130 AB's in my 6.5-06 and have had great results. Just as Mule Deer experienced, my 6.5's like the 140 partitions just as good as the VLD's. Here's a few pic of the muley entrance hole. The exit was even worse.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire