Home
Posted By: johnnyappleseed 6.5 creedmoor - 02/17/12
i've got the long range bug and i'm fixin' to get a 1000 yard scope

i need a 1000 yard rifle to go with it

i don't think my 25 06 will cut the mustard much past 500 yards

i'm talking hunting deer, antelope, coyotes and probably a bunch of rock targets

i may never take a 1000 yard shot on a game animal but i need something with mild recoil that'll get out that far

looks like the 6.5 creedmoor might get the job done

what do you think?
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/18/12
Looks like for what you would like to do, the Creedmoor isn`t getting too much love in the response dept.

Hunting deer, the lopes, coyotes and for shooting rocks the 6.5 Creed is fine. Even though you may never take a 1,000 yard kill shot, you would consider a kill shot out to 900-1000 yards? Even if properly scoped, I wouldn`t touch a 900-1000 yard kill shot using a 6.5 Creedmoor on any game. And I don`t even own a 6.5mm. Rock or paper targets out a 1000 yards is fine.

However, Wayne Van Zwoll nailed a bull elk with one shot using a 6.5 Creedmoor at 603 yards using a 129 gr A-Max. That video was posted on here quite a few months ago. But at 750-800-900-1000 yards?

Imo, if you would like to better accomplish what you describe, then you might consider the more powerful 264 Win or 7RM and deal with more recoil if you choose not to put a brake on it. Padded shooting vests and slip on recoil pads work very well to reduce felt recoil.

If I were you, I`d go with a more powerful cartridge that better does what I wanted, and I`d also buy what is necessary to help reduce the felt recoil.

Posted By: doubletap Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/19/12
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
And I don`t even own a 6.5mm.

???
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by doubletap
And I don`t even own a 6.5mm.

???
..........???........So???.......You don`t have to own a particular cartridge in order to formulate downrange performance opinions when comparing rounds of the same caliber diameter which have different power levels.

"External ballistics tables" that give all the necessary retained downrange #s (velocities, energies, trajectories), work pretty good.

For the OP`s purpose "if" any extennnnnnded range hunting were to occur, my first 6.5mm cartridge choice would not be the Creedmoor. Using the same 6.5mm bullets and weights, I`d rather have a 264 Win Mag, maybe go with a 270 WSM, or with a 7RM.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/20/12
Get a 260 Rem.. and make life easier... a Creedmore won't give you anything a 260 Rem won't...

if that isn't up to what you need, then go with a 6.5/06 or 264 Mag...

6.5 Creedmore is just a "me Too!" product...

then of course the old 6.5 x 55 has been around for eternity, and in modern rifles, long actions, a handloaded Swede will do what on 6.5/06 case will do also...

an 06 case has to yield capacity to seat the bullet to magazine length...where as a Swede, a bullet can be seated long... in the long run they are a wash...
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/20/12
..........???........So???.......You don`t have to own a particular cartridge in order to formulate downrange performance opinions when comparing rounds of the same caliber diameter which have different power levels.

"External ballistics tables" that give all the necessary retained downrange #s (velocities, energies, trajectories), work pretty good.
We all know that your opinions come with zero experience bigliar. Keep reading about what things will and will not do; it'd be a shame for you to muddy the waters with reality...
Originally Posted by 406_SBC

We all know that your opinions come with zero experience bigliar. Keep reading about what things will and will not do; it'd be a shame for you to muddy the waters with reality...
......Here comes 406 trashing another thread....The "big liar" to you, is more than willing to show you first hand "my experiences" among a few other things... wink

Too bad that you are just too "damned cowardly" to accept my proposal, whereas by me accepting yours, gives you all of the convenience, with no risk, and certainly doesn`t interrupt your precious schedule.

The term "coward" certainly defines you well.
bigliar...not trashing you or the thread, just can't keep from commenting on your imagination. You've got all kinds of opinions but not one of them is derived in reality nor is anyone one them based on your experience outside of your dreams.

You sir are the coward. You want to set me straight by me paying for everything and then you on your word will reimburse my expenses if I can find you in So. Cal. You are a fool's fool. I'll still be in ANC on Tuesday of next week...

Keep posting about that which you have not the first clue, regurgitate ballistics charts and then guess freely as to supposed external abilities; it's entertainment for us all.
bigliar...not trashing you or the thread, just can't keep from commenting on your imagination. You've got all kinds of opinions but not one of them is derived in reality nor is anyone one them based on your experience outside of your dreams.

You sir are the coward. You want to set me straight by me paying for everything and then you on your word will reimburse my expenses if I can find you in So. Cal. You are a fool's fool. I'll still be in ANC on Tuesday of next week...

Keep posting about that which you have not the first clue, regurgitate ballistics charts and then guess freely as to supposed external abilities; it's entertainment for us all.
.............Not trashing me? Oh?? Then what would you call it then?

Yep! You cannot seem to refrain yourself.

Oh yeah! Just like I have your word that you`ll be in ANC at a certain time and on a certain date? Yeah sure! And you`ll re-arrange my busy schedule for me there too where I lose hundreds of dollars per day just to fly up on "your" damned word?

A coward? Me? Why sure I am! You always seem to know what you`re talking about!

Since "bigliar" and now "coward" seems to be your favorite references for me, and since I am such a "big liar" as well as now a "coward",,,,you`re always welcome to come down here and test your theories. The real truth is, you`ll be damn lucky to get through the last syllable of those two words if you were to ever get the opportunity to express yourself in person with me. You`ll be on the ground real fast...That my friend is an absolute guarantee. Not a threat, but a damned fact.

You can remain in ANC until hell freezes over and keep on telling me when you`ll be there. Nevertheless, your proposal strictly favors your conveniences. I am under working contracts and scheduling obligations that are well cemented ahead of time. The people I teach also have other obligations which work around my class scheduling. You are asking me to re-arrange and disrupt the schedule of alot of people, whereas you give up nothing or any in-conveniences where any scheduling is concerned??

If you are so damned possessed and hell bent on proving yourself, proving your alter ego, and proving yourself to this forum, while at the same time disproving or discrediting me all across the board, then the burden of proof rests with you. I have made my proposal clear to you and that is the best that I intend to offer.

If ever in a face to face,,,we`ll see who the true coward really is. Nose to nose, I will give the opportunty to express yourself. If you choose to express yourself the same way directly to my face in person as you do from a keyboard, your expressions will be extremely brief.

So what next there big man? You just gonna keep following me around from post to post on this forum, or do you really want to take your best whack at me? Hmmmm?

I told you that I will mail you a copy of your cashiers check re-inmbursing you for the correct amount of your round trip plane expenses, after you mail to me copies all of your info and flight information proving that you paid for your tickets. That cashiers check will be on my possession waiting for you, and will be shown to you after you de-plane and before going any further.

And you want me to just drop everything, fly 3500-4000 miles one way and meet you in ANC, when you are conveniently there on your own business anyway?

Such a "convenient" deal,,,,,,,,,,,,for you.

Nope! You can come down here. I`ll be very co-operative with you in order to test your theories. First, you can see an album or albums, and then secondly by your own choice to find out who the true coward really is between us.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/20/12
The Creedmoor looks like a decent round to me. I almost went with it but chose to have mine chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua instead.

If you're going with a factory gun most creedmoors have an 8 twist which will allow you to run the long heavies. It also has some reasonably price factory ammo if you don't load. I'm not sure I'd use it a 1000 on deer unless I thought the bullet would still expand at that low of velocity. For a soft high BC bullet the 140 Amax would be worth a look. I also like the VLD hunting bullets.

I think impact velocity and bullet construction are more important than energy. I like to see my impact velocity at 1800 or above but I've seen the amax expand at 1600.

I've shot deer with a 260 and it works well. A creedmoor is same performance wise. Both are awesome but that being said my long range deer gun is a 264 win mag and my 243 with 105's hangs pretty nicely with my 260 at long range. But the 243 is a custom with an 8 twist.

And, don't be afraid to look at the 7-08 too. My factory twisted 700's will run the 162 Amax at 2700fps over H4350 loaded to mag length.
Bb
Keep it going bigliar, it gets better and better. I certainly do not want to come between you and "hundreds of dollars per day." I was unaware recycling aluminum cans paid so much. Of course your clients may all be imaginary anyways, just like your financial resources. Regardless, I'm sure you'll go out of your way to stay away from me.

BTW, you need no help in trashing yourself--it's the only thing of which you are entirely capable of by your lonesome self--your nephews not withstanding..........
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
Keep it going bigliar, it gets better and better. I certainly do not want to come between you and "hundreds of dollars per day." I was unaware recycling aluminum cans paid so much. Of course your clients may all be imaginary anyways, just like your financial resources. Regardless, I'm sure you'll go out of your way to stay away from me.

BTW, you need no help in trashing yourself--it's the only thing of which you are entirely capable of by your lonesome self--your nephews not withstanding..........
..............You a good dancer? You dance around, you side step, you dance around, you side step, you dance around, you side step, you dance around, and keep on dancing around and side stepping more and more.

Me do my best to stay way from you??? You flatter yourself! I would "absolutely love" to get your face directly in front of mine!

So you keep on using your terms. But certain things are quite clear.

You are one gutt-less coward, who`s courage will never ever match ANY in person meeting with me.

The yellow running up and down your damn back is far longer than your any of your state`s two laned highways which have double yellow lines in the no passing zones.

I`m only a plane ride and PM away from your pathetic cowardly azz. One challenge you will never, never, ever accept.

Posted By: Tanner Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
Dude...every good thread you touch turns into you offering to fight somebody. You'd be doing a lot of thread creators, who just need some input on something, a huge favor by just reading them, typing your response, and deleting it. This thread can now join the graveyard, thank you.
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
Me do my best to stay way from you??? You flatter yourself! I would "absolutely love" to get your face directly in front of mine!

I`m only a plane ride and PM away from your pathetic cowardly azz. One challenge you will never, never, ever accept.
You must keep the bluff going bigliar, it's your only play. Me standing in front of you is more reality than your daydreaming self can fathom. What could you possibly do if you met me in person? Daydreaming in front of me is not going to be very impressive........

The bluff is over, you've been called and yet you hide behind your keyboard. Keep the lies coming, keep up the dreaming, pretend like you want to settle this--we know better. You've spent long enough on the forum today. I better let you get back to scrounging up the aluminum cans, your next assistance check isn't due till next week.......
Originally Posted by TannerGun
Dude...every good thread you touch turns into you offering to fight somebody. You'd be doing a lot of thread creators, who just need some input on something, a huge favor by just reading them, typing your response, and deleting it. This thread can now join the graveyard, thank you.
.........Hey Dude! How about you go back and re-read this thread among other threads and see who always provokes it?

It is always easy for clowns like 406 to express themselves on a keyboard. But then again to come out from behind their safety perch is another story.
Posted By: Tanner Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
Obviously I've seen the other threads or I wouldn't know how much of a bummer they become after you post in them. I'm in absolute agreement that to weigh in on the 6.5 Creed, then it'd be necessary to have some, if not an abundance of experience using it, or at least SOME cartridge in it's class (260, 6.5x47Lapua, 6.5 SLR). This thread now officially sucks, and I feel bad for even posting in it.

You must keep the bluff going bigliar, it's your only play. Me standing in front of you is more reality than your daydreaming self can fathom. What could you possibly do if you met me in person? Daydreaming in front of me is not going to be very impressive........

The bluff is over, you've been called and yet you hide behind your keyboard. Keep the lies coming, keep up the dreaming, pretend like you want to settle this--we know better. You've spent long enough on the forum today. I better let you get back to scrounging up the aluminum cans, your next assistance check isn't due till next week.......
.........Ho hum! Ho hum! Ho hum!

Dance, dance, dance, and do some dancing some more. I`m the ONLY one who has been called? Yep! To accept only your damn terms? Nevermind my terms though! Right? Hypocrite!

You`ve been called there too chump. This calling business works both ways.

Did it ever occur to you, that you can get an airline refund if you cancel within a certain period?

You step up. Buy your plane tickets. Then mail me copies all of your flight info. THEN I will mail to you a copy of your cashiers check with your friggin name on it that equals your airline expenses.

Step up! Then your wishes to try and discredit me will be fully realized....SO YOU THINK!
I've nothing to prove bigliar. You're character is beyond question and your posts discredit yourself without my help. Please keep posting upon subjects that you have no experience with whatsoever and please continue to cite numerous magazine articles and webpages as your proof, so as to maintain your credibility. What would you do if you had to stop guessing????
Posted By: southwind Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
I have to admit this has been some remarkable reading and as I don't want to jump into the burn I will give my .02 on the 6.5 Creedmoor.

This cartridge was designed to use heavier bullets ie/ 140 class that can mag feed in a large frame AR for highpower competition. It accomplishes that where a .260 rem won't but with the same ballistics.

Those 6.5 pills are quite amazing what they can accomplish ballistically at long ranges in terms of wind, energy, and accuracy. It's a nice round I wouldn't discourage anyone from owning for deer sized game or just fun shooting.

For me if I'm hunting anything over deer I want something a little bigger and a little more punch. That's just my preference.
I've nothing to prove bigliar. You're character is beyond question and your posts discredit yourself without my help. Please keep posting upon subjects that you have no experience with whatsoever and please continue to cite numerous magazine articles and webpages as your proof, so as to maintain your credibility. What would you do if you had to stop guessing????
........Obviously you feel as though you DO have something to prove or you wouldn`t be following me around on the forum like the im-mature clown that you are.

You have every oppty to prove me the big liar that you say that I am, plus prove every other term you wish. But you won`t bend to any inconveniences for yourself, but want me to make every inconvenience possible.

And your last posting shows exactly how damned im-mature and stupid and plain dumb you happen to be.

External ballistics tables do exactly what they are supposed to do. Inform any potential owner of a certain round, what that round is capable of and comparing any round to another,,,,BEFORE,,,,it is purchased. But I guess you can`t figure that out too well now can you?

Maybe you feel that you need to own a round before you can comment on it? Well I don`t! I don`t have that handicap as you do.

I guess reading reports, specs, and exteranal ballistics tables, are all well beyond your superior mentality.

You are one pathetic POS or POC! Which ever you prefer is well defined.
Maybe you feel that you need to own a round before you can comment on it? Well I don`t! I don`t have that handicap as you do.
There is no question that you need ZERO experience to consider yourself an expert on most topics bigliar. The na�vet� with which you write is precious, much like playing peek-a-boo with a young child.

Your handicaps are obviously numerous. That you have no experience is also clear in your posts and that you see it as no limitation is equally obvious. Hang a pic of your vast exploits if you get the time, perhaps cut and paste a pic from a chart/magazine. Looking forward to your "experienced" reply....
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
bigsqueeze do you ever read what you posted after you have posted? Because you are one amazing idiot. I knew a guy like you once, all he did was lie in fact he lied so much I think he believed his lies. Anyways whatever your excuse for being dead is your full of chit. I don't know 406_sbc or any other handle he may go by. But seeing I am a betting man I would put down some cash on him cleaning you up like spilled milk in isle 6. You talk a lot of chit but if you were the man of the means you say you are and as bad as you tell yourself you are then you would do what it takes to make a face to face happen. All you do is flap your gums. Your the kind of guy that provokes a fight then gets their azz kicked and calls the cops.
There is no question that you need ZERO experience to consider yourself an expert on most topics bigliar. The na�vet� with which you write is precious, much like playing peek-a-boo with a young child.

Your handicaps are obviously numerous. That you have no experience is also clear in your posts and that you see it as no limitation is equally obvious. Hang a pic of your vast exploits if you get the time, perhaps cut and paste a pic from a chart/magazine. Looking forward to your "experienced" reply....
........You are so damned stupid, that you easily can take anything totally out of context and do so without even trying.

Never said I was an expert on the Creedmoor;;;;clown. I expressed an opinion. Your mentality will not allow you to distinguish any difference between expertise and an opinion.

If my handicaps are as SOOOO numerous as you say, then you should have no problem with coming down here. According to you, I should be easily disproved, discredited and while you`re at it as well, you should easily prove that I am the coward you say that I am "after" you look me in the face and call me a coward and a liar.

RIGHT???????????????????????????????????

Well if I were you and since you know so much, I`d take me up on my proposal and get down here ASAP in order to prove what you state??

Should be an easy piece of cake for ya uh??... wink wink wink
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
And another internet threat by bigliar..

Posted By: Kenneth Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
I'm glad he's here, rather than on the Elk forum, offering up the same useless un-based opinions on Elk.

It's so obvious with some people, that after it's all been said and done,

that more has been said then done.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
bigsqueeze do you ever read what you posted after you have posted? Because you are one amazing idiot. I knew a guy like you once, all he did was lie in fact he lied so much I think he believed his lies. Anyways whatever your excuse for being dead is your full of chit. I don't know 406_sbc or any other handle he may go by. But seeing I am a betting man I would put down some cash on him cleaning you up like spilled milk in isle 6. You talk a lot of chit but if you were the man of the means you say you are and as bad as you tell yourself you are then you would do what it takes to make a face to face happen. All you do is flap your gums. Your the kind of guy that provokes a fight then gets their azz kicked and calls the cops.
..............Tell ya what there MCH! The same offer that I made to 406, can easily apply to you as well "IF" you`d like? I didn`t provoke you into anything. An amazing idiot, flapping my gums and liar?

You and your new butt bro 406 (whom you don`t know) are certainly welcome to pay me a visit at any time you wish and call me a liar in person. You like him, obviously enjoy some trash typing from your keyboards. Very easy to get some courage and some bigger balls when typing on a keyboard. So you are a betting man uh?

Well maybe you and 406 can PM each other back and forth and decide on your dollar amount favoring him to """clean me up like spilled milk on isle 6????""""

Well! I wish him and you "lots" of luck.

PS.......Don`t be so sure and confident that I am "just like" the guy whom you once knew........ wink

But you`re such the betting man; right? Go for it.
Yep! 406BC, MCH, Rancho Loco, plus others that develop more gutts and courage while on their keyboards.

You are welcome to pick your best representative or two amongst you and pay me a visit. Place your bets too.

Anybody can easily trash talk online. None of you will back yourselves up with any in person meeting with me, regardless if it is me or anyone else with whom you love to trash on line.

7:30 pm here now. Well "gentlemen?"...I have to go to work shortly. So you all have a great and wonderful time, knock yourselves out and keep up the "very mature" trash typing.

This thread is all yours now. Until the next time.
Posted By: doubletap Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
bigsqueeze,
I assumed that the op was looking for advice from someone with experience. You admitted that you had none, yet gave a rather lengthy treatise on the cartridge. Thus my response with the question marks.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I'm glad he's here, rather than on the Elk forum, offering up the same useless un-based opinions on Elk.

It's so obvious with some people, that after it's all been said and done,

that more has been said then done.
........Before I leave, I just wanted to let you know Kenny, that I`ll occasionally get over into the "elk section". laugh laugh

Bye now.... laugh laugh laugh laugh

Originally Posted by doubletap
bigsqueeze,
I assumed that the op was looking for advice from someone with experience. You admitted that you had none, yet gave a rather lengthy treatise on the cartridge. Thus my response with the question marks.
....The OP asked what we thought rather than ask for any actual experience.

Secondly and quickly before I leave, I expressed an opinion rather than giving a "lengthy treatise" on the Creedmoor itself, based only on what the OP wished to do.

In the past, I wonder how many on this forum have ever offered their opinion without ever having owned a particular round? Probably more than a few?

As a substitute for no experience with a certain cartridge, there is no reason why someone cannot use an external ballistics table or calculator and offer their opinion.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
And another internet threat by bigliar..

this guy is the biggest moron to ever grace the pages of the fire, makes for some good entertainment though.
Never said I was an expert on the Creedmoor;;;;clown. I expressed an opinion. Your mentality will not allow you to distinguish any difference between expertise and an opinion.
bigliar I can easily differentiate between expertise and opinion; and in your case, BS. Your posts display that you cannot. The wonder of it all is that you think speaking about a chart you read to form your opinion is helpful to the OP's question. I'd say it's safe to assume that the OP didn't need someone to guess if its a wise cartridge selection, he has that ability himself. So continue to speak upon things of which you have no idea and form opinions without merit. As others have noted it is certainly entertaining, not at all helpful or constructive, but it is entertaining. I, for one, can't wait to see your future lies as they keep getting better and better. Until the next lie I'm awaiting your inevitable invitation......
Originally Posted by stxhunter
this guy is the biggest moron to ever grace the pages of the fire, makes for some good entertainment though.
Moron does not do bigliar justice, he's much dumber than that. Unless he can double as a Munchkin, his inseam is higher than his IQ. Though if you ask him I bet he consults with NASA. However due to security issues he can't post a pic..........
Posted By: Eremicus Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/21/12
If you read Barsness's 6.5 Credmoor article in the June, 2011 edition of Handloader, you'll discover it's designed to avoid some of the design faults of the .260 Remington. Much like the 6.5X47 Lapua, but with a bit more case capacity. That, and the fact that they come in a cheap factory rifle that has outstanding accuracy with factory ammo. Alot there to like.
If you play with long range shooting much, two things become apparent. Wind is usually your biggest problem and, to deal with that, you need lots of practice. That tends to require a light(er) kicking rifle that doesn't eat barrels much. One of the major reasons why the .308 is still very popular for this.
So, I for one, think they are a great choice. I seriously doubt I'd try killing any game past 400 yds. with one, but that's because I have little confidence in my ability to make a wind call more than anything. Non game, like coyotes, and ground squirrels however would be a different story. E
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/22/12
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Moron does not do bigliar justice, he's much dumber than that. Unless he can double as a Munchkin, his inseam is higher than his IQ. Though if you ask him I bet he consults with NASA. However due to security issues he can't post a pic..........
.......I choose NOT to post pics, but NOT because of any security issues. I choose NOT to post any pics or learn how, because I choose NOT to appease guys like you.

Why should I try and post anything to satisfy and appease those who call me a liar plus all the rest as they follow me around from thread to thread? Why? Just to please you and they? Even if I posted a few pics after learning how, you and they would still find any way to call me a big liar or find any small way to stir something else. Why? Because you dislike me anyway! So I`m not falling into that trap.

I`ve got hundreds and hundreds of 35mm pics for ya 406. So if you, Loco, Tommy264, plus "ANYONE" ELSE" who wishes to pay me a visit someday, then please feel free. I`m a plane ride and a PM away. That damn simple.

I have another reason 406, which is restricted just to you. Maybe one of these days, you`ll gather up enough courage, balls, plus whatever else you need, to go "eyeball to eyeball" with me. THEN sir, you can call me exactly what you love to call me online! When you call somebody a liar, wouldn`t you "MUCH RATHER" do so face to face? Hmmm? Or maybe a face to face is way beyond your capability or level of courage?

I want your ass directly in front of me with my photo albums in plain site. Then, I want you to "PLEASE" call me a big liar. That is what I want!

If you choose that route and decide to open your mouth, you`ll barely have the time to finish pronouncing the letter "R" at the end of big li-ar. If you are smart enough to not call me what you so like to do online, then we part company.

All the convenience for any meeting is on your end. But all of the IN-convenience for any meeting is on my end.

Oh! But you`ll be in ANC anyway within "your own home" state? Therefore it`s up to me to fly 7000-8000 miles round trip to ANC, having to completely re-arrange my very busy schedule beforehand which will disrupt alot of other people`s schedules, while losing hundreds of dollars per day as I`m under contractural agreements with specific dates with three separate security firms, not to mention my other scheduling agreements with my many privately taught students? Oh! But that isn`t your problem.

Oh yeah! But you`ll be in ANC on this date or on that date, at a specific time and place,,,,as you are "GOING TO BE THERE",,,,,,,,,,ANYWAY.

No in-convenience on your part whatsoever...NONE! No schedule re-arranging, no money lost by you, no breaking of any contractural dates or agreements that you have to go through, not to mention all the hours that would take on my part to re-arrange everything even if for a 2 day absence. Nothing from you. But nevermind that! Oh! But "you`ll" be in ANC "on business anyway"...How phuggin "CONVENIENT!",,,Yeah! For you!

I`ll keep posting here and there. Afterwards you, RanchoLocoWeed, plus a few others I`m sure, will no doubt come in, get your jollies, and continue to trash the threads just like this one with no original provocation from me. Obviously, you and few others just cannot restrain yourselves.

As an added bonus and just for you 406, I will also arrange a face to face between you and my niece`s son, who will tell you directly to your face why he did what he did in faking my demise on this forum as a big practical joke. After he does, he`ll then be told by me to drive away,,,,leaving us to our strictly,,,"one on one",,,,business.

So there ya go. You`ll get to meet my niece`s son who will confirm my innocence and you`ll see alot of hunting pics at the same time. Afterwards and hopefully for your sake, you`ll be able to refrain from calling me what you normally love to do online. In your next reply, I`m sure and fully expect, that you "will not" be able to restrain yourself.

Till the next thread!
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/22/12
.......I choose NOT to post pics, but NOT because of any security issues. I choose NOT to post any pics or learn how, because I choose NOT to appease guys like you.

Why should I try and post anything to satisfy and appease those who call me a liar plus all the rest as they follow me around from thread to thread? Why? Just to please you and they? Even if I posted a few pics after learning how, you and they would still find any way to call me a big liar or find any small way to stir something else. Why? Because you dislike me anyway! So I`m not falling into that trap.
You can't post pics of what you haven't done, and that is the only viable reason you haven't posted your exploits bigliar.

I can't imagine anyone follows you around on this forum or elsewhere, but your posts are just too stupid to miss. Keep the posts coming bigliar, I look forward to your next daydream...........
Posted By: colodog Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/22/12
This is why I hate the "off season"!
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/22/12
Ok bigsqueeze I will bite. Here is the deal you buy me a round trip ticket from Hartford CT airport code BDL to whatever airport John Wayne or LAX or wherever you are in Cali. I will gladly show up. Give me a few days notice of when my departure date is. Internet records clearly show your intent of the visit so lets just lay it out right now here clear as can be. We will meet at a boxing/martial arts gym in CA for a friendly hand to hand combat bout. Put up or shut the F_ck UP! I know your type very well. So let the excuses fly.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/22/12
I think 'squeeze should do the flying,

I mean, him being dead and all, he doesn't even need a seat.

how much could the flight cost? Seriously...

My self, I would just post a few pics of hero shots of myself with my outdoor accomplishments and shut a bunch of non-believers up,

Seems easier than flying around the country beating everyone up.
He isn't going to fly anywhere nor beat anyone up. He is all talk and the only person he impresses is himself. His response is going to be that he will refund me my money. If he was serious he would just buy the ticket and take his beating like a man. But I am sure he would try to call the police. His new handle as far as I am concerned is BIGPINKBELLY.
Ok bigsqueeze I will bite. Here is the deal you buy me a round trip ticket from Hartford CT airport code BDL to whatever airport John Wayne or LAX or wherever you are in Cali. I will gladly show up. Give me a few days notice of when my departure date is. Internet records clearly show your intent of the visit so lets just lay it out right now here clear as can be. We will meet at a boxing/martial arts gym in CA for a friendly hand to hand combat bout. Put up or shut the F_ck UP! I know your type very well. So let the excuses fly.
.......Ok! You wanna bite?

Same deal as with 406. You buy your tickets into JWA. Then you mail to me copies which show your flight costs, flight #s, times, and dates.

Upon my receiving, I will get a cashiers check for that same dollar amount and send you a "copy" of that cashiers check in the mail to you that says pay to the order of you" with your damn name on it. If you think that I`m just gonna buy you plane tickets and send them to you, you are sadly mistaken. You can receive them and then easily trash them, then I`m out the money with nothing to show for it?

You wanna piece of me? You know my type? Why sure you do. Just make damn sure you decide not to come here the last 7 days of August into the first 3 days of Sept. I`ll be in Japan.

So there ya go! Friendly hand to hand? No sir, it won`t be too friendly on your end! You have no idea what you`re dealing with.

If you want to be the "proxy" man on behalf of 406 and do his battles for him, then that is your own judgement call.

If you choose to go through with this, address exchanges and other details will be done via PM.

I strongly, and strongly suggest some more that you carry this no further and just drop it.

Blah blah blah BigPinkBelly you are truly an idiot. I wish I still lived in HB because I would be knocking on your door. Oh yeah not that you would be man enough to give me your address. If you were more then talk you would do one of two things. A) buy the ticket and if I didn't show up you could brag and boost about it here. Which for you would be a first. B) You would say how about I come to CT. Of course you wouldn't do that either because you are all talk no action. But hey you play dead well!
Blah blah blah BigPinkBelly you are truly an idiot. I wish I still lived in HB because I would be knocking on your door. Oh yeah not that you would be man enough to give me your address. If you were more then talk you would do one of two things. A) buy the ticket and if I didn't show up you could brag and boost about it here. Which for you would be a first. B) You would say how about I come to CT. Of course you wouldn't do that either because you are all talk no action. But hey you play dead well!
................You follow the same type of very predictable and typical egotistical responses as 406. The usual insults along with the usual name calling. The usual stuff! "BIG" courage from a computer keyboard. That`s real easy!

Yep! I "could" buy your plane tickets and then you not show up. Then I "could" brag and boast if you didn`t show up and still be out the money. But that`s not what I want to do. In fact, I want to insure that does not happen.

By you buying your tickets first, you ARE then committed "TO" show up. THEN, if I didn`t mail you a copy of your cashiers check, then you could also brag and boast too?? Things works both ways there partner.

And if I did not have the heavy teaching schedules and contractural commitments which have to be met, I`d be very happy to pay you a visit in Conn, go to Alaska, or to where-ever.

And if you still lived in HB, I would "welcome" having you knocking at my door.

Maybe one of these these days, you`ll get the oppty to see just how well I play dead. Cuz this dead corpse will give you more hell than you could possibly ever deal with.

.......Ok! You wanna bite?

Same deal as with 406. You buy your tickets into JWA. Then you mail to me copies which show your flight costs, flight #s, times, and dates....
Maybe bigliar isn't the best name for you afterall, bigweasel might fit better. You're willing to settle the differences if I or anyone else will take all of the responsibility, drop our schedules and pay for everything on the "promise" of you're reimbursement. This is great stuff bigliar/bigweasel. Your true colors are waving for all to see bigliar. You've got nothing, you've done nothing and except for your entertainment value you are nothing.
I strongly, and strongly suggest some more that you carry this no further and just drop it.
Be sure you warn us publicly of your skills and our impending danger so as to fulfill any legal obligation your skills demand. That you add this caveat is like being in second grade all over again, what memories..... Just when I think you can't possibly top yourself you show that stupid knows no boundaries. Be assured that so long as no one trips over your slumped tubby body no harm can come to your visitor....

You are still a pathetic lying wannabe, nothing more.
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/22/12
I hate to come into this late,however I had to wait for the derailment to pass by.
The Creedmoor deserves a good look. I am shooting one now to 300 yards and plan for some 'yote shooting beyond.It really likes the Hornady 129SST's
I plan to look into a heavy barrel later,right now I am happy with my Ruger Hawkeye made famous by JB...
What it comes down to is you PinkBelly want us to take your "word" which is as far as I am concerned chit. Photo copy of a check. Really? Does anyone on here actually know you? I have never seen anyone write anything statng you were even an ok guy. Any guy in my book that fakes his own death is an idiot. Believe me your warnings have scared me and your right I wouldn't take a free flight out to Cali to visit friends and get the chance to mop you up. Its funny how you think you can beat anybody and everybody up. I feel bad for your poor boyfriend you beat on a daily bases to make yourself feel like a tough guy.
Maybe bigliar isn't the best name for you afterall, bigweasel might fit better. You're willing to settle the differences if I or anyone else will take all of the responsibility, drop our schedules and pay for everything on the "promise" of you're reimbursement. This is great stuff bigliar/bigweasel. Your true colors are waving for all to see bigliar. You've got nothing, you've done nothing and except for your entertainment value you are nothing.

Be sure you warn us publicly of your skills and our impending danger so as to fulfill any legal obligation your skills demand. That you add this caveat is like being in second grade all over again, what memories..... Just when I think you can't possibly top yourself you show that stupid knows no boundaries. Be assured that so long as no one trips over your slumped tubby body no harm can come to your visitor....

You are still a pathetic lying wannabe, nothing more.
............I knew you come in soon there 406. You and MCH. Two peas in a pod.

You two take ALL of the responsibility?...Hardly! In fact, very little.

I`ve made my offer. As is, one of you or both of you, can either take it or leave it. Simple as that. You wish to back up what you state, prove to yourselves and prove to this forum, that everything you say about me is true? Then accept my offer as is.

Usually when people run out of things to debate and it comes to crunch time, their best course of action is to then name call, insult and discredit their opponent to the best of their abilities, thinking that somehow they have gotten best of them for everyone else to read.

Feeling good there 406 and MCH? You feeling like you`ve really gotten the best of me? Of course, that`s much easier from behind a keyboard!

Either accept my offer as is, or you two can just continue on with your whining, name calling, insulting, along with more useless diatribe going back and forth, which only accomplishes and serves to fulfill your own useless egos.

Not going to participate any further on this thread. Any further discussion between us will only result "after" I get a PM of acceptance to my offer as is from either of you. And until that happens, everything else is just a bunch of useless name calling and ego filled crap which you so clearly demonstrate.

In the future, when either of you or anyone else choose to so im-maturely trash me after I post, the only response you`ll get from me is this,,,,,, laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh...

So until I get a PM which accepts my offer as is, that is the only thing you`ll get from me.

Then the OP`s of any thread I happen to post on, can and will do whatever they wish. I don`t care.

If that is what makes you both feel good, then please continue. Keep on following me around from thread to thread and let your ego`s fly. Get it all out.

Other than to serve your own egos, it all means nothing until a PM of acceptance is made.

Have a great time boys! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
I don't have to get the best of you, you do that pretty well to yourself.
What it comes down to is you PinkBelly want us to take your "word" which is as far as I am concerned chit. Photo copy of a check. Really? Does anyone on here actually know you? I have never seen anyone write anything statng you were even an ok guy. Any guy in my book that fakes his own death is an idiot. Believe me your warnings have scared me and your right I wouldn't take a free flight out to Cali to visit friends and get the chance to mop you up. Its funny how you think you can beat anybody and everybody up. I feel bad for your poor boyfriend you beat on a daily bases to make yourself feel like a tough guy.
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
I don't have to get the best of you, you do that pretty well to yourself.
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

I`ve made my offer. As is, one of you or both of you, can either take it or leave it. Simple as that. You wish to back up what you state, prove to yourselves and prove to this forum, that everything you say about me is true? Then accept my offer as is.

Usually when people run out of things to debate and it comes to crunch time, their best course of action is to then name call, insult and discredit their opponent to the best of their abilities, thinking that somehow they have gotten best of them for everyone else to read.
You must have lived or at least regularly visited Neverland in So. Cal. if you see me taking the time and money to come and set you straight as very little responsibility. Your offer is the worse bluff I've ever heard, but from you it's par for the course.

I don't debate with you bigliar. Debate involves engagement with facts and you have only lies and daydreams. How's your tenth leather bound album coming? Keep the lies coming bigliar--its all you've got for company.

You must have lived or at least regularly visited Neverland in So. Cal. if you see me taking the time and money to come and set you straight as very little responsibility. Your offer is the worse bluff I've ever heard, but from you it's par for the course.

I don't debate with you bigliar. Debate involves engagement with facts and you have only lies and daydreams. How's your tenth leather bound album coming? Keep the lies coming bigliar--its all you've got for company.
......... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Man why didn't we do this long ago. So nice to not have to read a bunch of BS anymore.
Man why didn't we do this long ago. So nice to not have to read a bunch of BS anymore.
....... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh + cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Posted By: flattop_johnny Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/23/12
To the original poster;

I have 2 6.5 Creedmoors....One a Ruger 77 Target, and the other an All-Weather Hawkeye that I switched out the plastic stock for a laminate one.

The Creedmoor would be a viable choice for what you are looking for.....its 140gr has more remaining energy, and a flatter trajectory, at 1000yds than a 300 win mag shooting a match 190gr bullet.
That being said...if you are proficient enough to make a 1000yd
kill shot on game; more power to you.
600yds is about my max for game, and I don't get to shoot longer than that enough to be confident with shooting anything beyond that.
One other note...both of my rifles are the most accurate bolt actions I have ever shot straight from the factory.
Good luck in your search,
johnny
Posted By: _AG_ Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/27/12
Is this forum moderated at all?
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/27/12
No,folks will just fight it out until they are too tired or forgot what it was all about.....
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/27/12
.......and now back to the original post. Anything using the 250 Savage case isn't all bad!
Posted By: _AG_ Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/27/12
Originally Posted by rifle
No,folks will just fight it out until they are too tired or forgot what it was all about.....

That's a shame. It's too bad folks have to wade through all that [bleep] and silliness to gain or share any useful information. There must be an ignore feature on here though?
Posted By: PastorDan Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/27/12
Originally Posted by _AG_
Is this forum moderated at all?

It should be! It really sucks wasting all this time to read the whole thing looking for something useful.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 02/28/12
so it can be like all those other sites, that have about 5 people that post on them.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 03/01/12
Two AH that need a private forum!!

[Linked Image]
how-about-a-nice-cup-of-shut-the-[bleep]-up by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/24/12
Kids being kids!

Hold on...I'm going to pop some corn!!
Posted By: overmax Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/25/12
7 pages of BS
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/25/12
One of the advantages of the "ignore" feature is that if you open a thread and find half the posts labeled *you are ignoring this dipschidt*, then there's obviously no sensible posts to be found. You can skip the macho pissing matches and go on to useful threads.

I just put one more Campfire member on ignore as a result of this thread, and may add one or two.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/26/12
Here's an example of what my Creedmoor is capable of and I have many more at long range. This is what happened with FACTORY Creedmoor ammo about 2 weeks ago...

3 shot "group" LOL!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tanner Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/26/12
Rc, gimme a break! That's some crazy shooting right there! You've got a winner there laugh
It was basically a fluke exceptional group. It shoots under 1/2" at 100 normally. It really is all about the quality of the barrel. I just had it rebarreled. The last one had issues. smile
Posted By: deflave Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/26/12
Is it a chunk or sporter weight? What is it?

Travis
It's built on a 700 action with a light palma barrel, brake, McMillan A-5.

Here's what it did about 20 minutes ago with the 139 grain Scenar...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shoots the 140 A-Max about the same.

[Linked Image]

Those are all 5 shot groups.

I've got one just finished for a hunting gun with a 24" Brux, machining done on the action and bolt that will come in around 6.5 #'s with the scope mounted. Score High light weight hunter. Just need to finish painting the stock.

I'm tired of carrying 8 to 10 pound rifles around all day on hunts. I think the light weight Creedmoor will become my "go to" rifle for everything short of elk.
Posted By: Tanner Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/27/12
Those sound like badass rifles...
Posted By: deflave Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/27/12
What distances have you shot to with the palma contour/A-5 rig?

Thanks for the info BTW.

Travis
Posted By: LowBC Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/28/12
I'd be interested to know what load you actually settled on. Both are exceptional. I also wonder how many of each charge you shoot to settle on the load. Really nice job on that target.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/29/12
We shot all weekend. Steel at 316, 488, 640, 840, 945, and 1240. My A-max load was showing way too much vertical at 945, so I'll head to the range in tha am with the 41.8 grain load Scenar to check it at 600 on paper. Taking the press and 50 charged cases. I think the load will be good and will just try to tune any vertical out if there is any with seating depth variations.

To answer your question, I've shot the creedmoor out to 1760 (1 mile) and made hits on steel.
Posted By: deflave Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/29/12
Pretty sweet. Thanks again.

Travis
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/29/12
At 600, the 41.8 gr load with the 139 Scenar grouped at 3.5". Four of the five shots grouped at 1.5", the fifth shot was low making the group the size it was. 3.5" was the group size and it was due to the one shot being low.

I'm going to shoot it at 1000 yards this week and try going up a little in .2 but 1/2 MOA of vertical is pretty good and I think I can live with it.

I came back from the range today and plugged all of the load info into QuickLoad. I've been reading about the "Optimal Barrel Time Concept". QuickLoad shows barrel exit time for the load you enter. The exit time happens to coincide with node 5 for a 26" barrel on the OBT table. It may work.

Posted By: deflave Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/29/12
Ok, you're losing me now. Post a pic after you shoot a dog and list the range. Thanks. grin

Travis
Posted By: southwind Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/29/12
rcamuglia is that load in the 2850 fps range?
Posted By: LowBC Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/30/12
Thanks for sharing, I look forward to hearing more.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/30/12
Originally Posted by southwind
rcamuglia is that load in the 2850 fps range?

I think so. I haven't Chrono'd it but it's hotter than my A-Max load that is at 2780. The A-Max load's data for 600 is 3.6 mils come up and I only came up with the Scenar 3.2 for the same POI.

Originally Posted by deflave
Ok, you're losing me now. Post a pic after you shoot a dog and list the range. Thanks. grin

Travis

http://www.the-long-family.com/optimal%20barrel%20time.htm

Enjoy!
Here's what the hits on the 945 yard plate looked like...
Sorry about the quality. Had the exposure set wrong and had to brighten it on the computer.

You can see the bullet splashes off of the plate in the dirt below the plate. Three quick hits...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/30/12
How big is it?
Posted By: southwind Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/30/12
I am going to own one of those one of these days.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
How big is it?

About 2 MOA. 18"X16" and it's waaaay tooo thick! We couldn't drive to the locations of the 945 and 1240 plates and had to hand carry them and their stands about 800 yards. We brought a Jeep the next day to drive up to them to pack up. Good workout carrying 50# steel. Had to stop for rests about every 300 yards.

It was all worth it as the fun outweighed the steel smile
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/30/12
Have you tried 130gr VLD's in your 6.5 Creed?
No. Been shooting the 139 Scenar and the 140 A-Max.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 05/31/12
Went out early this morning with a friend to really nail down a good long range load with the least vertical dispersion. I had shot the 41.8 grain H-4350 load with the 139 grain Scenar at 600 and was pretty happy, but wanted to see how it performed at 1000.

I charged 100 cases from 41.7 to 43.5 grains, 10 of each in .2 grain increments. No bullets were seated until ready to shoot at the range. I always take my press and do it this way.

Here's how it went. My buddy is in the pits with a radio. I seat 2 bullets in two cases at the starting charge and shoot them. If they group with no vertical, I seat 3 more and shoot them for results. If the first two have a bunch of vertical, I skip that load and move on. This is great because you don't end up having to pull bullets and dump powder back at home. I only shot 26 rounds to achieve a good load with the least vertical dispersion... smile

[Linked Image]

Four to the right of my hand and one above and left. About 4 inches of vertical. Nice group too. Shot in 8-10 mph crosswind from 3:00

42.5 grains H-4350
139 grain Lapua Scenar
Federal 210M primer
.015" off of the lands; 2.830" COAL

Velocity will be determined later.

Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/03/12
Went out today to nail down some drop data with the above load. Decided to stuff some 140 A-Max's in 10 cases with the same 42.5 grain charge to see how they would shoot at 600...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/03/12
Wow...that looks like fun! Good report.I hate to say it but my 6.5CM will only get to work out to 300 yards at my range.
Posted By: woods Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/03/12
Hey rc

Did you ever try any load development with the 130 gr Scirrocco II (a hunting bullet whistle ) ?

Great shooting but somehow getting a great load with a "splatter" bullet just doesn't mean as much (to me). Then again at extended ranges the splatter bullet might have better terminal performance than a bonded bullet. Whatcha think?
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/03/12
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the advantages of the "ignore" feature is that if you open a thread and find half the posts labeled *you are ignoring this dipschidt*, then there's obviously no sensible posts to be found. You can skip the macho pissing matches and go on to useful threads.

I just put one more Campfire member on ignore as a result of this thread, and may add one or two.

That about sums it up JB. I have had 3 dumbasses on ignore for YEARS now. Great feature.

Back to our regularly scheduled program: The Creedmoor will get you out to 1K handily. However, I agree with whomever it was that said it won't do a thing the 260 Rem won't do, unless in an AR platform. For a bolt gun, I'll take a 260 Rem over a Creedmore or a 6.5x47 Lapua (and did). The other 2 cartridges simply do nothing better than the 260 IMO......
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/03/12
Originally Posted by rifle

LOL. That is pretty much what separates the 'Fire from "lesser" forums. Freedom of speech. I mean where else can you obtain free plane tickets for an ass beating? Say the right words and you can pretty much obtain a free ass beating in the location of your choice any where in the continental U.S., Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and possibly even the Virgin Islands. What other sites offer it's members such perks?

Keep in mind: If you don't like it, you don't have to read it. Although some choose to read it, and then bitch about it......
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/03/12
Originally Posted by woods
Hey rc

Did you ever try any load development with the 130 gr Scirrocco II (a hunting bullet whistle ) ?

Great shooting but somehow getting a great load with a "splatter" bullet just doesn't mean as much (to me). Then again at extended ranges the splatter bullet might have better terminal performance than a bonded bullet. Whatcha think?

Not yet woods! I think with the velocities we're talking about (2800 or so) the "splatter" bullets just may be the ticket to expansion at long range. I'll be doing development on a super lightweight Creedmoor for a hunting gun soon. Probably just use the "target" bullets. My competitive friends shoot the target bullets all of the time for game and have reported great results.

Now for elk, I doubt it! Probably won't use the Creedmoor either!
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/03/12
Per WVZ and the 600 yd elk, I believe that was an SST, not the 120/123 or 140 amax fwiw.

The 6.5C will get the job done just as well as a 260 more or less. Lapua brass in 260.
Posted By: GSSP Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/05/12
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Have you tried 130gr VLD's in your 6.5 Creed?

Pat,

This weekend, I just finished confirming my load for the 24 hr Sniper Challenge happening the end of July with shots out to 1200.

6.5x47 Lapua
130 VLD seated .015" in to lands.
38.6 gr Varget
CCI BR
24.5" #3 1:8 Broughton

My final zero.

[Linked Image]

Some 1008 yd hits on my 15" x 27" LV Steel 1/2 Silhouette. Made a sight adjustment to the right after smacking with the very left hit. The lower 3 are 123 MK's with 38.4 gr Varget. The two on the right are from my partner's 6.5x47.

Alan
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/05/12
Looks like the 130's are shooting great Alan! Good luck at the event.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/06/12
The Latest 6.5 Creedmoor Update...

After trying a few that I wasn't happy with, I've finally settled on a load.

I did the testing at 550 yards simply shooting at a big square steel plate painted black. I shot the plate and was really interested in finding a load with as little vertical dispersion as possible. A 41.1 grain H-4350 with a 140 A-Max gave about 2" of vertical at 550 yards for 10 shots.

I thought for sure that was the load and promply loaded 300. Went out and shot them at 100 yards. I would have bet the farm that they would have gone into one hole by the way they were performing at long range. Wrongo.

At 100 yards the groups were terrible; about an inch. Impacts were unpredictable as to up, down, or sideways. I was pretty depressed. I went back over to the long range and shot them at 550, 650, 710, 760 yards and was amazed at how beautifully they shot. No vertical and easy to make hits. Perplexed....

I was hoping I wouldn't have to use two loads; one for 100 yard accuracy on paper and one for long range. I tried to do another little ladder and found that 41.9 and 42.2 shot Ok at 100. Went to the long range and they had vertical stringing.

Charged a bunch of cases this A.M. with 41.1 and 42.2 and went to the range to try to tune one of them for an all around load. On a hunch, I seated two of the No Vertical 41.1 loads .020" longer than the previous test loads. They went into one hole. I then seated 3 more and crossed my fingers...

They did this:

[Linked Image]

I then seated the rest of the cases with bullets at that OAL and went to the long range to test them on steel. I was hoping that changing things wouldn't effect the load too much vertically. It shot well...

5 shots at 550:

[Linked Image]

140 grain A-Max
41.1 grains H-4350
Fed 210M primer
Hornady case
COAL = 2.834"
2810 fps

Posted By: GSSP Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/06/12
It is amazing how such a small increment can change things down range. Are you still off the lands or are you in now?

Alan
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/06/12
Funny you should ask.

I had no idea where it was, it was about max magazine length. When I got home I did a little cleaning rod measurement and found it to be .100" off!
Posted By: GSSP Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/07/12
.100"? That's out there! But dooable. One of my loads, 123 MK, likes 10 out as much as it likes 15 in; go figure!

Alan
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/07/12
IOW, there's no way to get close to the lands at mag length!
Posted By: GSSP Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/07/12
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
IOW, there's no way to get close to the lands at mag length!

That's why you should have gone with the 6.5x47 grin

Alan
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/07/12
New reamer. Last one factory ammo was jammed. I'll talk to him and find out what's up.
Posted By: AbqDefense Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/07/12
Hey RC,

We met at the range last weekend a couple of times. I had the the other Creedmoor there.

I am glad you found a load you like. I too am playing with the OAL. Test, test, test, right???

It is interesting that even though you lowered the load to 41.1gr that your velocities are still good. I am guessing this is because your longer OAL is putting you closer the lands, which increases pressure. You are getting great accuracy which is the key thing.

I hope to see you out there again soon.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 06/11/12
Thanks Abq! I'm sure I'll see you there again, maybe at one of the Precision matches! They're fun.

Hey Alan! When is the 24 hr Sniper shoot? I'm heading to Wyoming for the SHC soon. Can't wait to get the SuperLightWeight Hunting Creedmoor a Hummin'! Needs paint...
Posted By: mar21457 Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/09/12
My next gun.
Posted By: EWY Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/09/12
Do you mean that the next rifle you buy will be chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Ernie
Posted By: LowBC Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/10/12
Hi Guys,

Can someone explain to me how a bullet will shoot better at 550 yards yet badly at 100 yards? This is not a sarcastic or post in jest, I seriously want to understand the mechanics of the bullet behaviour. It is not the first time I have heard of this happening, but I just don't understand how it happens.
Posted By: Tanner Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/10/12
It's accepted, I believe, by most that bullets stabilize more the further they travel from the muzzle, up until the point of going sub-sonic, of course. So, those bullets that shoot better at 550 than 100 may be "going to sleep"; or stabilizing and getting past any yaw in the spin.

Also, the shooter may just be better at that distance than 100 yards. I know that I definitely force it a bit at 100 when testing loads, and have the tendency to shoot poorly.

That's just my stab at it, anyways.
Posted By: ghost Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/10/12
Bullets have a wobble to them when they first leave the barrel, some more than others. At a certain distance, the wobble quiets down and the bullet is said to have "gone to sleep" which would make it more accurate. I said at a certain distance, because it will be different for different bullets..
Posted By: djones Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/10/12
I was looking for a long range hunting rifle but don�t keep up with the latest and greatest �must haves�. But some friends of mine do and they shoot bench rest and tactical matches, so to me they are �experts�. They insisted I build a 6.5 Creedmoor.

We checked our rifles on paper at 100 yards and I was amazed my bud was barely shooting under an inch with a 243AI. We went on to shoot steel plates at 400 to 600 yards and he stacked his shots with unbelievable accuracy. I don�t understand factors that bring a bullet back on target at long range when its vector has already veered off an inch at 100, but there is definitely something going on there.

I was shooting factory Hornady 140gr AMAXs, and they shot so well I have actually drug my feet about reloading for it. I took hogs at 323 and 505 yards and was about to stretch it out a bit farther, but they decided to quit coming out in the daylight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/10/12
That's awesome djones! Looks like a great time!

I shot a 200 yard group with my Creedmoor on Saturday with the 139 Lapua Scenar. 4 shots, measured .24" at 200 yards

[Linked Image]

It piled shot on top of shot on steel plates at 300 and 580. The load showed consistent lack of vertical even at 1380

I don�t understand factors that bring a bullet back on target at long range when its vector has already veered off an inch at 100, but there is definitely something going on there.

I would have to second that! Mine shoots better at 200 than 100.

????????????

Posted By: FVA Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/13/12
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
That's awesome djones! Looks like a great time!

I shot a 200 yard group with my Creedmoor on Saturday with the 139 Lapua Scenar. 4 shots, measured .24" at 200 yards

[Linked Image]

It piled shot on top of shot on steel plates at 300 and 580. The load showed consistent lack of vertical even at 1380

I don�t understand factors that bring a bullet back on target at long range when its vector has already veered off an inch at 100, but there is definitely something going on there.

I would have to second that! Mine shoots better at 200 than 100.

????????????

Might be related to shooter or sight rather than bullet.
I'm trying to figure how these wobbling bullets that are measurably farther apart at 100 than 200 go to sleep at the exact same time in their divergence to come closer together down range.
Posted By: rifle Re: 6.5 creedmoor - 07/13/12
This is my CM from yesterday,200 yards one group with 123 A-max,the other Lapua. My rifle seems to be a little better with the H bullet...H4350 was the fuel..
I think the rifle will shoot better in cooler weather, I was losing my hold point from the haze...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire