Home
took my custom built 243win out to the range this morning and managed to do some groups out 2 400yds. at 400 i shot 2 3 shot groups that were just under 2in, 1 7/8 to be exact. shooting 70gn hornady bullets at 3350fps. 200yd zero bullet drop was 20 1/2 at 400.what kinda groups are you getting at that range??
Man that is some impressive shooting!

I know many around here run 243s at LR, although they're using heavier projectiles than the 70s you mention... many lean toward the 105 AMax or 95 gr VLD.

That having been said, I recall several gentlemen here saying that they'd taken up the 70 gr NBT as a "do all" including deer... which Hornady are you shooting; I'm not aware of a 70 gr?
87 vmax, right around 4.75 in at 600. Sounds like some great groups you had!
Hornady used to make a 70 grain spire point. I have a few hundred, and they're wicked accurate in my Savage.
yep,i only have about 50 of the hornady spire point bullets left.my gun is a 1;12 twist so it likes the lighter bullets better then the heavy ones
I shoot a .243 AI...1/8 twist set up for 105 Bergers. Under an inch at 300 (zeroed) and about 1/2 moa at 600 if I do my part. Whacked a nice whitetail doe at 475 last year, high shoulder shot and she dropped in her tracks.

87gr. VMax over a stiff charge of Ramshot Hunter, bullets are molyied by me.
200 yard zero and it takes 6.7 moa at 500 meters.

Shooting off concrete bench with sand bags, I average .6 moa three shot groups at 500 meters.
Gun is a stock Savage Predator Max with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 with M1 elevation.
The 87 VMax is great on the whitetails around here as well.

MO
I also shoot a 243 ai, with 8 twist barrel. I shoot 103 spencers although 105 bergers shoot almost as good. 9/16" at 200 yards and 2.5" at 500 yards with less than 2" of vertical, best vertical has been just inside .75" at 500 yards. the 243 shooting heavy bullets is a pretty darn versatile low recoil long range setup.
.243 is my favorite cartridge. It's super easy to shoot, and is an amazing killer. I've killed a bunch of coyotes with the 87gr. VMax.
I send a few down range with 243 AIs. With the right twist and bullets they are amazing. Mine has accounted for several animals between five and eight hundred yards.
i wish i could shoot heavier bullets in mine.with a 1;12 twist it doesn't seem to like anything heavier then a 70grn.
I also run a fast twist and only shoot the 115dtac. The results are simply sick, way to easy to shoot as well as it does. Vertical rarely goes more than 1/2moa and all of the windage is based on my sucky wind reading skills.

Pretty happy taking it out to 1400 yards and still under 1moa in both vertical and horziontal spreads.
I shoot a modified Savage (1:9.25" twist) in F class at 1000 yards using the 95 grain SMKs. It's my light wind gun.
Me I love shooting my 243 long range
Just a tick under 600 yards. Tikka Master Sporter. 115gr DTAC.

[Linked Image]

We mainly shoot 243's in sniper/precision tactical matches as well.
Formil, nice buck! How'd the DTAC perform?
Well done sir. Very nice deer too.
Tanner, it performed great. Deer was quartering to me. Entered at the liver and traveled all the way to the off side rear leg breaking the femur. We have shot two others with the DTAC as well, a six point and a doe at just over 300 yards. Both were shoulder shots, both DRT'ed, and exited.

They open up nicely even in coyotes. Left about a 3 inch exit.

[Linked Image]

Keleb, thank you. It was killed not far from you actually.

Good stuff! Gotta love it when a bullet like that still performs.
It's good enough that I am getting a M7 rebarreled with a 1 in 7.5in twist to hunt with it in a light weight gun.
What length are you going to finish it at? And how long can you seat them out with that M7 mag box? That sounds like a heckuva rig.
I hunt with a 243wssm launching 105bergers just a hair under 3000 fps in an AR15. It shoots amazingly accurate and is of course mild mannered. My favorite rifle.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
what kinda groups are you getting?

[Linked Image]
aalf, who did the chamber work on that Dasher?
Originally Posted by Tanner
What length are you going to finish it at? And how long can you seat them out with that M7 mag box? That sounds like a heckuva rig.

Thinking either 22 or 23 inches. Don't have my notes with me right now but they will mag feed. I think it will become my most used rifle for deer sized game. 300WM trajectory and wind drift, no recoil and under 8 lbs all loaded up.
who did the chamber work on that Dasher?

He's a BR smith from MN, but not taking any new work.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Thinking either 22 or 23 inches. Don't have my notes with me right now but they will mag feed. I think it will become my most used rifle for deer sized game. 300WM trajectory and wind drift, no recoil and under 8 lbs all loaded up.
Awesome... what speed do you expect to run them at out of that length tube? Sorry for all the q's... just curious.
No problem. 2,900 fps shouldn't be hard. We run 3,050 without issues in 26in barrels.
That's about what I expected. Cool stuff!
I've only put mine to paper at 300 running a little under 1 1/2 inch.

Longest shot last year was 550 on an antelope. Lung shot came out the other side. About a 50 ct piece exit. 87gn Berger VLD
Tanner at 3100fps I can tell you a Brux barrel lasted about 1500 rounds before it had to be set back. I am on my second Brux and cut the speed to 2950fps. At about 800 rounds the throat still looks great. The extra FPS are not really making a big difference in wind and I am hoping to get much longer barrel life.
I have been running the 115 Dtac through the barrel on my 243Ai for several years now. This particular barrel started life as a 7.5 twist med palma pacnor chambered in 6 BR. I shot the crap out of it then decided to punch it to 6x284. I shot nearly 1K rounds before I started losing bullets due to a rough throat. Since it had a 4 plus inch section of straight shank I cut four inches off the back and used the barrel to budget build a 243Ai on a remington. It just went through its third setback as a 243AI when I decided to lighten the gun up a little by having the barrel diamond fluted and swapping stocks.I have lost count of the number of dtacs that have been down this barrel but it is still amazing even after having it diamond fluted. BTW a 115 DTAC does not only work well at long range, but it is pretty functional at short range as well.
Here is a pic of my 243Ai in its latest incarnation. It lost a litle weight with the fluting and by ditching the HS stock for the Mcmillan. I have a 7.5 twist rock carbon fiber barrel sitting on the shelf waiting on this one to get shot out again. This has been without a doubt the most accurate hunting rifle barrel I have ever owned no matter what I did to it.

[Linked Image]

First group out of the barrel after the last setback.

[Linked Image]
That'll work, EddyBo. You shoot much? smile
Nice shooting Eddy....
Yowza, nice rig. What scope you running Eddy?
The scope is a leica with the turret. I swapped over to a rail and rings a while back.

Tt35 for a few years I was shooting a lot by anyones standards. Still shoot a lot by most peoples
What kind of speeds were you getting out of the dtacs?
3150ish. My coal on my 243AIis pretty long, like 2.9 I think. A wyatts box barely lets me seat into the lands and feed from the magazine.
I have a SA in the safe that is going to be a 243ai. Just finished my 223ai, so I need time to replenish the gun fund.
I guess on my next barrel I will have to order a super long shank to plan on setting it back more.

I have only been shooting the .243 about 2-3 years now and like Formididlious I am thinking hard about rebarrel a M7 .308 into a fast twist .243. His comments about 300 Win Mag performance without the abuse is dead on.
Ive been looking into .243. The bergers , dtac , and amax got me thinking. Funny thing ive noticed is the 105 amax says 1-9 twist on the box and the 105 bergers call for a faster twist? Something to do with the vld design? As far as I can tell it looks like these will shoot inside 260/308 parameters...pretty cool
I'm just starting to work up some loads for the 105gr A-Max. I've got a 1 in 9" barrel. I'm gonna try 7828SSC and Retumbo.

Bob
Bob, Retumbo is your huckleberry, should be around 48-49 gr if you're seating to mag length!
I can break 3100 with 46.5 7828SSC in a 24" factory spout.

Haven't run Retumbo, but 50.5gr Ramshot Magnum runs a little over 3050 out of the same rifle.
I never thought to use Magnum in mine, that's a good call. I was right at 3030 out of my 24" factory bbl, and the case was completely full. I tried 7828 a few times, but it was just a bit slower than Retumbo and I didn't see the same accuracy, but nothing to complain about (about an inch). That stuff rocks in everything else I use it in though.
Bob, Retumbo is your huckleberry, should be around 48-49 gr if you're seating to mag length!

Thanks Tanner!

Bob
I run a standard 243. 47.5 of H1000 gives me 3080fps with a 105 from my 8 twist 26" brux.

I have shot several groups in the .2s and .3s but can't do it everytime. I just shoot from a bipod and rear bag so I can't always shoot as well as the gun does but I'm generally 1/2 moa with it.

Shot a buck last year with a 105 vld last year and it worked. I usually use the 105 amax in it and plan to try the amax on game this year.

Bb
h-1000&rl-19 work really well with 95-100gr vlds

Got great performance out of 48.2grs of Retumbo with the 105gr A-Max yesterday. Thanks for the tip.

Bob
Awesome. Nice load density with Retumbo and the 243 laugh
I haven't been in this forum in awhile, but topic this gives me a little hope I'll have my issues sorted out shortly. I haven't been getting the accuracy I'm wanting out of my LR .243 that I built. I've been warned that I probably went with too fast of a twist. I had McGowen build me a 1:7 26" heavy varmint and had them leave enough shank on it I could set it back a couple of times at least.

I built my rifle on a Stevens 200 center feed action. I've added the SSS competition trigger and recoil lug. Picked up a Stockade tactical bolt handle and bolt lift kit as well. I have an EGW 20 MOA base and Weaver GS Tactical 3.5-10X40 scope on it.

I just purchased a used HS Precision stock, and hoping that will be a vast improvement over the Tupperware model 12 stock I had. Just waiting for the stock to come in should be here by Monday. I'll be done with my training for my new job on the 25th so hopefully things will slow down and I can get back to shooting in June. I was about to order a Mickey when I lucked into the used HS stock for about 1/3 of the cost of the Mickey.

I just bought some H-1000 to try as they were out of Retumbo when I was purchasing powder last. I4350 and H4831SSC has shown promise with 105 A-Max and 107 SMK so far. I'm blaming the old stock but it is probably shooter ability that has kept me from consistently keeping my shot groups under MOA. I've been looking seriously at the Matrix bullets to try and still haven't bought the DTAC yet but picked up some 115 Bergers to try. Just in case my barrel is too fast for the 105-107 bullets.

I've only worked it out to 300 yards so far, as that is as far as my range will allow. I have purchased a few AR500 plates to set up when I head home to the ranch or up into the mountains. However my largest plate is a 12" so I got to shoot much better if I want to hit it at a 1K.

I've heard 45 grains of RL22 under the 105 AMAX works well.
[Linked Image]

From our shoot last weekend...

115gr VLD's at 3000fps do great things way out there.

Always amazing to me what you can do with only 40 grains of powder....
1120M...!!!!!

Why, thats almost a thousand yards....! shocked

wink

Good shootin' compadre'..... grin
1224 yards to be exact......grin!

You need to come up and join us next year!
You'd be needing to move the targets closer...I don't think I'm much good past 1100 meters...... whistle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

From our shoot last weekend...

115gr VLD's at 3000fps do great things way out there.

Always amazing to me what you can do with only 40 grains of powder....

That photographer did a good job ! grin

That 6XC is a hammer... that going to Douglas, WY in June ????
I'm thinking either it, or my GAP Crusader .260.....

You going?
Originally Posted by ingwe
You'd be needing to move the targets closer...I don't think I'm much good past 1100 meters...... whistle

It's all good....we had quite a bunch of steel hung up at 200, 300 and 400 yards as well.

Or you could just run out every hour or so and re-paint steel for us......grin!
I'll bite. What is in Douglas in June...?
Curious about that myself. Hopefully another steel shoot, but I doubt it laugh Something with a pulse is probably getting shot.
Sniper's Hide Cup.

I'm pretty sure it's been filled up for quite awhile now.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3091801&nt=2&page=1
Cool stuff!
Well, I know one thing for sure- it's a good thing I'm not going to that shoot, 'cuz I wouldn't be too excited about shooting against you, Pat wink
I thought I heard that .. glad to see it is closer than TX.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Well, I know one thing for sure- it's a good thing I'm not going to that shoot, 'cuz I wouldn't be too excited about shooting against you, Pat wink
I could take him laugh
I clearly meant that I didn't want to make him look bad. Just trying to be a nice guy.

grin
Yeah, now we're talking. He's lucky we aren't coming laugh
He'll have his hands full at the cup. Those boys are more than serious about what they do.
I'll be pullin' for him. Pat definitely got an edge as far as home court advantage. Except maybe to Zak. Iirc it is more of a "field" type set up in "real terrain" type settings. I'm looking to see Pat do well.
Yeah, it sounds like a blast! It's the kind of thing that I'd love to participate in some day in the future.

I'm looking forward to following this event and seeing how Pat likes it, as well as the results.
Oh that even has very few rivals or equals. It is "the event" for many. There is a few that Zak is running that will more than likely give it a run for the money.
For people interested in getting into long range shooting events,

"Jim the Plumber" is Jim Findlay, who sponsors the Findlay Cup each year. He knows about lots of long range shooting events in the pacific NW. see http://www.findlaycup.net/

Also, TMR is Travis Redell of RBROSRIFLES.com and he and his brother shoot in a number of events in the PNW.
Originally Posted by adam32
I shoot a .243 AI...1/8 twist set up for 105 Bergers. Under an inch at 300 (zeroed) and about 1/2 moa at 600 if I do my part. Whacked a nice whitetail doe at 475 last year, high shoulder shot and she dropped in her tracks.

Amen, perfect round for long range
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i wish i could shoot heavier bullets in mine.with a 1;12 twist it doesn't seem to like anything heavier then a 70grn.

I have a 1:12 twist .243AI and run the 75g VMAX. Excellent mid-range combo. I think I could stabilize the 85g Sierra or 87g Vmax, but never tried.
I'm currently using 105 VLD Hunting with H1000 47.5grs, cci-250 primer in Winchester case,around 2995 avg. H4350 and RL-22 works well to. Have shot out to 1k without problems.
Anyone here have good luck with the heavies (105 amax or VLD) in a Rem factory 9.25" twist?

Have one to try, if it would shoot these, should be no need for a new tube to cover longer range yotes, lopes and occasional deer.
I almost bet that the 105 AMAX will work td!
Most factory remmys will stabilize the 105 AMAX. The VLD will likely be a no-go
Thanks fellas, will be trying the Amax first...and hopefully last!

Been trimming the arsenal back so it looks like this 243 (soon to be AI) will be getting quite a workout.
my combo is a 243 ai, 24" 5r barrel. I shoot 103 spencers at about 3130 fps. I can push them up to in excess of 3200 fps but the primer pockets get loose after 3 loadings. however there are no other pressures signs other than loose pockets, kinda strange. this is done with h4831 sc, shot a .550 group at 200 yards last time out. this was in 90 degrees, last group was in january probably well below 40 degrees group was 9/16". several other powders produce similar speeds RL 17 certainly does but RL 17 gives me big time vertical spreads at 500 yards. but still strangely shoots very tight at 200 yards.
I posted about this one earlier. Stevens 200, McGowan 26" 1:7 Heavy Varmint, HS Precision stock.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've only been to 100 with my rig so far but it shows promise with the A-Max. Shot from my last range session bipod and rear bag for support. 44.4 grains is the top end before I start showing pressure, COAL 2.710".

Group 1, RL 22 44.4 grains
HI 3177 fps
LO 3123 fps
AVG 3147 fps
ES 54.30
SD 21.26

Group 2, RL 22 44.7 grains
HI 3269 fps
LO 3211 fps
AVG 3235 fps
ES 58.12
SD 22.69

[Linked Image]

Finally got my DTAC's in and picked up some Berger 115's as well as Nosler CC in 107 to try. Now I just need to find a place to set up my reloading equipment in again. Moving Sucks!

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire