Home
Posted By: RDW 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 03/29/12
I ordered a box of the 208's to run through the EW. I have a good hunting load with 180 Deep Curl's over H4350 but I want to try a heavier, higher BC bullet for grins. To be honest, I have had not had good luck with Hornady bullets so I rarely shoot them except in the 45-70.

My preference is Hodgdon Extreme powers but H4350 is on the slow end of the recommended powders for 200gr bullets.

Any experience in regards to accuracy or comments on powder or primer choice?
For a starting point, you may try going here on this site.

reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=244

See load ID #s 6218 and 7210 where the 208 A-Max is used.

You can also look at the 210 VLD loadings, starting lower and apply those loadings to the 208 A-Max.

Imo and from experience, H4350 is one of the better and more versatile powders for the 300 WSM when using 165 gr up to and including the 200s as well as the 210s. H4350 may be on the slower end of the scale, but it is a very good powder for the 300 WSM.
Posted By: slm9s Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 03/30/12
my 300win mag loves 208 amaxs and h1000 FWIW.
I always get excellent results from hornady bullets. For your 300 wsm, you may get better results by switching to R17 powder for that bullet. I'd start out around 62.5 gr. and work up to around 65. Stay off the lands by about .020"-.050" and let us know how that awesome shooting EW does.
Posted By: RDW Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 03/31/12
Seems to be low interest in this topic, not sure if it's the cartridge and bullet combination or the wrong forum. Anyhow, I do have some H1000 on hand and some RL17 although I had no luck with 2-2.5 lbs of RL17 in two 270WSM's and my current 300.

I look forward to giving this bullet some range time. I compared the ballistics to the 180gr DC and drop and drift at 1000 are significantly better, less so at 500. Recoil is 2-3 ft-lbs more and that is not much at all.
Posted By: Tanner Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 03/31/12
Dave, what loads do you like in your 270 WSMS?
I shoot moly'd 208s in a 30-06. 61gr RL22 is compressed and makes 2720 fps from a 22.5" bbl.

Also I use some RL17, getting 2700 fps with that too, via 55gr. about 95% case fill.

Long way of saying RL22 and RL17 should work well in the WSM case with the 208, and easily exceed my velocities.
I would stay with the Hodgen Extreme powders for the temp stability. I wouldn't even bother with the RL17. The velocity gain isn't worth the tradeoff in vide velocity variations.
I know some guy's are using tha A-MAX for hunting, but I would lean toward the Berger VLD for a "hunting bullet". Any reason your not using Berger?
Have you had any issues with temperature swings using RL17? We shot a bunch of it in a 243WSSM and it was terrible.
Originally Posted by 7LRMshooter
I know some guy's are using tha A-MAX for hunting, but I would lean toward the Berger VLD for a "hunting bullet". Any reason your not using Berger?

We've slayed A LOT of animals with AMAX's. We've killed quite a few with VLD's also. The 208gr AMAX is murder.
I've noted velocity swings with the RL17, about the same as RL22.

Roughly 1 fps per degree F. With RL17, 2740 fps at 80F, dropped to 2690 fps at 30F.

With RL22 about the same. Did a deep cold test with RL22, lost 100 fps from 80F to -20F, with ammo and rifle left outside for the night.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I would stay with the Hodgen Extreme powders for the temp stability. I wouldn't even bother with the RL17. The velocity gain isn't worth the tradeoff in vide velocity variations.
............True! But regardless of velocity variances going from warmer to colder weather, shouldn`t all rifles be zero checked and sighted while in camp before the hunt?

This business about higher velocity variances with certain powders going from warmer to colder weather, is an overrated issue imo.

If ya lose 50 fps or so in the cold, but "ARE" sighted in for that cold weather, then it shouldn`t matter.

I have yet to see any hunter place a target on their game and shoot for groups during their hunts. It is the first shot that matters. And as long as one is sighted in for the cold weather, then using a powder which is more temp sensative shouldn`t matter all that much if at all.
Posted By: PaleRider Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 03/31/12
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've noted velocity swings with the RL17, about the same as RL22.

Roughly 1 fps per degree F. With RL17, 2740 fps at 80F, dropped to 2690 fps at 30F.

With RL22 about the same. Did a deep cold test with RL22, lost 100 fps from 80F to -20F, with ammo and rifle left outside for the night.

Very similar to what I've seen.
Have also seen RL22 pressures go thru the roof when weather got warmer in loads that were already close to max. and developed in cooler weather.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
............True! But regardless of velocity variances going from warmer to colder weather, shouldn`t all rifles be zero checked and sighted while in camp before the hunt?

This business about higher velocity variances with certain powders going from warmer to colder weather, is an overrated issue imo.

If ya lose 50 fps or so in the cold, but "ARE" sighted in for that cold weather, then it shouldn`t matter.

I have yet to see any hunter place a target on their game and shoot for groups during their hunts. It is the first shot that matters. And as long as one is sighted in for the cold weather, then using a powder which is more temp sensative shouldn`t matter all that much if at all.

Unless you're hunting where you change elevations dramatically, say from a base camp at 3500' up to 10,000 -11,000' elevation and bad weather blows in.
You don't have a chance to rezero then.....................
shouldn`t all rifles be zero checked and sighted while in camp before the hunt?

Complete bullshit. During hunting season I might see a 70 degree temp swing from one day to the next. Am I going to sight in every morning?

You should have stayed away like you you said you were going to do.
I have not had issues with possible changes in velocity from loads developed in the high 90's in central Texas to hunting in the low 20's in northeast Kansas, however, I zero before I head to our farm and that is typically with temperature between 30-40 degrees.

I gave up on RL17 after getting high pressure signs well below max. I used to shoot a lot of Alliant and still have 7, 15, 17, 19 and 22 but I have been very pleased with Hodgdon.

I don't know if I will hunt with the 300WSM EW next year or not since my 260 EW should be ready in May. I wanted to try the heavy A-Max and even heavier Berger 230 hybrid for fun this summer. A friend has a place to shoot with plates out to about 925 and I am pretty sure we can trim some trees to get to a 1000.

I hope to have some time to practice on the plates between 300-500 with hunting in mind, my longest shot on the farm is probably 575 but I rarely setup at that location; for the most part, I would have shots between 75-450.

Originally Posted by RDW
I ordered a box of the 208's to run through the EW. I have a good hunting load with 180 Deep Curl's over H4350 but I want to try a heavier, higher BC bullet for grins. To be honest, I have had not had good luck with Hornady bullets so I rarely shoot them except in the 45-70.

My preference is Hodgdon Extreme powers but H4350 is on the slow end of the recommended powders for 200gr bullets.

Any experience in regards to accuracy or comments on powder or primer choice?

RDW,
I think you already have a very good powder in the H-4350.
The new worlds record for 1000yds was recently set with H-4350 and a 300 WSM using a 210gr Berger.
Five shots into right around 2.8 inches.
I'd just concentrate on accuracy and then master the trajectory/windage adjustments and not worry so much about velocity.........................
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Complete bullshit. During hunting season I might see a 70 degree temp swing from one day to the next. Am I going to sight in every morning?

I'd have to call BS on that as well Rancho.
Too many temp swings in a season & sometimes on one trip to not worry about it for me.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 03/31/12
My new 300 wsm just came in so I'm starting load development for it. 208 amax, cci250, Norma brass, 62g RL-17 =2880fps from my 24" brux. 2.95 col I have a Wyatt's on a predator action so I can feed from the mag and kiss the lands.

I plan on trying a few other powders soon.

Bb
Cool, please post the updates.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 03/31/12
I had good luck with H4831sc and 200 grain Accubonds. Loads were slightly compressed with 69 grains(max-load in my two 300WSM's) and COAL at 2.880", 2850-2900fps.
Tried R17 and it didn't work nearly as well with 200's, of course it might work great for you.

I shoot 175/180's in my rifles with R17. Haven't had any issues with temps from 10-70F with several different lots of powder. Might have had a slight velocity decrease but looking at old notes accuracy was fine until it got colder than 10F, that's when groups starting opening up.

Don't doubt that some people had issues though, I just didn't notice any until it got colder than 10F.

................You are an idiot Locoweed! There MAY be temp swings to a greater degree, but then again there MAY not be.

Either way, I have never had any issue with POI using any powder I`ve chosen which happens to be more temp sensative, EVEN IF there were 50 degree or more differences during hunts after sighting in at camp beforehand.

So you can go pound sand,,,you perverbial clown.

Complete bullshit? Your ass has far more coming out from it.
Bullshit? yeah, post some pix form alllll those hunts you've done.

You're the biggest joke on this website.

................You are an idiot Locoweed! There MAY be temp swings to a greater degree, but then again there MAY not be.

Either way, I have never had any issue with POI using any powder I`ve chosen which happens to be more temp sensative, EVEN IF there were 50 degree or more differences during hunts after sighting in at camp beforehand.

So you can go pound sand,,,you perverbial clown.

Stop [bleep] goats and grow the [bleep] up!

That's coming from a dead guy, folks.

....Tell ya what big guy..YOU come down here and I`ll be more than happy to show you everything I`ve got. Hundreds of pics for ya.....Right here!

Then let`s hear you open up that clap trap mouth of yours face to face in front of me when not behind that keyboard of yours??

You can become a HUGE hero on this forum! Since you know so damn much, then come on down and prove to yourself and to all that,,,,YOU ARE RIGHT, and that I am the biggest joke on this site.

And depending what comes out of that damn mouth of yours, then I`ll decide whether or not to mate any hemarroidal tissue that you might have with your atoms apple.

Should I call UUUU a coward now or give you some time to think about it?

Always big chatter from the "residence" keyboard? Hell that`s easy for the,,,,Rancho Loco!

Come down and prove to yourself and to this forum that I don`t have pics, don`t shoot, don`t hunt or whatever......OK? How about that?

But you`ll never do that. Nope! Why of course not. Too safe and sound from behind your keyboard. wink wink wink

Posted By: Tanner Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/01/12
Another good thread ruined by someone with absolutely nothing to offer. Great stuff.
he's a gem!!! really upset that he didn't really die!

....Tell ya what big guy..YOU come down here and I`ll be more than happy to show you everything I`ve got. Hundreds of pics for ya.....Right here!

Then let`s hear you open up that clap trap mouth of yours face to face in front of me when not behind that keyboard of yours??

You can become a HUGE hero on this forum! Since you know so damn much, then come on down and prove to yourself and to all that,,,,YOU ARE RIGHT, and that I am the biggest joke on this site.

And depending what comes out of that damn mouth of yours, then I`ll decide whether or not to mate any hemarroidal tissue that you might have with your atoms apple.

Should I call UUUU a coward now or give you some time to think about it?

Always big chatter from the "residence" keyboard? Hell that`s easy for the,,,,Rancho Loco!

Come down and prove to yourself and to this forum that I don`t have pics, don`t shoot, don`t hunt or whatever......OK? How about that?

But you`ll never do that. Nope! Why of course not. Too safe and sound from behind your keyboard. wink wink wink

TFF! It's like deja vu with you all over again. You're always soooo eager to get someone down your way to push your sheeit in.

If only for fairness:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread..._M_ALIVE_I_M_ALIVE_I_M_ALIVE#Post5710569

What a gem!
Originally Posted by bearstalker

That's coming from a dead guy, folks.
............Another azz-bite typing! C`mon down. I`ll show ya just how dead I am there bearstalker. I`ll even intro ya to my niece`s son who perpetrated my death as a joke from my computer. Has another month to go on his restriction. We can catch him at home.

You, Rancho, plus anyone else can all come down together. The more the merrier! We`ll have some real fun after your mouths begin to open up.

Aside from teaching on the mats while in private residences, in a studio gym or in company warehouses and back offices, I`d love to put my craft to some other good uses on some "very" special folk, who just love to throw their usual crap from behind their keyboards.

Regardless of the weather, how many have successfully hunted using the higher sensative powders regardless of the weather temps?.........Naaa! Nevermind that! Can`t bring that up.

So as usual someone like Rancho starts things off with no provocation from me. And then like sheep over a cliff the big "bearstalker" follows up!...........Very good!

Safety in #s from behind the keyboards.

feel free to show me how bad you are... i'm all for it!
Don't you have a karate class to teach? There are some yellow belts in dire need of guidance.
no, i'm more a soccer mom teacher myself... grins
Who the [bleep] wrestles at work?! LOL. Has to be a Cali thing. You can't script this any better!
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
he's a gem!!! really upset that he didn't really die!
..........I won`t stop ya from trying to finish the job there Mr. Pauly Po-lak. Since you seem so upset that I didn`t really die, then you`re certainly welcome to finish the job! I don`t want you "REALLY" upset. laugh laugh laugh
[bleep] tard, you couldn't hang...
Haha every post gets better and better... How's that roundhouse lookin?! laugh
Who the [bleep] wrestles at work?! LOL. Has to be a Cali thing. You can't script this any better!
........It isn`t wrestling that I have taught for a living during the last some 36+ years there Mr. Bearstalker. I`m sure your brain just might be able to allow you to figure that one out...... laugh laugh laugh

A Calif thing? Yep! Lot`s who teach "the arts" down here. laugh laugh laugh
You realize threatening to kick someone's ass (with karate) on the internet stopped working about five minutes after it was invented?
Aside from teaching on the mats while in private residences, in a studio gym or in company warehouses and back offices

I'm sitting here laughing at the thought of living room karate.
[bleep] tard, you couldn't hang...
........Won`t stop ya from finding out Mr Pauly as to who exactly will wind up hanging where.

But you can always come down and "personally" test this "[bleep] tard" for yourself if you`d like........:D laugh laugh

You can be the forum hero.

why don't you come to me?
Aside from teaching on the mats while in private residences, in a studio gym or in company warehouses and back offices

I'm sitting here laughing at the thought of living room karate.
..........Who said anything about a living room? But you`re such the educated one. I don`t privately teach people who own small to medium sized homes. Most of my business is teaching groups from specialized private security firms and groups in law enforcement using their facilities. Under contract with three now with a fourth firm soon to follow.

Karate? Hmmmmmmmmmmm, could be! And other art forms too.

Did I keep UUU laughing some more?.........Good! Laugh away.

You can go to bed tonight with a smile on your face. laugh laugh laugh laugh
bigtard, I found that video you were telling me about of you and your black-belt buddy earning your black belts.

This is seriously all I can picture whenever someone starts talking about kicking somebody elses ass on the internet and how good they are at karate. Thank you for the entertainment... this stuff can simply not be scripted.
Oh chit, that's [bleep] hilarious.....[Linked Image]
I wonder if all these "firms" he contacts with would want to hear about him going around the 'net threatening people with his mad karate skills.

Someone with a ZERO amount of professionalism isn't exactly what they want...

I wonder if all these "firms" he contacts with would want to hear about him going around the 'net threatening people with his mad karate skills.

I work with one just like him susposedly a 6th degree black belt. Makes you wonder..... whistle
why don't you come to me?
....................And you will re-arrange my teaching schedules and tell all those whom I`m under contract with to cancel for a few days?

Who goes to whom, works both ways there Pauly. You wanna be a forum hero and be da man? Have at it pal.

Wanna be a hero, then PM me when you get to So Cal.

The only thing that will beat you to Kaiser Permenente which is about a mile from me, are the headlights on the ambulance you`ll be riding in.

You really wanna fully confront someone (unarmed btw) with 52+ years experience (since the age of 7) in full contact martial arts, who did own and taught (along with a partner) 3 studios from 1977 to 1993-94, and someone who has also taught since 1994?

You that dumb and foolish Pauly? If you really want to be the big hero and prove yourself, I`m down here in So Cal.

I`m not losing a bunch of money plus dealing with added contractural consequences because of you or anyone else on this forum. Now maybe you are retired with little to do, but I enjoy what I do, which also carries with it many prior obligations and responsibilities.

You want to confront me? Then you come here. Besides! More than likely compared to where you may live, there are plenty of close hospitals here for ya to choose from...:D laugh

It's like he's special or something.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I work with one just like him susposedly a 6th degree black belt. Makes you wonder..... whistle
............Yeah Locoweed! Threats? Only if you choose to go eye ball to eye ball with me. Your choice if carried out.

Consider it an invitation to a coward.
And you will re-arrange my teaching schedules and tell all those whom I`m under contract with to cancel for a few days?

Who goes to whom, works both ways there Pauly. You wanna be a forum hero and be da man? Have at it pal.

The only thing that will beat you to Kaiser Permenente which is about a mile from me, are the headlights on the ambulance you`ll be riding in.

You really wanna fully confront someone (unarmed btw) with 52+ years experience (since the age of 7) in full contact martial arts, who did own and taught (along with a partner) 3 studios from 1977 to 1993-94, and someone who has also taught since 1994?

You that dumb and foolish Pauly? If you really want to be the big hero and prove yourself, I`m down here in So Cal.

I`m not losing a bunch of money plus dealing with added contractural consequences because of you or anyone else on this forum. Now maybe you are retired with little to do, but I enjoy what I do, which also carries with it many prior obligations and responsibilities.

You want to confront me? Then you come here. Besides! More than likely compared to where you may live, there are plenty of close hospitals here for ya to choose from...:D laugh

Between this blowhard and larry root, this place sure is entertaining!
Originally Posted by Tanner
bigtard, I found that video you were telling me about of you and your black-belt buddy earning your black belts.

This is seriously all I can picture whenever someone starts talking about kicking somebody elses ass on the internet and how good they are at karate. Thank you for the entertainment... this stuff can simply not be scripted.
...........Oh! You`re very welcome. Good and funny vid btw. Glad to be entertaining.

And you will re-arrange my teaching schedules and tell all those whom I`m under contract with to cancel for a few days?

Between this blowhard and larry root, this place sure is entertaining!
.............C`mon down and see the "blowhard!" grin grin grin grin ............Prove yourself to be correct about me and be the real man of the forum LOCO!

Nope! You`ll just continue to do what you do best. Keyboard trashin from the comforts of home.
Posted By: RDW Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/01/12
For some reason the thread took a turn and reminds me of this video, lots of talk for about 2 minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pjYGqPPMmA

Didn't that kung-fu [bleep] die once upon a time?..
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Didn't that kung-fu [bleep] die once upon a time?..
............. laugh laugh......Only as part of a big joke did I die............Still here "Great Waaaapoopi" laugh laugh
You've got the Big Joke Squeeze part right.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
You've got the Big Joke Squeeze part right.
....... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh.........Ahhhh...Whatever you say!

To Webmaster,

Due to recent events, the compromising of my password (bigsqueeze83) and overall member sentiment here, it is in the best interests of this forum that I permanently resign from it.

Please delete asap my user name from your data.

Thank you

Posted By: logcutter Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/01/12

Lets see some of your hunts/elk/deer/ camp/camping trips or fishing...

Jayco

snicker.. logsucker is defending bigsqueeze.

Originally Posted by logcutter

I would give alot of money to wrestle you

grin
And you wrote this to Osok this morning...

Man up.....

Loco wrote:
Or you can prove me wrong and post ONE photo of you doing anything related to hunting, fishing, or shooting.

waiting...

I want more than one..Prove it stud...But you can't/can you...

Jayco

Come on Loco you phony little POS...

Do what you asked to posters to do today..Post pictures to prove you are an outdoors man and have hunted or fished in any way.

I'll start for you then your next...Show us your just not a keyboard commando and actual get out and hunt/fish etc like the rest here.

[Linked Image]

Your all mouth and only mouth or you could back it up if you can!!!!

Jayco

Your a phricken phonie mother trucker..You challenge two people here today with the same thing I am asking you to do....Why won't or can't you post pictures to show your the hunter/stud you think you are

Probably because you cannot back up your mouth...

This year for me..........
[Linked Image]

Your a joke.....And a phonie in every way...Back it up or shut up..You said it and challenged....

Jayco

Someone calls your bluff and you run like the coward you are...

Just one picture stud..Just one as you challenged Okok and Bigsqeese to do.....Never happen will it...I'll be your huckleberry...

[Linked Image]

Your turn...Coward...............

Jayco

Let's do this where everyone can see what a looser you are....

On the hunters campfire....

See ya' there...

Jayco

Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/02/12
This thread has totally gone to crap but I chronied a few more loads in my new 300 WSM. The 208 Amax over 72g H1000 went 2818 fps. I don't think I can get anymore powder in my norma cases but I'll try to get 72.5 and chrony it again. 72 is definitely compressed. I also tried 190 vld's over 68g of hunter and got 2940 fps. I'll load up some of each and get them on paper.

Bb
Posted By: RDW Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/02/12
No signs of pressure yet?

And, what was the ambient temperature when you chrony'd?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/02/12
It was about 45 degrees. Brass looks good, no pressure on the bolt lift, primer getting flat.

Tried 69g of hunter with the 190 vld. It clocked 3018 fps. If it groups it could be a decent hunting load. Always work up when dealing with hunter. I've had some pretty big lot differences.

Bb
Posted By: RDW Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/03/12
I have a 3/4 pound of H1000 so I will try it along with H4350. It will probably be in the mid-80's by the time I can test loads. Thanks for the info!
Let's do this where everyone can see what a looser you are....

On the hunters campfire....

See ya' there...

Jayco

Damn, you guys need to get a room. Just don't walk in with your nice new 24 hr. campfire hats on, wouldn't want to give the rest of us a bad name..... whistle
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/03/12
I just tried the 208 Amax over H4350. 62g gave me a muzzle velocity of 2743 and was starting to show some pressure signs. It's about 52 degrees outside. Tried one group and it wasn't too great, about 1.25" at 100.

I'll try H4831sc next. I'm hoping to find something with an extreme powder that will shoot well with the 208's.

Bb
Posted By: 7mmRM Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/04/12
Not the AMAX, but the 208 HPBT-

300WSM
208 HPBT just touching the lands
62.5 of H4350
Winchester brass
Fed210M
2807 FPS AVG via 24" tube
ES 12 SD 8
.5 MOA
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/04/12
208 Amax 68g H4831= 2842 fps 3/4 moa 24" barrel starting to see pressure signs. went up to 68.5 and then backed down .5

Bb
48 of H4831?

Dober
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/04/12
Fixed my typo. With the amount of typo's I've made from my iphone I probably better quit posting charge weights.

Thanks Dober
No probelemo, it was more of a check up for me. Brad gave me some 208's to give a go in my 300 shorty mag and I wanted to be sure I wasn't too far out to lunch with it...grin

Dober
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/05/12
So far RL- 17 and h4831sc have shown the most potential with the 208 in my gun but it's still early in the process.

Just for fun I chronied one of the new hornady 225 bthp's over h1000 and it clocked 2750. I might have to play with that some more when I have time. I've heard a bc of .70 works well for that bullet.

Bb
Posted By: EddyBo Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 04/06/12
I shot my first long range groups on my range with 208s and a 300WSM. I had shot a good bit before but on my personal range this is the first groups on my range at 800 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm liking that.. Might have to load some of those up in my .300 SAUM.
Posted By: RDW Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 05/19/12
I had a chance to shoot the 208's, I only had six brass ready to go and I loaded them right before heading out the door. I didn't find H4350 data for 208 so I used data for 200 with a max of 62.0. Two groups of three at 61.0 and 61.5, 200 yards with the wind at my back.

3.017" in the lands, seated at 3.015"

1.950" at 61.0

1.150" at 61.5

Posted By: RDW Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 05/19/12
Does this look right?

QL shows 2 grs more powder for about the same pressure and velocity for the 208 A-Max as Hodgdon listed for a 200gr soft point.

Here is the url http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7229/7227783868_e13288f952_b.jpg

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 05/22/12
Finally got my new 8# can of H4831sc. It took Wideners forever to ship it. Just started loading for the WSM again and this lot is quite a ways off of my last can. The new lot is slower so I'm working up again. My rifle is showing a preference for 200g accubonds but I'm still hoping to pin down a 208 load.

It also likes the 150 ttsx over superformance and is clocking over 3400fps. I built it for an all around hunting gun ssssssso liking 200 NAB's and 150 ttsx's isn't a bad thing. It also shoots the 150's at 3400+ and the 200's at 2850ish to the same poi.

Bb
Posted By: RDW Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 05/26/12
Bb, you gonna shoot the 208's or not?

Anyhow, I worked up more loads to get a baseline for velocity before switching over to moly'd 208's. I used the hunting load from last year to check zero and dirty the bore.

200 yards, about 80 degrees, 10 'o clock wind @ 6-8 mph.

Far right, 180 Deep Curl over H4350

1.26".

Upper left, last group, 155 Scenar's over H4350, fired in less than thirty seconds because people were waiting on me to hang targets and I wanted to go downrange and get my target; I hate shoot by the hour ranges but that's all we have.

Upper left

3.10" - 3160, 3138, 3165

Left dot, 208 A-Max over 60.8 H4350

1.98" (2796, 2794, 2781)

Second from left dot, 208 A-Max over 61.1 H4350

2.30" (2821, 2816, 2824)

Middle dot, 208 A-Max over 61.4 H4350

1.50" (2801, 2818, 2846)

Far right dot, 208 A-Max over 61.7 H4350, not too shabby

1.10" (2854, 2850, 2845)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rusty815 Re: 300WSM and the 208 A-Max - 07/18/12
Well, seeing as how I just found this thread, guess I should add to this, heres my data:

Rifle: Savage 16FLHSS
24" factory barrel 1 in 10
rifle basix trigger
Weaver 3-15x50 EMDR

Remington Brass
CCI LRM Primers
208gr. Hornady A-max
2.950" OAL

Reloader 19
66gr. = 2797fps average, 17 ES, .54 MOA
67gr. = 2815fps average, 15 ES, .51 MOA
68gr. = 2851fps average, 22 ES, .58 MOA
69gr. = 2884fps average, 20 ES, .61 MOA

Reloader 17
64gr. = 2879fps average, 4 ES, .74 MOA
65gr. = 2928fps average, 15 ES, .64 MOA
66gr. = 2968fps average, 8 ES, .53 MOA

My chronograph I have found to give numbers about 15-20fps lower than what is actually the case, I am going to do load development between 65.5gr. and 66gr. of Reloader 17; I believe there is an a good accuracy node there. 66gr. was my max load, gave me slight pressure signs, and I was shooting in 110 degree weather, so that is where I am setting my max at. I believe the accuracy node is probably going to be 65.7gr. with a MV of about 2960-2970fps after adding on the extra velocity lost with the chrono.

I'm also going to test 230gr. Berger OTM's with Reloader 17, I did a test with Reloader 19 and got a bit over 2600fps, so I am certain I can achieve 2700fps with Reloader 17.
© 24hourcampfire