Home
Posted By: Xs247 New long range Yote gun - 06/28/12
I'm planning to build a new Yote gun. At this point the plan is to buy a 700 varmint .243and cut the barrel to 22". I plan to put it in a McMillan stock...I'm hoping this will fit in a Gamescout, but if not an A-3 sporter.
The goal is to keep the weight reasonable, somewhere around 8.5#
Am I on the right track?
Posted By: 264wm Re: New long range Yote gun - 06/29/12
Take a look at olympic arms 243wssm or 25wssm.
Posted By: KDK Re: New long range Yote gun - 06/29/12
I have a .204 in an A3 Sporter, and I think that even with chopping the barrel a bunch, you are going to have a hard time making weight with that stock.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 06/29/12
Thats good to know. I'm waffling between running a sporter weight barrell or the varmint barrell. Eventually when funds allow its getting a new barrel either way. I may just pickup a sporter barrell instead then, as I don't want to be carrying around a most anchor.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: New long range Yote gun - 06/29/12
Why a special rifle for coyotes?

Why not just use one of your big game rifles? Many of us have magnum or a 30-06 that will reach out there.

Of course any excuse for another rifle is a good one!
Posted By: Cocadori Re: New long range Yote gun - 06/29/12
Long range and 22" are hard to find a good combination with.

Longer barrel, higher velocities and more powder burn efficiency tend to jive with 24"++ barrels.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: New long range Yote gun - 06/29/12
+1 Sounds more like a mountain rifle build in the 22 inch pipe.

Go long heavy barrel, and get that slippery turd fly far and fast.
Posted By: Nrut Re: New long range Yote gun - 06/29/12
I would go with a stainless SPS..
It's 24" barrel is heavy enough for LR shooting..
Posted By: 264wm Re: New long range Yote gun - 06/30/12
If its long and fast then its my 264wm 30" barrel 1 in 8 twist weighing in at 12.5 lbs. HP near 4000fps. No Yote will out run that. :-)
it just depends on what long range is to you. for me I want to shoot to 1000 yards, IMO this requires an 8 twist barrel and a VLD bullet of at least 105 grains or more in weight. this is talking 243 which is a good choice IMO. I don't think the remington factory twist will shot 105 grain bullets, you will find some doing it but to guarantee it is a stretch.
Posted By: Cocadori Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/01/12
OP buggered out ..shoulda guessed...
Posted By: ghost Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/01/12
As cummingscowboy noted, if anything, you want a longer barrel, and faster twist. In 1,000 yds shooting, those using a 308 go with a 30" barrel, and a 190 gr bullet, to keep the speed up, so it'll get to a 1,000 yds, and still be above sonic speed, as dropping below that can, and usually does, destroy accuracy. If LR is deemed to be 600 yds or less, then a shorter barrel and lighter bullets might work. But the factory barrel might not stabilize anything over 90grs, if that. If you're looking at a new barrel, why not get a beater cheap, then start on the project. Have seen 700s, though not the PSS or such, going for about 350 at auctions, sometims less. Also hope that, unless your a machinest or gunsmith, you're going to have someone like that cut the barrel back as more to it than just a hacksaw job. 2" of barrel not enough weight to worry about anyway. I'd leave it long and get a lighter stock.

Also might consider the 6mm Tubb or some such, as 243s not known for long barrel life due to case design.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/01/12
Originally Posted by Cocadori

Why "shoulda guessed"?
Perhaps my response should be "looks like the usual campfire thread crappers showed up, shoulda guessed!"
I don't sit online every day, and didn't reply in a couple. Sorry if it breaks some unknown campfire rule.
Thanks to those who replied in a productive manner, thanks to Cocadori for wasting bandwidth.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/01/12
Long range to me is banging a gong out to 800, and shooting some Yotes out to 500. A 22" should get me there, and should handle/carry better.
I'm thinking a 1/9.25 twist should have no trouble handling a 95 grn Berger, and even with the shorter pipe I should have no trouble getting to 800 with them.
Of course I'd use a gunsmith to cut/crown...a low post count doesnt always mean nube. I'm a very active shooter, member of many forums, and have been a lurker here for a couple years. Might just skip the cut/crown and just spoil myself with a new pipe straight outta the box.
Posted By: Cocadori Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/01/12
Originally Posted by Xs247
Originally Posted by Cocadori

Why "shoulda guessed"?
Perhaps my response should be "looks like the usual campfire thread crappers showed up, shoulda guessed!"
I don't sit online every day, and didn't reply in a couple. Sorry if it breaks some unknown campfire rule.
Thanks to those who replied in a productive manner, thanks to Cocadori for wasting bandwidth.

Much to my first post to this thread. I've poked at bit at distance. Screwed together a stick or two dedicated to long range.

Apologies for wasting your precious bandwidth and getting your panties in a bunch. I assumed that with your numerous posts and then lack of reply here you bailed.

Guess you know what they say about assuming...
Posted By: keith Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/01/12
Remington 700 Stainless sporter, 41.5g of IMR 4064, Fed 210 primer, Rem brass, 80g Sierra BTSP blitz or 80g Berger, is what 3 of my rifles have liked, and this load will get you to 500 and kill very well@3500 fps. I got 3600 out of a custom 26" barrel.

Work up to this load in your rifle.

Short 243 barrels are extremely loud. I would have a 223 or 22/250 set up for shorter ranges and the longer barrel set up for longer range....that is just me. If you are walking away from your stand making stands in the field, long shots are tough because of rifle stability.
Posted By: 264wm Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/02/12
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
it just depends on what long range is to you. for me I want to shoot to 1000 yards, IMO this requires an 8 twist barrel and a VLD bullet of at least 105 grains or more in weight. this is talking 243 which is a good choice IMO. I don't think the remington factory twist will shot 105 grain bullets, you will find some doing it but to guarantee it is a stretch.

Just ordered 150 JLK 6.5 130gr VLD's .620 BC. They should do the trick.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/03/12
Just picked up a Vortex 4-16x44 LR today, hopefully pickup my .243 this week to. Gonna go with the regular barrell. I don't want to lug around a heavy pipe, and the 24" barrell will still get me plenty of velocity.
Posted By: KDK Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/04/12
Sound like it might have possibilities. Post up some pics when you get a chance.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/04/12
It's not gong to be anything special, just a straight us SPS right out of the box. I'll see how it shoots and will likely order a McMillan for it and maybe look into a new barrel down the road too.
After carrying my heavy Vanguard varmint in a linage stock the last couple years, I'm looking forward to something a little more user friendly.
Posted By: mar21457 Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/05/12
hey what do you guys think of the 6.5 creedmore
I'd go 260 Rem instead of the Creedmore. But then again, I shoot at 6.5x55...
Posted By: efw Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/05/12
I've got a buddy here who built a fauxTI w/ factory parts. He had everything squared/trued, can't remember by whom, and it is a SHOOTER!

I throw that out there as a suggestion that you may not need an aftermarket tube to get pretty impressive performance.

Also, I am working w/ 95 gr VLDs in a 1/9.25" 243 win and none to encouraged by results frown so I hope yours does better!

Good luck I hope we'll see pics.... Welcome to the 'fire!
Perhaps a Tikka T3. You are likely to get the accuracy you want right off the bat, without having to buy a new barrel. Plus it will be in a weight that will be a joy to carry in the field.

I did a 6mm Remington Tikka T3 just for kicks.I took a perfectly good .243 barrel and unscrewed it and replaced it with a Lilja 6mm Remington tube, simply because I like 6 Rems, then dropped it into a laminate stock.

It is my idea of a long range dog zapper.

Of course now I have a Tikka .243 barrel that I have to figure out a use for.

[Linked Image]

I am never very far from a hot .22 when hunting coyotes, but I often have a heavier caliber handy for very long shots, or very windy days...have made up 7mm mags. .264's, .300's for the long range coyote zappers..they work well, but more than most want to fool with...I am currently considering a .243 in a Rem. lam. Varmit barrel...as an addition to my coyote line up..BUT right now if I had to pick one rifle for all my coyote hunting this fall...in would be my 700 rebarreled with a #5a Douglas in .25-06...I think McKay's 6mm would be a close second if I had one on a long action..
Posted By: PepeLp Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/08/12
.243bis my favorite caliber. It's super easy to shoot, tons of great bullets, and is a wicked killer. It just drops stuff.

Your plan of dropping a Rem 700 into a McMillan stock is a winner. Shoot it 'til the barrel pukes, then rebarrel with a 1-8" twist and go out and kill stuff. It will reach 1,200 yards easily.
Posted By: roninflag Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/09/12
i could not get the 95 to shoot out of my 9.25 factory barrel. my 8 twist krieger they shot great.
Posted By: keith Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/11/12
My rem 9 1/4 would not shoot the 95g berger, 88g flat base is a better idea along with the 80g flat base.

No telling what a barrel will like and not like.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/12/12
Lots of conflicting stories...some guys running 105 grns with no issues in a 1-10...other guys cant run 95s in a 1-9.25. I guess I will see once its together.
Posted By: LowBC Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/12/12
I run the 95 SMK out of my 6mm remington in the VLs config I think it is. Shoots those bullets well but I couldn"t tell you what the rate of twist is.
Posted By: chucknbach Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/14/12
Depends on the bullet. 105 berger needs a faster twist than a 105 Amax.

Oh yeah and velocity counts for something to.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/18/12
What is your definition of "long range"?

I have a variety of 243s with barrels from light 20" (Remington 7) to heavy 26" (Remington 700 VL), but find the 24" magnum contour 700 SPS or CDL-SF barrels to be quite a nice match with the McM Hunter stock. I don't have any particular trouble hitting MOA out to 600 yards, the limit of my local range, with the 95 grain BTs or Hornady SSTs. Either of those bullets would be fragile enough for killing coyotes out to at least 600 yards. I like to call them in closer if possible, but if they hang up at a distance it is nice to be able to reach out and nail them. Same/same with cats, as they are generally much more cautious than coyotes when it comes to leaving their concealment to search for that dying rabbit.

Because I have it in the truck more often than any other rifle when I'm out in the prairie, I generally shoot them with a Marlin XS-7 parts gun with a 1-9" ROT Stevens 200 barrel that I rechambered from 223 to 22-250 and shoot the 60 grain VMax, BT, and Partition, matching the bullet to the target.

Jeff
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/19/12
I wish someone made a factory 22-250 with a 18 or 1-9 twist...I am a bit concerned about making a mess of every Coyote I shoot with a .243...but want the flexability I get from it. Right now I have a .223 for Yotes, but its a heavy barrel with a Laminate thumbhole stock, and carrying it get really old really quickly...my deer gun is a .257 weatherby, and its too much for Yotes for sure. I thought I would split the difference and run a .243 for everything and make one right. Still waiting for my .223/.257 to sell, then I can pickup my new gun.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/19/12
If you could find a 700 CDL-SF in 257 Roberts, you'd have a good start and could use some of the .257" bullets that you're currently shooting in your Roy.

I have a couple of faux 700 CDL-SF parts guns in 243 and 257 Roberts that are bedded in McM Hunters. Both cover the same niche and a totally redundant, but both are also fun to shoot.

Jeff
Posted By: cobrad Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/20/12
I shot 58 gr. V-Max's out of a .243 Kimber Montana, at 3800 fps. It actually made a pretty good 500 yard rifle. It also made a good coyote rifle. I shot a bunch of them. Close in the bullets didn't exit, and far away they still expanded enough to kill well, but usually didn't blow them to pieces. I had a 7 rem mag built for a 1K varmint rifle last winter, but one day there will be a custom modeled after the remington sendero with a fast twist barrel chambered for the .243.
I run a 6.5x47 and a 22x47 lapua off a bat vr90 and mcmillan a3 sporter platform. both of these are effective to the 1k mark in the right hands. i use a a 130 berger vld in the 6.5 @2950 and a 80 grain jlk in the 22x47 @3340 fps. swithched from a 22-243 middlested last year "which is another good one with the heavy bullets" to try something different this year.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 07/25/12
Well....ended up going in a bit different direction...too many pics of Yotes inside out....decided I needed another .223 with a faster twist...ordered a .223 SPS Tactical and a Jewel trigger. It will get put into a Macmillan at some point...but given the lead times I'm not likely to see that for a long time, so I'm keeping my eyes on the specials page. I'm gonna try some 75 grn amax for the 700 yard gongs, and some 53 grn vmax for the yotes(assuming they shoot)
I have a 4-16 Vortex Viper LR here for it...I think this should be a nice rig....and if I find they are hanging up too often, I can bring out my .257 anyway.
Posted By: 5spd Re: New long range Yote gun - 08/13/12
I built a 6x45 on a Savage action I had specifically for coyote & antelope and have no problem hitting the 700 yard steel with a 65g vmax load. Its even more accurate at 700yds with noslers 95g hunting BT bullet.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/02/12
Just took delivery of my new 700 tactical in .223. I had a Jewel trigger installed, and it's perfect. Mounted the Vortex 4-16x44 LR in some Talley mediums(shoulda went with lows, will probably swap em out). Now I just have to work up some loads. It looks like I will be able to mag feed 70 gr. VLDs, and I have some 53gr Vmax to burn up as well. Hopefully get out Wednesday to run it. Definetly need a new stock, as the Hogue is horrible(love the feel, but it's like a noodle).
Thanks everyone for their replies,!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mcseal2 Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/02/12
You won't wreck yotes with a 243 with the right bullets. I shoot 30-50 per year mostly with 70gr BT or 75gr V-max from a 6mm and 243 and seldom have an exit wound. My favorite yote load currently is a 70gr BT from my custom 6mm over a max load of Superformance. Velocity averages 3924fps for excellent knockdown, no exits, and no worry about holdover inside 350yds.
Posted By: roninflag Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/04/12
Originally Posted by Xs247
Just took delivery of my new 700 tactical in .223. I had a Jewel trigger installed, and it's perfect. Mounted the Vortex 4-16x44 LR in some Talley mediums(shoulda went with lows, will probably swap em out). Now I just have to work up some loads. It looks like I will be able to mag feed 70 gr. VLDs, and I have some 53gr Vmax to burn up as well. Hopefully get out Wednesday to run it. Definetly need a new stock, as the Hogue is horrible(love the feel, but it's like a noodle).
Thanks everyone for their replies,!
[Linked Image]
your model 700 has a twist fast enought to stabalize a 70 grain bullet?? i am a sako /remington guy; but savage makes a 22-250 ( lrpv) with a fast twist and they have won a lot of matches out to 600 yards. you do not say where you are shooting /hunting coyotes.
Posted By: Xs247 Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/04/12
It's a 1-9" twist, which should spin a 70 grn. If not I'll try something else. Likely will shoot the 53 grn Vmax for yotes anyway and run the 70 grn Bergers for long range steel. I'll shoot 50 dogs at less than 300 yards for every one I'd shoot at 400+, so I'm not loosing any sleep over it.
Posted By: DayPacker Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/04/12
Just take a 243 factory barrel and learn to shoot. When the barrel is shot out, move to a custom 1 in 8 twist for heavier custom bullets at the longer ranges.
Posted By: 65BR Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/04/12
Originally Posted by Mcseal2
You won't wreck yotes with a 243 with the right bullets. I shoot 30-50 per year mostly with 70gr BT or 75gr V-max from a 6mm and 243 and seldom have an exit wound. My favorite yote load currently is a 70gr BT from my custom 6mm over a max load of Superformance. Velocity averages 3924fps for excellent knockdown, no exits, and no worry about holdover inside 350yds.

Is 39...24 a typo?
Posted By: cobrad Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/05/12
3924 fps sounds smokin' fast with that bullet. I shot boxes of the 53 gr. V-Max's through my 22" Kimber barrel at 3810 fps. It was a really good bullet for me in the 4-500 yard range.
Posted By: kroo88 Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/05/12
That kind of speed would make most 240 Wby Mag owners a tad jealous.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/05/12
Those kind of speeds blow up bullets on impact. So I wouldn't get to jeaulous until they actually have shot a coyote at under 350 yd with bullets going 3900+ ft/sec. They are near fragmentation point when they leave the barrel. I blew up a few 6.5 SMK on shoulder shot coyotes under 200 yds. They were travelling between 3100-3200 ft/sec. Never chronographed them in weather less than zero to see for sure.
Posted By: roninflag Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/11/12
Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by Mcseal2

Is 39...24 a typo?
65br i got 3767 with my 243 hart 28.5 inch barrel with varget and no pressure. it was fast enough and accurate enough for me. killed a coyote a 494 yard with that load . dead right there. i did not experimant to see what I COULD get at the upper end. maybe mcseal has a 6mmackimp.
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/13/12
That does sound high for a 70gr. I can get 3968avg with a 55gr but that's pushing it pretty good. I would like to get a 70 to shoot that.
Posted By: sscoyote Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/13/12
Don't think the short barrels won't shoot distance. Have taken this rig to 700 yds. on rocks,etc. and it hasn't failed me yet. Actually won the MOA field shoot this past year with it with shots taken out to 450. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a dog under ideal conditions to 600 with this rig. 22-250/8T McGowen/80 A-Max @ 2850/3.5-15 NF--

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cobrad Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/14/12
Steve, good to hear from you. Is this one of your pistols?
I had another 1000 of the JLD 52 gr low drag show up not long ago. I'm thinking I should start seeing enough throat erosion after this batch to justify a re-barrel of the old Cooper 22-250. New barrel will be a fast twist 22-250 shooting the heavy bullets. I've been having such great success with the Berger VLD's in a couple of other rifles this year I am considering going to another 243 just to use those bullets. Serious long range bullet there.
Posted By: cobrad Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/14/12
Well, how do you like that. Photo of your handgun didn't load until after I posted the first time.
I'm fast....
Posted By: sscoyote Re: New long range Yote gun - 09/15/12
Hey Brad--yes sir it is. Have another 270 SAUM XP handgun new this year in McMillan rear grip, and will hopefully have loads ready by coyote season. I bet those big 24 cal. Berger's are geat for this app.
© 24hourcampfire