Home
I'm looking to make a 1000 yard tactical rifle. I'm choosing the 338 RUM because I have the action (Remington 700) and its a lot cheaper to shoot than the 338 Laupa. I want the rig to way aprox 11-12 lbs without a scope. I need some recommendations on barrel contour and muzzle brakes. I'm going with McMillan A-3 stock.
have you checked pac-nor?
I hope not. A rifle like that cries for a Brux, or Kreiger, or Rock, or Bartlein. You dont see the really good 1000 yd guys running Pac nor
Brux, Broughton, Krieger, Bartlein.
Holland Radial Gen 2 for the brake-Awesome brake!
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
I hope not. A rifle like that cries for a Brux, or Kreiger, or Rock, or Bartlein. You dont see the really good 1000 yd guys running Pac nor

I agree 100%, have to agree with xphunter also and put Broughton in the mix.
Bartlein....you can buy them here www.grizzly.com
hglass,

I wont be suggesting a barrel or a brake. But I thought it might be good to tell you about a friend who is a very good shooter. He won his state's three gun competition at least once that I know of. He purchased a .338 RUM and had a brake installed. He was regularly getting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Since I know he can shoot considerably better than that I asked him how he was holding the rifle.

I suggested he hold it like a BB gun. This gives the brake a chance to do its job. That's the way I hold all my stuff because I use brakes on everything, except the rim fires. From then on he gets 1/2" groups at 100 yards.
Cut Rifled Rem Sendero or Light Palma contour should bring you in on weight. Light Palma should give you enough shank to set the chamber back once.
© 24hourcampfire