Home
You who have killed stuff with it, what sort of expansion and penetration do you get at various ranges ? what would you say is it's minimum impact velocity for expansion ?
Any problems with them breaking up too fast ? E
I've used that bullet and seen it used many, many times by friends who shoot .308's and 30/06's. I never seen that bullet break up too fast. Even on close in shots. I think that the jackets are pretty hard. I've seen four mature bull elk taken with it at 350, 488, 540 and 630 yards. Two were broadside rib shots and two were shoulder shots. The rib shot bulls were dead on their feet and never went more than 20 yards. The front shouldered bulls were dropped instantly and never moved. The bullet broke both shoulders and left a 1.5" exit holes on both of them.

Both of the .308's that I hunt with, drive that bullet at 2950fps. It's an incredibly accurate bullet.

I can post some pictures of those bulls, if you want to have a look.
Care to compare it to the Bergers you've been shooting? Does the Scenar seem to penetrate a couple of inches and then expand violently like Bergers are supposed to?
scenar, what is the best long range hunting bullet currently out there for a 30-06??
I wonder if it expands at all. With the empty nose and being so tail heavy I suspect it tumbles. Ever seen any elongated exits?

Has anyone ever recovered one?
I have now taken 2 elk with the 155gr Scenar. 1 out of a custom 30-06, and the other out of my GAP 308. Both bullets exited, both elk were DRT. Exits look like there is plenty of expansion, and lungs are jelly. Not much to not like with this bullet, IMO.
Scenarshooter

Have you run other weights of same bullet? I'm just curious about the expansion of others vs something like a bergers expansion.

I'm generally more inclined to shoot heavier weights than a lot of folks do.

So far the target version of the Berger has done really well for me.

Thanks, Jeff
Thanks Scenarshooter. Appreciate the imput. E
Jeff,

I've shot the 167gr scenar and the 185gr version in several .308's. They shot very well on paper and steel, but I have hardly any experience shooting big game with those two .308 diameter bullets. It was hard to use anything but the 155's after seeing how well they shot. It(155gr)actually has a higher BC than the 167gr. I'll bet those 185's would really shine in a 30/06 or .300WM.

Are you shooting the 185 Bergers? .308 Win.?
[Linked Image]

I normally aim for the ribcage, behind the shoulder....as you can see, the bullet took this bull more or less through the right front shoulder as he was slowly walking toward the timber broadside. The range was 350 yards. I had time to put the adjustment in the scope, and was set up prone on top of a flat rock. It was a good solid set up and there was no wind. I was holding on the front of his chest. He dropped on the spot and never moved. The 155 left probably a 1 1/2", round exit on the left shoulder.
[Linked Image]

My pal Don with a mule deer buck taken with his 30/06 and a 155gr scenar. This buck was less than 100 yards and was hit broadside, behind the shoulder. He ran maybe 50 yards before piling up. There was a good looking exit on the off side.
[Linked Image]

This black bear was a good test for the 155gr scenar. I spotted him right before dark working some green grass along a strip of Douglas Fir. He was 490 yards from where I was sitting. There was a small bunch of elk between us, so the shot would have to be made from where I was. Just a gentle breeze in my face was all I could find for wind. I voice howled like a coyote to get him to stop and look my way. He wasn't perfectly broadside so I had to hold near his left hip to angle the bullet towards the off shoulder. When I fired, the recoil knocked me back just enough that I didn't see the impact. I saw him trotting toward the heavy cover, not running, but slowing down to a walk just before he went out of sight. I land marked the spot in my mind and made my way over there. He was dead only a few yards from where I saw him go out of view. The bullet hit very close to where I was aiming and exited just behind his right front shoulder.

Interesting note on this bear, he was 12 years old and I guessed him to weigh around 300 pounds. He had the biggest feet I've ever seen on a black bear. Some of the best fur too.
Scenarshooter,

What about big elk and deer, though? grin

In all seriousness, my range shop had some 155 Scenars, and I picked up a box. I shoot a 30-06, and have about 8.5 lbs of IMR4350. Have you tried IMR4350 with the 155s in a 30-06?

v/r
Joel

Has anyone ran the 6.5mm 123gr Scenar on deer sized game?

Thanks
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Jeff,

I've shot the 167gr scenar and the 185gr version in several .308's. They shot very well on paper and steel, but I have hardly any experience shooting big game with those two .308 diameter bullets. It was hard to use anything but the 155's after seeing how well they shot. It(155gr)actually has a higher BC than the 167gr. I'll bet those 185's would really shine in a 30/06 or .300WM.

Are you shooting the 185 Bergers? .308 Win.?

Yes exactly. 185 VLD target bergers, 308 26 inch rock tube.

I just still have an old aversion to light bullets from when we started shooting targets out to 1000. ANd have an aversion to large exit wounds and lots of meat damage but thats just my problem. Luckily.

I keep thinking of trying the 155s since they have a high BC, but keep thinking of how frangible they might be. But you may have just convinced me to see how they'd go out of a 10 twist... if you only have 1.5 inch exit out of elk shoulders then its not blowing up like a BT either and maybe not quite like a berger hunting version either.

Thanks, Jeff
They've worked well with 1-11"....I'll bet they would shoot fine with a 1-10".

I agree, the jackets are harder than Berger Hunting VLD's.

I can send you a handful to try if you'd like.
sencarshooter,

Compare the 155 Berger .308 'Hunting' to the Sencar 155 for game where the angle may vary besides broadside hits.

The cartridge would be the 30-06 and a 300 magnum.

Also is there a performance difference on game between the:
LAPUA .308 155 HPBT and the
LAPUA .308 155 HPBT SJ ?

Thank you for your input.
The 155 SJ(silver jacket) is just a fancy name for moly coated. There would be no difference on expansion.

My opinion is the scenar will out penetrate the Berger Hunting VLD.

As far as "raking shots" are concerned, I probably wouldn't try it on elk sized critters, but I don't really like that shot with any bullet on larger big game animals. Only my opinion.
[Linked Image]

Large, mature mule deer buck I took with my Surgeon .308 and one 155gr scenar at 514 yards about five years ago. He was chasing a doe and was unaware of me. I waited for the perfect shot, hitting him through the ribs. He went less than 50 yards. The bullet exited.
You're killing me. Can't wait to get my 308 and try out the Scenars.
[Linked Image]

My brother in law's buck he shot back in 2006....same bullet. If I remember right, it was around 300 yards. This one came out on our backs. Remote section of the Missouri Breaks.
[Linked Image]

Large, mature mule deer buck I took with my Surgeon .308 and one 155gr scenar at 514 yards about five years ago. He was chasing a doe and was unaware of me. I waited for the perfect shot, hitting him through the ribs. He went less than 50 yards. The bullet exited.

Must be one of those Canadian bucks that got lost. Great looking deer!
I still like those bucks that come out in backpacks.

Means I was hunting some good country.

With good bullets and someone who can shoot, the little ol' .308 is capable of more than most will credit it with. Easy to shoot and easy on barrels too - so a guy can actually shoot it enough to get good, real good!

Guy
+1...on both the backpacks and .308's!
I have often wondered if it was tumbling as well after I saw this cutaway but it seems penetration is to consistent.
[Linked Image]
This thread makes me want to try the 155 scenar in my 1:12" 300 saum...
[Linked Image]

My pal Don with a mule deer buck taken with his 30/06 and a 155gr scenar. This buck was less than 100 yards and was hit broadside, behind the shoulder. He ran maybe 50 yards before piling up. There was a good looking exit on the off side.

What load is he using with the 155 Scenars in his '06?
What I recall he suggests for loads in the '06 is H4350. Start at maximum, and load down until you find an accurate load. Going to try that in the reverse order myself. I'm also going to try Ramshot Big Game the same way. E
Loaded up a batch in the 300 H&H this week. Be another week till I can hit the range. Will try some 100 gr GS Customs in the Kimber bob. My Rem 700 CDL SF Bob loves the load.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
What I recall he suggests for loads in the '06 is H4350. Start at maximum, and load down until you find an accurate load. Going to try that in the reverse order myself. I'm also going to try Ramshot Big Game the same way. E

Never said start at maximum.
Too bad they don't make a 7mm!!
I worked up a load for my Gen 1 Ti in 30-06. I used cci 250's ww brass and h4350. Shoots right a 1 moa and clocks in 3030-3050 range from the 22" factory tube. I hoped to try it on something this year but knee surgery threw my season off.

Bb
The Speers I use to hunt with are nasty. Shot a little doe that was good ways out there, they look alot bigger through a scope I must say and I was disappointed in myself, but meat is meat. Anyways, at about 150 yards it left a massive exit HOLE, not wound. I could have stuck my fist inside of it fairly easily. I think the Scenar would work fine, but other bullets might do a better job at shorter ranges. Still, this is the long range hunting section. Just my 2�.
Pat,

You don't have some close up pics of that shooting rest, do you?

I'd like to make myself something like that.
When looking over the Scenar 155 grain HPBT, I also saw a 155 grain HPBT-L..What is the difference..I would like to try a box of the bullets, but am not sure what the L stds. for..thanks...
Yes, of course. One should always work up. I think your comments refered to finding the fastest, accurate load. My data indicates H4350 will push a 155 gr. bullet faster than any of the other powders and it provides a full case, etc. E
Originally Posted by Eremicus
My data indicates H4350 will push a 155 gr. bullet faster than any of the other powders..... E

In a .308?? Tried any CFE yet?
No, in the 30'06. I have no data for CFE powder. E
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
When looking over the Scenar 155 grain HPBT, I also saw a 155 grain HPBT-L..What is the difference..I would like to try a box of the bullets, but am not sure what the L stds. for..thanks...

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/new-products/2
I Scenar'd this fellow earlier last fall.

[Linked Image]

While punched through both lungs, he took a few minutes to die. Autopsy showed that it passed through with about a .8" exit - both lungs had same size hole in them and very little evident trauma. No ribs or other bones hit. (Impact vel. ~ 2300)
I think a bit more velocity and hitting bone or thicker critter hide would be perfect.

Probably use this bullet again this year outta a '06.

TD, nice buck man! Great work!
Thanks man - how are those comp dies working out for you?
Originally Posted by tdn
I Scenar'd this fellow earlier last fall.

[Linked Image]

While punched through both lungs, he took a few minutes to die. Autopsy showed that it passed through with about a .8" exit - both lungs had same size hole in them and very little evident trauma. No ribs or other bones hit. (Impact vel. ~ 2300)
I think a bit more velocity and hitting bone or thicker critter hide would be perfect.

Probably use this bullet again this year outta a '06.

That's not a very large wound for a broadside shot!

I shot a large whitetail broadside at 280 yards with the 30-06 using Bergers 155 gr VLD 'hunting' bullet. The estimated impact velocity is 2000 fps.

The exit wound was very large and the buck died quickly.

I am not saying that the VLD I used is an 'all around' bullet. From what I know of it and similar bullets I would not take a raking shot with it.

Originally Posted by tdn
Thanks man - how are those comp dies working out for you?
I totally messed up and got a case stuck in the sizer, so it's got to be sent back to RCBS because I've exhausted my resources laugh

The seater is fantastic.
Why don't you just use a stuck case remover and do it yourself? RCBS sells a kit for cheap. You can also make your own.
Because there is a broken Tap inside the stuck case... laugh

Don't ask me how the Tap broke.
That's very interesting. My theory is that the front of the Scenars shears off or breaks up and allows the back 2/3's to penetrate quite well. Sort of like a Barnes X that looses it's petals.
What apparently also happens is that they stay on course when they do their killing. In sharp contrast to the Bergers perhaps, but work they odviously do. E
Originally Posted by Tanner

Not an issue. Just use the kit to get the decapping/expander ball assembly out of the die, and then you use a steel rod (included in the kit) to smack the stuck case out of the die body. Tap or no tap, it'll pound out just fine.
Originally Posted by Tanner

All been there brother grin

Glad to hear the seater is working - it's a slick set-up
aalf, thanks...
Anybody care to share their 30-06 load data? Mine shoots great with a stiff charge of H4350.
Mine likes a stiff charge of H4350 as a well, say 60-61 grs. 58 grs. of Ramshot Big Game works a bit better, however. Winchester and Hornady cases. E
I've only chrono'd 3 so far. Averaged 3140fps with 61grs. H4350

24" Krieger
tag
I've only killed three animals with the 155gr Scenar so far, All launched from my .308 at a MV of about 2865. Initial impressions are that it is a MUCH harder bullet than a Berger Hunting VLD or Ballistic Tip and that internal damage is not nearly as severe.

Shot this sow at about 125 yards. Bullet the bullet through the boiler room. Exit wound was not huge. Blood trail was minimal. She ran about 100 yards. With Hunting VLDs, I usually don't get an exit on pigs of this size, but they also usually don't make it more than a few steps.

[Linked Image]

Shot this youngster the same morning at 165 yards. He was facing me straight on and I put a bullet in the center of his chest. DRT. Bullet exited vicinity of his hips. Exit wound was not much larger than bullet diameter.

[Linked Image]

Shot this buck opening day this year. He was a hair over 300 yards, slightly quartering away. I put the bullet in the last rib on the near side. It exited the front part of the opposite shoulder, center punching the heart en route. The exit wound was very small and there was no blood trail to speak of. The buck ran 40 - 50 yards. Internal damage was minimal to every thing but the heart, which was nearly split in two.

[Linked Image]

The 155gr Scenars have been VERY easy to get to shoot well, easier for me than is typical with the Hunting VLD, but, so far, I much prefer the on-game performance of the Hunting VLDs or Nosler Ballistic Tips. I'll probably use the Scenars on critters some more, but will likely try to center punch shoulders when doing so.

John
I have 2 .308's and I am interested in loading the 155 Scenar bullits. I have been reading the results of all the hunting experience with them with little info. on load data. I also shoot a 30/06 but mainly the .308's get the most attention. Can some of you share your load data? I have a supply of most of the appropriate powders for a .308.
Was wondering if 8208XBR would be good with the 155 Scenar. Most of you have far more experience with the lighter bullet than I do. I manly shoot 16 - 175 gr. in mine. Both are Rem. 700 Varmint contour 24" and 26" barrels. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ... LARRY
Larry, I bet you will find a load in this thread....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2255435/Good_308_Loads#Post2255435
Larry,
If you will look backwards a few days you will see my experience from Nov 01 of this year on cow elk. Long story short, 325yds, 155 Secnar at 2930, dead elk, but no exit wound. I did not hit bone. The bullet was placed in the crease behind the right front shoulder and was found between the hide and the muscle on the opposite side. My load was 46.5 gr of 4064. Super accurate, was an easy load to work . I just probably wont use the 155 again for elk, I like an exit wound.
Bill
I bought a used 700 308 from pat for my boy. He had the load data for it and I used it. 45.5 grains of varget and 155 grain scenars. Maximum oal. This chronos right at 2800fps. Shoots very tight groups. My boy shot a big mulie with it at 320yds.through both lungs and a 2inch hole out the shoulder. The buck hobbled about 60 yards and he shot him again. Bullet hit about 4inches back from the first one.not as big of an exit hole, as it did not hit a rib going out. These bullets expand fine, but are thicker jacketed than bergers. Excellent accuracy.
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Too bad they don't make a 7mm!!

Yeah, what's up with that??!!
Have 200 .284 180 grain scenars on my loading table as I write this. And Graf and sons has them in stock also.
Aren't those the Scenar-L ?
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis
Larry,
If you will look backwards a few days you will see my experience from Nov 01 of this year on cow elk. Long story short, 325yds, 155 Secnar at 2930, dead elk, but no exit wound. I did not hit bone. The bullet was placed in the crease behind the right front shoulder and was found between the hide and the muscle on the opposite side. My load was 46.5 gr of 4064. Super accurate, was an easy load to work . I just probably wont use the 155 again for elk, I like an exit wound.
Bill

That's hilarious. You shoot one animal with it, it dies a few seconds later, and you claim it didn't work for you....

What's the jacket thickness on the Scenars? This is a 155 hybrid I cut away. Jacket thickness is .035 and the hollow point is .400 deep with a fairly open meplate.
[Linked Image]
Scenar just a new version. Supposedly the tolerance's are tighter.
I just probably wont use the 155 again for elk, I like an exit wound.

Dead critters trump exit wounds. Unless you can't find the carcass.

Since this bullet seems to perform so well in the 308 at long range, how do you reckon it would do at 3200fps +?
Pat, No sir,I did not claim it did not work for me, please reread my post. I said I PREFERRED an exit. I readily admitted it killed the cow elk. I was fortunate that my shot went where it was supposed to go and death in the vitals is certain. Its just how quickly death happens and how far an animal might run.
In fact I sent you an PM prior to ever using the Secnar asking about performance based on your experience, your experience was valuable info to me as I had not used the bullet for hunting. Yet my experience didn't mimic yours. I only tried to give another example ( yes, sample of one that came out ok, but could have been otherwise)of the terminal performance the Secnar. I am surprised that another opinion cant be stated on here without the ridicule of being considered "hilarious"....
Bill
Pat, No sir,I did not claim it did not work for me, please reread my post. I said I PREFERRED an exit. I readily admitted it killed the cow elk. I was fortunate that my shot went where it was supposed to go and death in the vitals is certain. Its just how quickly death happens and how far an animal might run.
In fact I sent you an PM prior to ever using the Secnar asking about performance based on your experience, your experience was valuable info to me as I had not used the bullet for hunting. Yet my experience didn't mimic yours. I only tried to give another example ( yes, sample of one that came out ok, but could have been otherwise)of the terminal performance the Secnar. I am surprised that another opinion cant be stated on here without the ridicule of being considered "hilarious"....
Bill

Isn't that true for every bullet?
DT,
Not sure I understand your question. The intent of every shot fired at game should be a quick and certain death and should be shot at a vital area. In the field, we know that every shot doesn't always hit that intended spot. The perfect shot should always yield perfect results but again that doesn't always happen. I have seen bullets that were supposed to be reliable performers hit exactly where aimed yet the bullet didn't perform as advertised or expected. No explanation why they didn't perform, just that they didn't. Terminal ballistics is still a studied subject and every season we read on this forum and others where bullets don't perform as expected.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Dead critters trump exit wounds. Unless you can't find the carcass.

Personally, I think exit wounds are over-rated and would've been pleased with that performance, but if someone else likes or wants them, more power to him.

You're right about not finding the carcass though. That always equals bullet failure.
Not finding a carcass might equal bullet failure or a non-lethal hit. Without a carcass, how do you know.
Exactly. But you hear that all the time.
And it's not necessarily the bullet's fault. When I was 35 (which was a few years ago) an older hunter told me the .308 Winchester was a POS deer cartridge. He knew this because he'd shot two deer with it, right in the heart, and never found either buck.
Ha. When I was about 22 (more years ago) I had a guy sing the praises of his lever action .35 Remington. Because he'd shot a doe with it once, up on a mountainside at 350 yards. With open sights. He was a guy who never needed to get very far from the truck, because that's where the hot coffee was. And the best stories. That one came from within yards of the truck.
Bumping this thread up for the upcoming season!
Good idea. Looking forward to the latest developments.
The Laupa web site write up for the new Scenar L bullet shows a picture of a bullet with a lead core much closer to the nose of the bullet than any sectioned Scenar bullet that I have seen. The Scenar L bullet hollow point appears to be less than half that of the regular Scenar bullet. Has anyone here split a Scenar L bullet? If so, please post the picture.
My hunting partner will be using the 155's in a 300 h&h this year for lopes. I'll report back on results. They are moving along at 3250.
I received this answer from Lapua when I ask about the Scenar L bullets.

"Hi Richard,

No, that’s not exactly the case. Frankly, we have a wide assortment of Scenars and Scenar Ls. Some have been slightly altered for ballistic reasons, and some are virtually identical to their standard Scenar counterparts. In short, the illustration is for conveying the conceptual idea only, and is not an engineering type of diagram.

I hope this answers your question, but if there’s anything more we can do to be of service, please don’t hesitate to let us know. As always, we’ll be glad to help.

Sincerely,

Kevin Thomas
NAMMO/Lapua
409 E. Second St.
Sedalia, MO 65302
(660) 826-3232"
I ordered a box of 155's (the "standard" Scenar). The immediate need is for a .30-06 M70 Fwt. If they work I'll give them a whirl in a fussy .300 Weatherby. Heck they might work in a .308 AR, too.

The "L" version would be good to know about, as well.

That 155 Scenar should take the "boredom" out of the 30-06 for the rifle aficionados. Numbers wise its hard to beat. Clearly dead-schit wise it is too.
And somewhere buried on this site is a cut away of a Scenar and Berger. Good luck finding it, because I can't.
Ramshot says 3000 fps is attainable with 155's. The 70 has a 22" barrel, so I'll be happy with 2900. Pity it's not my #1, which has a 26". BG will easily drive 150's over 3100 in that rifle.
Found it!
7mm's L-R, 150 Scenar,180 Scenar and a 168 Berger

[Linked Image]

Anybody tried the 155 Scenar in the 300 Win mag? My new to me encore barrel didn't shoot 165 partitions well, but liked the 180's much better.
Loading to do, loading to do!
here is the exit of two 155's on a 8+ score brown bear
300 wsm fueled with a healthy dose of rl 17
[Linked Image]

needless to say the guide was impressed and there was really no point in the second shot
Damn them are some exit holes for sure.....how far did that bear go after the shot?......pretty impressive. I'll try either the 155's in my 308, or the 139 out of 260 in a few weeks from now on a cow elk or two.
well my hunting pard shot his antalope with the 155 scenar. the lope got all of the 3200 fps from the 300 h&h. the shot can at about 50 yrds. after a 1/2 mile stalk in the fog, we came over a ridge and he was close enough to hit with a rock.
caliber size hole going in and a 1.5" exit, the jacket fell out of the exit hole during field dressing. it was peeled back all the way to the base, and looked like a tsx. no core was left.
it resulted in a dead antelope. the old "bang flop" if you will. we will continue using the scenar because a sample of one "ain't" enough to make a good evaluation.
now in need to try them in my 30-06 and 308
about 2 feet
180 L next to 162Amax, for schits and giggles...

[Linked Image]

Fancy butt too

[Linked Image]
I killed a large 6pt bull elk about two weeks ago in Idaho. Somewhere in the 320 inch range. I used 155 grain scenars in a 308. The shot was 200yds, the bull didn't know I was there. At the shot the bull ran about 15 or 20yds, stopped, and then tumbled down the hill. He was dead in about 5 or 6 seconds after the shot. I hit the bull through both lungs, deliberately missing the shoulders. The bullet hit a rib on the way in, so expansion was immediate. There was a hole through both lungs about the size of a golf ball. What was left of the bullet was under the off side hide. No exit hole. I was amazed at how quick the bull died. The destruction of vitals by the scenar bullet was very impressive.
What are you guys using in the 300wm. 155's,175,167?
Originally Posted by 16bore
180 L next to 162Amax, for schits and giggles...

[Linked Image]

Fancy butt too

[Linked Image]

Plenty of bearing surface on the 180.
I just shot a huge Russian boar after dark tonight with a 155 scenar. 200 yards 2 and 1/2 hours after sunset using an Elusive Wildlife brand Blindsider green light. Rifle was a Weatherby Vanguard II, .30-06 caliber with about 2850 MV using a load of 56 grains of IMR 4350. This rifle doesn't open easy with higher loads. The scope is a 4X12 Leupold VX-R with lighted reticle. Everthing lined up perfect, the light was on, the hog was eating, the hold and shot were steady. Fired at mid ribs and after recovery from recoil the hog was gone. Rifle is sighted in at that distance and I can't believe it was a miss. Haven't missed one shooting from a dead rest in years. No blood, no hair, nothing. I have noticed when shooting milk jugs full of water the Scenar does not blow them up like our .270 with Winchester Power Points does. Will report back tomorrow after my son and his girlfriend and I do a search. Wasn't too interested in tracking dangerous game alone in the dark Louisiana jungle. I'm on Xarelto blood anti coagulant and could end up bleeding more than the pig.
155’s at 3250 FPS from my 300 wsm Montana sure impresses everything I have used it for. 1-1.5” exits and the wound channel is always straight and solid so I don’t think they are tumbling or blowing up from my experiences.
Anybody using them in an ugly black rifle?

Mike
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Anybody using them in an ugly black rifle?

My AR10 loved them over R15, 47gr IIRC. Sub moa was the rule and it left nothing to be desired from that rifle
Originally Posted by Hastings
I just shot a huge Russian boar after dark tonight with a 155 scenar. 200 yards 2 and 1/2 hours after sunset using an Elusive Wildlife brand Blindsider green light. Rifle was a Weatherby Vanguard II, .30-06 caliber with about 2850 MV using a load of 56 grains of IMR 4350. This rifle doesn't open easy with higher loads. The scope is a 4X12 Leupold VX-R with lighted reticle. Everthing lined up perfect, the light was on, the hog was eating, the hold and shot were steady. Fired at mid ribs and after recovery from recoil the hog was gone. Rifle is sighted in at that distance and I can't believe it was a miss. Haven't missed one shooting from a dead rest in years. No blood, no hair, nothing. I have noticed when shooting milk jugs full of water the Scenar does not blow them up like our .270 with Winchester Power Points does. Will report back tomorrow after my son and his girlfriend and I do a search. Wasn't too interested in tracking dangerous game alone in the dark Louisiana jungle. I'm on Xarelto blood anti coagulant and could end up bleeding more than the pig.

My neighboring landowner just now reported to me that I in fact did kill this hog in question. He expired about 500 yards from point of impact after not leaving a trace of blood in the vicinity where he was shot. I held the crosshairs further back than usual on this hog due to his shoulder being behind the T-post mounted feeder. The bullet must have passed through with little to no expansion maybe behind the diaphragm. Three nights ago I shot another hog at the same place and distance. This time with a Hornady 150 grain flat base lead nosed bullet. This hog was shot low quartering away. I aimed at the back ribs with the line of bullet travel toward the off side shoulder. Still no blood at all, but dead within 40 steps. I can't disown the 155 Scenar over this but it sure does seem to not expand without meeting considerable resistance or shot at considerable velocity.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Yes, lets do this again.

Looking forward to another hunting season.

I just might run with my .308 Win. this year. I'm thinking it would be a good move on my part.

I'm just about all dialed in with the 155's I also have a load with 168 grain, Nosler Long Rang A/B.

Wish you all the best.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Yes, lets do this again.

I just might run with my .308 Win. this year. I'm thinking it would be a good move on my part.

I'm just about all dialed in with the 155's I also have a load with 168 grain, Nosler Long Rang A/B.

Wish you all the best.

This cow got Scenar'ed with my 20" .308 T3. she was a shade over 600 yards (about 615).
She was moving through the trees and while I actually meant to put the bullet right behind her shoulder, I caught her square on the shoulder, but given the uphill shooting position that I had I did not complain.

[Linked Image]

It is the only time I have ever caught one of the projectiles too. Found it just inside the offside hide.
Did precisely what I needed it to do. Filled my freezer with zero drama, as always.
Lots of .308 and 30-06 experience here with the 155, how bout 300 wsm and win mag? Specifically in regards to elk.
I have a hundred coming I bought in a bullet lot. I’m curious what they look like. I’ll probably never use them.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a hundred coming I bought in a bullet lot. I’m curious what they look like. I’ll probably never use them.

I'll take them off your hands for a reasonable price.

Yes, lets do this again.

Wish you all the best.

This cow got Scenar'ed with my 20" .308 T3. she was a shade over 600 yards (about 615).
She was moving through the trees and while I actually meant to put the bullet right behind her shoulder, I caught her square on the shoulder, but given the uphill shooting position that I had I did not complain.

[Linked Image]

It is the only time I have ever caught one of the projectiles too. Found it just inside the offside hide.
Did precisely what I needed it to do. Filled my freezer with zero drama, as always.

What velocity is the bullet leaving the barrel at? I also have a 20” 308 (with a suppressor) that I’d like to be effective on game out to 600 yards. Tricky thing is my very accurate 155 load leaves the barrel around 2720 FPS and holds 2000 FPS out to 500 yards. I’ve seen many examples on this forum of people having success with velocity at and above 2000 FPS

You are one of the few people I’ve been able to find that is shooting a 155 out of a short barrel, lower velocity 308 and making long kills. How did the bullet perform? Was there much trauma inside the elk? Where did you hit the elk at?
Y’all keep shooting these BS bullets. When it comes down to a boone and Crockett you will lose his ass. Does and small bucks will make you think it’s the greatest bullet of all time. A buddy didn’t listen and lost a booner this year!!
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Y’all keep shooting these BS bullets. When it comes down to a boone and Crockett you will lose his ass. Does and small bucks will make you think it’s the greatest bullet of all time. A buddy didn’t listen and lost a booner this year!!

BWAAAAHAAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!!!!
Yeah! a "big buck" is mo bigga than the ELK MacKay shot..

Or NOT!!

Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guess I just lucky on this B&C mule deer buck......;)

I've been lucky so damn many times, I can't count them......
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Guess I just lucky on this B&C mule deer buck......;)

Geez Pat! Shooting a BS target bullet! Lucky you even hit a B&C deer let alone killed it!🤣🤣🤣🤣
Man that picture never gets old! Truly a gorgeous buck and scenery! Congrats again!
CC,

I’m not MacKay, but if you search under his name there are a lot of photos of him and his girls with dead elk and a 308 Tikka rifle.

I’ve never seen him post where that combo failed on an Elk.
I’ve only used the 155 Scenar on probably 10-12 game animals but never had a single concern about its expansion or ability to kill what’s it’s aimed at very quickly.
This was copied from Pats 308 24hr campfire load.

.308(green rifle)
155gr Lapua scenar
Lapua brass
45.5grs Varget
Wolf(Tula)LRM primer
2.810" coal
2950fps.

Pat, what barrel length on that .308 (green rifle)?
Originally Posted by 308ld
This was copied from Pats 308 24hr campfire load.

.308(green rifle)
155gr Lapua scenar
Lapua brass
45.5grs Varget
Wolf(Tula)LRM primer
2.810" coal
2950fps.

Pat, what barrel length on that .308 (green rifle)?

24" #3 Rock, 1-11"
Thank you sir.
I didn't read the entire rhread, but does anyone have any experience with the 178's? Specificlly on whitetail and black bear in the east. Thanks.
Originally Posted by CCgunner

Yes, lets do this again.

Wish you all the best.

[Linked Image]

What velocity is the bullet leaving the barrel at? I also have a 20” 308 (with a suppressor) that I’d like to be effective on game out to 600 yards. Tricky thing is my very accurate 155 load leaves the barrel around 2720 FPS and holds 2000 FPS out to 500 yards. I’ve seen many examples on this forum of people having success with velocity at and above 2000 FPS

You are one of the few people I’ve been able to find that is shooting a 155 out of a short barrel, lower velocity 308 and making long kills. How did the bullet perform? Was there much trauma inside the elk? Where did you hit the elk at?

It has been the only 155 Scenar I have ever caught.

.2700 at the muzzle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I keep thinking I need to put together a longer barrel .308, to get some faster speeds but then I look at my safe and see that I have a .300 WM for such purposes. Plus the little 20" gun keeps tipping things over just fine. And it is sure is nice to carry such a lightweight little thing up the steep azz mountains. smile
I am going to try out the 139’s on a muley hunt this November out of a creed pushing them around 2900fps. Hope they work out well!
Originally Posted by Motown
I am going to try out the 139’s on a muley hunt this November out of a creed pushing them around 2900fps. Hope they work out well!

What powder do you use to reach that velocity if you don’t mind me asking? Not that I can go out and get it if I don’t already have it.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Motown

What powder do you use to reach that velocity if you don’t mind me asking? Not that I can go out and get it if I don’t already have it.

I am using Reloader 26 out of a 24” barrel tikka. I run the 135 bergers at 2960 and the 139’s at 2890.
Thank you. Maybe it won’t be too terribly long before things become available again. I’m in good shape on what I need but I would try 26 if it was setting around.
Anybody tried the 150s out of a 7mm-08? Same results? Sierra has a new 140 thats has nice numbers, whether they accurate idk.
308 Winchester 155 gr Scenar at @ 2900

300 WSM 155 gr Scenar @ 3285

Each shoot under 3/8” at 100 yards consistently & have delivered one shot kills thus far.
The 155 Scenar that I shot out of my .30-06 at about 2800 delivered very poor expansion on ribcage shots on large feral hogs. Some traveled a pretty good piece before expiration. Like 300-400yards. These shots were 200+ yards and most were hit a little high. Quit using them and went to 1800 SST and 180 Speer RN for better results. The Scenar was very accurate.
How's the 1800 STS do?

Originally Posted by Hastings
went to 1800 SST ....for better results.
bumping this to keep it alive
Will the 155 Scenars take a bit of a jump to the lands and still be accurate? I've set my Remington .308 barrel back one thread (0.0625") but its still got a long throat but .0625" less than originally.
I had them shoot pretty well in a factory 24" 700 5R over RL15 at close to 2,900fps. They were loaded around 2.9" in a DBM, if I recall. Fairly long jump.
They’ve shot excellent in ARs for me at 2.8.
My son's 308 barrel has been set back 3/8" from 24"and the coal is 2.78" and getting 2900+ with TAC.
I picked up some TAC and CFE-223, I’m going to try some just for fun. Kinda hard to beat Varget in a 308 Win.
Take care
Where did ScenarShooter get off to ??

He's been gone for over a year.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Sick of the dbags on this site.
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Sick of the dbags on this site.

It is hard to get on this sight sometimes, but there are nuggets that make it worthwhile.
Thanks, I've always enjoyed his posts.
© 24hourcampfire