Home
Posted By: NMSSHOOTER Front rest for bench work - 05/05/14
Been using sand bags but wanting to get a front rest, what do y'all recommend?
I know these can get expensive and budget pretty tight rite now so try to keep recommendations reasonable. I would rather save and buy a decent one if I have to to get one that works. Thanks
I have an older version of the Sinclair Heavy Varmint rest (mine no longer appears to be in production). The new Light Weight they offer should be just fine for $100 less (after buying a top). I have gotten to where I only do my initial sighting in and load development from one and do all the rest of my shooting from and Atlas bipod, Bog-Pod tripod, or backpack.
Has anyone used the Caldwell rock or rock br?
Posted By: aalf Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/05/14
Save your money.....

The majority of the buyers of those tend to peddle them right quick when accuracy and distance get serious.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/05/14
Any thoughts on the Bald Eagle windage adjustable rests sold by Grizzly Industrial?
NMSSHOOTER - The Caldwell's better than the less expensive (nothing's cheap anymore) Hoppe's front rest that I used for years. BUT as stated...when serious accuracy is desired, not just load development, a better, more precise rest i.e. Ransom is usually purchased. Caldwell's do make fine door stops however... Homesteader
The Bald Eagle is a good rest, but for normal plinking and range work, you don't need a windage top.

Budget is a subjective thing, but heavy is good. An aluminum, rest may be OK, but I'd keep a couple of sand bags on the legs to stop them from moving around. I prefer a rest top that lets you support and squeeze the sides of the bags to match the forend like Hart's Comp II front rest:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: TXRam Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/05/14
I have the Rock and a Hart like pictured above. Obviously the Hart is nicer, better, etc, but I still think the Rock is usable and has it's place. I take it for my son or a friend to use. When shooting lighter and/or lighter recoiling rifles it works just fine, but it's not heavy enough when shooting the bigger calibers.
This is Sinclair's latest version, not cheap at $300:

[Linked Image]

There's a pile of good used Hart and Sinclairs out there. I put an ad on Accurate Shooter looking for an older one, and found the one in my pics.
That's what I will probably do, find a used one. I'm gonna keep researching and hope a good one will find its way to the house.
Do y'all like the hart or Sinclair better?
Posted By: aalf Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/06/14
I paid $150 for the base, mariner wheel, and stem. I had several tops, so it worked out well.

I use it for every day shooting, and to take prairie dogging. I ended up screwing lag bolts in from the bottom, so I could slide it around on the bench fairly easy, but the weight keeps it mostly in place. If it moves shooting the bigger stuff, I put a couple of sand bags on the legs.
Since this is in a hunting forum I suggest you rest the rifle the way you would in the field.

At the bench I use 'sand' bags with a soft folded towel over the front bag.

In the field I might rest the forend on my backpack which is soft and similar to what I use at the range.

I bought one of those heavy rests similar to whats pictured above.

I was shooting my custom stocked Sako .375 Improved. The wood was upscale and done by a favorite old smith. The rifle jumped off of the front rest and hit the edge of the solid steel plate that holds the front leather. It put a dent in the stock.

Now to think about it I am going to leave it at the local gun shop.

This is what I use:

[Linked Image]

Note the note paper on the bench under the stapler. I record the load, bbl. condition, wind, and where the first shot hits from cold bbl. along with the pressure indications and group.
The pre-64 custom above has a well done stock and I don't want to dent another stock on a metal front rest.

[Linked Image]

I don't rest the stock on the metal. Hence, no dents on the stock.
[Linked Image]

Here is the rest pictured in this topic.

See the metal front holder with the leather in it? My rifle is a .375 Improved and the recoil caused the forend to bounce off of the front leather.

My rest is a Sinclair with an even larger steel plate.

Posted By: aalf Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/06/14
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Since this is in a hunting forum I suggest you rest the rifle the way you would in the field.

Since the OP asked about rests, we could giveashit what you suggest.....
I use the soft towel thats like the backpack I shoot off of.

Posted By: TXRam Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/06/14
Originally Posted by aalf

Agreed! Who gives a $hit where the question was asked...???
Wow, you guys have light triggers. Seems to me that Savage 99 has a right to express his opinion too. For what it's worth, I work up my loads shooting off a front bag and a small rear bag. Works fine. Been doing it like that for years. Of course, if I was into serious long range competitive shooting, I'd upgrade the bags. Heck...I'd upgrade the rifle and scope...
Posted By: TXRam Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/06/14
603 - stick around a while and you'll understand! wink
Yes, I haven't been on this forum long enough to have an opinion on who to take seriously and who to take with a grain of salt. It won't take long.
Originally Posted by TXRam

Agreed! Who gives a $hit where the question was asked...???

TXRam,

My suggestion that the rifeman consider a soft bag and towel was an alternative. I gave a reason why I use it with the damage to the hard kicking 375. Of course with less recoil they are favored for the bench.

However I also mentioned hunting and to consider the way we test and sight in at the bench work when hunting. smile
I guess the Sinclair is the general idea for the best or standard
This is Sinclair's latest version, not cheap at $300:

[Linked Image]

There's a pile of good used Hart and Sinclairs out there. I put an ad on Accurate Shooter looking for an older one, and found the one in my pics.

Yes, I agree with aalf. Sinclair's latest GenII is very nice but there's a lot of really nice used rests out there.

When I started BR I was on a very limited budget. I found a used Rock BR and was able to have fun.

This Rock BR weighs 17lbs 11.6ozs with heavy sand in a small sporter bag
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Other than a good bag on top, the best option is the Rest Nest to haul around your rest.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And after I got into it on a regular basis I needed a better more precision rest. I tried a few high end rests that other were using out at our range and settled on the Sinclair Competition model. Now I can't use my rest as an excuse anymore.
[Linked Image]

This rest weighs 32lbs 2.2ozs with heavy sand in a 2.25" bag
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/a...d%20Varmint/5-8009_zps19dec716.jpg[/img]

Posted By: aalf Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/08/14
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
I tried a few high end rests that other were using out at our range and settled on the Sinclair Competition model.

I use my Hart/Sinclair rest for load work and PD's, but when the gloves come off, I use a 1st generation Competition Rest Sinclair made 20 years ago, for a short period of time, that they resurrected the blue print from for the new version like yours.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: xphunter Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/08/14
When the gloves come off I use either a NEO, MAX, or Joy-Pod.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Of course being a dealer sways your opinion.....
Bad azz set up there aalf....I'm liking your Dasher rig too !
Thanks....they're both Dashers.

Although I'm down to the grey Light Gun, I just sold the black/purple HG...
New Dasher on the way?

Cool thing I like about our Sinclairs is the windage and elevation knobs are close together. I can use either one without really moving my hand.
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
New Dasher on the way?

Cool thing I like about our Sinclairs is the windage and elevation knobs are close together. I can use either one without really moving my hand.

Nope, I'm scaling back. The little I'm going to shoot 1K, I'm going to have at it with just the Light. I have 3 barrels for it, 1 in it's golden years, another in it's prime, and the 3rd is a virgin, so I'm set for a while.

I cut my competition teeth on point blank BR and was never a bag squeezer, and hated the idea of a windage top being so far away, so when Sinclair came out with this one, it was a match made in heaven.
Posted By: xphunter Re: Front rest for bench work - 05/08/14
Of course being a dealer sways your opinion.....

I am biased-I admit it! grin
Those are some nice setups there y'all have.
© 24hourcampfire